All member reviews for Stargate Universe

Compelling Stargate spin-off has a bit more edge.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySilence March 29, 2013

Awesome

I love stargate universe. Stargate universe is different than most sci-fi movies/series, I can understand most of the sci-fi in the tv series and I can feel apart of the story. There are episodes that I find however is not suitable for younger kids, for it contains violence, sex scenes and some language. It is however one of the best tv series I have ever seen.
Adult Written byParhelion January 14, 2011

Dark, brooding, sexual, and sexist

Those who were avid followers of the first two Stargate series may be shocked when checking out Stargate: Universe. Where SG1 and Atlantis are marked by heavy, almost slapstick humor and light innuendo, Universe opens up with a racy sex scene 10 minutes into the pilot with all the sweating and grunting one can imagine. A few episodes within the first season open up with similar scenes, and the placement of the sex is (in my opinion) gratuitous -- it plays no part what-so-ever in most of the story arcs and does not contribute to character development. The characters are dark but cliched in that they tend to be remarkable for only one or two personality features. Well into the second season, there are no strong female roles -- merely drama-spewing side-characters who appear to have originally been added in for sex appeal only. The drama has a Battlestar Galactica feel to it.
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byDrowlord October 6, 2010

Dark stories tend to revolve around characters with ulterior motives, characters generally refuse to work cooperatively and are openly defiant of leaders, numerous gratuitous sex scenes, majority of "crew" are a semi-faceless mob that is useless and disenfranchised. While this is an interesting show for adults, it really doesn't have anything positive to offer children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLizzybeth May 12, 2010

At first I only watched this show because I loved the other 2 Stargates, and I wanted to catch up to the latest episode so that I could watch it with my brother. The episode "time" was absolutely amazing, and most of the latter half of its first season was wonderful. It is a completely different show from SG-1 or atlantis, but I have learned to love it anyway. My only concerns are that there are no truly good role models, except for maybe Eli, but everyone else also has plenty of good moments that almost make up for their bad ones; and Lt. Scott is seen multiple times in bed with Chloe every other episode. In the pilot he also is seen having sex while on duty, with another officer who is also on duty; they are interrupted when the base comes under attack. Next thing you know he ditches her for chloe, leaving her heartbroken and still confused. It is implied that Col. Young cheated on his wife, he wants to get back together with her, but later finds evidence that she has also been cheating on him. Despite these things I still love this show, and very much anticipate every episode. It is much darker than the other two- exploring questions of ethics and morality, military leadership vs. civilian leadership, etc. so I think mature viewers will get more out of it. Anyway: Stargate rocks!
Adult Written bystargategeek April 29, 2010

Parent of a 5, 10, and 13 year old Written byOcelot December 8, 2009

grab the kids and Dial it up !

Fun for the whole family. Great messages to be found in every episode so far Yes there is some sexed up scenes but really its nothing compared to what i see driving to work each day with todays modern advertising. watch for the messages, the "sexy" scenes only takes up 0.1% of all air time
Parent of a 5 year old Written bykg6zgj November 22, 2009

NO GO

Way too much Sexual Content! Science is Awesome till it gets sexifiyed
Adult Written bycritique November 3, 2009

Great, Stargate phenomenon lives on in this

Love it. To the producers, writers, keep the ever growing J.J. Abrams style of story telling coming as ABC's LOST series has done to keep us coming back for more.
Adult Written bycooljax25 November 2, 2009

not so good

This show should be canceled not for kids
Parent of a 4, 8, and 11 year old Written byJaneA October 4, 2009

Too explicit for younger than 15-16 year-olds.

While I love all things Stargate, there's no way my son will see this show when he is twelve! In the very first episode, two characters are going at it against a wall when one of the character's gets called back to duty. That's not suggestive--that's explicit. Yes, they were clothed, but it's obvious what they were doing. One character zipped up as he answered the call.