All parent member reviews for Star Trek: The Next Generation

Parent of a 9 year old Written byCBeth May 23, 2010

The Best TV Show Ever!

This is the best TV series ever made. Adventure, good role models, good morals, interesting characters, a vision of the future as a better place with loftier goals for humans -- exploration, interest in and appreciation of the new and different, the opposite of xenophobia. It is great for children and adults (only caution is that there is some violence -- battles, and also sometimes death so parents should consider this when determining what is appropriate for their own children). Enjoy!
Educator and Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byKimberly B September 25, 2009

Our family (kids ages 8 and 9) has watched the entire series and are now watching Voyager. This is a wonderful show for opening family discussion: prejudice, sexism, addiction..it's all there! I believe this series is more appropriate for young kids than the original because it has very little insidious sexism- the mini skirts of the original ST seem very sexist to me, as does Kirk's constant womanizing. There are more strong female characters here and they are not prancing around in go-go boots!
Adult Written byTheoTao February 20, 2010

Ethics, Responsibility, and Peaceful Co-Existence

I grew up watching TNG, and in my late 20's I find myself going back just for the philosophy and clean entertainment. The show helped me to be more ethical, analytical, and accepting towards other beings. I felt that it was highly beneficial for my growth (especially as a young male), and emphasised morality and responsibility, without the overemphasis of militarism and blind obedience to authority. Overall, I highly recommend this series to viewers of all ages, and especially for children whose parents are looking for a healthy alternative to the modern garbage on the tv today. It is intellectually gratifying, and promotes a future society in which humanity's greatest traits are exalted, and a peaceful galactic existence is possible. (On a personal note, if governments on this planet today behaved more like the Federation, we would definitely be living in a more just, holistic, and harmonious society.)
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byRunesong February 22, 2013

Fun & thought provoking adventure for the whole family

Good, clean fun with thought provoking scenarios that are still relevant today. This show is packed with believable characters & cultures as well as educational value (scientific, social, political, etc.). There are a few rare episodes about adult relationships that may be too intimate/intense for younger veiwers. There are many celebrations that involve drinking, but it is often pointed out that the ship's replicators only make "synthahol" versions of traditionally alcoholic drinks. There is relatively little actual violence in most episodes, although characters from more warlike races are often shown persuing appropriate alternatives, like "holodeck" exercises or martial arts style classes. Characters often demonstrate excellent leadership, conflict resolution, & diplomacy skills, just as most "advanced" cultures are shown to value peace & cultural exchange. Honesty, integrity, & friendships are highly prized & the android, Data, provides an indepth look at what it means to be human & often studies specific human qualities, traits, & behaviors in a humorous but enlightening way.
Parent Written byairdriesg February 7, 2015

THERE IS SEX

I really think this rating should be changed, because even though it doesn't SHOW the sex, it is there and sometimes strongly implied. In ep 2 of season 1, Tasha Yar asks Data if sexually fully functional and then they have sex. (there are many more incidents, including Riker with a lady that drops her dress at one point). Obviously you decide what is appropriate for your kiddo, but the fact that the initial rating says there is NO sexual content is just WRONG.
Educator Written bybugmenot June 1, 2014

Not Reading Rainbow, but not Rambo

This show always has a taut storyline, great crew on the ship, but sometimes people die and sometimes there is war and conflict between factions, as well as kidnappings. Troi's outfit is rather sexual. Sometimes there are romantic interactions and alluding to sex, including an obvious sexual component to the romance between Troi and Worf and Troi's sexualization when under a "spell" of sorts. This show is said to have a good amount of drinking/drugs/smoking, but I don't see any of it being of a bad influence and if I can't remember there being much of it, I doubt a child would care. Some of the terminology can be complicated and the storylines, as well, which makes me put this at 12 being the cutoff age.
Parent Written bysonsmama April 12, 2014

LEARNING

Common Sense Media review does miss a few things

Common Sense says no language issues, but that's not true. "Damn" and "ass" are used. That's not so bad, but just so everyone knows. Also, a bit of sexy stuff does occur - suggestive banter and walking to a bed for example. (Edited to add later: We kept watching episodes until we got to one that explored Lt. Yar's background. She was shown running and hiding from rape gangs on her planet. I've since decided that this show is not appropriate for my 9 y.o., although he loves it.) I just started watching with my 9-yr old based on the rating from Common Sense, but I wish I had been prepared for the issues above. Other than that, it's a fantastic show and I hope my son will like it as much as I do.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byskookum November 17, 2013

Teen-agers and adults will love this, little ones its too much.

A great series that demonstrates good qualities such as equality, empathy, multiculturalism, team work and self growth. The format is a bit dated but the stories are still very good. Some of the stories can be a bit scary for young ones. In the first 10 minutes of episode one a ship's crew is found dead. The visual of this is too much for younger eyes. Later on the characters encounter a virtually unstoppable race that kills nearly every human it encounters.
Parent of an infant year old Written byClassicEducationMama August 11, 2013

We love Star Trek Next Generation!

I am currently watching through the entire series of Star Trek Next Generation. I am impressed with the positive role models the main crew characters provide. There is some violence (with death) but nothing gory. I would suggest 13 and up for full appreciation. There are some episodes that are scary. Really fun show.
Parent Written byekoolkgb1 August 2, 2013

It's All GOOD

It's OK for family!
Adult Written byjillianlovescats November 25, 2010

Go Patrick Stewart!

Star Trek: The Next Generation is good for teens and adults! Lots of Re-runs!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byPNWHockeyFan October 6, 2010

Very good Sci-Fi show teaching about respecting other people no matter what they look like, and working together.
Adult Written byKormek April 9, 2008

A Great Show

I have been a Star Trek fan since I was a kid and The Next Generation started me out and then I moved to the Original Series my siblings watched when they were kids. It's a great watch for anyone who loves sci-fi and space.