All member reviews for SpongeBob SquarePants

Edgy, frenetic animated comedy is iffy for youngest kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieLover1222 January 16, 2011

Better for tweens/teens

This show is horrible. My younger brothers (5 and 3) go around saying I hate you and that i'm stupid just from watching this show. I also think that this show is pretty boring. I'd change the channel.
Kid, 9 years old March 21, 2010

GROSS

I like this show but Don't watch it while your eating because there is some really gross stuff in the show. Like show organs ,baft and other gross stuff , Like in one epoise there is a war about washing your hands and patrirk donset wash his hands.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bythunder1 August 21, 2009

This is not apropriate for kids 8-

You may think I am crazy saying that kids 8- shouldn't see this but if you watch many episodes you will notice many "sexually concentrated" things they say. Yet this can be funny there are some rather "gruesome" scenes and or "violent for kids" scenes. Yet your kids may not understand the things they say some things are rather very obvious. I warn parents about letting kids watch this...
Adult Written byPolitical Pulpit April 9, 2008

Very appropriate

I think there is too much intellectualizing going on here. Young kids are not looking into the hidden messages that the adults imagine. Spongebob is a fun program for most age groups because it appeals on several different levels. I grew up with Bugs Bunny. When I watched Bugs in 1954, I did not catch the same messages I would if I watched it now as an adult. Spongebob is tame when compared to the old Popeyes and Bugs cartoons.
Adult Written bypunk_butters April 9, 2008

Yeah...

I persoanlly don't enjoy this show, but I just want to make a point to some of the parents. You are over reacting! You're rating it TV-14 & all, but c'mon. It's just an immature kiddy show. You're acting like it's worse than South Park. 'Oh! It has potty humor!' What show now days doesn't? You should have boundaries for your kids & all, but geeze, loosen up a little!
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

One of the AWESOMEST SHOWS EVER!!!

This show is sooooo awesome and funny I just don't understand why some parents won't let their kids watch it it is awesome and I know that some parents out there are concerned about the violence but really any time anyone gets hurt their back to normal in, like, two seconds the worst being when squidward gets seriously stung by a jelly fish and is in a full body cast for about half an episode or maybe when spongbob breaks his butt and man for the rest of the episode stays inside until (third worst) a gorilla comes and beats them up a bit until he rides away on his donkey. I know that makes the show sound kind of dumb, but it's really a good and funny show especially the one with smeety wurben jajer man jenson (if your a fan of SB you know what I'm talking about)All in all it is a great and funny show.
Teen, 16 years old Written byEntertaimentCritic88 November 26, 2013

Best show ever. That's an understatement.

Out of every awesome show out there, this is the BEST! SpongeBob and Patrick are the best buddy pairing EVER! I LOVE the animation. Best animation I've ever seen. The voice acting is solid, and I just love the music song. The theme song is so catchy and I love it. Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS! It never gets old. I'm getting tired of people hating the new episodes. The new episodes are AWESOME. If you hate the new episodes, I don't give a rat's a**! The new episodes are not as good as the old ones, but they are still hilarious.
Parent Written bySeaLearner September 28, 2013

Spongebob and Patrick Swears

Sailor Mouth is an episode that Spongebob and Patrick learns to say bad word
Parent of a 2 year old Written byMadison's Mommy July 18, 2013

Praying for cancellation

My daughter is only 2 and she has a half sister who is 7. I absolutely will not, under any circumstances let my 2 year old watch even a minute of this ridiculous show! It is so stupid! Not to mention whenever my step daughter watches she turns into a zombie and we cannot get her attention. So annoyed that this show is still on.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMega-Pixel May 20, 2013

This show is going downhill fast... And I mean FAST!!!

Now, I'm only 13, but I still would know what 'polite, mild amd friendly' humor was even if it were to hit me in the face to try and knock the memory out of me.. By a short explination of the show, it is basically a story about a sponge who works at an underwater resturant. He has a best friend who is a star fish named Patrick. Basicaly they do everything fun together. They go Jelly fishing and blow bubbles.They also have a neighbor who dispises them greatly while they interupt his calm life. This neighbor is a cranky squid named Squidward. Squidward is basically a fish who likes peacefull things like music, painting, watching television while sipping tea, etc, etc, etc. Spongebob made its dayview in 1999. After that, Spongebob became popular quickly, and I mean QUIKLY! Now I admit, I LOVED Spongebob before Nick killed it... I thought they had EXCELENT humor. I have to admit that! For instance, Patrick, he was HILARIOUS!!Thats when the Spongebob Squarepants movie came out on Nick and I was really excited. The movie was great! But after that, I noticed something was missing about Spongebob... I noticed it was barley funny.. And I noticed some odd things like gross humor and people are much more mean in the show... After watching an episode like that, I was like "That was only one epidode, I'm sure it would be more funnier and less random the next episode." Well guess what: It didn't I guess the producers found what was totally "in" right now, and started using rude and wierd humor. After that, Spongebob was going downhill fast as the title of this review entails. I rather watch PowerPuff Girls than this. Now the inaproprate things. The caracters go in nude when their pants get riped out somehow, they use rude humor and worst of all: Patrcick aint funny anymore :( The scary thing is that they did a study, and they found out that kids under the age of 7 (I think) become dumber... This show is basically the picture of todays generation. New Spongebob is TERRIBLE! Watch old Spongebob. They barley go into nude, they have appropriate humor, and citizens are really not any rude. Squidward was a little nicer back then but now? Yeeesh... Anyway thats the show. Parents, don't let your youngsters watch this. New Spongebob= NO!!, Old Spongebob= Appropriate.
Parent Written by2chiquitas September 5, 2011

no redeeming qualities

Kid, 12 years old March 25, 2011

Explicit

The old Spongebob was way better than the new, more animated ones. The older episodes simply had a pink-ish bump when a character gets stung by a jellyfish, but now the newer episodes are very explicit. There are now really gushy splinters, very detailed spoiled food, and of course, gooey muck that no kid wants to see. The animation is better, but there are tons of things that make children go "bleh!"
Adult Written byMjoyseeking February 25, 2011

Humor to hide just plain meanness.

It was originally made for MTV! It's sad how desensitized WE parents can be. Many kids feel unsafe due to lack of boundaries or guidance. I prefer the cartoons where the bad guy is the bad guy and evil is portrayed as evil. This show may have a mean guy which is a bad guy but it's not super obvious and is confusing. Especially to young kids. There is just so much more to learn and do in the world and spongebob is not my teacher of choice.
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2010

Pretty Good: 7/10

Well, I don't think it's perfect, because think about it, in a whole episode, they showed SpongeBob getting a splinter! It's so gross. And Patrick had to put garbage on it. So, don't watch it while your eating. And they make fun of the southern girl, Sandy, like "ain't nothin" and "y'all". But other than that, I think it's pretty darn good. Yet kids 5 and under, I don't think so.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bybabydol33 March 9, 2010

Stay away if you're young and/or impressionable

Not appropriate for children under 8 years old. Uses words like stupid, idiot, etc. There is constant disdain between the characters, and simple things like eating too much turn into the body actually blowing up into pieces, with a head attached to tubes by itself in the ambulance, and the legs in a big bowl.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywolfluv203 April 6, 2009

Awsome show!

You parents on here are wrong! It's perfectly fine! Kids have common sense you know! If your sooooo concernedm, just explain to your kids what is wrong and what is right.
Adult Written bydshumate April 9, 2008

educational and entertaining

Sponge it up

Spongebob rules!!!!!!I'm definetly gonna see the movie on opening day!!!
Adult Written bymhula1@aol.com April 9, 2008

A playful cartoon with some mature humor but is not inappropriate.

Spongebob Squarepants is a cartoon about a sea sponge that lives in an ocean city. There's some mature humor that's not inappropriate for any kids. If you ask about any violence there's the normal cartoon violence. But I asure you that adults themselves will love this show!
Adult Written bywilloton April 9, 2008

Very Humorous

Spongebob Squarpants is not educational but it's the funniest tv show meant for kids ever. I mean, there's some jokes not meant for babies, but nothing thats going to screw with someones behaviour.