All member reviews for SpongeBob SquarePants

Edgy, frenetic animated comedy is iffy for youngest kids.

Parent of a 4 year old Written bySarahS January 8, 2010

Gross, full of inappropriate behaviors. There is nothing positive about this show. It favors questionable language choices, violent conduct and vulgar ways.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 November 28, 2010

Old Episodes Were Great, Now...Not So Much.

I LOVED Spongebob back in the late 90s early 2000s. The episodes were clever and funny. Now it's just overly used gross humor and slapstick. A little slapstick and gross humor is fine, but this is too much. This show was at its high point in 2003, I recommend you go watch those episodes. Pretty much any episode of this show from 2006 on (with the exception of the one where Squidward becomes handsome) is terrible.
Parent Written bykristinamiracle April 5, 2009

Seriously????

Spongebob is a show thats fine for anyone to watch. If your worried about the type of humor or the language or brutality sorry to bring you to reality but your kids are gonna hear it alot of places other then tv. Ive heard worse things said in school. We have teachers and pastors molesting kids other kids fighting with other kids and kids seeing things thier parents do that u dont think they see and your worried about a cartoon?? Thats ridiculous not to mention from experience I know the more you shelter your kids when their younger the more they are going to be curious and rebel later. Its a cartoon if they like it and it makes them laugh let them watch it if they do something because of it then explain to them whats right and wrong were their parents thats what were here for. I dont rely on a cartoon to teach my kids right and wrong and if you do then u are one lazy parent.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byGI-ANT MOM April 10, 2010

Godd for kids of any age! Positive lessons in the end!

I have watched nearly every episode with my children and have found a prominent, positive message in nearly all of them. I would suspect parents who have not really sat with their children to watch might hear bits and peices and pass judgement, but if you see it through and actually take the time to sit with your children to explain things they might be unsure of, it is a perfect opportunity to talk with them heart to heart about real issues that they are or will deal with...Reality!Parents the real world is not like "Leave it to Beaver" and this show helps kids realize that bad things can happen including name calling and fighting etc. and that there are ways to deal with it. my sons have learned many positive words and lessons well beyond his years. Pay attention and you will see... compared to many other shows it is one of the best!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byJoeyBroey177 August 15, 2010

Any age

Not violent at all.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byHaidensMommy01 September 30, 2009

Spongebob isnt appropriate for the young audience it appeals to.

Ive seen numerous butt's in this cartoon and although it is funny it isnt for my 2 year old daughter who wants to watch spongebob because her older cousin does. I also watched the movie which shows spongebob in the shower with squidward and then they get "drunk" off ice cream and spongebob wakes up with a hangover and is late for work. These are not messages i want to send to my child. Also at one point Patrick asks the mermaid if she has seen his underwear to which she replys no and he says Do you want to? ... things like this may be over my 2 year olds head but not my 8 year old cousin who is laughing and then repeating it. I dont think spongebob is appropriate for children under the age of 14.
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2010

A Classic!

I've watched this show all my life, and its really good. It is MUCH better than new shows, like Fanboy and Chum Chum.
Adult Written bysadiesmom December 22, 2009

Spoungebob is a great cartoon! All 3 of my kids- ages 4,6, ans 8 love this show! I enjoy watching it myself. It is a positive, happy, educational cartoon and it brings everyones spirits up. Spoungebob also has alot of comedy that keeps my kids laughing through the entire episode. I only wish they would have more air time for this cartoon! I highly recommend it.
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byMeredithR July 12, 2010

Junk food for the mind

Sponge Bob is like junk food for the mind. Of all the wonderful kids programming out there, we just don't waste our time on shows our daughter won't get anything positive out of. The characters don't treat their friends well - we teach our kids to respect other people, which includes not hitting their friends. But Sponge Bob does it, so why not? And I really don't want my kids calling their buddies "idiot" or "stupid", or generally acting rude. The last straw for me was when my 3.5 year old spit at me and later spit on her brother. She later told me that Patrick did it and it was funny. Great role model! There are much better shows out there, people!
Parent of a 10 and 17 year old Written byAngelos Tsiaklis December 12, 2013

Seriously...?

What is wrong with you people!! Spongebob is a cartoon, which means that things that occur in the show are not real. simple as that. If your child doesn't understand reality from fantasy maybe instead of ranting of how horrible the show is, sit down with the kid and explain it. You can't censor the world. Sooner or later your child is going to grow up, and trust me if you don't slowly expose your child to everyday things that you cant avoid, you will do more harm than good.
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2010

Old episodes are the best, new ones have lost their touch

I grew up with Spongebob and everyone in my family loves it. I like the older ones since they are more mature and funnier humor unlike the newer ones that aren't really that funny and are sometimes really gross.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg September 29, 2009

Funny for the whole family

We absolutely adore this show! It's the only cartoon on tv that our whole family can sit down and enjoy together. It's funny, and fortunately my daughter knows that "stupid" and other such words that are used in the show are not words that are OK for her to use. I love that Spongebob has such a good heart and is too innocent and trusting to think that anyone would be out to do him harm. My favorite example of this is when Mr Krabs tries to insult Spongebob by saying a hat he's wearing makes him look like a girl. Spongebob's response was a huge, eye batting grin and says "am I a PRETTY girl?" Hilarious!
Kid, 11 years old November 16, 2012

WHAT IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT!

Everyone is saying that you can't learn from it ,that I don't want my kids trying this stuff,and it rots your brain. First, it's a cartoon, you're not spost to learn your spost to laugh and spongebob is a show to LAUGH at. SECOND,if your kids are trying this than you need to have a serious talk with them. Last, a cartoon like this can't lower there IQ or ruin there life or teach them to fail all your test it's just a CARTOON, C A R T O ON , CARTOON!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written byfather of a 5yr old February 24, 2011

concerned and not laughing

Although my wife lets my son watch this show and i often find myself watching it with him to explain the wrongs in the show and often turning it off or changing the channel...we must remind ourselves as parents that it is nothing but crude commercialized entertainment and that's it! it on rarities may show how to tie shoes or something the parent needs to teach themselves to the child but other then that its just silly waste of time... there's are things so many things wrong with the charecters to many to list . there's some really disturbing acts that spongebob does that aren't appropriate that send chills when i see the little yellow guy pull off his face to show his brain, his beating heart or pulls out his vein covered eyes and the list goes on and on... the network displays it as Y but before the show it displays Y7 but these are both wrong.. the commercials following the show are disturbing as well . and sends a negative play in my child's view... if you have to explain to a child that its just a cartoon that you cant really pull or cut off your arms with out hurting yourself that its not a show that a child should be watching! It just isn't funny. certainly not to have a Y or a Y7 rating sorry nick but looks like PBS is the better friend to my boy.even though i stand alone here its me against a changing world where things of this nature are widely being accepted. two wrongs just don't make it right...whats next? family guy for our kids? why not its on 24/7 and its funny ...right?
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byBurt Mom August 18, 2009

Not for Toddlers

My daughter came home from daycare saying that if you eat a bee you'll die because they put a bee in a krabby patty and fed it to someone and they died. After some research I've decided she probably saw the "Nasty Patty" episode where they feed the health inspector a krabby patty which has toe nail clippings, has been dropped in the toilet and cleaned with a dirty sock and a fly happens to get in his mouth and he chokes on it. While the inspector is choking they are saying "Watch him suffer". They then decide to bury the body so they don't go to jail. Now granted, the inspector isn't really dead, just unconscious, but this is NOT something I want my 4 year old watching for entertainment. I have not seen the episode personally (nor do I intend to), but it sounds AWFUL (I read the entire transcript) and inappropriate for younger children. It's more than just explaining to a child not to use certain language the characters use. I certainly should not be in a position where I'm telling my 4 year old that she should be burying a body in the yard or feeding gross and nasty things to people!
Parent Written bydjogoku June 19, 2011

Not educational! Just something to shake your head and laugh at. Maybe ok for teens but NOT for younger kids, toddlers and babies

It's not the worst show out there but it's definitely not something you want to put in front of your newborn or toddler. The first 5 years of a kids life should be filled with things that will shape their lives in a positive way. Spongebob is just something to watch when you want to laugh regardless of the fact that the subject matter may be inappropriate for kids.
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2010

should not be for kids

some sexy stuff not for little kids and nakedness and the new season is not appropiate for kids not a funny show anymore
Kid, 10 years old July 13, 2010

Wonderful show for kids who like to have fun.

To all you parents who think SpongeBob isn't a good role model for your children,your just making your kids suffer.SpongeBob is a fun-loving character,and if you can't handle that,something is definitely wrong with you. Don't you want your kids to have fun and live life freely? EXACTLY!!! So SpongeBob is a very good cartoon to watch,and it always will be. But,I do have some concerns about the new episodes. Ever since the movie was aired,the episodes have gotten a little haywire. Some injuries can be grossening to little ones. "Dumb" and "Stupid" are said in the show,and my little brother says it all the time now. So,overall,SpongeBob is wonderful,but try to be careful with the newest episodes.
Adult Written bycozens4791 June 2, 2012

Which Spongebob Are We Talking About? Spongebob 90's or Spongebob Now?

I have a love and hate relationship with this show. SpongeBob is one the most popular shows in the world but does popular mean good? He's a cute little sponge who is a fry cook and has a colorful bunch of friends. However, the recent episodes (I'm talking 2005 up) are really obnoxious. The stories seem more bland and repetitive. The dialogue seems dumb down and every frame seems to be on sugar rush its way too fast. I would rate this show more on a obnoxious level than anything and what your child takes from the show. If your child is already bouncing off the walls I would stray from this or nick in general, PBS is always a fine choice! If you child has to watch Sponge bob I HIGHLY recommend seasons 1 and 2 with the show. Its slower, its witty, and you can watch it your kid and maybe share a laugh instead of pulling out your hair with the recent episodes. The quality of the show has declined over the years and I am basing my rating (4 stars) entirely on the first two seasons. Final thought:fine for a Saturday morning but not all the time.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKnowWhatGood March 31, 2011

Spongebob=KIDS BEING HURTFUL

This show was good for when it started, but not NOW! The plots are silly, the characters are as dumb as doorknobs and it's just plain BORING. Kids shouldn't be repeating this stuff and it is just wrong. It's not even right for kids ages 7 and up! Kids that age don't even understand that material.