Formulaic anime is violent but interesting.

Parent Written bysia20001 July 2, 2013

The TRUTH about "Soul Eater"

I am a parent of 3 kids and i know that things these days on TV can be very...inappropriate. I have read some of these reviews and i have to say some are really STRETCHING the truth here. Nudity and sexual content: If there ever is any nudity it is never fully shown. Characters may appear to be nude, and young adolecent boys in the cartoon do see these nude characters, but the nudity is nothing of the extreme. There is absolutley NO full nudity whatsoever. There is slight exposure to bare stomach,legs,and breasts (Nude female characters breasts are never fully shown, but when these scenes do come along, children 10 to 12 may feel uncomfortable) Also, these scenes are very rare and never really are meant in any sexual way. When one of the male characters bumps into a nude female character it is always by accident and shock, which just adds on to make you laugh. There is never any sex between any characters. (Keep in mind, the characters ages are in the early teens) One scene in which a doctor pulls a girls shirt up to show bare stomach can be misunderstood as sexual, but the character preforming this action is only trying to threaten and scare the girl in which the way he did with her father. He draws lines on her stomach to show where he will disect her, but this is just to scare her and her peers. Profanity: There is frequent uses of the word "D*mn" and "Jack*ss" but nothing too vulgar a 12 year old couldnt handle. Alcohol and Drug use: One main character is most of the time smoking a cigarette as casually as breathing. Wine may be poured and drinken by adult characters, and one character (Who is a witch) drinks blood. Other than that no other drugs are used. Frightning and Intense Scenes: The evil demon known as keshan (may not have spelled that correctly) gives out horrifying hallucinations to people who go near him. These can be very disturbing and frightning. The Keshan himself has a horrifying appearance. Other demons who are known as keshan eggs can also be quite disturbing. There are also very disturbing scenes occasionally in the entire series, but nothing too extreme. Gore and Violence: There is a lot of intense battle scenes between characters throughout the series. Of course, the scenes are very appealing to adolence audiences and are pretty fun and cool to watch. There can be a lot of blood and times, and even cuts and wounds, but since this is an anime, there is no gore.
Teen, 15 years old Written byxXAnimeRocksXx September 17, 2012

I SAY 13 AND UP!

Soul eater is ok for about 13 and up. BUT, when I watched soul eater, I was 11. I was the kind of girl who didn't mind these things or wasn't afraid of the monsters. Thats just me. Some people say that there is sexual content and nudity. 1. There is no hardcore sexual content. The only thing people freak out about, is when a character, try's to threaten the group, by taking the main leader and pulling up her shirt, (to like her, rips.) and threatened to experiment on her stomach. Its not like hes a stripper and takes off all her clothes!! But most of it is for laughs. That's why I say 13 and up. 2. Yes there is violence, BUT NO GORE! More like blood. I suggest that the viewer is ok with blood first. 3. Nudity? Uhhhhhhhhh..... Maybe once or twice.....I forget. I mean they don't show ANYTHING. This anime is not like this, they mostly cover it up with bubbles and suds. Like before, it depends on what your used too. Most of it is used for comedy and for laughs! 4. Cussing.....yes. Not horrible, but yes there is some language. 5. Monsters and scary creatures: too me soul eater is different from all the other horror animes. The creatures, are ok, but if your a scary cat, don't watch. 6. Drinking, drugs, and smoking: There is a drinking place in the anime but they don't do any hardcore drinking. But there is a funny part when this one guy is drunk. See, mostly for laughs. Smoking: it's been some time since I watched it, but I think this one guy smokes. I suggest that you know that smoking is bad, before you watch. The character that smokes, is a very common character threw out the series, and little kids might think he's cool, and wants to smoke to be like him..... I went threw 8 week lessons of D.A.R.E before I watched this. See, the bad content is mostly for laughs. Nothing bad. I never has nightmares, or did bad things after this anime. I thought it was great and really funny!!! :)
Teen, 14 years old Written bykobaltflame April 25, 2012

really good

quite a bit violent. Words include h*ll, d*mn, jack*ss, and there is a lot of nudity. Nothing innapropriate is shown, but you can see a woman naked in a bath tub
Kid, 9 years old September 1, 2012

Inappropriate for kids!

There's language in subtitles, Scenes with bars, some s3x and violence! CSM, Change the genre to: Drama!
Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2012

Some suggestive themes

This anime is overall great. Maka, Soul, and other students from DWMA work together to defeat the antagonists. At the end Crona (once evil) and Maka become friends. Although there are some scenes that may be perverted, there is not full-on nudity. The violence is a bit scary but nothing that preteens can't handle. Professor Stein is seen smoking but we see that every day in real life. Spirit has some sort of obsession with girls which is a bit odd. Overall I recommend it if you're looking for a good anime title similar to Bleach, D. Gray Man, or Fairy Tail.
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2014

AWESOME

i think kids can watch this and everyone who says they shouldnt is underestimating what kids can handle. There are 9 years olds who watch Attack on Titan!!! This anime is awesome! Sure there is a bit of violence but not to the degree where you have nightmares. I showed my cousins this and they love it. I think rating Soul Eater TV-14 is a bit too extreme.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThatonecooldude June 23, 2013

Lighten up a bit. bwahaha

okay, as an anime fan I find this anime highly entertaining. And before you people blame the show for being inappropriate for children. It is your responsibility to read the ratings correctly. this anime has similar styles to that of Tim burton, It's dark yet humorous. and for those that say It's too sexual, it really isn't, It is suggestive. a nosebleed is a creative way to censor an erection , but none of the character have any sexual encounters. a character named death the kid who has OCD compared the breasts of his fellow companions because of their lack of symmetry. something a pg-13 movie might include. but yet again I can't force you to like this anime, but If you're like me( an awesome fellow who enjoys this dark humor) than you might like it. and parents, I am almost positive that you people were mature enough to watch this when you attended high school ( assuming you attended) and had similar feeling that are relatable to this anime. as a side note: for those who don't already know, anime or Japanese animation is not only targeted for children, certain anime targets certain demographics. Genres range from romance and drama ( which targets female audiences) to action and adventure ( which targets male audiences). well this seems to wrap it up. thanks to those kind people who took the time to read my probably long post. but it's worth the read. XD
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2012

Wow, there are a lot of 11-year-olds reviewing this...

I love this show, but is 11 like a magic number? Two other 11 year olds wrote reviews on this, and I'm only on episode 11! o.o It's fine but there's one particularly bloody episode (either episode 9 or 10) not for the squeamish.
Adult Written byofMindandHeart November 17, 2012

Incredible show, mature content

I think this summary doesn't do justice to the messages and role models provided by this show. For one thing, the goal of 99 kishen souls and 1 witch is almost completely forgotten after the first fourth of the series. The characters encounter new, more important problems, and in the course of the anime they never even reach the original goal. In the manga, the goal is reached but they don't make a big deal about it because it's clear the characters aren't done learning just because they reached one checkpoint. Also, there is a lot of emphasis on teamwork, depending on your friends, supporting each other, and also trusting and depending on yourself. I like that Maka is tough enough to battle monsters and get scraped up without Soul jumping in to saving her. He trusts her, and she has to be in a situation where she really can't fight back before he gets overprotective. After watching so many damsel-in-distress girls who have guys jump in and save them any time they're in the tiniest bit of danger, it's nice to see characters that care about each other without the girls getting coddled. Maka is a smart, brave action girl and I don't think people should be surprised when girls like this anime, no matter how many people stereotypically label it as "for boys" only. On the other hand, this is NOT a kid's show. Parents should know that there is obvious nudity, though with important bits covered up. A common gag is having one boy's face shoved into an older girl's chest. There are minor characters who are clearly prostitutes. Two of the teachers are occasionally shown smoking, though none of the school aged characters do. There is violence, not just against bad guys but also between friends when they are annoyed. The main character repeatedly hits classmates over the head with hardcover books, and this is meant to be funny. I recommend parents watch the first few minutes of episode 4 and all of episode 11 to get a sense of the more mature parts of the show.
Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2015

Not as bad as you think

This show does have some parts that are questionable like with Blair in the tub but It really isn't that bad they show cleavage and part of her butt and for only a few seconds she doesn't seduce soul she buries him in her chest and he gets a nose bleed.... I don't see a problem with the nose bleeds they have them in Naruto and they have girl escorts as well...The language is. Not that bad either dam* bast*** etc...There is a lot of violence if you can handle blood and fighting it's not a problem also some of the demons might be a little grotesque.... I think some parents are over protective when it come to shows like this it isn't as bad as people think just a reminder if you're going to watch anime expect violence nose bleeds cleavage and big busts if you don't want any of those don't watch anime
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2012

Is a GREAT series!!!!

In the ''whats the story'' of this series, it says it is for boys but that is NOT TRUE! I loved soul eater and i am a 12 year old girl! Also, in the ''what parents need to know'' sex part, the only thing that is that when they turn into weapons, the don't have clothes on, but THEY DON"T SHOW ANYTHING BAD. And the nosebleeds when they get aroused, if you know what that means, then you are mature, and can see it, and if you don't know about it then who cares? but if you are 11 or older then you should TOTALLY WATCH IT!!!!!!! You will not regret it!
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTakeshi kim March 31, 2013

Soul Eater review children age 15 or older can watch this.

Anime's are so amazing but soul eater is pretty strange then the other anime's I watched.When I watched I decided this could be good.I decided to post this since I watched the whole series.It should be 15 or older like older teens that can understand some strong language,blood and gore,nudity,drinking,drugs&smoking, and adult jokes.This show is really about a group of kids during to defeat bunch of evil monster that keep feeding to a evil soul.Very inappropriate to show a kid this kind of graphical show.Trust me on this
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2013

It's not too bad

Ok first of all 1 person said 17 and up. I'm younger than that person and I watched the whole series no problem. It isn't that bad. It does show a woman in a bath tub but nothing really shows except for cleavage and the butt crack. They say the minor cuss words but that's all. There is also some blood but not too intense. It has sexual content also but barely at all. If you would let your kid watch it make sure they are mature. I'd say anywhere from 10-14 before you let them watch it. (:
Kid, 11 years old April 23, 2013

Tweens and up (Like me)

I just started watching it and... how do I put it? It's kinda pervy at times. But it's VERY hard too find anime that isn't. There is SOME minor language. There IS some violence and gore. But it's an action show, there is gonna be violence. I'll be honest, this show is not for the lighthearted. The thing that makes me like it SO much is because I can easily relate too Death the kid. He excessively worries about small things like I do. I think it is good for Tweens and up like me. Anybody below the age of 10 is pushing it, though. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilypenny January 2, 2013

Simply Incredible

Okay, let me sum up this review in a few words.... This.... show.....is....... INCREDIBLE! I was originally a real girly girl who didn't want anything to do with anime. I was perfectly happy with plain old Disney Channel. Let me say this, I found the first episode on youtube, (because I can't stand the undubbed versions) and I figured I watch it to pass the time. I was hooked on the very first episode! It was funny, creative, and not to mention I loved Soul and Maka's friendship. All the character's are extremely well-done and learn redeeming qualities. Soul stick by his partner, Maka, through thick and thin. Maka, a young meister, becomes extremely brave. Black Star, (although he IS pretty annoying) learns that he can't be the brightest star towards the end of the series. Tsubaki, Black Star's quiet and passive partner, learns to speak out more. And Death The Kid, he's pretty wise and developed throughout the entire series, however, his two weapon partners, Liz and Patti, develope. Except for his obsession with symmetry, (a HILARIOUS obsession, I might add) Kid is pretty mature. Now hear comes the big part. Should your child be watching this? I'm thirteen and I finished watching the series about a month ago. I'm pretty mature for my age, so here's my opinion: Lanuage isn't too bad in the dubbed version, and violence is sometimes comical but isn't too much to handle, unless you're really disturbed by blood. In fact, the violence on this show mostly revolves around a fear factor, which CAN be pretty frightening, especially when the Kishin, Asura comes in. Here's the other thing, the sex is a bit too much for younger ones. Although there is none actually shown, there's a lot of innuendo and Blair the Witch is pretty promiscuous. Not only that, but Spirit, (Death Scythe) takes regular trips to a bar with escorts. Although this is an amazing show, I have to reccomend that mature tweens or teens watch it. P.S. The music is beyond amazing! I'm listening to the second opening theme, Black Paper Moon, on youtube right now! Almost have it memorized in both English and Japanese!
Educator and Parent Written byTopoi April 7, 2014

Top of the lot.

Soul eater as an anime is inheritably rather violent, and sometimes contains scenes of partial nudity or edgy clothing, yet is so much more. Like many other shounen anime, this is targeted to young males, but girls will find pleasure in watching it too. It has some rather astronishing symbolism and cultural references. If you are under 15, you should consinder more kids friendly shows, as anime tends to be VERY VIOLENT at times (Attack on Tiatan, Death note, Shiki, Elfen Lied...) and go watch some cartoons. If you feel up to it though, you are really going to enjoy it.
Kid, 11 years old January 10, 2013

Unbelievable...

BE CAREFUL WATCHING THIS SHOW. The first three episodes are a practical Sex Comedy. It is NOT OK. I have noticed that many 11 year olds have said that this show is for 11 year old kids. But I have a different feel. I've been raised to avoid these perverted shows. The violence is not something to worry about but the sexual part definitely is. The language can also be factored in as problem. Not one episode has "D@mn" or "$h1t!" In it. I was encouraged to watch ten episodes of this show. In enjoyed the plot but I couldn't approve of the sexual themes.
Adult Written byDragonflames1994 September 30, 2013

An excellent show for teens.

Soul Eater is an anime about a group of students at a special fighting school fight and defend people against evil demons. A lot of the show is about teamwork and trusting one another, and in one episode the main character, Maka, makes friends with a misunderstood enemy instead of fighting him. The violence isn't full of gore, but sometimes there is a lot of blood in fights. Blood is also used in some of the most minor injuries, usually in a comedic way. Characters are stabbed in the chest, punched, cut in half, etc. Expect lots of violence between good and evil, often with lots of blood. Characters sometimes fight each other, or hit each other on the head but these are never serious. Make sure you're okay with blood and violence if you're watching. As for sex, there are occasionally jokes about boobs or skirts, and a rather comical scene where a father asks his friend to buy his daughter a book for her birthday, but his friend accidentally ends up buying panties and a tiny bra instead and gives it to her, much to her disgust. Once a character flips up another character's skirt, to her embarrassment, but nothing is shown. Characters never have sex, nor is it implied. A few times a character will be shown in the bath, where you can see cleavage and legs, but no real nudity is shown, but it is implied. Adult characters sometimes are seen at bars, or drinking wine, but they are not drunk, though one pretends to be once. A main character is a scientist that smokes often. There are scary scenes, for example there is a demon that is trapped in a bag made from it's own skin, and as it escapes the skin can be seen stretching around it's unseen body from within the bag. Some monsters are fairly creepy. As for language, there are frequent uses of "d*mn", "h*ll", "b*stard". No uses of "sh*t" or anything worse. All in all it depends on how mature or experienced you or your child is to decide whether they should watch the show. Children under 13 would probably be too young to understand the plot or the jokes geared toward the older set. If you're okay with violence, blood, and occasional mild sexual jokes, this is an excellent show.
Adult Written byJosephine W. November 11, 2016

It's fine chill out!

This show is fine for anyone 9 and up! I have 4 kids and honestly it's no that bad. There is cleavage in a few of the manga pages in the whole series! Nothing is too violent, a few bloody scenes here and there. Maka one of the main protagonists is a great role model. She studies hard for tests to be the best and saves lives from kishins . It shows you if you work hard enough you can reach your goals and make a strong team w/ your meister. The cussing is no problem if your a parent and cuss, a few bad words like damn and asshole here and there. Dr. Stein a character can sometimes be seen with a cigarette so just tell your kids "Dr. Stein will get lung or throat cancer because he smokes, so you shouldn't." There is not too much consumerism in this show. No drugs or alcohol. In my opinion, after raising four kids, this show is okay for 9+. There is not too much of any of the bad things on the list to "warn" you about so I will not choose them but that does not mean there isn't any. I hope my advice was helpful.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMiyu December 29, 2015

One of My Favorite Series

It's such a wonderful series, and just about anyone could enjoy it. There is very, very little nudity. The worst you will see is a girl who tries to force herself upon one of the main characters, but, no private parts are visible, unless you count a side boob. As for violence, there is lots. There is a surprising amount of blood, but no gore. This series could definitely upset younger people, though, as it handles topics such as insanity, death, and divorce. Several of the characters can be seen drinking and smoking and a swear word is dropped every so often, but nothing worse than "d*mn!" and "what the h*ll?!" There are also positive messages to the series, too. The series teaches you to turn your fear into courage and fight for what you believe in. I highly recommend this series, as it is highly interesting, and just completely wonderful, in my opinion. There's a total of 51 episodes, so if you ever have the time, you should definitely check it out. Gr8 series m8 I r8 8/8.