All member reviews for SpongeBob SquarePants

Edgy, frenetic animated comedy is iffy for youngest kids.

Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Kid, 7 years old April 9, 2008

Awesomest show on planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say SpongeBob is good for 4+. SpongeBob is so AWESOME!!!
Adult Written byhomer2 April 9, 2008

a hilarious show.

this is one funny undersea comedy.
Adult Written byjabswife April 9, 2008

Salior Mouth

I could not believe that this show was rated for youth. In the episode Sailor Mouth, the whole episode being about swearing, the "Bad Word" that Sponge Bob learns is repeated through out the show, it was supposed to be beeped out but in the end, they did not beep it out to well and my son could tell what was being said. After this my child will not be allowed to watch this show. I do not recommend this show. I think that it should be taken off the air. It is pointless and lame.
Adult Written byjcarole April 9, 2008

Adult Written bycandaceandjadesmom09 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byrabbithilldays April 9, 2008

Not the best but generally humorous and in comparison - preferable

I let my kids watch SpongeBob by themselves. It generally presents a very positive message without the creepiness factor I see in so many of the shows they want to watch. There is an innocent quality that you don't see outside of PBS. On the negative side, there is a lot of imitative behavior. Apparently this show has a huge adult following, but I don't get it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGCluver123456789 April 9, 2008

Funny show-I love patrick!

Adult Written byForknose April 9, 2008

Another bad show

This show has an original character, but nothing original in the story. It is boring and not worth it. The only very good episode is the episode where Plankton sings about fun because it is funny. Back when I was little I watched real cartoons like Ren and Stimpy and Ninja Turtles. I turned into a good kid. I do very well in school, I am a pretty good person, I was elected best role-model of school in 6th grade. If kids act like SpongeBob then they are just exploring themself. I acted like a Ninja Turtle when I was 5 and I turned out pretty well, so if kids want to act like SpongeBob encourage them. Besides, would you want them acting like Bam Margera or Johnny Knoxville instead?
Adult Written byconcparent April 9, 2008

hilarious

This show is hilarious.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byshakesmcgillicutty April 9, 2008

Sponge Bob Square Pants is offensive

I've watched Sponge Bob several times and each time I'm more and more convinced that this cartoon is not something I want my child to watch, to emulate or to support by buying Sponge Bob merchandise. The characters in the cartoon are mean, gruff, rude and thoughtless. I hear so many people say, "But it's so funny!" Ok, for argument's sake, let's say this cartoon is funny. It's STILL a mean, gruff, rude and thoughtless cartoon, albeit it's arguably funny. There is so little moral fibre in this cartoon so, in my eyes, there is nothing redeeming about sponge bob and his cranky friends. This show is marketed at the 3-11 year old market. It is definitely not for kids under 8. I used to teach kindergarten and I know that children absolutely act out behaviors modeled to them by cartoons. They absolutely do. This show is not what I want my kiddos acting out.
Adult Written byMissLisa April 9, 2008

Younger children should NOT watch this

Although the backpacks and paraphanalia with Sponge Bob appears to target the younger child (under 5), this show is not appropriate for children under 9 or 10. It teaches children to hit when frustrated or when denied their way. It does not have a good moral message. It is a funny show for the older child or adult who can discern the humorous message. Unfortunately as a psychologist, I see too many children with aggressive behavior in school and at home and some of this behavior stems from them watching shows like Sponge Bob.
Adult Written byHuebel April 9, 2008

At Least They Didn't Make A Movie Out Of It

Oh god, they did. And it was twice as bad as the series (because it was twice as long).
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2008

best cartoon ever

spongebob movie carrtoon was the best movie carrtoon ever!! it is good for people 6-9.
Adult Written byAnAdult April 9, 2008

Well...

I noticed the reviews titled Negative Behaviors and Garbage. I partly agree and partly disagree. I agree with these if they are talking about the shows appearance to small children (ages 8 and under). I know many 3, 4, and 5 year olds who watch this show, but are brats. However, if your kid is above 8, let him watch the show. Stupid is not really an offensive word (in my opinion, but you gotta admit, most people will not be even slightly offended if you call them stupid.) Now if you dont let any kids above age 10 watch this show, you are way overprotective
Teen, 16 years old Written bymc2004 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byadultswim April 9, 2008

OK for Children

This show I find suitable for children but adults like me also enjoy this show. I think parents can safely let their children watch this show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byQueen2B87 April 9, 2008

Spongebob is a great cartoon and my most favorite sponge.
Adult Written byOlv4 April 9, 2008

I love SpongeBob!

I will admit it, I love SpongeBob. We are certainly not watching it for an education. We are, however, watching it for entertainment value. Of course we will discuss anything we find inappropriate or offensive. Let's face it, we were a generation raised on Looney Tunes. Somehow, the violence in SpongeBob doesn't come close.
Adult Written byBooBooMagoo April 9, 2008

Take it off the air!

I fail to find the humor in this show and the few times I have watched it (on the advice of other parents) I was absolutely appalled! The characters are mean, the language and behavior is not something I want my children to immitate, and I just find parts of it downright violent. It is marketed at children much too young to watch this show. I think that the parents that approve of this show don't realize that it is something that is more appropriate for them then their children. Take the remote and turn this show off!