Spunky, well-rounded princess celebrates individuality.

Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written bymom2fourgr8kids May 17, 2013

Perfect messages for your princess!

I am shocked to see some of the reviews. I think parents are reading way too much into it. The show is about a village girl that becomes a princess because her mom marries a king. Part of the show is about her learning to be a princess and all of the things a princess might worry about. Disney manages to mix the princess learning with strong messages about how to care about others and how to treat others. It is really genius the way they do it! Not only is Sofia learning how to be a princess, she is also pushing the limits and showing everyone to ignore stereotypes. She joins the Flying Derby Team, that was boys only. She still cares about her friends from the village, even though they don't fit in with the other princesses. She is continuously teaching her snotty stepsister that life is about more than image, dresses, and being the best. Yes, it shows the "mean girl" attitudes that every little girl will come up against in school, but it shows that Sofia doesn't give in to that attitude and keeps her sweetness in the face of such rudeness. Many of these shows have started a conversation between my daughter and I. We talk about how you can't look at someone and decide if they are a good person, that there is more to life than pretty dresses and hair, and that we have to be kind to everyone. She knows that Amber isn't as nice as Sofia, and she knows that she doesn't want to be like Amber. I personally love the message Sofia the First sends to my daughter. We have them recorded on our DVR and she watches multiple episodes every day. Now we have to wait for the next new episode...
Kid, 10 years old July 5, 2013

sofia the first is awesome

My just-turned 3 year old sister loves this show! So do I! And I'm 10 and i hate little kid's shows so it shows that sofia is good. anyway this is about a girl who i think is meant to be about 7-9 years old. she used to be poor and live in a normal house but then her mum married a king (how, i really dont know.) and that is where it starts. sofia has just turned into a princess she has new sibling the twins prince james and princess amber and a new dad the king roland. i like the episode where its the sleepover and jade makes a fan and its mr happy fan that's funny i like the episode the little witch because the witch is cool (lol watch it and you will know what i mean her hair is awesome). it tells kids good things through singing (for example the little witch - sofia sings about playing tricks on people will make them not want to be your friend, or the sleepover - let people be themselves dont worry what other people (amber) think and much more in each episode) and also sofia is a very good role model for toddlers. i like it that there is finally a princess programme which is both funny, old but modern as well and the princess isn't an adult! anyway, 5 star amazing show disney!
Kid, 10 years old February 4, 2013

Slow down, you guys! You have to remember Sedric.Sometimes he might scare 3 year-olds. I mean it's a superb show and very well written, but you have to consider all the options. By the way, love the show. Way better than anything they show on Disney Junior. And i'm 10.
Parent Written byjfraize December 11, 2015

Contradictory

The show attempts to address issues of sexism but the style of the animation and the rendering of the characters—horrible for body image! All the female characters have 2 inch waists, but the boys have slightly more normal proportions. Not thrilled to have my 3-year old boy think this is what girls should look like.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 14 year old Written byIamASafeOne April 6, 2013

LOVE

Nobody really watches this, but I STRUGGLE to let my 8 year old watch this, I hope you know, at the end of the "sexist and rude episodes" there is good life lessons and happy endings. It's not witchcraft, it's a magical cartoon based on the Disney Princesses, there's not innuedo, inappropriate things, and one of the teens says it was, No it isn't! There is consumerism (flora, merryweather, fauna, Cinderella) It's cute and has good image. Sofia always looks at the bright side, My 8 year old DOES come a little while, but since she says she's too old for Disney Junior, DJ is for 2-8, so I think this is fine for her, and the voicing fits. Watchable 7 and under.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylissystar98 February 18, 2015

Perfect for your kid

As a Junior in High School who is almost out of the house, I know it may seem silly of me to say I love Sofia the First, but this is a genuinely great show! The characters are very likable and easy to relate to and enjoy. Sofia is a caring and respectful girl who gives a very good impression on kids who are watching. Amber, although snotty at times, does learn her lesson in the end. My personal favorite, Cedric the Sorcerer, although the main antagonist of the show isn't always mean and is seen to have a soft side at times! I love the relationship between Cedric and Sofia because they play off each other very well and its too funny!! Aside from the great characters, the songs and animation are top notch for a kids show. As an aspiring animator myself, I absolutely adore the animation that they put in this show. Its flowy, detailed, and just beautiful to look at. Not many kids shows put that much care into their animation. The songs are also very catchy and wonderful to listen to. Parents, its not tedious to sit through like all the other crappy kids shows...trust me I know, I have little siblings. It looks like Disney puts a ton of thought into each episode which is good to know. All you should know about Sofia the First is that it has a great story line, lovable characters, gorgeous animation, catchy songs, and that it got an almost 17 year old to watch it, so I recommend highly! I will definitely show it to my kids one day! :)
Parent Written bybunnymama June 9, 2016

Disney missed a great opportunity here...

I'm going to cut right to it. This show missed a great opportunity to share positive messages with impressionable princess crazed kids. Instead of focusing on the darling Sofia's kind instincts the show mostly entertains by showing the wrong, snooty, unkind way to do things with a very weak "teaching" moment at the end. For the parents writing reviews telling the more critical reviewers to "chill out, it's just a show" they may want to look a little closer. The show is indeed about getting an education evidenced by the catchy theme song at the beginning "...I was a girl in the village doing alright when I became a princess overnight/Trying to figure out how to do it right/ so much to learn and see...." The show is about a little girl getting a royal education. Most of the toddlers and children watching this show are at an age where learning through play is most effective so they are learning more than you think about how the world works though this show. Most episodes revolve around Sophia struggling to be her kind spirited self around her snooty and aloof royal siblings and friends. I could rip the show into shreds but in the end it's not worth it to me for my 3 year old to "hang out" with Sophia's snooty friends for 30 minutes with a weak positive lesson surfacing briefly at the end. I remember my parent's telling me to "Choose my friends wisely". I think the same should apply to the shows we present to our children as well. As a side note...I really have a beef with the writers of this show. I'm sure they really got a laugh creating these very stereotypical characters in a humorous way. But it's not an adult show. It's a show for little kids. I think they could have spared a lot of the adult humor and innuendo.
Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2014
Hmm... Sofia the First is quite good, I think as soon as a 10 year-old kid, sees the name of the programme and the age rating put up here, on common sense media, they would think, "This show is for babies so I am not gonna bother," but I think these stories are interesting. Though it is like a world were everything is nice to you, except mild recurring villans like Cedric.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGamerGirlxox January 18, 2013

Rhis show teaches a lesson and it is a GOOD one

When it first came out my mom was so estatic about this show and made it very important to watch .during the show my mom pointed out that it's more important to be kind to your siblings and that family is forever and friends come and go.when i first saw it it made me more interested in disney princesses and wanted to watch ALL the princess movies and buy all the dolls but the true meaning of the show is to be find to family and the others around you
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissconcerned February 12, 2016

How did this get four stars

How did this cruddy show get four stars and My Life as a Teenage Robot get two?! It ruins some of my favorite princesses. Also Sofia sucks and so does the wizard dude. I think I saw bits and pieces of an episode once and hated it, though at least it's better than stupid Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
Educator Written byalexiak August 1, 2015

Living Proof That ANYONE Can Get Into It

I stumbled upon this site when I Googled, "Do any other teens watch 'Sofia the First?'" Thankfully, I'm not alone. I won't go touting this show to my friends any time soon , but I thought I would leave a positive review here. I first saw "Sofia the First" after class one day, looking for a channel to take a nap to (I'm going to be a sophomore in college this year). I was sort of interested, as a young woman who grew up watching Disney princess movies and playing pretend, I know I would have loved watching "Sofia the First" when I was younger--there are cameo appearances of Disney princesses. As an adult, I do have the freedom to "binge-watch" the series on Netflix and other sites, and I can say that it is a sweet show with a positive message. I wouldn't hesitate to let my children watch it (well, someday in the wayyyyy off future). Anyway, just here to leave a positive review from an older viewer, this show is amazing! The characters are very genuine, and there is always a theme and moral for each episode. They definitely make it easy to talk to your children and open up conversations about bullying, friendship, and kindness. Last thing--I don't know why it's rated to have a bit of sexiness. Unless maybe the cameo appearances of Ariel and Jasmine (their stomachs show, obviously) are offending some parents. Get over it, I've seen people my age wearing much worse in public. Too much consumerism? I don't get it. Maybe it's the lavish, palace lifestyle that people are talking about--but it doesn't really matter when characters like Sofia are so genuine and down-to-Earth. 10/10
Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2013

Sofia The First: Once Upon a Good Show

This is a good show and even better than the other Disney Junior shows. It is perfect for 2 and up, plus older audiences may like this too. It is different from the other DJ shows, for the same audiences, but excludes learning stuff you'd learn in very early school and grades, and doesn't talk to the viewer, two things that may make older audiences enjoy this too. Teaches good lessons. Watch this show, it's fairly good.
Adult Written bybenem October 29, 2014

a male teen review

One word i would like to say in this show is "refreshing". Every episode has humor, lessons and a Song! This show is a great escape from today's current state (twisted humor, negative influences and corrupting songs that present kids find appealling) sad it's less than 30 min only :(. You can learn something from every Characters in this show all u need is common sense and proper understanding for it to see ( i dont need to enumerate per char). Srsly i don't see anything wrong with consumerism in this show, all i see is disney's ways to preserve the goodness and values from their previous masterpieces. Lastly this might be a kids show.. But i highly recommend this to every people in the world. Today's society srsly needs to know what values and moral is. I only hope they can improve the graphics like Frozen's and i wish they would not get tired creating new and interesting episodes :). More power for this show!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygleekswift May 30, 2015

Perfect for any Princess

If your child likes princesses, this is the show for her! There are good messages and at the end of each episode there is always a moral.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byHalley K. October 29, 2016

My daughter loves to watch Sofia The First and i couldnt be happier. The show teaches strong morals and teaches great lessons that are very easily to grasp for even young toddlers. There is realism, compassion, forgivness, learning, and friendship all tied into the making of Sofia. As i mentioned earlier i love how this show involves not only Sofias friends but her mom and dad as well, its important for childrens shows to show their parents atleast every once in awhile. Sofia as a character is one for children to look up to and admire, she is pure and sweet. Her heart is always in the right place when it comes to situations where people need help, or if a villain was in the episode she talks to them about how they could be better and the villain sees what theyve done wrong and ultimately apologizes and everything is better. In the end a great life lesson is learned but isnt overly complicated so little ones can grasp the concept. 5 out of 5 stars for me!

Adult Written bySpecialAdult2291 March 30, 2016

Not a Good Show for Kids -- Especially Young Ones!

The first time I watched this show, it was the episode that I now know to be called "Cedric's Apprentice," and I certainly didn't think it should have been classified as a show for kids under 5 years old! Not only is Cedric the most unusual and sissified little cartoon dude, one that no father would ever want his son to grow-up to be, he is also a Sorcerer on top of this!!! Witchcraft and Sorcery are not allowed in many Christian homes, and boys are taught to avoid wearing the 3 P's (pink, peach, and purple), as well as anything that even remotely resembles a dress! Well, Mr. Cedric is seen wearing a long, purple robe in every episode, and under it is what appears to be a fuchsia vest with tight pants and a pair of high heels for men! He is also never seen with a wife or a girlfriend, despite being plenty old enough to have one, which would be totally fine were it not for the fact that he hangs around with children so often. It's like, what is this grown man 30+ years old doing with Sofia and all these other 8-year-old kids? So while it might be a great show to watch if you're a teen or an adult, I do NOT see it as a good preschool program, and especially if Cedric makes an appearance. But the problem is that Cedric is far from the only character performing witchcraft and sorcery, and that Sofia has learned quite a few "magic" tricks, from him and others like him, to make her a little Sorceress herself, and therefore not acceptable in many devout Christian homes. They also refer to Christmas as Wassailia and say "Happy Holidays," which is denying Christ and therefore not Christian.
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2016

Very good messages!

This show gives great advice and positive messages. It has lots of knowledge and teaches to do things from the heart. Sofia was a village girl but became a princess overnight. She didn't know anything about being a princess. She was given big, fancy dresses, a huge room, and got to attend a royal prep school. But she learned that being a princess isn't all that fancy stuff, but doing things from the heart. No foul language is being used or sexual references exposed, although there might be some type of connection between Sofia and Hugo. But nothing big. Anyways, the show is perfectly good for your child to watch. Nothing to worry about.
Teen, 14 years old Written by101justcurious January 3, 2016

Inspiring

I just recently discovered this show, and I think this show is pretty good. I love the messages. And I happen to love Sofia's character. Being a former commoner, not only she inspires the people watching the show, but the people around her as well. She is character with lots of strengths, that often makes her seem so perfect. But in a lot of episodes, she can make a mistake. She has gotten cursed before for doing wrong things. Like disobeying her mom, or bragging. And even if it doesn't happen as much as she's helping other people. It shows that they really work to make Sofia's character a role model, but also human. She can make a mistake, and in the end of the day, she tries to fix them. And that what makes a good role model. There's even an episode where Sofia wants to join a boy sport, and vise versa with another where a Prince Hugo likes doing a girl sport. I personally like that one better, because for some reason if a guy does a girl sport, there's something wrong with them. And society is WAY harsher on a boy than a girl. It's a nice messages over all. Never have I felt that there was a bad message for kids. The only complaints I have with the show is too many songs, like every episode too many, and it feels like they are always talking down to the audience. But this show is targeted to 3 year olds, so you can't complain too much.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byCody Patterson MJO October 11, 2015

A great show for toddlers

My sons love this show, there is really nothing wrong with it. It's an educational and imaginative show for two to four year olds. I can't imagine why anyone would bar their kids from watching something so innocent.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byKymberlin October 7, 2015

Really great and Captures Kids attention

My son(2) loves this show, hes watched it since he was 15 months old, It shows positive messages that he will soon need to learn and understand and it is nicely colored and sound is nice keeping the kids attention!