All member reviews for SpongeBob SquarePants

Edgy, frenetic animated comedy is iffy for youngest kids.

Kid, 10 years old December 14, 2014

My First TV Show

This is the first TV show I have ever watched. Ever. The story is about this sponge named Spongebob Squarepants who lives underwater in a town called Bikini Bottom. In this town, he meets new friends, gets a job at a restaurant called the Krusty Krab, and goes to Boating School (where he has to get a driving, I mean boating license). It shows his misadventures with his friends and foes. It does show violence, such as characters ripping off skin and falling down cliffs. Some nudity is seen in the show and not covered up. It is a good show, though. Yet it earned its TV-Y7 rating. I recommend this TV show for ages 7 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy December 13, 2014

Awesome show

I'm 14, and I still watch this show. Its funny and great for kids of all ages
Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2014

VERY BAD

Not even good, don't let kids see. it was supposed to be a college show but then to many kids watched it and its a bad storyline and gives kids dumb ideas.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPrequelHater878 November 30, 2014

The show cannot be reviewed as a whole

This show cannot be looked at as one whole, it must be looked at in two parts, pre-movie episodes (1999-2004) and post-movie episodes (2005- now) The pre-movie episodes are amazing and very well written, they are very funny and still keep my 14 year-old self amused. The post-movie episodes are horrible, some flat out being dark. Some episodes are just simply badly-written while others are unwatchable. An example of an episode that is unwatchable is "The Splinter" an episode that makes me sick to my stomach. So in conclusion, show your kids any pre-movie episode, but I DO NOT THINK KIDS CAN WATCH ANY POST-MOVIE EPISODES not only because they are badly written, they have bad morals and gross-out humor kids shouldn't be exposed to. So if you want to show your kids Spongebob, show them a pre-movie episode (look on the guide to see if when the episode came out) TRUST ME. I would give pre-movie Spongebob 5 stars and the post-movie Spongebob 1 star.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymaggiesanch November 29, 2014

Edgy? Are you kidding me??

Most of my early childhood memories are of this show. It was always on in my house, and you know why? it was so, so, so good. the comedy was great for me, being age three or four, and there were jokes in there for my parents too. I'll agree that some of the jokes are a little kid-unfriendly, but I didn't understand them until I was about twelve. all the adult jokes are very subtle. to this day, Spongebob still makes me laugh out loud, and I can't understand why people don't allow their kids to watch it. it's funny, it's positive, and it helped me shape my sense of humor.
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 23, 2014

Average quality cartoon, but, can get a little silly.

I think Spongebob is just an average quality cartoon, but, it can get a little too silly at times. I just have a neutral opinion about this cartoon, I don't like it, but, I don't dislike it either. It's not as good as arthur, dinosaur train, worgirl, etc, but, not as bad as rugrats, beavis and butt-head, adventure time with finn and jake, etc.
Adult Written byEnglishRose221 November 19, 2014

Grew up on SpongeBob

I don't see how SpongeBob it could "mess up" a kid. I was a B average student all through high school, did not do drugs or get into trouble at all. Took many AP courses and was part of sports and music. I am now going to a nice University where I'm part of clubs, making friends and keeping my grades up. I do volunteer work on weekends and go to bible study every week. I'm also considering a major in English. But I watched SpongeBob, Tom and Jerry, Pinky and the Brain, Fairly OddParents, and the old cartoons all of these parents grew up on where the characters would hit each other over the head with hammers. Do you think there is anything wrong with me? because I think I'm just fine despite me watching all of these cartoons people consider inappropriate for kids. If it really bothers you then sit down with your child and watch an episode or two and if you feel your child is displaying inappropriate behavior due to this one cartoon (and not all having to do with the public school they may go to, or the other kids they hang out with, or the behavior of other people when you take them places) then fine, don't let your kids watch SpongeBob. But until you take the time to watch the show (unbiased mind you), you should not be banning it from your TV and telling other parents how bad it is.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams November 16, 2014

This has been, still is, and will always be my favorite show.

As a kid, I always had fun watching SpongeBob. I can safely say the same as a teen. This show has so many memorable moments too! In Chocolate with Nuts, the crazy chocolate guy is hilarious! Same goes for Patrick's "I love you". Also, Bank Geeks is just as memorable. Especially, the song at the end. Also, The Campfire Song Song is awesome! In Krabby Land, I loved it when SpongeBob called Mr. Krabs "Cheapy the Cheapskate". Oh, and let's not forget about Rock Bottom. That's the funniest episode ever. That's not it, the animation is bright and colorful. I also love the music. As for everyone whining about the new episodes, enough already! If you don't like them, don't watch them. Besides, the new episodes are good. Season 8 had some great episodes. InSPONGEiac and Sentimental Sponge to name a few. GO SPONGEBOB!!! P. S. Can't wait for the sequel to the movie!
Adult Written byerica921 November 16, 2014

iffy stuff

Even though this show is an iffy but its alright for little kids
Teen, 14 years old Written bybakeranimator November 2, 2014

Once one of the greatest animated series of all time, has now been demoted to a pile of rubbish.

(Just a quick note: Seasons 1-3 earn a 4-star ranking and are fine for ages 7 and up, and seasons 4-9 shouldn't be viewed by ages 11 and under at least and warrant a two star ranking at best. I just met a compromise in my age and star rankings) Spongebob Squarepants, the cartoon that marked an entire generation of cartoon lovers, jokes and references that still make us laugh to this day, and the most dedicated cartoon fan base in the world. At least, the first three seasons were. Yeah, after the movie, Steven Hillenburg left the show and took his creativity and common sense with him. That may have not have been so bad if it weren't for the fact that the WORST possible people took his place! You want names? Paul Tibbit, Tom Yasumi, Zeus Cervas, Casey Alexander, Doug Lawrence, Richard Pursell, and Derek Iversen. These people are the reason this once-beloved show is now just the same garbage Nickelodeon is scraping out of the waste bin and onto television! Considering seasons 1-3 and seasons 4-9 are basically two different shows, I will do two separate reviews on them. Let's start with seasons 1-3 shall we? POSITIVE ROLE MODELS/MESSAGES: You may not remember, but like Gravity Falls, this show was very good at placing surprisingly mature morals in the episodes! One episode teaches the importance of not procrastinating, one episode is a cautionary tale teaching to not give in to pressure, and overall, almost every episode was filled with those charming and memorable moments that are so hard to come by, but always worthwhile (see "Band Geeks" and "Christmas Who?") While all of the characters are flawed, some more than others, they usually either learn from their mistakes (see "Pressure"), or are rightfully punished (see "Pranks a Lot" and "Krabby Land"). VIOLENCE: Just your typical slapstick comedy, wouldn't worry about it. LANGUAGE: Some interjections are used "Barnacles!", "Fish Paste", "Tartar Sauce", etc. Also "loser", "stupid", etc. If you ban these words in your household and don't want to encourage them, I could understand why you'd want to keep this show off. CONSUMERISM: This show has built an 8 Billion Dollar franchise filled with toys, clothes, dvds, video games, coloring books, etc. Alright, that's about all for content, now let's move on to the technical aspects of the show! STORY: The series takes place in an underwater city called "Bikini Bottom" (no I don't know why they chose such a name, I never questioned it growing up though). In it live anthropomorphic sea creatures, among them are Spongebob Squarepants, a sea sponge who works as a fry cook at The Krusty Krab, Patrick Star, Spongebob's dimwitted best friend who often accompanies him on his adventures, Squidward Tentacles, Spongebob's grumpy neighbor/co-worker who has a passion for art and music, and many more. Spongebob has no set story arc, so you could really just watch any episode of the show and never feel uninformed. The world this cartoon has created is boasting with such creativity, for example, one of Spongebob's hobbies is "jellyfishing". This is running about trying to catch jellyfish in a net, then setting them free, just as a child would run around catching butterflies in a butterfly net. This show is filled with wonderful examples like that, taking concepts people can relate to, then putting a creative spin on it, there are countless other examples of this, you'd just have to watch the show to see them all. CHARACTERS: The characters are so well developed in this show, they each have their own appearance, interests, skill level, traits and peronality any good character should have, and the creators were very good at balancing the characters personalities out so they never seemed unlikable: Spongebob may be childish and naive, and even a bit annoying, he still has a good heart and very optimistic. Patrick may be a dimwit, but he provides excellent comic relief and never means any harm. Squidward may be a grump, but he's not evil. He's just that neighbor who wants to be left alone, and hey even he does noble things sometimes (see Christmas Who?), Mr. Krabs may be greedy, but he is understanding and cares for his employees. Even if he does go too far, he will usually get a proper punishment (for example, in one episode, he cons children out of their money, and that money is then taken from him, and he is forced to eat... lima beans? It makes more sense in the context of the episode). ANIMATION: While the show began with the typical Klasky-Csupo fare, the creative team constantly improved their visuals. For example, beginning in season 2, the show switched to digital cels as apposed to hand-drawn, allowing for cleaner animation, and more complex designs. HUMOR: The shows humor is always well-timed, allowing for the most effective reaction out of a joke, no matter how dumb it is. The show also used a lot of variety to their jokes, whether it be slapstick, anti-humor, puns, humorous remarks, running gags, or, my personal favorite, cartoon logic jokes. These are kind of hard to explain, but an example of on would be having a fire going and someone says "Hey, if we're underwater how can their be a-" and the fire goes out. Okay, that's enough of that. Be prepared because we're about to tread into dark territory: Seasons 4-9. POSITIVE MESSAGES/ROLE MODELS: Terrible, terrible morals for children, one episode teaches that "crying solves your problems" (no really, they literally stated in the episode that that was the moral), another glorifies unemployment, making it seem like a great experience, and, in one of the worst episodes of the series, a character is psychologically tormented to the point of attempting suicide... I"M NOT JOKING!!! It's even portrayed horrifyingly realistically, too! VIOLENCE: Very disturbing imagery and topics in some episodes (see "A Pal for Gary" and "One Coarse Meal" "The Splinter" or any episode Zeus Cervas and Richard Persell worked on) Not for children in the slightest. LANGUAGE: Same as before, but only much more mean-spirited. CONSUMERISM: Same as before, only there's no quality prouct that inspires the merchandise. STORY: What story? Seriously, the writers are terrible! They abandon logic and common sense to the point where it's grating! They tear apart once beloved characters! The plots are boasted with filler! They throw in disturbing content for no reason! The writers are completely incompetent! ANIMATION: If there's one good thing I can say about modern Spongebob, it's the animation, but that does far from save it from being an atrocious piece of garbage! CHARACTERS: Remember when I said Spongebob characters had defined personalities, well they have been completely ripped apart! Now Spongebob is a stalker with varying traits instead of defined ones. Patrick has been implied to have some knowledge to his stupidity, and continues to use it as an excuse to be a jerk and a danger to everyone around him! Don't believe me? Watch "The Card". Squidward is nothing but a mere victim to the behavior of our protagonists, and is usually only used as a punching bag for the plot. Yet even he manages to be unlikeable! See "Little Yellow Book". Mr. Krabs is greedy, selfish, heartless, lacks a morality, abusive, hateful, sadistic, and now he apparently drives people to commit suicide. HUMOR: What humor? No, really! I might (and boy am I using that term loosely) be able to forgive modern Spongebob's flaws if it were the slightest bit funny. Unfortunately, the writers seem to mistake horrible puns, using characters as punching bags for the plot, and being blind to the blatantly obvious for comedy. What a shame. If you're looking for quality content, stick the seasons 1-3. If you have no tastes, or go by the "it's just for kid's" philosophy, you can stick to new spongebob, but let me tell you, it is not for me!
Kid, 10 years old November 2, 2014

Its good

it used to be on of my worst tv shows of all time until the 7D came along to join the party
Adult Written byCocktailSquid October 19, 2014

Harmless fun

I think that people are really judging this too harshly. There is cartoon violence in the same way there is in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons (less, since there are no guns). It's not really going to teach your children much. I guess, there are themes on friendship and making up with friends if you break up; but mainly it is just a silly cartoon for children. If your child is as impressionable as some of the reviewers' children (directly mimicking something that was on TV, just because it was funny) then it's probably not for you. Otherwise, I don't see what is wrong with it. Cartoon violence, ridiculous situations, goofy shenanigans, etc. If I had to pick out something bad, it does promote fast food consumption (since the main characters works for a fast food restaurant); but it promotes it less than the commercials you'll see on any of the cartoon channels. Any of the "vices" shown (Mr. Krabs' moneygrubbing, Patrick's laziness, etc.) are always shown to be stupid and comical. I am only reviewing the series that came out until the movie (not the movie either), since that (in my opinion) was the best part of the series. After that, it did rely a lot on "potty humor" that was uncharacteristic. Everything from the movie forward can be disregarded for better programming. PS There was a kid who saved someone after seeing CPR performed on "Spongebob". That doesn't have an review impact. I just thought it was cool.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life October 16, 2014

My Review on "SpongeBob SquarePants"

Parents need to know that this cartoon may be targeted at children, but there are many hidden crude and sexual jokes/references in the series. In one episode, Spongebob tells Gary, "Look Gary, doubloons, don't drop em", which is referring to prison rape. Spongebob used to be squeaky clean from 1999-2009, but then it started to get a little more gross, slapstick, and crude. 2010+ are pretty much made up of gross, crude, and slapstick humor. 8+
Teen, 16 years old Written byAvengingSon98 October 15, 2014

Teen, 16 years old Written byBobfan674 October 11, 2014

SpongeBob is funny and amazing for all ages

SpongeBob is great at Old and New Seasons and its funny for everybody to watch
Teen, 15 years old Written byWRESTLING246 October 1, 2014

Great for all ages

SpongeBob is a fantastic show for kids, teenagers and adults, every session is great my 3 favorite characters are SpongeBob, Patrick and Gary, The Animation is cool, The acting is great, The theme song is fantastic and SpongeBob SquarePants is a classic show for all ages
Teen, 13 years old Written byABCand123 September 29, 2014

SpongeBob

I thank it sucks
Teen, 13 years old Written byHulaQueen September 8, 2014

Wrong!!!!

SpongeBob was a great show in the early 2000's. But now it's just plain wrong. SpongeBob was funny at first, but now it's corny and dumb. I think it has a negative messages also. For example, there was an episode where Ms. Puff (SpongeBob's teacher) was trying to kill spongebob. Also, I think it's wrong how they how Mr.Krabs is so cheap. He will practically do anything for money. It's ashame. This show is plain inappropriate and corny! Don't watch it!