All member reviews for Sofia the First

Spunky, well-rounded princess celebrates individuality.

Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written bymom2fourgr8kids May 17, 2013

Perfect messages for your princess!

I am shocked to see some of the reviews. I think parents are reading way too much into it. The show is about a village girl that becomes a princess because her mom marries a king. Part of the show is about her learning to be a princess and all of the things a princess might worry about. Disney manages to mix the princess learning with strong messages about how to care about others and how to treat others. It is really genius the way they do it! Not only is Sofia learning how to be a princess, she is also pushing the limits and showing everyone to ignore stereotypes. She joins the Flying Derby Team, that was boys only. She still cares about her friends from the village, even though they don't fit in with the other princesses. She is continuously teaching her snotty stepsister that life is about more than image, dresses, and being the best. Yes, it shows the "mean girl" attitudes that every little girl will come up against in school, but it shows that Sofia doesn't give in to that attitude and keeps her sweetness in the face of such rudeness. Many of these shows have started a conversation between my daughter and I. We talk about how you can't look at someone and decide if they are a good person, that there is more to life than pretty dresses and hair, and that we have to be kind to everyone. She knows that Amber isn't as nice as Sofia, and she knows that she doesn't want to be like Amber. I personally love the message Sofia the First sends to my daughter. We have them recorded on our DVR and she watches multiple episodes every day. Now we have to wait for the next new episode...
Parent Written byazul222 February 24, 2013

Inappropriate for the targeted age-- or any age, really

I began seeing previews for Sofia The First during recorded episodes of Doc McStuffins and realized that it was going to be sandwiched between Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Doc McStuffins on Saturday mornings-- the time when my daughter has pretty unfettered access to Dinsey Junior because her grandparents are babysitting. We decided to sit down and preview it one evening (yes, with glasses of wine) and decided that it was definitely not appropriate for our 2 1/2 year old. The messages, for one, are typically Disney- girls are interested in the way they look, in whether or not others like them, in being princesses, having parties and getting dressed up. From what I have seen the girls are subtly rude/mean to or subtly disapproving of one another (insidious "mean girl" culture at its finest) and, while there is an overarching message of friendship and acceptance preached by parents, young children see the actions and words of the characters as paramount- they often do not have the sophisticated interpretation skills necessary to understand that these are examples of what NOT to do, or the attention span to follow the storyline to its conclusion. In the Royal Sleepover, for example, young children are much more likely to hear, emulate and find funny the horror of the older sister and her friends when they say, "You invited VILLAGE GIRLS????" (this was also the scene play and replayed on countless commercials for the new series) than they are to understand that the overarching message of the show is that you should be who you are and that being a village girl is ok-- especially after your best friend's older sisters give you a royal makeover.
Parent Written byyo_yo_ma November 23, 2014

Sofia The First: witchcraft and sorcery indoctrination oh my

Every minute of the episodes we watched, along with our daughter, were full of witchcraft and sorcery, magic wands, and undesirable elements which will teach your kids to behave badly, rely on magic and witchcraft in the future. Under protests from our daughter to not turn it off, we used this as a teaching moment to explain that none of this witchcraft is meant for good and to teach her how to spot this wickedness in the future. There's quite a lot of "wish" and amulet "idol" items in the show which the characters go to to get what they want as well. Often times witchcraft is employed and characters are then shown "smiling" saying it is the best ever. In my opinion, this show must be inspired by demons or evil people in general out to take over our child's minds. I would recommend you stay very clear of this show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNASCAR101 April 14, 2013

big no no

no NO
Kid, 10 years old July 5, 2013

sofia the first is awesome

My just-turned 3 year old sister loves this show! So do I! And I'm 10 and i hate little kid's shows so it shows that sofia is good. anyway this is about a girl who i think is meant to be about 7-9 years old. she used to be poor and live in a normal house but then her mum married a king (how, i really dont know.) and that is where it starts. sofia has just turned into a princess she has new sibling the twins prince james and princess amber and a new dad the king roland. i like the episode where its the sleepover and jade makes a fan and its mr happy fan that's funny i like the episode the little witch because the witch is cool (lol watch it and you will know what i mean her hair is awesome). it tells kids good things through singing (for example the little witch - sofia sings about playing tricks on people will make them not want to be your friend, or the sleepover - let people be themselves dont worry what other people (amber) think and much more in each episode) and also sofia is a very good role model for toddlers. i like it that there is finally a princess programme which is both funny, old but modern as well and the princess isn't an adult! anyway, 5 star amazing show disney!
Kid, 10 years old February 4, 2013

Slow down, you guys! You have to remember Sedric.Sometimes he might scare 3 year-olds. I mean it's a superb show and very well written, but you have to consider all the options. By the way, love the show. Way better than anything they show on Disney Junior. And i'm 10.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 14 year old Written byIamASafeOne April 6, 2013

LOVE

Nobody really watches this, but I STRUGGLE to let my 8 year old watch this, I hope you know, at the end of the "sexist and rude episodes" there is good life lessons and happy endings. It's not witchcraft, it's a magical cartoon based on the Disney Princesses, there's not innuedo, inappropriate things, and one of the teens says it was, No it isn't! There is consumerism (flora, merryweather, fauna, Cinderella) It's cute and has good image. Sofia always looks at the bright side, My 8 year old DOES come a little while, but since she says she's too old for Disney Junior, DJ is for 2-8, so I think this is fine for her, and the voicing fits. Watchable 7 and under.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGamerGirlxox January 18, 2013

Rhis show teaches a lesson and it is a GOOD one

When it first came out my mom was so estatic about this show and made it very important to watch .during the show my mom pointed out that it's more important to be kind to your siblings and that family is forever and friends come and go.when i first saw it it made me more interested in disney princesses and wanted to watch ALL the princess movies and buy all the dolls but the true meaning of the show is to be find to family and the others around you
Kid, 10 years old January 18, 2014

Sofia the First can be watched by 10 year-olds

Hmm... Sofia the First is quite good, I think as soon as a 10 year-old kid, like me, sees the name of the programme and the age rating put up here, on common sense media, they would think, "This show is for babies so I am not gonna bother but, I have watched all of the episodes and even though I am 10, I think these stories are interesting.
Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2013

Sofia The First: Once Upon a Good Show

This is a good show and even better than the other Disney Junior shows. It is perfect for 2 and up, plus older audiences may like this too. It is different from the other DJ shows, for the same audiences, but excludes learning stuff you'd learn in very early school and grades, and doesn't talk to the viewer, two things that may make older audiences enjoy this too. Teaches good lessons. Watch this show, it's fairly good.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylissystar98 February 18, 2015

Perfect for your kid

As a Junior in High School who is almost out of the house, I know it may seem silly of me to say I love Sofia the First, but this is a genuinely great show! The characters are very likable and easy to relate to and enjoy. Sofia is a caring and respectful girl who gives a very good impression on kids who are watching. Amber, although snotty at times, does learn her lesson in the end. My personal favorite, Cedric the Sorcerer, although the main antagonist of the show isn't always mean and is seen to have a soft side at times! I love the relationship between Cedric and Sofia because they play off each other very well and its too funny!! Aside from the great characters, the songs and animation are top notch for a kids show. As an aspiring animator myself, I absolutely adore the animation that they put in this show. Its flowy, detailed, and just beautiful to look at. Not many kids shows put that much care into their animation. The songs are also very catchy and wonderful to listen to. Parents, its not tedious to sit through like all the other crappy kids shows...trust me I know, I have little siblings. It looks like Disney puts a ton of thought into each episode which is good to know. All you should know about Sofia the First is that it has a great story line, lovable characters, gorgeous animation, catchy songs, and that it got an almost 17 year old to watch it, so I recommend highly! I will definitely show it to my kids one day! :)
Parent of a 6, 10, and 14 year old Written byKako January 26, 2015

Junk

As if the Dizney Channel could get any worse, this rubbish proves that Dizney is of the absolute worst quality. Not to mention that this imbecilic programme airs on "Dizney Junior," Dizney's COMPLETE COPY of Nick Jr. Why does the horrid network even try to outdo the number-one kids' network Nickelodeon?
Adult Written bybenem October 29, 2014

a male teen review

One word i would like to say in this show is "refreshing". Every episode has humor, lessons and a Song! This show is a great escape from today's current state (twisted humor, negative influences and corrupting songs that present kids find appealling) sad it's less than 30 min only :(. You can learn something from every Characters in this show all u need is common sense and proper understanding for it to see ( i dont need to enumerate per char). Srsly i don't see anything wrong with consumerism in this show, all i see is disney's ways to preserve the goodness and values from their previous masterpieces. Lastly this might be a kids show.. But i highly recommend this to every people in the world. Today's society srsly needs to know what values and moral is. I only hope they can improve the graphics like Frozen's and i wish they would not get tired creating new and interesting episodes :). More power for this show!
Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2015

A cute show for little kids

Sofia the First is a pretty good show with good messages and characters. Sofia can get pretty annoying though, especially with that high pitched voice...
Teen, 13 years old Written bygleekswift May 30, 2015

Perfect for any Princess

If your child likes princesses, this is the show for her! There are good messages and at the end of each episode there is always a moral.
Teen, 15 years old Written byallygirl203 May 24, 2015

The Best Kids' Show of This Era

I am a teen, and I have a younger sister ( age 9 ) who absolutely loves this show. Every time my parents leave me to babysit/watch my sister, we watch this show. It might seem like a little baby show, but no, it's nothing like that. I have seen some people review this harshly because "everyone is trying to fit in" and silly things like that, but I will explain why in the world all of that stuff is totally fine. Most practical people should get it : ) In the real world, there are brats who want to be the best like Sofia's sister, Amber. Don't tell me that you haven't met a socially competitive girl who strives to be the best and have a ton of friends. We all have, and I could even name a few off the top of my head. Kids ( and adults in the past ) , you have or will experience girls who just care about their looks and popularity. Hopefully, they will learn that people start to hate them, or they will change as they mature. Sofia is a bit of a Mary Sue ( perfect character ), but what do you expect; it's a Disney cartoon?! She teaches a good lesson to the little ones, and is a role model. Once my little sister was cleaning out her room because Sofia did it on the show. My mom was surprised, but happy, and that was all thanks to little Sofia. Amber is pretty much the non example, and parents could always explain to their kiddies why they shouldn't act like that. I would say that the true antagonist in this show isn't Cedric: it's Amber. How many times has Amber tried to steal things from her, lie to her face, talk bad about her, or make her look bad? Sure she apologizes, but she does this continuously! Amber is simply a bully! Cedric tries to steal Sofia's amulet, but Amber has as well! Remember in "Princess Butterfly"! Throughout the show, Cedric and Sofia have developed a kind of unique friendship, and hey, that's cool! What the show meant to have as an antagonist is actually developing. For my final point, I am saying that everyone can enjoy this show. Once my class of teens even got into a discussion about Sophia the first. Were we talking bad about it? Heck no! We were complimenting it! My friend's little brother liked this show so much that he started calling himself a princess! My mom actually likes this show, and she doesn't like quite a few shows. So, doubtful parents, I would reconsider letting your kid watch this show. That's all for my ranting, go enjoy the magic of Sofia the First for yourself now!
Teen, 15 years old Written bydualscarghv March 20, 2015

BEST SHOW IN FOREVER

Im not one for kids shows (Im 15) but Sofia the first is amazing! It is sure to keep adults and kids entertained! It has amazing songs that teach life lessons in a fun way! Sofia (the main character) i a cutie who is a big ball of adventure! She is the presence of childhood innocents and how we all mess up but always learn a lesson! The villains have a good back story and Cedric is such a cutie! This show gets a million starts from me! Oh and anyone who says Sofia is a Mary Sue needs to watch the episode 'The Princess Test'
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2015

Why Didn't Nobody Ever Think of This?

I believe that Sofia the First should have mixed reviews between parents. There are some clear mistakes that Disney Junior make while making episodes. They make Sofia this nice charming little girl. I get that. They were flawless in that standard. But they made Amber a spoiled brat. This show has great potential. Little girls like it. Surprisingly little boys like it, too. I think this show hans't reached its true potential yet. They need to keep moving forward.
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 2, 2015

lots of positive messages and role models

perfect for my youngest of all of my children
Adult Written bybenjaminw January 4, 2015

Sofia The First

the Show is not as good as spongebob, but has positive messages to children like teaching kids about bulling etc I would give this show a easy 3.6 out of ten