All member reviews for Smallville

Superman's origin story gets sexier, more violent over time.

Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008
Adult Written byChris LP April 9, 2008

Good show for the whole family

SMALLVILLE is Superman for teenagers. I've been watching this show with my son on DVD since 2006. We bought Seasons 1-4 on DVD and watched them all. Then Season 5 was released on DVD and watched that as well just in time for Season 6 to start up on The CW. Now in it's seventh season, we're still there ever Thursday night at 7pm to catch what Clark Kent is up to that night. It's a really cool show. Me nor my son are Superman fans, but this show really makes you like him. It's Superman without the cape and tights, which makes him more human than a show-off crime-fighting non-relatable character from the pages of a DC comic book. This show gets to the emotional roots of Clark making him relatable. It's more realistic and believable. Violence in this show can be quiet extreme as well as sex in the show. The perfect example is from the Season 5 episode "Thirst" where a man recieves oral sex from a woman in a hot tub, except the next second he scream horrifically as the woman bites off his penis. That is the worst violence the show has ever contained. Nothing has ever come even close to that moment in the series run. Throughout the series run there has only been a few sexual scenes, but not many. Out of their 100-and something episode count only about 10% of the episodes have contained a sexual encounter, all of which are pushing the limits of PG-13, but like I said this is Superman for teens. That's about it. Violence = PG-13 level Sex = R level (rarely an issue) Language = PG-13 level Drugs = PG level Message = The message of the show is one that is suitable for all ages, that being always do what is right no matter what the consiquences. Clark Kent's message to all of us.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmilyWelling October 20, 2010

perfect for kids 11 and above

Smallville-parent and SmallvilleGrl read my mind... I don't think Season 8 and 5 are good either! Not much to say now that two people already explained it... anyways, love the show! Good role models and good, positive messages. Only other violence is that evil kryptonite rock that is always somehow pretty much.. everywhere!
Adult Written byB. A. April 25, 2010

not good for kids at all. Older kids are influenced too.

not for kids anymore. Sorry, but Clark and Lois going off to have sex before they even got into "the L word" , and Chloe and the green arrow doing it only because it is their "favorite indoor past time." was the last straw for me. This is not for kids!
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

This Season Sank

While the storylines are (for the most part) still very well written and have lots of hidden info for true Superman fans, this season has gone overboard with the sexual content. Way too many undressed girls! What could be a great "the good guys always win", uplifting show has started turning into something my husband and I have to look away from every few minutes. Early seasons are great, (there is little or no language, and most violence is inflicted on the bad guys) and hopefully they can get this one back on track. Until then no one under high school age should see this, and even then, use caution.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrobinrunner January 16, 2012

Amazing Acting, great plots, and Heroic episodes!

Smallville is a fantastic drama story of a teen-aged hero going through a series of events to eventually become the man of steel himself: Superman. As the series moves on, the show get's more violent and bloody, and different sex scenes are thrown about seasons 1 through 10. But the show has good intensions and a numberous amount of lessons and morals are clearly shown. Clark Kent and Chloe Sullevin are the perfect role models for teens, and other charecters like Lois Lane, Oliver Queen, and Lex Luthor (in the begining of the series) also express and represent friendship, a major elimate in the show. Different teen-age heroes and villains from dc comics also make appearances like The Flash, Aquaman, Doomsday, Supergirl and more that comic fans are sure to love. It's the perfect show to watch!
Teen, 15 years old Written byGabe4243 December 31, 2011

My favorite show but has a dark side

Fantastic show. Quite bloody and violent at times, and there are moments of sexuality, but overall, it has messages for the family and a main character most teens can relate too: throughout the ten years of the show, Clark struggles with the responsibilities of his future, struggling with his want to fulfill some greater purpose, something that any teen can relate to. Its also a very interesting show, adapting the superman mythos in a more interesting way than I have seen before. Lots of action that can get intense, but Clark is always there to save the day. Wrapping up the series is a season 10 finale worth the wait. Ok for 14 year olds, iffy for 13, VERY iffy for 12. It depends on how mature the audience is but I RECOMMEND.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZebra_Girl July 31, 2010

Great

This is my favorite T.V. show, and it is for many reasons. While it balances flirtatious or sensual things, with real life, with saving the world, with a job, with suspense, with some comedy. I started watching this at about 10, and I loved it. Some episodes I feel have no point to them, and 1 episode left me unable to sleep. This show is basically about Clark Kent growing up and maturing into Superman. The basic plot is he is a small town farm boy, who ends up saving the world in more ways than 1. I enjoy this show a lot, and I think you will too.
Adult Written bytvgirl June 30, 2009

This "Superman" Series is in Fact Legendary.

This show was fantastic in Season One, but now going into Season Nine it has declined in quality. But, even now, it is probably the best Superman show ever made. It has frequent sci-fi violence, sexual content is prominant in Seasons Two through Five and fairly strong, language was a problem in Seasons One through Five, and alcohol use was a problem in Seasons One through Seven. Seasons Eight and (soon-to-be Nine) are the cleanest and most family-friendly due to Clark having his squeaky-clean Superman persona. This show is good for kids to watch because of how Clark Kent always does the right thing in all situations. Bottom line: This show is usually rated TV-PG DV. Ages 12+. 4/5 stars. Enjoy.
Adult Written byPanya April 9, 2008

For older teens

While I love this show myself, I wouldn't let anyone under 15 or 16 watch it. There's FAR too much violence and sexuality for children.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth July 25, 2014

Superman's origins lye within smallville

Smallville tells the story of superman before he became the man of steel. The show has some action and drama. Season 5 is where the series gets a little dark for little kids.
Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2013

Awesome Show!

Kid, 8 years old October 8, 2012

LOVE IT!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it love it love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCocoChoco November 13, 2011

very un-amazing !

this show was awful. filler episodes, recycled ideas and tons of corny crap. dont even bother watching this
Teen, 17 years old Written byLa Rosa July 11, 2011

The Sexual Contents is an issue !

I can't really judge its quality cause I didn't see a one full episode, but I gotta say that from what I saw on Youtube it's totally not appropriate for kids or pre-teens. There are lots of sexual unappropriated off-limits scenes between both Clark and Lana. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone less than 17 although, as it's basically based on Superman's Story, it has pretty good storylines with great educational morals. But still, the sexual contents based on what I watched on Youtube is a BIG ISSUE. Parents and Adults should be careful.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJesusLuvsYew May 14, 2011

Awesome!

I love this show! Not for kids but, whatever. This show's action is epic!
Adult Written byfoggy February 10, 2011
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylanamomkd October 20, 2010

perfect 11

Great role models, great messages; the only thing is the amount of bad things in Season 5..... just too much! The drinking is not a problem; it doesn't change anyone's mind about drinking or smoking... normal, fine hero violence. (hitting, shooting and missing, throwing, weakening, etc.) The shooting isn't a huge problem; Clark is always getting their in time to stop the bullet! Not a huge fan of Season 5, 8, or 9. 9, only because he can't fly, and I think Lana Lang should come back. Anyways, great for kids 11 and above.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybkute65 November 7, 2009

Ok for tweens with parents

I think the violence is more comic book action, so it's ok. I don't think the sex is too explicit, and you can discuss it with your tween.
Adult Written byCuriousGerbil October 28, 2009

The best Superman story ever (besides the comics of course)!

This is a fantastic show. Now in it's ninth season it is better than it's ever been. This season is a bit darker. There is a fair amount of violence and some blood but not graphic violence by any means.