Cross-gender superhero makes light of sensitive issue.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBurnedToAsh August 11, 2013

SheZow is SheMazing!

I think SheZow is a fantastic show and I let my little brother and the kids I babysit watch it. Most people get nit-picky over the fact the SheZow is a guy but I love it. It's a really great show and it has the message that girls are as strong as boys. Girls can be the superhero too!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCupcakes1702 February 13, 2015

Watch Powerpuff Girls Instead

If you want your child to watch shows putting emphasis on female characters, skip watching this show and watch the Powerpuff Girls instead. (Even though it is violent)
Teen, 15 years old Written bybakeranimator December 21, 2015

Despite Concept, The Show is Surprisingly Sexist, Stereotypical, and Cliched Overall

You would think that a show with a cross-dressing lead character would present a a message about tolerance towards the subject. However, the character in question is very resentful of the female persona he had been forced to take on. Guy is also a very unlikeable character: he's sexist ("don't act like a girl, man!"), irresponsible, obnoxious, and overall obnoxious in nature. Now, one can assume that this Guy is supposed to grow as a character over time, and become a nicer person. Spoiler alert, that's not what happens. One season in and Guy is as unlikeable as ever. Most other characters are pretty stock, the know-it-all sister, the typical best friend, the computer voice, etc. The only other character worth bringing up is Guy's police officer father. All he does is complain about how SheZow makes a mess when she/he fights crime. He even roots for baddies when they beat SheZow up. You know, the POLICE OFFICER, people who are trained to HALT violence?!? Gosh, this show is stupid. I know it's a cartoon, but I can only stretch my suspension of disbelief so far. Any way, aside from the stock and /or unlikeable characters, the show also features some HORRIBLE Flash animation. Flash has a bad reputation of being a way to make animation as cheaply, quickly, and with as little effort as possible. Granted, not all Flash-animated shows are bad in the animation department. Good examples of Flash animation include My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and the online web-series Inanimate Insanity. The animation here, however, is horribly stilted, stiff, and not fitting for any highly physical or slapstick scenes that the show is trying to do. The character designs are HIDEOUS! All the characters have buggy, baggy eyes that are very unappealing to look at, and very odd height proportions and color choices. Why do the kids have grey highlights? They're 12 year olds, not 50 year olds. The writing of the show is very cliched. The writers seem to think that having a *ahem* "creative" concept (by creative I mean a cliched concept with a minor twist that doesn't change the formula at all) it gives you the ability to be very cliched. The plot of most episodes all follow some typical super hero/Saturday morning cartoon convention that anyone over the age of 7 has already seen in dozens of other, better shows. The humor is extremely lackluster. The jokes on the show are either recycled from other shows, or grating feminine pronoun puns. Ha ha, get it? SHE-mergency!!! On the bright side, the voice acting is pretty decent. The guy who voiced Double D on Ed, Edd, and Eddy voices Guy. Despite me easily recognizing his voice, I don't find it distracting, which isn't easily accomplished. However, good voice acting cannot save this ridiculously dumb show. There is a lot of garbage on TV for kids right now, but this is just insufferable.
Kid, 9 years old November 21, 2016
Parent Written bystuartj May 24, 2016

This is a crucial step

Its too bad the show got cancelled. Its a decent show. It's a step in the right direction to revealing the mix of masculinity and femininity that makes a real person. I'm not enthralled by the heavy stereotyping, but this show is just the tip of the iceberg. The ability to change ones gender(not sex) on the fly and still be the same person/have the same values is a great message in my eyes, because its about what's on the inside, not labels, that makes you who you are.