All member reviews for Soul Eater

Formulaic anime is violent but interesting.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykobaltflame April 25, 2012

really good

quite a bit violent. Words include h*ll, d*mn, jack*ss, and there is a lot of nudity. Nothing innapropriate is shown, but you can see a woman naked in a bath tub
Kid, 9 years old September 1, 2012

Inappropriate for kids!

There's language in subtitles, Scenes with bars, some s3x and violence! CSM, Change the genre to: Drama!
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2012

Wow, there are a lot of 11-year-olds reviewing this...

I love this show, but is 11 like a magic number? Two other 11 year olds wrote reviews on this, and I'm only on episode 11! o.o It's fine but there's one particularly bloody episode (either episode 9 or 10) not for the squeamish.
Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2012

Some suggestive themes

This anime is overall great. Maka, Soul, and other students from DWMA work together to defeat the antagonists. At the end Crona (once evil) and Maka become friends. Although there are some scenes that may be perverted, there is not full-on nudity. The violence is a bit scary but nothing that preteens can't handle. Professor Stein is seen smoking but we see that every day in real life. Spirit has some sort of obsession with girls which is a bit odd. Overall I recommend it if you're looking for a good anime title similar to Bleach, D. Gray Man, or Fairy Tail.
Teen, 15 years old Written byxXAnimeRocksXx September 17, 2012

I SAY 13 AND UP!

Soul eater is ok for about 13 and up. BUT, when I watched soul eater, I was 11. I was the kind of girl who didn't mind these things or wasn't afraid of the monsters. Thats just me. Some people say that there is sexual content and nudity. 1. There is no hardcore sexual content. The only thing people freak out about, is when a character, try's to threaten the group, by taking the main leader and pulling up her shirt, (to like her, rips.) and threatened to experiment on her stomach. Its not like hes a stripper and takes off all her clothes!! But most of it is for laughs. That's why I say 13 and up. 2. Yes there is violence, BUT NO GORE! More like blood. I suggest that the viewer is ok with blood first. 3. Nudity? Uhhhhhhhhh..... Maybe once or twice.....I forget. I mean they don't show ANYTHING. This anime is not like this, they mostly cover it up with bubbles and suds. Like before, it depends on what your used too. Most of it is used for comedy and for laughs! 4. Cussing.....yes. Not horrible, but yes there is some language. 5. Monsters and scary creatures: too me soul eater is different from all the other horror animes. The creatures, are ok, but if your a scary cat, don't watch. 6. Drinking, drugs, and smoking: There is a drinking place in the anime but they don't do any hardcore drinking. But there is a funny part when this one guy is drunk. See, mostly for laughs. Smoking: it's been some time since I watched it, but I think this one guy smokes. I suggest that you know that smoking is bad, before you watch. The character that smokes, is a very common character threw out the series, and little kids might think he's cool, and wants to smoke to be like him..... I went threw 8 week lessons of D.A.R.E before I watched this. See, the bad content is mostly for laughs. Nothing bad. I never has nightmares, or did bad things after this anime. I thought it was great and really funny!!! :)
Adult Written byofMindandHeart November 17, 2012

Incredible show, mature content

I think this summary doesn't do justice to the messages and role models provided by this show. For one thing, the goal of 99 kishen souls and 1 witch is almost completely forgotten after the first fourth of the series. The characters encounter new, more important problems, and in the course of the anime they never even reach the original goal. In the manga, the goal is reached but they don't make a big deal about it because it's clear the characters aren't done learning just because they reached one checkpoint. Also, there is a lot of emphasis on teamwork, depending on your friends, supporting each other, and also trusting and depending on yourself. I like that Maka is tough enough to battle monsters and get scraped up without Soul jumping in to saving her. He trusts her, and she has to be in a situation where she really can't fight back before he gets overprotective. After watching so many damsel-in-distress girls who have guys jump in and save them any time they're in the tiniest bit of danger, it's nice to see characters that care about each other without the girls getting coddled. Maka is a smart, brave action girl and I don't think people should be surprised when girls like this anime, no matter how many people stereotypically label it as "for boys" only. On the other hand, this is NOT a kid's show. Parents should know that there is obvious nudity, though with important bits covered up. A common gag is having one boy's face shoved into an older girl's chest. There are minor characters who are clearly prostitutes. Two of the teachers are occasionally shown smoking, though none of the school aged characters do. There is violence, not just against bad guys but also between friends when they are annoyed. The main character repeatedly hits classmates over the head with hardcover books, and this is meant to be funny. I recommend parents watch the first few minutes of episode 4 and all of episode 11 to get a sense of the more mature parts of the show.
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2012

Is a GREAT series!!!!

In the ''whats the story'' of this series, it says it is for boys but that is NOT TRUE! I loved soul eater and i am a 12 year old girl! Also, in the ''what parents need to know'' sex part, the only thing that is that when they turn into weapons, the don't have clothes on, but THEY DON"T SHOW ANYTHING BAD. And the nosebleeds when they get aroused, if you know what that means, then you are mature, and can see it, and if you don't know about it then who cares? but if you are 11 or older then you should TOTALLY WATCH IT!!!!!!! You will not regret it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bykidnaruichi September 23, 2012

fun and enjoyable not too bloody but still violent

a great and enjoyable anime that can be violent at times but not too violent . there are some references to sex but not too bad the references are more funny than rude the language is just as bad as any other anime
Teen, 13 years old Written byImnotateenbutgood September 23, 2012

This can't be Kids' Animation! The genre should be Drama, Not Kids' Animation!

Very mature for Kids' Animation. Should be Drama.
Parent Written bysia20001 July 2, 2013

The TRUTH about "Soul Eater"

I am a parent of 3 kids and i know that things these days on TV can be very...inappropriate. I have read some of these reviews and i have to say some are really STRETCHING the truth here. Nudity and sexual content: If there ever is any nudity it is never fully shown. Characters may appear to be nude, and young adolecent boys in the cartoon do see these nude characters, but the nudity is nothing of the extreme. There is absolutley NO full nudity whatsoever. There is slight exposure to bare stomach,legs,and breasts (Nude female characters breasts are never fully shown, but when these scenes do come along, children 10 to 12 may feel uncomfortable) Also, these scenes are very rare and never really are meant in any sexual way. When one of the male characters bumps into a nude female character it is always by accident and shock, which just adds on to make you laugh. There is never any sex between any characters. (Keep in mind, the characters ages are in the early teens) One scene in which a doctor pulls a girls shirt up to show bare stomach can be misunderstood as sexual, but the character preforming this action is only trying to threaten and scare the girl in which the way he did with her father. He draws lines on her stomach to show where he will disect her, but this is just to scare her and her peers. Profanity: There is frequent uses of the word "D*mn" and "Jack*ss" but nothing too vulgar a 12 year old couldnt handle. Alcohol and Drug use: One main character is most of the time smoking a cigarette as casually as breathing. Wine may be poured and drinken by adult characters, and one character (Who is a witch) drinks blood. Other than that no other drugs are used. Frightning and Intense Scenes: The evil demon known as keshan (may not have spelled that correctly) gives out horrifying hallucinations to people who go near him. These can be very disturbing and frightning. The Keshan himself has a horrifying appearance. Other demons who are known as keshan eggs can also be quite disturbing. There are also very disturbing scenes occasionally in the entire series, but nothing too extreme. Gore and Violence: There is a lot of intense battle scenes between characters throughout the series. Of course, the scenes are very appealing to adolence audiences and are pretty fun and cool to watch. There can be a lot of blood and times, and even cuts and wounds, but since this is an anime, there is no gore.
Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2013

Unbelievable...

BE CAREFUL WATCHING THIS SHOW. The first three episodes are a practical Sex Comedy. It is NOT OK. I have noticed that many 11 year olds have said that this show is for 11 year old kids. But I have a different feel. I've been raised to avoid these perverted shows. The violence is not something to worry about but the sexual part definitely is. The language can also be factored in as problem. Not one episode has "D@mn" or "$h1t!" In it. I was encouraged to watch ten episodes of this show. In enjoyed the plot but I couldn't approve of the sexual themes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCoatiMaple December 14, 2012

A really GREAT anime!

Ahh, my favorite anime ever! I was actually 12 when I watched this show, I love it even now! Now I'm going to say, some people reviewing this are wusses. Saying it's scary, and you'll never watch it until later, or it's goory... Sure there are some 'scary' and bloody moments, but it isn't gory in any way (no guts people!)! Sure, there is drugs and smoking, but really it's just smoking you will see the most; people smoke all of the time! There is language such as s**t, d**m, f**k, ect. but what do you expect, it's a TV-14 show. There is sexual themes, BUT THATS JAPAN PEOPLE! That's Japan's view of comedy, at least it's nothing crude! You don't see a ****s or a *****a, there is no t*** or ****s! Ok, there is one character named Blair. She's the ***t of the show, and she will pop out necked, but you see nothing! Now for violence. It's a action anime, of course there is going to be violent! Just look at Naruto, there is blood in there! There is a lot of blood, of course. But there is no self-inflicted violence or anything. Positive role model : MAKA. Maka has to be one of the best characters in the show for this! She is kind to everyone and want's to do what's right. She believes a lot of people can be friends and become good if she tries to get to them (look at Crona for pineapple's sake!). Tsubaki is also another good one. She is very kind to everyone, even if they're a little annoying (Black Star). She is very tolerant and can deal with a lot of people. This show tells people that they can be friends with anyone, even if they seem mean (Crona again). It also says that if you try your hardest you can achieve almost anything. Overall it's a really great show. And to all of you wusses, wanna see something scary? Something gory? Go play Amnesia : The Dark Descent. That's scary stuff! Anyway, again this is a GREAT show! I absolutely love it! Very great character development. Ugh, this show has made me cry about 4 times, truly messes with you feelings. It's really dark, but that's what makes it great. 'Cause life isn't full of sunshine and rays of rainbows and happiness, this can teach people that.
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2013

It's not too bad

Ok first of all 1 person said 17 and up. I'm younger than that person and I watched the whole series no problem. It isn't that bad. It does show a woman in a bath tub but nothing really shows except for cleavage and the butt crack. They say the minor cuss words but that's all. There is also some blood but not too intense. It has sexual content also but barely at all. If you would let your kid watch it make sure they are mature. I'd say anywhere from 10-14 before you let them watch it. (:
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilypenny January 2, 2013

Simply Incredible

Okay, let me sum up this review in a few words.... This.... show.....is....... INCREDIBLE! I was originally a real girly girl who didn't want anything to do with anime. I was perfectly happy with plain old Disney Channel. Let me say this, I found the first episode on youtube, (because I can't stand the undubbed versions) and I figured I watch it to pass the time. I was hooked on the very first episode! It was funny, creative, and not to mention I loved Soul and Maka's friendship. All the character's are extremely well-done and learn redeeming qualities. Soul stick by his partner, Maka, through thick and thin. Maka, a young meister, becomes extremely brave. Black Star, (although he IS pretty annoying) learns that he can't be the brightest star towards the end of the series. Tsubaki, Black Star's quiet and passive partner, learns to speak out more. And Death The Kid, he's pretty wise and developed throughout the entire series, however, his two weapon partners, Liz and Patti, develope. Except for his obsession with symmetry, (a HILARIOUS obsession, I might add) Kid is pretty mature. Now hear comes the big part. Should your child be watching this? I'm thirteen and I finished watching the series about a month ago. I'm pretty mature for my age, so here's my opinion: Lanuage isn't too bad in the dubbed version, and violence is sometimes comical but isn't too much to handle, unless you're really disturbed by blood. In fact, the violence on this show mostly revolves around a fear factor, which CAN be pretty frightening, especially when the Kishin, Asura comes in. Here's the other thing, the sex is a bit too much for younger ones. Although there is none actually shown, there's a lot of innuendo and Blair the Witch is pretty promiscuous. Not only that, but Spirit, (Death Scythe) takes regular trips to a bar with escorts. Although this is an amazing show, I have to reccomend that mature tweens or teens watch it. P.S. The music is beyond amazing! I'm listening to the second opening theme, Black Paper Moon, on youtube right now! Almost have it memorized in both English and Japanese!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAqua Kaiba December 9, 2012

Wonderful but with some disadvateges

It's a great anime for young teens that are ready for it it is a great start for animes like this. For mauture teens that can handle blood death wepons language and some nudity. Parents should make sure their kid is mature enough to watch
Kid, 11 years old April 23, 2013

Tweens and up (Like me)

I just started watching it and... how do I put it? It's kinda pervy at times. But it's VERY hard too find anime that isn't. There is SOME minor language. There IS some violence and gore. But it's an action show, there is gonna be violence. I'll be honest, this show is not for the lighthearted. The thing that makes me like it SO much is because I can easily relate too Death the kid. He excessively worries about small things like I do. I think it is good for Tweens and up like me. Anybody below the age of 10 is pushing it, though. :)
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2013

ONE OF THE BEST ANIMES EVER! Great for kids who love shonen and I'm a GIRL!

I really love Soul Eater! It's one of the best animes I've ever seen! Death the Kid is so freaking funny! LOL But there are some scenes which are not appropriate for kids. It has pretty much a lot of blood and fighting and people with weak stomachs can't watch this. (I'm glad I don't have a weak stomach) It also has the usual curses like a**, sh**, da** and blah blah. It has some nudity but nothing is visible. Overall, pretty great anime! I recommend it to kids who LOVE action and shonen like me. And I'm a girl.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnimefan13 June 4, 2013

It Depends On what Kind of Parent Your are. Otherwise, It Is Not That Bad.

Soul Eater is a good anime. It sends some good messages out to a person, like what fear is and how you should never give up. Compared to the other anime shows out there, it could be worse. I was 12 when I watched this particular show, and nothing in it seemed all that bad. There is some partial nudity, but you cant really see it at all. The violence isn't too bad, there is blood, but there is not too much. Nothing that could influence a child to become deranged. Soul Eater does say some curse words, but they are minor words that your child has probably heard you say. compared to everyday life this show is not that bad. I mean, most of the things in this show your child should be already used to. There is drinking and smoking, but only a little bit. For me, it only made drinking and smoking more disgusting because of how Spirit (the main character's dad, Maka) would act. It does have an epic story and can be quite humorous. The adult humor is really not that bad. Little do you know, children have a tendency to say worse things in real life than there is in this show. I believe that it is 12 and up. But, it depends on whether you are a over-protective child or not.
Adult Written byDragonflames1994 September 30, 2013

An excellent show for teens.

Soul Eater is an anime about a group of students at a special fighting school fight and defend people against evil demons. A lot of the show is about teamwork and trusting one another, and in one episode the main character, Maka, makes friends with a misunderstood enemy instead of fighting him. The violence isn't full of gore, but sometimes there is a lot of blood in fights. Blood is also used in some of the most minor injuries, usually in a comedic way. Characters are stabbed in the chest, punched, cut in half, etc. Expect lots of violence between good and evil, often with lots of blood. Characters sometimes fight each other, or hit each other on the head but these are never serious. Make sure you're okay with blood and violence if you're watching. As for sex, there are occasionally jokes about boobs or skirts, and a rather comical scene where a father asks his friend to buy his daughter a book for her birthday, but his friend accidentally ends up buying panties and a tiny bra instead and gives it to her, much to her disgust. Once a character flips up another character's skirt, to her embarrassment, but nothing is shown. Characters never have sex, nor is it implied. A few times a character will be shown in the bath, where you can see cleavage and legs, but no real nudity is shown, but it is implied. Adult characters sometimes are seen at bars, or drinking wine, but they are not drunk, though one pretends to be once. A main character is a scientist that smokes often. There are scary scenes, for example there is a demon that is trapped in a bag made from it's own skin, and as it escapes the skin can be seen stretching around it's unseen body from within the bag. Some monsters are fairly creepy. As for language, there are frequent uses of "d*mn", "h*ll", "b*stard". No uses of "sh*t" or anything worse. All in all it depends on how mature or experienced you or your child is to decide whether they should watch the show. Children under 13 would probably be too young to understand the plot or the jokes geared toward the older set. If you're okay with violence, blood, and occasional mild sexual jokes, this is an excellent show.
Adult Written bychristian2011 July 21, 2013

Truly one of a kind anime with unique design and interesting plot/characters.

Soul Eater may be somewhat similar to fantasy/supernatural anime like Bleach and Gintama, but features a more cartoonish/androgomous design, which doesn't take away from the surprisingly interesting storyline and funny yet likeable characters (Maka, Soul, Chrona, Dr. Stein, Death The Kid). It's about a young teen girl named Maka who goes to the prestigious Death Academy to learn and become an experienced "Soul Eater" with her friend, Soul, a teenage boy who transforms into a death scythe - her primary weapon. Their goal is to consume 99 souls, and are obligated with completeing multiple dangerous missions to obtain them. One of the main antagonists is Medusa, a highly evil treacherous witch who experiments on multiple human beings in order to gain additional firepower to aid her in her desired goals, even to the sinister extent to using her own son for her selfish motives. While Soul Eater may appear kid-friendly, it's an anime mostly recommended for teens and up, due to the violence (there's blood, torture, implied gore), profanity (d*mn, h*ll, b*stard), adult humor/themes with nudity and sexual references/dialogue, also with some drug use (drinking and smoking). There are some tragic and emotional moments shown throughout the anime, which some main characters meet their unfortunate fate - not spoiling!