All parent member reviews for Sesame Street

Parent Written bySesame Street Review May 31, 2011

Elmo's world skit a disappointment

I have watched multiple episodes of recent episodes of Sesame Street with my 3 year old and 1 year old. I grew up watching this television show and only have fond memories of it. One skit in particular really bothers me about the show, enough so that I will not let my kids watch the show because of it. It's the skit feature, Mr. Noodle, or "Nuno" on Elmo's world. The adults are portrayed as complete idiots who can't understand simple instructions. It is not funny as it is intended to be, it's insulting and teaches kids to view adults as idiots. We have a problem in this society that kids think they know more than adults...lets not encourage it through educational shows like Sesame Street. If children are to value education, they should be taught to at least respect and recognize that most adults can teach them instead of the other way around. VERY disappointed.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydroleo November 8, 2010

The Street Has Changed

What happened to this show? We rented some of the older episodes from the 1970s to watch with our 2-year-old. They were sweet, peaceful, funny and educational. So we thought we'd tune into the new ones and...wow, things have changed. The show is a lot more hyperactive and abrasive. There's a lot less focus on teaching letters and numbers, and a lot on teaching science and conservation, which seemed a bit beyond the show's younger demographic. Tons of celebrity cameos. Yesterdays bits with Ray Charles and classical musicians and jazz legends has given way to the kind of processed pop music you find all over the radio. I thought Sesame Street was supposed to be an alternative to mainstream commercial children's entertainment, but it seems like nowadays it just wants in the game.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 14 year old Written byKako January 19, 2015

A Favourite

When Noggin showed this series at late-afternoon time slots, I couldn't keep away from watching it with my kids! The older episodes (shown as part of Noggin's Sesame Street Unpaved) were great with Ernie and his roommate, a cranky Muppet named Bert. However, these older episodes lack the educational value of shows like "Oobi" simply because the standards have changed over time. Ernie's pessimistic friend Bert has a few lines that wouldn't be allowed in today's shows, such as "You found some poor dingaling, someone so dumb...someone so stupid...that he's going to let you cut his hair?" (from the sketch "Ernie's Barber Shop") and occasional outbursts. The later episodes (showcased in Noggin's 123 Sesame Street) tone down this kind of stuff by including less of Ernie's roommate. Nowadays, since Noggin shut down, I can never watch it as it is only given a degrading timeslot of 4:30 AM on a poor-quality network called "PBS Kids Sprout." Not to mention that the network only airs episodes from seasons 25-present, this is not suitable for such a high-quality programme. I suggest Sesame Workshop restart Noggin or a similar work!
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 December 5, 2014

Sesame Street is NOT just for preschoolers.

I love Sesame Street, because, of the muppets, the good morals, the fun, catchy songs, and, of the high quality. Even though academically, it targets to preschoolers, but, even adults can still enjoy this show, because, they have priorities, when they did meal or no meal, that was a priority of deal or no deal, preschoolers wouldn't understand the priorities they do. Sesame Street is a lot more educational now-a-days, they teach more than letters, numbers, and, shapes, now, they teach kids about spanish, science, gravity, paleontology, etc. Elmo the musical is so much better than Elmo's World. I'd prefer Elmo the musical, because, it's more adventurous and it has more fun, catchy songs. Elmo's World was a little too silly, but, still good.
Parent Written byrandomguy222 June 9, 2015

Best educational show for little kids

SUNNY DAYS SINCE THE 60s,that's right if you've never seen sesame street at least once then you should.I don't watch it anymore since I'm now grown up but I still see it with my little members of my family and its very educational for little kids.(I like big bird more than Elmo as a main character) it deals with a lot of stuff like money,hurricanes,finance,business,DEATH(mr.Hoppers death),even an unaired episode about divorce.(old sesame street though touched more life subjects than the new one).It's way better than Barney that teaches kids that life is rainbows and too much junk food is good.or cailou which teaches that to get stuff in life you have to be a jerk and whine.let your kids watch sesame street,nothing inappropriate. The number of the day is 87. The letter of the day is F. Have a good baloney and kids free day.
Adult Written bymememememe1 June 4, 2012

i think its bad

it it terribal
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

A good show

The characters are fun and my kids love the show.
Parent Written byhannahs2 May 17, 2015

And the winner is.....

Sesame Street!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byMelissaBestMom April 6, 2014

Favourite cartoon

My children adore this cartoon! They can spend lots of time watching it, unfortunately I can`t say the same about study. So I hope that if their favourite heroes speak to them from the screen it will be an excellent combination of entertainment and study. Of course it cannot replace written exercise (check written papers here check this writing service ) Eventually such approach is motivating and suitable in our digital age. I usually try to find some interesting and educating cartoons as it is impossible to avoid watching TV so let`s do it useful too.
Parent of a 1, 9, 10, 14, and 14 year old Written bycharmsmatuts August 15, 2011

Great for all ages!!!! So Cute!!!!!!

This is a very cute show! This is all puppets talking and teaching little kids early learning skills. Most puppet shows are creepy like Mr. Meaty. This show is not creepy at all. Cute. My daughter can talk now since she is 1 and I ask her questions on what she remembers from Sesame street, like if they would say something like "What is 4+3"? and my son will say 7. And he will answer most questions characters like Elmo would teach my son. Just because this show does stuff that little kids or babies will enjoy doesn't always mean it's only for little kids or babies, I mean, I used to watch this all the time when I was a kid, tween and teen, Well I didn't watch it too much because there were lots of shows I loved, even right now. There are some funny parts like When the cookie monster goes totally crazy over the cookies, Sometimes it would make kids think cookies were healthy which is not true. So they turned him into the Veggie monsters so they can teach kids how important it is to eat healthy foods. That is like one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I mean, Kids would get grossed out sometimes when they have to eat it but I have never laughed harder than this when I have seen somebody going insane over Veggies. When My kids go to school and hang out with their friends, They will always remember how to be a good friend which is what they learned from this show even though my kids 9-14 are too old for some things they already learned at different times instead of watching Sesame Street. It's 50% TV-Y and 50% TV-G. TV-G means this show is for anybody no matter what age. I LOVE IT!!!
Adult Written byJanH April 9, 2008

Lessons for all ages

The best part of Sesame Street is that it cares about kids of all ages and circumstances. It helps everyone deal with each other and shows the best way to interact with peers and all other ages. It helps children get rid of inhibitions and shows them that it GREAT to be different. You can't find such great content on any commercial network.
Parent Written bynickc1 February 23, 2015

Racist

Was watching a sesame street episode and the actors were telling Elmo how they loved the color of their skin. They didn't have a white person on saying how they liked the color of their skin. Why is that? Are white people not supposed to be proud of their skin? Is this what my son is going to grow up watching? It is just really a shame how Sesame Street has become racist towards white people.
Adult Written bybarneyhater November 30, 2014

good

Adult Written byLowe's man December 31, 2013

still teaches a lot

Over the last 45 years SESAME STREET has taught much. Kids have learned a lot while being entertained- and vice versa. If you ask people what they learned from SESAME STREET, you'll get a variety of different answers. As for what I learned, aside from letters, numbers and the beginnings of reading, I'd say that where I gained the most is with attention to detail, as the show put a lot of emphasis on same and different. Maybe that's why I did such an excellent job at the inventory job I had at Lowe's for 6 1/2 years. Management and others said that I was one of the best they'd ever seen at that job. Indeed my audits were almost always A's. As for what else I learned from this show, I learned that a job is a job. In other words, Gordon, a teacher, isn't at the top, and Luis and Maria, who run a repair shop, aren't at the bottom. On Sesame Street, everyone is equal, and all jobs are equal. Since I have Asperger's Syndrome, that means a lot to me. I owe a lot to this show. As for the recent changes, the show isn't what it used to be. But it's still good and has not strayed from its original goal of teaching and entertaining. Elmo is a bit annoying, though. Still, it's very much worth watching. It does and will both teach and entertain.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byMomma comma July 17, 2013

Who cares if parents like it!!!! Teaches my kids sooooo much

Educator and Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written byfraurice April 12, 2013

Old=Good, New=Bad

Sesame Street has evolved. So much so that I really don't like my kids watching the new episodes. It is now much to quick paced and doesn't show what I would consider to be positive social behavior. The OLDER Sesame Street episodes however, are a favorite. They may be out of date, but they are at least more age appropriate for my 2 year olds. I did go to a talk at the local library about Sesame Street, and the muppeteer for Cookie Monster said that the emphasis used to be on the pre-preschool set and now it is on the preschool/early elementary set. My advice...skip the horrendous, Elmo-centric new episodes, and get the dvds "Old School Sesame Street" or watch clips on YouTube.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 23, 2012

Todays review is brought to you by the letter "A" for AMAZING!

Sesame Street brings back lots of memories! It is very educational,it has positive messages,and there are so many positive role models!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 25, 2012

sesame street

Families can talk about the topics that each episode tackles. What did you learn about numbers and letters today? Watching with your kids will give you many creative play ideas -- try carrying a theme from the show into activities when the TV shuts off. Kids: How do the show's different styles and stories help you understand the featured topics? Do the songs help you remember some of what they're trying to teach? In what ways does the show reflect American culture? How do the characters represent their cultural heritages? How do the show's music, dance, and language teach you about the world's diversity?
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 29, 2012

ok

it's not that good
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 June 28, 2012

Sesame Street

My 2 yr. old daughter loves this show! Not only is it entertaining, but it is VERY educational. Five stars! :)