All member reviews for Sid the Science Kid

Boy's queries get kids curious about the world.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byjilljake January 12, 2011

Amazing

One of the best children's shows out there. So many elements of it make it a cut above the other fare. First, the depiction of the early childhood classroom is incredible. Teacher Susie is an ideal teacher for this age. Preschool teachers should watch her for professional development. She is dynamic, respectful, gentle, positive, and delivers lessons with great energy and creativity. She responds to the interests of the kids and capitalizes on teachable moments. The students are incredibly, and humorously, realistic. The show captures the energy, enthusiasm, and at times, chaos, of the early childhood classroom. I love the fact that one child is clearly hyperactive and the teacher treats him with respect and positivity. He is not sitting in the corner, but actively included and given room to be himself. The lessons represent the natural curiousity of this age group, and provide an excellent introduction to topics that parents can follow up on with conversation and books. And one of the best, though little noticed, aspects of the show is that Sid has interracial parents. How refreshing that this is included, not as the subject of the show, but as just another feature of Sid's life. We need so much more of that depicted in preschool television. And for the folks complaining about Grandma's voice -- I don't get it! I adore her. The love and affection she displays for Sid is wonderful, and she is perhaps the only elderly figure on children's tv who is presented as a dynamic, vital individual. Can't sing the praises of this show enough.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byRose Sims January 4, 2011

Creepy

Hated it. Compared to Sean The Sheep it's horrible. Yes this is better than Sesame Street and whatnot but this is still very strange how the voices, characters and overall theme is forced happiness all the time. So forced it's surreal and fake and I couldn't get passed it. Wouldn't want my daughter being this fake either. Intention was good, execution failed. As stated earlier, it creeps me out too!
Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2009

Well...

I do not like this show at all. The characters are very poorly decorated(I guess that's the word). Other people may like this show, but I hate it. The people creep me out.
Parent Written bygotham_avenger May 27, 2012

Worst Kid Show Ever!!!

I was at the convention where Jim Hensen's daughter introduced Sid the Science Kid. It seemed so great. I was excited about this new show. After watching this show, I have found that it is one of the most annoying shows ever. The more you watch it the more you hate it. The jokes are lame, the songs are annoying. May sounds like a computer. Sid has ADHD and is the most annoying of all. Sid always has a "Super-Duper-Shmouper-Idea;" My "Super-Duper-Shmouper-Idea" is not to watch this show. [I registered for this site to post this review.]
Parent of a 10 year old Written bybebushi September 8, 2010
Parent of a 2 year old Written byvikingwife25 January 21, 2013

Love it but has trouble measuring

My husband and I started letting our daughter watch this around 18 months and she has loved them. The videos have been perfect for our 10 hour road trips. We couple the activities along with the characters which allows for all types of learning. The only problem I have to date is with one of the measuring episodes. The animated characters measured each other correctly but the kids group did not. The child laid down and a 2x4 was placed at the top of the head and the next child put their feet at the top of the board and not the bottom. Not only did I notice the difference but my 2 year old did as well.
Parent of a 1 and 2 year old Written byspill December 10, 2012

Great show

I will say the characters creeped me out a little at first, but I got past that pretty quickly once I just watched it and now I really enjoy it and so does my almost 3 year old son. We can both learn, talk about what they're doing on the show, recreate it and explore outside just like Sid.
Parent Written byMurfTurf March 9, 2012

Highly advised!

Sid the Science Kid is a well organized and educational show for children. My son who is now four has watched it from age 2 and has developed an avid interest in science!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydroleo November 8, 2010

Good Stuff

I would love something like Sid that focused on letters and numbers. Still, although my 2 year old couldn't possibly understand the bigger concepts of each episode, the singing, dancing, and loving behavior between the characters makes it appealing and I think not detrimental for a 2-year-old. Great digital puppetry and designs, doesn't have the jerky and cheap look of a lot of other 3D cartoons. Overall, this seems to be replacing Sesame Street in our house - that show also seems more concerned with teaching concepts far beyond the grasp of it's target audience, with the characters getting louder and more obnoxious.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bylutheranmommy November 2, 2010

Awesome! 3 yr old has learn tons in 2 months of watching!!

Great for 2 and up really to start to learn about sceince and see very good role models - the mom, dad, teacher, grandma, and baby sister are all great. Will not get on your nerves - totally fun to watch - great songs and learning. Watch it!!!!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byJessica1100100110 April 2, 2013

Give it a shot! Great observations made for toddlers...

Apparently, this is a love it or hate it show for all ages. They only seem bothered by the production and not the material. I suggest watching an episode and deciding for yourself if you're ok with lackluster animation, quirky voices, repetitive song and dance, and the lack of emphasis on real emotion. After all, it is a SCIENCE show. Not Caillou or My Little Ponies. Beyond all that the shows give a very basic explanation on how and why things happen scientifically and observationally. That's great for toddlers! The last one I watched was about the decay of fruit and vegetables. Not very important but it gets them thinking.
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byMaKoski December 30, 2010

You learn something new every show.

I like the realness of the show... They are safety concerned. They use booster seats in the car, safety glasses, helmets,etc. I love that they use big words.
Educator and Parent Written bySharon.bowler@G... January 23, 2015

Love it, don't love the voices.

My 3 year old loves this show and she learns a lot from watching it. She has learned about the life cycle including growing, ripening, decay, and compost. I like Sid, Gabriela, Susie the teacher, and the parents. However, May, Jerold, and the Grandmother have horrible voices. Actually we like the grandmother but not her voice. May sounds like she is high, no idea what they are going for with that. Jerold sounds like an idiot. It's possible that they are aiming for a character kids can relate to, one who doesn't know everything all the time. But instead of him just blurting out stupid remarks, he should say something like, "I don't know." You know?
Parent of a 4 year old Written byHildsa January 1, 2011

ok

My son loves Sid, but I can't stand the characters voices, I wish they can something about it, espcially the grandmother!!! I don't understand why she has to talk like that, I don't think it is normal. and the kids voices and characters are not normal too. but my 4 year old loves it
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCvJ82 April 12, 2013

Great intro to science and discovery!

Although my son is 9 years old, his interest in science and science concepts have increased since watching Sid. I can only imagine what it will do for it's intended age group! Oh, and we loooove the catchy songs:-D
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBarrier Reef April 21, 2014

Just Awful

We were so, so happy when Sid was moved to another time and Martha Speaks replaced it. We both hated Sid!!! She'll use multi-syllable words appropriately from that show and she's 6.
Parent Written bymnv August 11, 2011

Annoying

Im grateful my daughter does not watch this show. Its like nails on a chalkboard.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byggmama May 4, 2011

Perfect for preschool kids

This is a great show -- educational and entertaining. It encourages learning through science and figuring out answers to questions. I will say that my son likes this show a lot more now (at 4) than he did a year ago. I love that it helps me explain "why" to some of the questions he asks. Some of my favorite episodes: why we wash our hands to keep from spreading germs, how the sun helps plants grow, how the water comes out of our faucet, etc. Good topics. Great show.
Parent of a 3, 8, and 10 year old Written bygrumpyjenn December 16, 2010

This one is a great one

My 3yo loves this show and my 8yo likes it enough to watch "a baby show" with her little sister. Doesn't get better than that
Kid, 2 years old November 25, 2015

hehehehehehe funy

this show coled sid the scyince kid is funy hehehehehehehehehehhehheehehheehhe i like gabrelie sids frend from schol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehehehehehehehehehehee funy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!