All member reviews for Smallville

Superman's origin story gets sexier, more violent over time.

Adult Written byChris LP April 9, 2008

Good show for the whole family

SMALLVILLE is Superman for teenagers. I've been watching this show with my son on DVD since 2006. We bought Seasons 1-4 on DVD and watched them all. Then Season 5 was released on DVD and watched that as well just in time for Season 6 to start up on The CW. Now in it's seventh season, we're still there ever Thursday night at 7pm to catch what Clark Kent is up to that night. It's a really cool show. Me nor my son are Superman fans, but this show really makes you like him. It's Superman without the cape and tights, which makes him more human than a show-off crime-fighting non-relatable character from the pages of a DC comic book. This show gets to the emotional roots of Clark making him relatable. It's more realistic and believable. Violence in this show can be quiet extreme as well as sex in the show. The perfect example is from the Season 5 episode "Thirst" where a man recieves oral sex from a woman in a hot tub, except the next second he scream horrifically as the woman bites off his penis. That is the worst violence the show has ever contained. Nothing has ever come even close to that moment in the series run. Throughout the series run there has only been a few sexual scenes, but not many. Out of their 100-and something episode count only about 10% of the episodes have contained a sexual encounter, all of which are pushing the limits of PG-13, but like I said this is Superman for teens. That's about it. Violence = PG-13 level Sex = R level (rarely an issue) Language = PG-13 level Drugs = PG level Message = The message of the show is one that is suitable for all ages, that being always do what is right no matter what the consiquences. Clark Kent's message to all of us.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmilyWelling October 20, 2010

perfect for kids 11 and above

Smallville-parent and SmallvilleGrl read my mind... I don't think Season 8 and 5 are good either! Not much to say now that two people already explained it... anyways, love the show! Good role models and good, positive messages. Only other violence is that evil kryptonite rock that is always somehow pretty much.. everywhere!
Adult Written byB. A. April 25, 2010

not good for kids at all. Older kids are influenced too.

not for kids anymore. Sorry, but Clark and Lois going off to have sex before they even got into "the L word" , and Chloe and the green arrow doing it only because it is their "favorite indoor past time." was the last straw for me. This is not for kids!
Adult Written byCrazy Chel April 9, 2008

This Season Sank

While the storylines are (for the most part) still very well written and have lots of hidden info for true Superman fans, this season has gone overboard with the sexual content. Way too many undressed girls! What could be a great "the good guys always win", uplifting show has started turning into something my husband and I have to look away from every few minutes. Early seasons are great, (there is little or no language, and most violence is inflicted on the bad guys) and hopefully they can get this one back on track. Until then no one under high school age should see this, and even then, use caution.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrobinrunner January 16, 2012

Amazing Acting, great plots, and Heroic episodes!

Smallville is a fantastic drama story of a teen-aged hero going through a series of events to eventually become the man of steel himself: Superman. As the series moves on, the show get's more violent and bloody, and different sex scenes are thrown about seasons 1 through 10. But the show has good intensions and a numberous amount of lessons and morals are clearly shown. Clark Kent and Chloe Sullevin are the perfect role models for teens, and other charecters like Lois Lane, Oliver Queen, and Lex Luthor (in the begining of the series) also express and represent friendship, a major elimate in the show. Different teen-age heroes and villains from dc comics also make appearances like The Flash, Aquaman, Doomsday, Supergirl and more that comic fans are sure to love. It's the perfect show to watch!
Teen, 13 years old Written byZebra_Girl July 31, 2010

Great

This is my favorite T.V. show, and it is for many reasons. While it balances flirtatious or sensual things, with real life, with saving the world, with a job, with suspense, with some comedy. I started watching this at about 10, and I loved it. Some episodes I feel have no point to them, and 1 episode left me unable to sleep. This show is basically about Clark Kent growing up and maturing into Superman. The basic plot is he is a small town farm boy, who ends up saving the world in more ways than 1. I enjoy this show a lot, and I think you will too.
Adult Written bytvgirl June 30, 2009

This "Superman" Series is in Fact Legendary.

This show was fantastic in Season One, but now going into Season Nine it has declined in quality. But, even now, it is probably the best Superman show ever made. It has frequent sci-fi violence, sexual content is prominant in Seasons Two through Five and fairly strong, language was a problem in Seasons One through Five, and alcohol use was a problem in Seasons One through Seven. Seasons Eight and (soon-to-be Nine) are the cleanest and most family-friendly due to Clark having his squeaky-clean Superman persona. This show is good for kids to watch because of how Clark Kent always does the right thing in all situations. Bottom line: This show is usually rated TV-PG DV. Ages 12+. 4/5 stars. Enjoy.
Adult Written byPanya April 9, 2008

For older teens

While I love this show myself, I wouldn't let anyone under 15 or 16 watch it. There's FAR too much violence and sexuality for children.
Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2013

Awesome Show!

Kid, 8 years old October 8, 2012

LOVE IT!!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it love it love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byLa Rosa July 11, 2011

The Sexual Contents is an issue !

I can't really judge its quality cause I didn't see a one full episode, but I gotta say that from what I saw on Youtube it's totally not appropriate for kids or pre-teens. There are lots of sexual unappropriated off-limits scenes between both Clark and Lana. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone less than 17 although, as it's basically based on Superman's Story, it has pretty good storylines with great educational morals. But still, the sexual contents based on what I watched on Youtube is a BIG ISSUE. Parents and Adults should be careful.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJesusLuvsYew May 14, 2011

Awesome!

I love this show! Not for kids but, whatever. This show's action is epic!
Adult Written byfoggy February 10, 2011
Adult Written byCuriousGerbil October 28, 2009

The best Superman story ever (besides the comics of course)!

This is a fantastic show. Now in it's ninth season it is better than it's ever been. This season is a bit darker. There is a fair amount of violence and some blood but not graphic violence by any means.
Adult Written byWestieMeg April 9, 2008
Adult Written byDocter14 April 9, 2008

Greayt show for superman fans!!!

The early shows of smallville had some gory stuff and violence. Later episodes are much better than the older ones. I think its the Greatest show ever made. Great for Superman fans.
Adult Written by5t3v3n April 9, 2008

i so love this show!

i think this is one of the best tv shows ever,i cant get enough of smallville,but i do wish they would show 2hours instead of 1hour.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBuffy Rules February 2, 2016

Review #11 - This is a violent show that is plenty entertaining.

STUDIO: Warner Bros. Television | RATING: TV-14 (some episodes) You know, I've watched the entirety of this show and I must say, we all know Superman lives. But it is entertaining and lets you know about the life of a young Clark Kent, basically from teenagehood to young-adulthood; the characters that are in this show include Clark Kent (Tom Welling), Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum), Lana Lang (Kristen Kreuk), Chloe Sullivan (the great Allison Mack), and in later seasons Lois Lane (Erica Durance, introduced Season 4) and Tess Mercer (Cassidy Freeman, introduced Season 8), along with Clark's parents throughout, Martha Kent (Annette O'Toole) and Jonathan Kent (John Schneider), also there's Lionel Luthor (John Glover). I've given you all the synopsis you need. Now for the parents' guide: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PARENTAL GUIDANCE SECTION: The violence in this gets stronger each season. ("Pilot", S01 E01) A man is electrocuted by a teenage boy and a picture frame shatters. ("Metamorphosis", S01 E02) A man is shown to shed his skin as he is bug-like. ("Visage", S02 E11) A man is beaten by another young man with a baseball bat and a bit of blood splatters upward onto the man with the bat. In the same episode, a young woman is skewered through with a steel-pipe, and we see blood covering one side of it. "Rush" (S02 E14) contains drug references, as in a man appears to have overdosed and red Kryptonite is introduced, it's like methamphetamine. Season 3 contains a teenage girl reaching through a man's chest and crushing his skin. Season 4 contains a woman covered in blood dead lying on a bed, also contains a man leaving bloody fingerprints playing a piano, and a woman's body frozen, her head picked up and dropped graphically. Season 5 contains a man presumably receiving oral sex but the water fills with blood as the women presumably rip his penis off; another scene involves a man causing another man to vomit blood after getting shot. Season 6 contains a woman being stabbed in the hand with a knife, a man's spine ripped out from a distance, a man being stabbed and splattering blood onto the camera. Season 7 contains one man being skewered through with a telephone pole and he somewhat graphically pulls it out. Season 8 contains many arrows going into a man and causing bloody trickles all over his body and a monster slashing a man's chest with a large amount of blood spraying. Season 9 contains a man covered in blood after being hit by a truck, and the zombie episode contains blood splattering from the zombies. Season 10 contains a man shot in the ankle. There's not too much sexual content, but there's kissing and sometimes sex scenes with bare backs and legs; one Season 10 episode has a strip club brochure that has a strong sexual reference. Language isn't too common, but there's "d*mn", "h*ll", "b*st*rd", "(son of a) b*tch" and rarely "p*ss". Socially, characters drink and there's occasions where Lex is drunk, and there's a man dressed up as Santa who drinks in one episode. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The boy who grows up to be Superman gets an interesting story here. It's interesting to see his evolution overtime and certainly entertaining, save for some filler episodes ("Cyborg" in Season 5 was just boring, but comes in handy for a Season 6 team-up episode). Although predictable at times, my favourite would be Allison Mack. Superman fans will inevitably know the twists and turns, but I won't spoil them here. Clark is persistently a great role model and stays true to his values. Watch, like and thankyou for reading.
Teen, 17 years old Written byarkak April 4, 2015