All member reviews for SpongeBob SquarePants

Edgy, frenetic animated comedy is iffy for youngest kids.

Parent of a 4 year old Written bySarahS January 8, 2010

Gross, full of inappropriate behaviors. There is nothing positive about this show. It favors questionable language choices, violent conduct and vulgar ways.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 28, 2010

Old Episodes Were Great, Now...Not So Much.

I LOVED Spongebob back in the late 90s early 2000s. The episodes were clever and funny. Now it's just overly used gross humor and slapstick. A little slapstick and gross humor is fine, but this is too much. This show was at its high point in 2003, I recommend you go watch those episodes. Pretty much any episode of this show from 2006 on (with the exception of the one where Squidward becomes handsome) is terrible.
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byMeredithR July 12, 2010

Junk food for the mind

Sponge Bob is like junk food for the mind. Of all the wonderful kids programming out there, we just don't waste our time on shows our daughter won't get anything positive out of. The characters don't treat their friends well - we teach our kids to respect other people, which includes not hitting their friends. But Sponge Bob does it, so why not? And I really don't want my kids calling their buddies "idiot" or "stupid", or generally acting rude. The last straw for me was when my 3.5 year old spit at me and later spit on her brother. She later told me that Patrick did it and it was funny. Great role model! There are much better shows out there, people!
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2010

A Classic!

I've watched this show all my life, and its really good. It is MUCH better than new shows, like Fanboy and Chum Chum.
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2010

Old episodes are the best, new ones have lost their touch

I grew up with Spongebob and everyone in my family loves it. I like the older ones since they are more mature and funnier humor unlike the newer ones that aren't really that funny and are sometimes really gross.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byGI-ANT MOM April 10, 2010

Godd for kids of any age! Positive lessons in the end!

I have watched nearly every episode with my children and have found a prominent, positive message in nearly all of them. I would suspect parents who have not really sat with their children to watch might hear bits and peices and pass judgement, but if you see it through and actually take the time to sit with your children to explain things they might be unsure of, it is a perfect opportunity to talk with them heart to heart about real issues that they are or will deal with...Reality!Parents the real world is not like "Leave it to Beaver" and this show helps kids realize that bad things can happen including name calling and fighting etc. and that there are ways to deal with it. my sons have learned many positive words and lessons well beyond his years. Pay attention and you will see... compared to many other shows it is one of the best!
Kid, 12 years old May 6, 2011

Appropriate, but...

While there's nothing particularly inappropriate in Spongebob, I simply find myself not enjoying the show anymore. I remember a few years ago, I would flop on the couch after school with a glass of milk and a pile of homework, watching Spongebob and laughing aloud quite frequently. It was once a great show, with episodes containing pretty good plot lines, entertaining characters, and rip-roaring humor. Unfortunately, that Spongebob is no more. The characters who's antics once surprised and delighted you are now boring and overdone: Spongebob is too happy, Patrick is getting more imbecilic by the second, Squidward has something akin to manic depression, and Mr. Krabs does nothing but talk about money. Along with this, the creators have simply run out of ideas, exchanging their old, intelligent humor for slapstick and cringe-worthy puns. I'm afraid Spongebob Squarepants' golden days are over, and will provide entertainment for only the youngest of children. Parents might want to pick up a good book when this one comes on.
Kid, 10 years old July 13, 2010

Wonderful show for kids who like to have fun.

To all you parents who think SpongeBob isn't a good role model for your children,your just making your kids suffer.SpongeBob is a fun-loving character,and if you can't handle that,something is definitely wrong with you. Don't you want your kids to have fun and live life freely? EXACTLY!!! So SpongeBob is a very good cartoon to watch,and it always will be. But,I do have some concerns about the new episodes. Ever since the movie was aired,the episodes have gotten a little haywire. Some injuries can be grossening to little ones. "Dumb" and "Stupid" are said in the show,and my little brother says it all the time now. So,overall,SpongeBob is wonderful,but try to be careful with the newest episodes.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byHaidensMommy01 September 30, 2009

Spongebob isnt appropriate for the young audience it appeals to.

Ive seen numerous butt's in this cartoon and although it is funny it isnt for my 2 year old daughter who wants to watch spongebob because her older cousin does. I also watched the movie which shows spongebob in the shower with squidward and then they get "drunk" off ice cream and spongebob wakes up with a hangover and is late for work. These are not messages i want to send to my child. Also at one point Patrick asks the mermaid if she has seen his underwear to which she replys no and he says Do you want to? ... things like this may be over my 2 year olds head but not my 8 year old cousin who is laughing and then repeating it. I dont think spongebob is appropriate for children under the age of 14.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byJoeyBroey177 August 15, 2010

Any age

Not violent at all.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKnowWhatGood March 31, 2011

Spongebob=KIDS BEING HURTFUL

This show was good for when it started, but not NOW! The plots are silly, the characters are as dumb as doorknobs and it's just plain BORING. Kids shouldn't be repeating this stuff and it is just wrong. It's not even right for kids ages 7 and up! Kids that age don't even understand that material.
Kid, 9 years old March 21, 2010

GROSS

I like this show but Don't watch it while your eating because there is some really gross stuff in the show. Like show organs ,baft and other gross stuff , Like in one epoise there is a war about washing your hands and patrirk donset wash his hands.
Adult Written bysadiesmom December 22, 2009

Spoungebob is a great cartoon! All 3 of my kids- ages 4,6, ans 8 love this show! I enjoy watching it myself. It is a positive, happy, educational cartoon and it brings everyones spirits up. Spoungebob also has alot of comedy that keeps my kids laughing through the entire episode. I only wish they would have more air time for this cartoon! I highly recommend it.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byBurt Mom August 18, 2009

Not for Toddlers

My daughter came home from daycare saying that if you eat a bee you'll die because they put a bee in a krabby patty and fed it to someone and they died. After some research I've decided she probably saw the "Nasty Patty" episode where they feed the health inspector a krabby patty which has toe nail clippings, has been dropped in the toilet and cleaned with a dirty sock and a fly happens to get in his mouth and he chokes on it. While the inspector is choking they are saying "Watch him suffer". They then decide to bury the body so they don't go to jail. Now granted, the inspector isn't really dead, just unconscious, but this is NOT something I want my 4 year old watching for entertainment. I have not seen the episode personally (nor do I intend to), but it sounds AWFUL (I read the entire transcript) and inappropriate for younger children. It's more than just explaining to a child not to use certain language the characters use. I certainly should not be in a position where I'm telling my 4 year old that she should be burying a body in the yard or feeding gross and nasty things to people!
Adult Written byMjoyseeking February 25, 2011

Humor to hide just plain meanness.

It was originally made for MTV! It's sad how desensitized WE parents can be. Many kids feel unsafe due to lack of boundaries or guidance. I prefer the cartoons where the bad guy is the bad guy and evil is portrayed as evil. This show may have a mean guy which is a bad guy but it's not super obvious and is confusing. Especially to young kids. There is just so much more to learn and do in the world and spongebob is not my teacher of choice.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bythunder1 August 21, 2009

This is not apropriate for kids 8-

You may think I am crazy saying that kids 8- shouldn't see this but if you watch many episodes you will notice many "sexually concentrated" things they say. Yet this can be funny there are some rather "gruesome" scenes and or "violent for kids" scenes. Yet your kids may not understand the things they say some things are rather very obvious. I warn parents about letting kids watch this...
Parent of a 6 year old Written bysshultz November 10, 2009

Watch sparingly, a good "downtime" cartoon

Spongebob is definitely one of those cartoons that I would equate with 'downtime' for a child. I think it is a fine silly and funny cartoon for the lighter moments in between school, homework, activities and sports. Kids are incredibly scheduled these days and this cartoon can server as a fun "off " time. I would certainly tune in sparingly as there are other, far more educational choices, but again Spongebob has it's place.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byKevin Quire November 27, 2009

Gets Annoying

The little kids will love this show to a point where you have to leave the house to get some peace and quiet. However anyone around fourteen and up, (as long as they have matured) will find this show just plain annoying.
Kid, 11 years old April 25, 2010

All Ages Can See This Show.

Spongebob has been my fav since it began. The Comon Sense rating is wrong. I watched Spongebob all the time! I even saw the movie!
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bybabydol33 March 9, 2010

Stay away if you're young and/or impressionable

Not appropriate for children under 8 years old. Uses words like stupid, idiot, etc. There is constant disdain between the characters, and simple things like eating too much turn into the body actually blowing up into pieces, with a head attached to tubes by itself in the ambulance, and the legs in a big bowl.