All member reviews for Star Trek: The Original Series

A cultural icon that's lived long and prospered.

Parent Written byStefanLasiewski January 6, 2014

Great, but watch out for male and female sexual stereotypes

I started watching this with my 9 year old son. The series is very entertaining for him and me and we will continue to watch it. I appreciate that the series was progressive for the era, but this show reminds me how far we've progressed since then. I forgot that the series isn't all about spaceships, exploration and aliens, and *whoa* I wasn't quite prepared for some of the content. I don't have a problem with my children watching positive (but age appropriate) sexual role models, which in my mind means people hugging, kissing, a little passion and treating each other with respect and acting maturely. However, Star Trek is almost comical in it's 1967 view of woman as sexual creatures. Watch out for the outdated sexual stereotypes-- all women wear sexy miniskirts, and two out of three of the main woman characters are assistants to men and often do little except stand there and look attentive, such as Yeoman Rand nor Nurse Chapel. Uhura's shapely legs are often framed quite conspicuously and wow are those skirts short. We're only on episode 8, and I've already had to pause and talk about the sexual allure presented in "Mudd's Women", Charlie slapping a woman's rear and the almost-rape scene in "Charlie X", and in "The Naked Time" why does Yeoman Rand need a man's help (Spock) to get past the drunk man into the elevator when I'm sure she's strong enough to figure it out on her own, etc. These topics are presented in an innocent and light way, as was appropriate for television in 1967. But I had to pause the show a couple of times and comment about why those things were wrong and 'outdated'. And I'll tough briefly on the male stereotypes: men must always present a strong, tough face to the outside world. Forget your true emotions, let's fix this with a fist fight! While the women seem lose their heads too often, men are always able to be strong and quick and can fix any problem. Clearly each episode tells us a moral story, but the moral may not be understood by some children. Other then that, we've seen about 5 corpses. I guess it's okay for a 9 year old to see that, and he's seen worse elsewhere, and I can't shelter my kids forever, but I'm not sure I feel good about that.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 23, 2009

An Engaging Show with Outdated Effects but Role Models to Die For...

STAR TREK is a perfect TV series. It is engaging, action-packed (though not too action-oriented for kids), and it's brimming with positive messages and role models. In fact, aside from some laser rays, tense images, and infrequent mild language ("d**n it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!"), the show has nothing wrong with it. Characters are kind and tolerant of each other, and courage, bravery, sacrifice, and kindness are recurring themes of the show that always take center stage from the sci-fi fights. Highly recommended.
Kid, 10 years old January 16, 2011

The series that keeps on going where no man has gone before

A perfect tv show that ocassionally features things of a scary or sexual nature but people around 8 - 9 should be able to deal with it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bythefinalfrontier1701 October 25, 2010

Great sci-fi with minimal violence and language.

This show is great for families and MUCH less violent than Star Wars. TOS is also the least violent in the Star Trek timeline. There is minimal blood (e.g. Episode 50, Patterns of Force and when Kirk fights the Orion in Journey to Babel.) and Kirk says, "Let's get the h-BEEP out of here in The City on the Edge of Forever. All in all, a great series that has very little concern.
Parent Written byCooldee April 21, 2010

For ages 11 and up, but please beware of younger children watching this show-it can scare them!

Please beware of the violence, even though blood is not shown, and the messages that are given are the following: Respect, duty, loyality, and friendship. I love this show!
Adult Written byrockmonster January 23, 2010

living breathing show

only violent for kids under 8, but frequent semi-sexual themes that require discretion... the pilot just creeped me out in that area ... but an amazingly brilliant show. watch it. you'll be hookkkkkked. \\// live long and prosper :)
Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2010

THIS IS THE BEST TV SHOW EVER!!!

I have just started watching Star Trek, and I think that this is the best show that I've ever watched in my life! It's got good role models, and positive messages. (Though Kirk does kiss the girls too much!) Favorite line of all time: "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an engineer!"
Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 29, 2009

Best show ever made

What made "Star Trek" so special was the heart and message behind the special effects. This is different from other space shows, who only care about flash and style. Star Trek has fantastic characters who care about each other, and who the audience cares for as well. Totally recommended. I started watching it when I was 4 years old and haven't stopped since!!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bygcgee@msn.com April 27, 2009

A great show for kids

I understand the rating of 8+, but for our kids, 4 and 6, there is no better show. (The goofy special effects on some level negate the possibility of it really being too scary.) We like the show's positive messages, the questions the plots inspire, the friendship of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, and the interest the kids are now showing in science. For kids, what's better than good stories involving spaceships, guys in monster suits, bright colors, and styrofoam rocks? Ultimately, Star Trek TOS is just plain fun and so well done, despite its budgetary limits. Have fun!
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2015

kid,age 11 (star trek)

AWWWWWWSOME! BEST TV SHOW EVERE MADE! i love this show so much even though in a lot of the eposieds some one always gets killed or gets hurt. it has some sex and some drinking and some violence too but if i had to rate this i would rate it 100 out of 10.my favorite eposieds are the apple,the way to eden,spocks brain,the enterprise incedent,and mirror mirror my favorite qute is "live long and prosper"
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 15 year old Written byImportantParent January 9, 2014

trek

Captian Kirk is a flirty, but he is also a hero. So if you're kid saqys "Kirk is me" good. Spock is pretty cool. McOCoy si cool b ut he teacjes kid s drinking is not baDDI. Scotty is the best, though. My daughter is so obsessed with Scotty, and she doesen't even know what gthe sjow is! BOLDLY WATCH YOUR KIDS AS THE Y WATCH STAR TREK
Kid, 10 years old December 14, 2012

The best TV show ever!

Star Trek is amazing. But only if you have the right personality. Star Trek bores some people, but others enjoy it. I personally think it's the best TV show ever. But, you must have a high tolerance for romance, as demonstrated by Captain James T. Kirk. Also, if you are expecting a show full of space-wars, Star Trek is not for you. Try Star Wars instead. Star Trek is more of a science fiction show for alien observation, not for space wars. Overall, Star Trek is an amazing show.
Kid, 11 years old October 2, 2012

Interesting, science-oriented adventure series for the family.

It's ok for older kids. I don't think that young kids understand the series, because there are lots of scientific words and things. But it's ok for kids at age 10 and up. The violence in the series is very rare and bloodless, sexuality is rare. I love the series!
Teen, 13 years old Written byOmiwako April 6, 2010

The Best There Is.

Need I say more, really? It's STAR TREK. You can't get any better than that! LL&P, Kiddes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspaceexploration November 11, 2014

Awesomenesssssssss!

This is my favorite TV show of all time! I would say any person could watch it, but my 6 year old brother gets scared of the music. The violence is not graphic at all, but Kirk often "loses" his shirt. There is some drinking (mostly Scottie). Also McCoy says damn it and hell a lot. Kirk tries to "get close" to the ladies. All in all, Star Trek is the best TV show I ever saw!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byA common teen November 25, 2013

Worst series since Star Wars

Don't waste your time on these movies.
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2013

Star Trek

Star Trek is so so. some parts are a little boring.
Kid, 6 years old October 18, 2012

piece of rash

very horny show
Teen, 13 years old Written bysammy4488 January 16, 2012

can't get better than this!

I love Star Trek! I've watched the whole series like a thousand times over! My favorite characters are Spook and Bones. When the fight with each other it's even more funny cause Bones can never get a reaction out of Spook and Spook always has snappy come backs. The crew is like a family and is always there for each other. It can get a bit violent at times so if your kids get nightmares easy don't watch it! Best show ever next to the Big Valley! You'll get addicted!
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011

Perfect for tweens, teens and adults

Young children may be frightend by the aliens and also there is some sexual content. Overall a very safe and entertaining programme.