All member reviews for SpongeBob SquarePants

Edgy, frenetic animated comedy is iffy for youngest kids.

Adult Written byCyraxPredator November 8, 2011

good for kids

Parent Written byMarkus Summers June 20, 2011

Dark and satirical cartoon offers lessons for hostile social situations

You need to know your kids before letting them watch this cartoon. The violence is an issue, and lately the humor has grown more and more gross. Believe it or not, there are some lessons your kid can use mixed in the name calling and explosions. I've been letting my boy watch this since he was 6 (he's 13 now) and I really think it helps kids in hostile situations. No matter how hard we try, there'll always be people that call each other names and try to hurt each other, and this a very easy way for young children to learn how to deal with them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieLover1222 January 16, 2011

Better for tweens/teens

This show is horrible. My younger brothers (5 and 3) go around saying I hate you and that i'm stupid just from watching this show. I also think that this show is pretty boring. I'd change the channel.
Kid, 9 years old March 21, 2010

GROSS

I like this show but Don't watch it while your eating because there is some really gross stuff in the show. Like show organs ,baft and other gross stuff , Like in one epoise there is a war about washing your hands and patrirk donset wash his hands.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bythunder1 August 21, 2009

This is not apropriate for kids 8-

You may think I am crazy saying that kids 8- shouldn't see this but if you watch many episodes you will notice many "sexually concentrated" things they say. Yet this can be funny there are some rather "gruesome" scenes and or "violent for kids" scenes. Yet your kids may not understand the things they say some things are rather very obvious. I warn parents about letting kids watch this...
Adult Written byPolitical Pulpit April 9, 2008

Very appropriate

I think there is too much intellectualizing going on here. Young kids are not looking into the hidden messages that the adults imagine. Spongebob is a fun program for most age groups because it appeals on several different levels. I grew up with Bugs Bunny. When I watched Bugs in 1954, I did not catch the same messages I would if I watched it now as an adult. Spongebob is tame when compared to the old Popeyes and Bugs cartoons.
Adult Written bypunk_butters April 9, 2008

Yeah...

I persoanlly don't enjoy this show, but I just want to make a point to some of the parents. You are over reacting! You're rating it TV-14 & all, but c'mon. It's just an immature kiddy show. You're acting like it's worse than South Park. 'Oh! It has potty humor!' What show now days doesn't? You should have boundaries for your kids & all, but geeze, loosen up a little!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byMadison's Mommy July 18, 2013

Praying for cancellation

My daughter is only 2 and she has a half sister who is 7. I absolutely will not, under any circumstances let my 2 year old watch even a minute of this ridiculous show! It is so stupid! Not to mention whenever my step daughter watches she turns into a zombie and we cannot get her attention. So annoyed that this show is still on.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNASCAR101 April 16, 2013

Sponge Boob

this show is terrible. after the movie, it should have ended. the old episodes were good. 2005-present was dumb. let's take a look @ the characters. Spongebob: he was a guy whom loved working, and was a liitle bit dumb, now, he's hopped up on sugar, and incredibly annoying. Patrick: he was only a little bit dumb, now, he's brain dead. Squidward: he's a guy who wanted sponge bob and patrick to die. he's the only likable character now a days. thank God for Squidward. Mr. Krabs: he was a son of a gun who had a heart of a gold, now, he a son of a witch whose a money-greedy butthole who is a complete pain . thanks for reading this review
Teen, 13 years old Written byI like family guy June 16, 2012

Spongebob review

I have seen more then 100 episodes of Spongebob
Teen, 16 years old Written byDrCool May 30, 2012

My favorite show of all time!

Out of every brilliant cartoon,this one is the BEST! The animation is really colorful and the jokes are funny! SPONGEBOB RULES!
Teen, 16 years old Written byGetoverit May 19, 2012

Geez, people are dumb

I think spongebob is fine, I mean who gives a crap if they say 'stupid' you guys act like they're singing ' Young, Wild & Free' Geez, I mean wow.I mean they have some romodels and Educational Value, I mean remember the episode were Spongebob forgot how to tie his shoe than he sang a song? Well, he taught me how to tie my shoes.
Adult Written byshatterdude April 15, 2012

Spongebob's canceled

Spongebob is completely horrible!, The worst cartoon in the entire world is spongebob, it never deserves fame, and everything in the first place, Cancel it! and I want the people who made that wretched cartoon FIRED!!!!!!
Adult Written bycherry619 October 21, 2011

Teach your kids early on

Really parents? I grew up in the nineties, I watched classic Nick shows as well as Spongebob. Now I am going to college to be a teacher. Sometimes you can stuff your kids brains with positive messages but they won't always turn out happy sunshine's because there's a pesky thing called reality and reality doesn't work that way as in kids shows. Spongebob mixes general sillies and jokes with real world problems. The words 'idiot' and 'stupid' will always show up in the real world. You can cover their ears all you like but they will hear it sooner or later. Watching Spongebob gives parents a great opportunity to teach children what they will face when they get older. Name calling, disappointment, those annoying friends, pesky neighbors, losing jobs, getting crushes etc. are part of reality and they will all face this some day. Like another review said it's a perfect opportunity to sit down with your kids and explain this things. Not to mention Spongebob general quirkiness will grab the attention of any young child and despite him being sometimes oblivious many kids can relate.
Parent Written by2chiquitas September 5, 2011

no redeeming qualities

Kid, 12 years old March 25, 2011

Explicit

The old Spongebob was way better than the new, more animated ones. The older episodes simply had a pink-ish bump when a character gets stung by a jellyfish, but now the newer episodes are very explicit. There are now really gushy splinters, very detailed spoiled food, and of course, gooey muck that no kid wants to see. The animation is better, but there are tons of things that make children go "bleh!"
Teen, 16 years old Written byjfreighgiuhg March 22, 2011

spongebob is as edgy as a circle

I don't like spongebob but it is not edgy. They say "stupid" but come on, they could do worse. Besides, parents should do their jobs and talk to their kids. Don't plop your kid in front of the TV all day and complain there brains are rotten. The show is dumb but its fine for little kids. Hitting someone or telling your neighbor to shut up is fine for a six year old.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytransformersdar... March 16, 2011

Dont Let Your Kids watch The Simpsons?

I Dont Know if you guys noticed it , but there is a lot of innuendo.Its Just As bad As The Simpsons.
Adult Written byMjoyseeking February 25, 2011

Humor to hide just plain meanness.

It was originally made for MTV! It's sad how desensitized WE parents can be. Many kids feel unsafe due to lack of boundaries or guidance. I prefer the cartoons where the bad guy is the bad guy and evil is portrayed as evil. This show may have a mean guy which is a bad guy but it's not super obvious and is confusing. Especially to young kids. There is just so much more to learn and do in the world and spongebob is not my teacher of choice.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrendan Conway December 5, 2010