Quirky cartoon values family, fun, and finding your purpose.

Adult Written byemilylynng January 13, 2015

Everything you should ACTUALLY know about Steven Universe, okay?

I was so blown away by how bad the top review for this show was so I made an account: Hello, My name is Emily, I'm not a soccer mom, and here's everything you should know about Steven Universe that most moms wouldn't find in a Common Sense Media review: Steven Universe is the first cartoon on Cartoon Network to be written by a woman. Anyone who is saying the show perpetuates race or gender stereotypes either a. Hasn't watched the show or b. "watched it" by having it on in the background while cooking hamburgerhelper and isn't paying attention. The series is about a band of mystical interstellar fighters, The Crystal Gems, and young Steven, a half-Gem by his late mother, fighting monsters while Steven grows into himself and learns more about himself, his mother, and his destiny. All of the physically strong characters in this show self-identify as female. They are NOT, however, women-they are gems. They are not human. They take on a physical form of their choice. There is nothing WRONG with curvaceous women. I applaud this show for having female-bodied people with varying shapes and so should you. Amethyst and Garnet both present themselves as people of color (POC), a catch all for "ethnic" where ethnicity is not implied, and have bodies you don't see often in cartoons (or in the media, for that matter) . Amethyst is not dressed inappropriately-she dresses how young people normally dress ; an off-the-shoulder blouse above a tank top is not scandalous. Garnet is voiced by a British POC and, despite appearing as a black woman, is arguably the strongest and most level-headed of the Gems. Her body is never sexualized and, though stoic, has had whole episodes dedicated to her power to love. She has been called the leader of the group, so imagine. Pearl is tall,flat chested, and thin , a body type a lot of girls also find in themselves that they can't always find in media in a positive light, and is educated and graceful. She displays some social anxiety and traits of OCD that, instead of hindering her or making her unlikeable, actually make her achievements and contributions to her team all the more impressive. As someone who grew up with a learning disability and social anxiety, I enjoy Pearl's character a lot. These are NOT "tropes", they are character traits, and it's important your kids have diverse representation to look up to. Steven is a great role model for children. Hopeful and upbeat, nothing ever, ever gets Steven down. Even when Steven fails in an episode-and he does-the Gems are sure to reassure him, since failure is the best way to learn. This doesn't make him annoying, it makes him human and relatable to your kids, who are goofy and fallable. Steven also challenges gender norms. While displaying an innocent love interest in (POC!) human girl Connie and having a boyish love of video games and explosions, he isn't afraid to embrace the cute and pink-his Gem is Rose Quartz so he brands a pink shield and pink lion, and won't hesitate to call something like a cartoon animal "cute". A little mind-blowing to some parents, but I believe the right ones can appreciate the message that colors and things don't equal "being gay". The relationship dynamics are also great and, for a show about freakin alien humanoid gems, pretty darn realistic. Steven is raised by the Gems. It's unclear why-hints are made that it's to make sure he gets the proper instruction he needs as a Gem, or that his father Greg isn't in a situation to raise him- but the Gems are great parents, if awkward, given their limited know-how on humans, but what parents are perfect? While Greg does not live with his son, and ebbs out a meager existence as an owner of a car wash, he's seen in several episodes giving Steven fatherly advice and disciplining him when he needs it. I think its great that we are given a unique family perspective in a kids show. Not all families are nuclear and this doesn't have to make them bad; not all children live with their fathers, but this does not have to keep them from having a healthy relationship with them. Hell, I wish my Dad was as approachable as Greg, who seems to be the progenitor of Steven's "never give up" attitude. Stevens never shows anything but pride in his Gem family or his father. In the episode where he meets Connie's parents for the first time, two married well-to-do people, he brings his whole family and expresses anger at the idea that anyone would be "ashamed" of them. As for the deceased mother, well, she gave up her life to bring Steven into existence. Rose Quartz expressed a love for all living things, and humility, and is inherited in Steven, who gradually tries to subdue and convert monsters to good instead of destroying them. That's some beautiful stuff. The other characters in Steven's town are also fun and diverse, many POC. Any "sexualization" you've heard of in the show, as I typed this, has been hand-holding and dancing. That's it. Nothing you wouldn't find anywhere else. No blood or death in the series except for post-show death of mother, and the monsters aren't even "killed"-they are captured and stored away. As a young person and lover of animation, I can't push this show enough. Music is beautiful, animation is an actual pleasure to your eyes worthy of being called art, episodes range from goofy and fun to heart-warming and moving, and a range of ages-your baby to your elem. school aged child to your tween or teen-can be in the same room to watch this and, honestly, will love it the OLDER they are. You should probably watch it too. I plan on being a stay-at-home mom and watching it with my kids one day. If you think children's entertainment shouldn't engage your kids at all and just jingle keys in their face while you fumble with a car seat, or are backwards enough to dislike interracial coupes or strong black women or people wearing whatever they want or boys wearing pink, that's one thing, but it's an A+ great show for our times, I want it to get more support so we can have more like it because, honestly, it's what we deserve.
Teen, 17 years old Written byIhateyou December 5, 2013

Actual review

Emily Ashby is a biased critic, and she should be ashamed. Her review gave this show an unfair review, which is completely untrue. I'm going to give you a REAL review, unlike this horrible excuse of a critic. Steven Universe is a cartoon about a boy named Steven, who is part of the Crystal Gems. There are three crystal gems besides Steven, Amethyst, Garnet, and Pearl. These characters promote DIVERSITY, not stereotypes like Emily said (btw Emily, those stereotypes are only stereotypes to you, racist. As a proud African American, I am HAPPY about the characters in this show.). Garnet is the leader of the Crystal Gems. She has a calm demeanor and is like a teacher to Steven. Pearl is the second oldest member of the Crystal Gems, and she acts as a mother to Steven. She is extremely smart and agile, and seems like a good role model for kids. Amethyst is the second youngest member of the Crystal Gems. She is like a friend or sister to Steven, and she has the most fun with him. She is a fun and easygoing character. Steven is the youngest member of the Crystal Gems. He is still young and can get himself into trouble at times, but he is also determined and caring to everybody around him. He is a good role model to younger kids. The show itself does contain violence, but there is absolutely no blood or gore whatsoever. Most of the violence revolves around the Crystal Gems fighting monsters that threaten their town, because they are protectors of the universe. The show has great animation and plot lines that are easy for younger kids to follow, but the show also has an overarching storyline that older kids can enjoy too. I don't really get where this critic got the language and sex from, I watched 4 episodes with my 3 younger siblings and saw nothing of the sort, the show is very kid-friendly in those areas. The only downside to this show is the fact that Steven is meant to relate to younger kids, and older kids 15+ years old might find him irritating at times. Overall, this is a good show that deserves a higher review than it currently has. 2 stars is completely unacceptable considering the quality of this show. I would definitely recommend this show to other people, I know my siblings absolutely loved this show and they won't stop taking about it! EDIT- Oh, and I just realized Emily also said "Pulling her weapon from her cleavage" Emily, you obviously missed the point there too. She is pulling her weapon from her HEART, and no, no cleavage in the slightest is shown.
Teen, 16 years old Written byemykat183 November 7, 2013

An amazing show with great morals and lots of love!

My young age rating isn't because I think it's bad, on the contrary, as a teenager I really like this show, and I rather have my little siblings watch this than something like 'Jake and the Neverland pirates' or *shiver* 'Yo Gaba Gaba' because this show is engaging, and it talks to kids like intelligent, and always learning human beings, which, they are. I watched it with my 5 year old sister, my 7 year old brother, and my 9 year old brother. We all liked and enjoyed it. The younger kids can watch the bright happy colors, the silly songs, adorable jokes and characters, and be content and happy well soaking up good story, morals, and pure fun and action. The older kids can focus on the interesting story aspects, the beautiful screen art, and the great voice acting, not to mention the heart breaking backstories, something we have already seen in play from just the first few episodes. (And I can’t wait for more ^-^) My favorite part about the show and what I’ve seen of it, is that it acknowledges certain things that kid shows don’t normally, like yes, sometimes bad things happen to good people. Look at Steven, his mom died and he’s being raised by his mom’s old friends because his dad is kinda a deadbeat. But Steven keeps a bright and positive attitude in the cold world. And because he smiles and loves life, and keeps moving, he always comes out saving the day. That’s an important message to send to kids who have fallen on hard times. Life is tough and scary, but life is also bright and happy, and you should love being alive no matter who you are because things will always get better, and you are important and can help things get better! Steven is an amazing role model, and the shows message is so sweet it’s almost cheesy! But some people might be opposed to the show because of the violence, when we first meet the gems they are straight up murdering a bunch of worm monsters. Steven’s response to this is that he finds the worm monsters cool, and thinks they should keep them as pets, but then a worm monster spits an acid puddle on the floor, burning a hole that looks down in the lower levels of the building, and well, they don’t keep the monsters as pets. Would you? All the violence really seems to be directed at monsters who seek to kill, which really isn’t that bad. If anything, my younger siblings found it to be pretty awesome, as did I. However the violence is quite tame, and hardly present, and not to intense, as the monsters disappear out thin air when destroyed, and bigger monsters leave behind ‘gems’ as a sort of war prize when destroyed, but also seem to disappear. Others may dislike the show because of the ads. And I was very nearly in that category. You see after months of awful ads depicting a horrible show by the name of ‘Uncle Grandpa’ many cn fans lost all faith in cartoon networks choice of shows. It was actually kinda insulting. You’d just get finished with a bomb shell reveal from ‘Adventure Time’ you know what I mean AT fans, those sudden shocking moments that tell you something about the characters and the overall plot that come within the last second of the episode, those ones that leave you staring at the screen wishing you could time travel to next Monday to find out what the heck just happened, but knowing in your heart that you can’t, and even if you did, you’d find that next week’s episode had nothing to do with what you just watched. Then as you’re gawking in shock at the screen, he comes out. Uncle Grandpa. “Good morning” Remember those word cn fans? I do, and I’m still annoyed when I hear them today. *sigh* I’m ranting. Back on topic, uncle grandpa came out, and I watched it just to see if maybe it was good, it wasn't. Many people had the same experience, and many lost faith that cartoon network would ever produce another good show. Then we start seeing ‘Steven Universe’ ads. Still completely hurt by uncle grandpa, I personally was wary of watching this new silly looking show, and frankly kinda scared of the now seemingly abusive relationship I have formed with cartoon network. But, when my siblings wanted to watch the show with me, I braced myself for what could possibly be another punch to the face from my favorite channel. Going in with low and hesitant expectations, I readied myself in a mental flinch. But I was pleasantly surprised. Cartoon Network, why did I ever doubt you? So what I’m trying to say here, is watch the show, give it a chance at least! I really liked it and I think you will to! And if not, it’s still perfectly appropriate for kids of all ages, is full of good messages, and interesting stories, and of no threat to you or your family. Not to mention, it’s full of beautiful art and great characters and plot! This is emykat183, signing off and wishing you a happy viewing! ;)
Parent Written byJayce8654 January 22, 2015

Been watching since debut

My sons have been watching Steven Universe, adventure time, regular show, clarence, uncle grandpa, 'gumball' for a long while. I recently DVR'ed several episodes of several childrens shows and set out on an experiment to watch all of them. I did so. I have reviewed all of the above shows. Now I move to Steven Universe. At one time I believed all of these shows were harmless and mostly created as equals. I now have a better understanding of the new age of childrens shows. This is another show I am very much against any child 10 and under watching. Other reviews I mentioned maturity and intelligence within your child as a deciding factor in allowing kids to watch; That is NOT the case in this review. Steven Universe is almost good, almost ok to watch, almost entertaining, but it IS NOT any of the above. I compare this to Uncle Grandpa. It is strange, creepy, inappropriate, gross, unsettling, etc. I did not like watching Steven Universe. Yes theres factors that make me believe its almost on 'Gumball's" level; but other factors that make me dislike as much as 'Grandpa' . Thank You Update: This show is awful. Period.
Parent Written bymilanestablished January 20, 2014

It's Great

When you search for wrong things you can find them! Even in a Tom and Jerry you can see stereotypes and mildly sexual behavior. People complain when there are too thin characters and people complain when they're too big! We all come in different shapes and sizes and I think it's refreshing to see a character that doesn't fit the "physical mold". Whether she be Darker skinned with a cubed futuristic afro or thin with spikey blonde hair. Each of the characters on Steven Universe are modeled after the meaning behind the gem they dawn. Garnet- Protection Pearl- Sophistication Amethyst- Playful Stevens character lost his mother at birth and the whole story line is not only him saving the world but finding himself while being taken care of by his late mothers "sisters". The father isn't an active or constant part of his life but he continues to be fun loving and learns himself each episode with the women in his life. He takes trips to see his father they mourn as well as celebrate the life of Stevens Mother. I think it's a positive message for racial, physical, and emotional tolerance.
Adult Written byInfinity8 April 14, 2014

Emily, your review of the characters is so off mark

You make it sound as if having different body types is somehow disrespectful, but its not. Steven Universe character designs embrace the differences. I also find it funny how you're review says nothing about pearls body type because in your mind its probably "normal". Embrace differences, don't erase them. Heres a more accurate review of the characters. Steven is a boy who is also a crystal gem. Hes very energetic and looks up to his 3 friends Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl. His curiosity and awe often gets him into trouble but the rest of the Gems are always around to help him solve the problem while teaching him a lesson in the process. Garnet is the cool and level headed of the Gems. She almost has a leadership role in the group. Shes very patient with Steven and the rest of the Gems. She always gets along with along with everyone because she doesn't judge. The right amount of seriousness and fun. Amethyst is a silly, rambunctious girl who likes to have fun all the time. She and Pearl have a bit of a friendship rivalry since their characters are almost opposite to each other. She doesn't like responsibilities and doesn't care too much for tidiness. She reminds Steven to have a little fun sometimes and encourages him to continue being himself. Pearl is the gentle but strict one. She likes order and cleanness and is often seen bickering with Amethyst about Amethyst's untidy habits. She reminds Steven that he has to be responsible and in my opinion is almost like Stevens mother figure since he doesn't have his motherly around anymore.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykinx November 25, 2013

A Truly Wonderful Thing

Steven Universe, despite the unfair review, is a truly incredible show, teaching incredibly open-minded, good ideals. Unlike many children's shows, it includes not only one, but *three* strong female characters, and a young boy who actually looks up to these girls. As well, all three of these women have different body types, promoting body-positive thinking. In my honest opinion, I think Common Sense Media was grasping at straws about Garnet's afro and body type, or Amethyst's lips, clothes, and personality. Amethyst's lips are, I assume, just a choice made by the designers, and the fact that they are "over-plumped" actually holds no weight? Some people just have fuller lips. That's just the way it is. Her personality is, while brash and childish, another design choice, as is the same with Garnet. Steven Universe is the one of the only cartoons in existence to have three completely different, strong female characters that all have their own style, body-type, and personality, and yet are all three still considered good characters--and here's the best part: they all three aren't just there to be love interests. They're actually relevant. And *that* is hard to come by. Also I'm sorry but that "sexual innuendo" is literally the hollowest thing I have *ever* heard.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byRaptorkaz November 20, 2013

You can be a hero and still be heavy, just look at amethyst.

I think that saying Steven Universe can cause body image issues for kids because there are portly characters is a very strange way of thinking. I like watching cartoons with my daughter, and I try and monitor the media she consumes. Because I watch shows with her I have noticed that nearly all the shows on Cartoon Network show skinny male characters as the heroes. I think it's refreshing for her to be watching a show where the heroes, if not the titular character, are women. I think it's also important that not all the characters are skinny. I want my kids to make healthy choices but I also don't want my eight year old giving up treats because she thinks they'll make her fat. I want her to see that you can be "portly" and still be a hero.
Teen, 15 years old Written byskeletonslife441 November 4, 2013

CSM?

Are you going to dislike every new show sometimes?
Parent of a 9 year old Written byaborer2002 January 1, 2014

Great Show with Realistically Imperfect Characters

A show with some minor faults, but is beautifully animated and has wonderful music. Stephen is, to me, a tragic figure, who has lost his mother, but still loves his deadbeat father. He is guided by an all-female household, all of who have good points and bad points. And they live in a rundown resort town, which to me is more realistic than any number of shows about suburban cul-de-sacs. Magical beings with flaws? Show me who is without flaws, and I will urge them to cast the first stone.
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2013

To whoever wrote "Don't Believe in Steven!"

Whoever said the people who watch this show are morons, I happen to have a genius IQ, and absolutley love this show. The endings are heartfelt, it has good role models, it has awesome story lines. If you want to be spiteful, go to the Uncle Grandpa page!
Teen, 14 years old Written bypurplelion August 9, 2014

One of the new greats in American cartoons

Okay, for starters, the CSM review here seems extremely biased, and I'll happily debunk any lies that it told in just a bit. Secondly, this show is, well, amazing. I'm not just saying that because I enjoy the show's quirky, fun sense of humor, but because it has a charming innocence to it, amazing characters [who are very diverse and unique], and a creative, engaging plot that knows when to be funny and when to be serious. The premise is that a boy named Steven lives with three girls dubbed the 'Crystal Gems' who solve problems and battle monsters and other malicious entities in what seem to be other worlds. Steven is half crystal gem, as his mother married a human, and travels along with the three while also dealing with his own problems in his hometown of Beach City. Let's start off with the characters. No, they aren't stereotyped. There's a difference between having character traits and being stereotyped. They are very diverse and distinctive in both race and body type - all of their designs, though heavily stylized, seem very realistic and true to the real world. For example, Pearl is a skinny character, but she's not thin and beautiful. She's just plain skinny - an average body type. Same goes for Amethyst, a fuller-figured character. It's nice to see a show that finally acknowledges that not all people are idealistic models. But I'm not here to rave about that character designs. The characters themselves are great! Pearl, while I expected just the opposite, is a very strong, loving, and somewhat awkward mother figure, especially for Steven whose mother is apparently deceased. She tries her hardest to be mature and level-headed, but does loose her temper at times - but she is never mean-spirited and always carries good intentions. Amethyst is a snarky, fun-loving and slightly immature girl, and is very realistic in that she can be kinda selfish at times but always learns her lesson, and is really just joking around most of the time. She is a great friend to Steven and their interactions seem very real. Garnet is a stoic, though she does have quite the sense of deadpan humor to her, making for a very unique character. She remains calm and composed for the most part, but isn't emotionless, and it's very clear she cares about the other characters. And then there's Steven himself, who I'd say is one of the most realistic child characters I've seen for a long while. He's loud, overdramatic, and very innocent and accepting. He's always looking on the bright side of things. Overall, all of this shows character's are very believable, and the three crystal gems are extremely strong and unique female leads. The overall message of the story is a highlight, too. The message of the show is that imperfections are okay, as they're what make us unique. The show focuses on Steven messing things up, but in the end everybody is okay with it and very accepting of his actions, as they realize it's only human to make mistakes. I think this is an amazing moral for kids and even adults, because many of us live in fear of making mistakes and miss out on big opportunities because of it. I must take a minute to talk about the animation and sound here. It's absolutely stunning from every angle. The art direction is gorgeous, with very brightly-colored characters and watercolor-like pastel backgrounds, all of which are beautifully executed and really help set up the fun, wimsical mood this show sets up. The animation itself is very fluid and expressive and very fun to watch. The music is gorgeous, and puts up a surreal air to the show with it's soft hums and whirs. It can be bright and peppy, though, if it needs to. The voice acting is also superb, with each voice actor obviously getting into their role. It doesn't seem like somebody voicing the characters, it seems like those would be their actual voices because the acting is just so believable. I especially praise Connie's actor for being able to express emotions with a life-like intensity and realism. The only problem you may have with the show is the violence and scary scenes; while violence is not frequent it can get pretty intense, but is always pulled off very seriously and is never a joke [except in milder cases where no injuries are suffered]. For example, *spoiler* in one episode, Pearl is stabbed through the stomach with a sword. There is no blood, but it is clearly shown and we get a few prolonged shots of her while impaled, and is very intense because of how sudden it is. This is played very seriously and with a lot of emotion, and is the main plot point of the episode. *spoiler end* The violence is nothing more mature kids shouldn't be able to handle, though. There are some more intense, though non-violent, scenes, including more than a few scenarios where it genuinely seems like a character is going to die soon [See the episode 'So Many Birthdays' for an example]. Sometimes these are sad, others suspenseful, but the characters always pull through by the end. I higly recommend this show to anybody who has cartoon network on their television, and it is one of the channel's true greats.
Teen, 17 years old Written byS.D.Reviewer9 March 13, 2014

A breath of fresh air

I was extremely disappointed by the official review for this series, as I feel it misinterprets all of the positive messages that should've been fairly obvious and gives an unfair impression of the show as a whole. Every single character is unique in body type and personality, most noticeable with the three female "Gems". The varying body shapes strike me instead as a message of diversity, defying the standard of typical cookie-cutter character designs, presenting their differences as a completely natural reality. No one comments about how fat or thin the characters are, or if their hips are wide, or if their lips are plump. It isn't pointed out, it's simply allowed to be, and everyone coexists peacefully despite obvious physical differences, just like they should. There's no stereotyping so much as there is merely a diversity in physical appearance, which if anything is a positive message to spread for children. To deny the existence of plump lips or portly body figures is, if anything, the most insulting thing possible for those who have them. Go tell someone in real life how you feel bad for them having plump lips and say that they should've been made differently. See how they react. Now that I've offered my two cents on the "exaggerated stereotypical markers", this show is definitely so far a shining example of everything a cartoon should be. It's appealing to children but can also be enjoyed by adults. Kids should have a lot of fun with Steven's misadventures and parents, along with older viewers, will find that despite the seemingly simplistic nature of the series, there's actually a lot of very subtle touches that make it so much more interesting than at face value. It's clear that a huge amount of effort is put into each episode. It hits all the highs and lows of an emotional rollercoaster, which is crucial for making the audience not only enjoy the show, but feel for the show. If there's nothing but sunshine and humour, the happiness feels flat. If there is nothing but unhappiness and jerks for characters, viewers feel nothing but apathy. A perfect example of this cartoon's astonishing emotional depth is the recent episode "So Many Birthdays". It's one that adults will understand better than kids, but contains so many moments of humour, heartwarming, and soul-crushing sadness that it is definitely worth an open-minded watch. What definitely sells the show for me is the characters. They are all fantastically written. Definitely the crown jewel in this regard are the three female Gems, Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl. As mentioned above, they have completely different designs and personalities, but a huge part of the fun comes from seeing them play off one another and Steven himself. All of them play different roles in the life of their young ward, helping him in different ways and guiding him with their personally distinct methods. They're a team of fantasy-like warriors that protect humanity from perils, usually Gem monsters. Garnet is the stoic leader, a figure of calm stability and silent wisdom, yet the very rare occasion she shows emotional vulnerability adds another layer of depth to her character. Amethyst is wild and carefree, acting as an irresponsible yet fun-loving sister figure for Steven. She's rude, coarse, and a bit portly, but she doesn't care what others think of her and doesn't feel the need to conform to anyone's standards to feel accepted. Pearl is uptight and strict, but also very motherly and gentle to Steven and seems to act as a stand-in for his own deceased mother, Rose Quartz. She's the intellectual, often coming with plans against enemies, but isn't always above it all, especially when dealing with her polar opposite Amethyst. What I found very interesting about Pearl in particular was her ability to be stuck-up, yet be completely justified for it anyways. She'll freak out and get overprotective of Steven, but its always when there's a genuine risk to his safety, and she isn't a killjoy just for the sake of being one. Steven himself is definitely also a very refreshing character in recent cartoon history. He's a young boy that is by no means perfect, is plump without being self-conscious, and tends to screw things up for his sister-figures with his childishness, but by all means always has his heart in the right place. More remarkable is the fact that he's a young boy who idolizes and strives to be like three older female role models, who despite being very powerful and beat up monsters daily, are unquestionably feminine. I can't immediately think of any cartoon premise that has a young boy looking up to women, but can think of plenty examples where a young girl will look up to a male role model. While not wrong, it's definitely reassuring to finally see a reverse of the common scenario. The reason why I can't consider any of these characters stereotypes is because, taken from the Oxford dictionary, stereotyping is "A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing". All the characters clearly have tons of depth to them and cannot be defined by a mere few attributes, which is remarkable considering that the time of writing, this series has only had fourteen episodes thus far. The setting of the series takes place in a small town by the beach side, appropriately named "Beach City", but occasionally we get reminded of the fantastical locations that also exist when the Gems go off on their missions. So far, it only adds more mystery to the story universe and can breed some very interesting theories. The Gems themselves are certainly quite mysterious in their backstories. There are still many questions waiting to be answered, such as what are the Gems exactly and are they the only ones left? If they are, where did all the others go? This can definitely be intriguing for older viewers to consider, and the mystery builds suspense while small bits of info are dropped casually across the episodes. As for violence, it's definitely there, but I find it relatively tame, especially compared to super hero cartoons. The first episode consists of some combat against a hoard of over-sized centipedes, but the battle is bloodless and the creature disappear into smoke upon defeat. "Teen Titans" is another example of a well done cartoon, but it had far more violence, yet I remember both myself and my friends being unfazed by it when I was in second grade. In short, there is violence, but hardly anything too excessive, unless you have issue with your child seeing even the slightest hint of physical combat. Steven Universe, from what has been seen so far, is a stellar example of a well-done show. It's definitely a jewel among the disappointing wrecks for cartoons that have emerged in recent years and harkens back to a period of time to cartoons that were almost universally considered to be fantastic. It's deep, emotional, bright, subtle, humorous, colourful, well-animated, well-realized, and a perfect example of a cartoon that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. I strongly suggest looking past its colourful and silly exterior and to give it an open-minded watch right next to your kids. You might be surprised at how much you'll enjoy it.
Adult Written byIcyteasupport March 14, 2014

Believe in Steven Universe?

Amazing show, the pacing is perfect, it doesn't need a 2 part episode to explain something with loads of action and emotion.
Teen, 16 years old Written byexplosivewasabi January 20, 2014

This show is a gem!

Anyone who is criticizing this show based off of misrepresentation is clearly missing the purpose of the show. The show makes the best attempt of any cartoon yet, to represent everyone. The differences in body type, so called "stereotypes", are not as they seem. By representing a slender woman, a curvy woman and strongly built woman, the show is representing the children that are in the audience! The protagonist, Steven, is by no means slender, and yet that does not draw away any of his heroic qualities! Amethyst's loudness is not at all meant to be seen as a flaw it is meant to be admired by those girls who are too afraid to speak. Garnet's afro is not meant to be a stereotype, and this coming from a POC who lacks natural hair, it is meant to represent those women in this new day in age who are proud of their natural hair. It is no coincidence that Garnet's gem is in her fist because she is strong and meant to represent the silent strength and beauty. Pearl's intelligence is not masked because of her gender, nor is her beauty taken away by her short hair. This show, is a GEM in itself. Three women working together to guide a young boy. Teaching boys that they can admire strong, intelligent, outspoken women is something I hope all cartoons strive for.
Kid, 12 years old November 10, 2013

Not what i expected

When i saw the commercial i honestly thought it'd be a lot like regular show, adventure time, etc. Then when i saw it my reaction was like "WOW. Well this isn't what I thought It'd be." I was really surprised thinking that the show would probably be for people around my age then after I see it I say it should be like Y-7 unless it already is that but I don't know I never checked the rating.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bymcgintymk January 24, 2015

Better than Expected

I admit I was skeptical about the quality of the show when I saw it advertised. But, being an illustrator, I've had a lifelong interest in cartoons. I was surprised that the heroes of the show are women even though Steven is the focus. As well, I thought it refreshing that the women represent ethnicities besides Caucasian and their body types are not idealized "Barbie" types. Yes, their is bloodless fighting but this is a show about superheroes. What really strikes me about every episode is the affection between Steven and the gems. Steven is kind, caring and thoughtful and the gems are supportive and nurturing to Steven. Essentially at the end of the episodes I'm left thinking how sweet the show is. I'm glad there is a cartoon like this on television.
Adult Written byTyspy197 April 20, 2015

The only show I watch

This show is by far the best show I have seen. Everything about this is well thought out and beautiful; the plot, setting, artwork, animation, character development, everything. The show is essentially about polymorphic sentient rocks which go by the name "the crystal gems". Without spoiling much of the show, I'll just say that there is a LOT of intertwining plots between episodes. This means that the best way to see the show is IN order, but seeing out of order will also give you a wonderful experience. I find that this show is extremely full of positive messages about acceptance and atypical characters. For example: Amethyst is of a heavier set build, Garnet has large thighs, and pearl is very twig like. The show also has a different dynamic, being that steven's mother is also him. This is due to Steven's mother passing on her gem to him ultimately killing herself to create steven. The other gems who are looking after steven are upset at the fact that Rose is gone, but accept and teach Steven, even if they almost seem to blame him for his mother being gone. To be completely honest, I don't watch any TV other than this show. I love it's messages and its goal. Unlike other shows like Teen Titans Go!, Steven Universe has a lot of emotion and character development. Most of the episodes bring out intense emotions due to the character development and the bond you feel with the characters. On a final note, nothing about the show is typical or not well thought out. Every single episode as of now has had wonderful plot or character development even if the episode is a minor one. I recommend this to anyone of any age!
Adult Written byLerot April 16, 2015

Best cartoon series I've ever seen!

Not only is this cartoon absolutely adorable, with strong positive messages and a heartwarming plot, but it's one of those animated series that not only focus young children, but also creative adults. The art work is beautiful, and the animation is just as gorgeous. Each character has unique quarks, and you easily fall in love with every single one of them. This is definitely a masterpiece, and I've loved each and every bit of it so far! I can't wait for more!
Parent Written byDarla Tea November 4, 2013

Special New Show

I found this show to be sweet and creative with a cute 80's retro sensibility. Because the creator came from Adventure Time ( Rebecca Sugar) the storyline doesn't condescend to adults or kids, female or male members. The main character is a kind of outcast trying to find himself and connect with his imperfect father and apparently deceased mother ( from whom he received his powers?). It's already engaging. Our family is looking forward to more.