All member reviews for Steven Universe

Teen, 17 years old Written byIhateyou December 5, 2013

Actual review

Emily Ashby is a biased critic, and she should be ashamed. Her review gave this show an unfair review, which is completely untrue. I'm going to give you a REAL review, unlike this horrible excuse of a critic. Steven Universe is a cartoon about a boy named Steven, who is part of the Crystal Gems. There are three crystal gems besides Steven, Amethyst, Garnet, and Pearl. These characters promote DIVERSITY, not stereotypes like Emily said (btw Emily, those stereotypes are only stereotypes to you, racist. As a proud African American, I am HAPPY about the characters in this show.). Garnet is the leader of the Crystal Gems. She has a calm demeanor and is like a teacher to Steven. Pearl is the second oldest member of the Crystal Gems, and she acts as a mother to Steven. She is extremely smart and agile, and seems like a good role model for kids. Amethyst is the second youngest member of the Crystal Gems. She is like a friend or sister to Steven, and she has the most fun with him. She is a fun and easygoing character. Steven is the youngest member of the Crystal Gems. He is still young and can get himself into trouble at times, but he is also determined and caring to everybody around him. He is a good role model to younger kids. The show itself does contain violence, but there is absolutely no blood or gore whatsoever. Most of the violence revolves around the Crystal Gems fighting monsters that threaten their town, because they are protectors of the universe. The show has great animation and plot lines that are easy for younger kids to follow, but the show also has an overarching storyline that older kids can enjoy too. I don't really get where this critic got the language and sex from, I watched 4 episodes with my 3 younger siblings and saw nothing of the sort, the show is very kid-friendly in those areas. The only downside to this show is the fact that Steven is meant to relate to younger kids, and older kids 15+ years old might find him irritating at times. Overall, this is a good show that deserves a higher review than it currently has. 2 stars is completely unacceptable considering the quality of this show. I would definitely recommend this show to other people, I know my siblings absolutely loved this show and they won't stop taking about it! EDIT- Oh, and I just realized Emily also said "Pulling her weapon from her cleavage" Emily, you obviously missed the point there too. She is pulling her weapon from her HEART, and no, no cleavage in the slightest is shown.
Teen, 16 years old Written byemykat183 November 7, 2013

An amazing show with great morals and lots of love!

My young age rating isn't because I think it's bad, on the contrary, as a teenager I really like this show, and I rather have my little siblings watch this than something like 'Jake and the Neverland pirates' or *shiver* 'Yo Gaba Gaba' because this show is engaging, and it talks to kids like intelligent, and always learning human beings, which, they are. I watched it with my 5 year old sister, my 7 year old brother, and my 9 year old brother. We all liked and enjoyed it. The younger kids can watch the bright happy colors, the silly songs, adorable jokes and characters, and be content and happy well soaking up good story, morals, and pure fun and action. The older kids can focus on the interesting story aspects, the beautiful screen art, and the great voice acting, not to mention the heart breaking backstories, something we have already seen in play from just the first few episodes. (And I can’t wait for more ^-^) My favorite part about the show and what I’ve seen of it, is that it acknowledges certain things that kid shows don’t normally, like yes, sometimes bad things happen to good people. Look at Steven, his mom died and he’s being raised by his mom’s old friends because his dad is kinda a deadbeat. But Steven keeps a bright and positive attitude in the cold world. And because he smiles and loves life, and keeps moving, he always comes out saving the day. That’s an important message to send to kids who have fallen on hard times. Life is tough and scary, but life is also bright and happy, and you should love being alive no matter who you are because things will always get better, and you are important and can help things get better! Steven is an amazing role model, and the shows message is so sweet it’s almost cheesy! But some people might be opposed to the show because of the violence, when we first meet the gems they are straight up murdering a bunch of worm monsters. Steven’s response to this is that he finds the worm monsters cool, and thinks they should keep them as pets, but then a worm monster spits an acid puddle on the floor, burning a hole that looks down in the lower levels of the building, and well, they don’t keep the monsters as pets. Would you? All the violence really seems to be directed at monsters who seek to kill, which really isn’t that bad. If anything, my younger siblings found it to be pretty awesome, as did I. However the violence is quite tame, and hardly present, and not to intense, as the monsters disappear out thin air when destroyed, and bigger monsters leave behind ‘gems’ as a sort of war prize when destroyed, but also seem to disappear. Others may dislike the show because of the ads. And I was very nearly in that category. You see after months of awful ads depicting a horrible show by the name of ‘Uncle Grandpa’ many cn fans lost all faith in cartoon networks choice of shows. It was actually kinda insulting. You’d just get finished with a bomb shell reveal from ‘Adventure Time’ you know what I mean AT fans, those sudden shocking moments that tell you something about the characters and the overall plot that come within the last second of the episode, those ones that leave you staring at the screen wishing you could time travel to next Monday to find out what the heck just happened, but knowing in your heart that you can’t, and even if you did, you’d find that next week’s episode had nothing to do with what you just watched. Then as you’re gawking in shock at the screen, he comes out. Uncle Grandpa. “Good morning” Remember those word cn fans? I do, and I’m still annoyed when I hear them today. *sigh* I’m ranting. Back on topic, uncle grandpa came out, and I watched it just to see if maybe it was good, it wasn't. Many people had the same experience, and many lost faith that cartoon network would ever produce another good show. Then we start seeing ‘Steven Universe’ ads. Still completely hurt by uncle grandpa, I personally was wary of watching this new silly looking show, and frankly kinda scared of the now seemingly abusive relationship I have formed with cartoon network. But, when my siblings wanted to watch the show with me, I braced myself for what could possibly be another punch to the face from my favorite channel. Going in with low and hesitant expectations, I readied myself in a mental flinch. But I was pleasantly surprised. Cartoon Network, why did I ever doubt you? So what I’m trying to say here, is watch the show, give it a chance at least! I really liked it and I think you will to! And if not, it’s still perfectly appropriate for kids of all ages, is full of good messages, and interesting stories, and of no threat to you or your family. Not to mention, it’s full of beautiful art and great characters and plot! This is emykat183, signing off and wishing you a happy viewing! ;)
Teen, 15 years old Written byskeletonslife441 November 4, 2013

CSM?

Are you going to dislike every new show sometimes?
Teen, 14 years old Written bykinx November 25, 2013

A Truly Wonderful Thing

Steven Universe, despite the unfair review, is a truly incredible show, teaching incredibly open-minded, good ideals. Unlike many children's shows, it includes not only one, but *three* strong female characters, and a young boy who actually looks up to these girls. As well, all three of these women have different body types, promoting body-positive thinking. In my honest opinion, I think Common Sense Media was grasping at straws about Garnet's afro and body type, or Amethyst's lips, clothes, and personality. Amethyst's lips are, I assume, just a choice made by the designers, and the fact that they are "over-plumped" actually holds no weight? Some people just have fuller lips. That's just the way it is. Her personality is, while brash and childish, another design choice, as is the same with Garnet. Steven Universe is the one of the only cartoons in existence to have three completely different, strong female characters that all have their own style, body-type, and personality, and yet are all three still considered good characters--and here's the best part: they all three aren't just there to be love interests. They're actually relevant. And *that* is hard to come by. Also I'm sorry but that "sexual innuendo" is literally the hollowest thing I have *ever* heard.
Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2013

To whoever wrote "Don't Believe in Steven!"

Whoever said the people who watch this show are morons, I happen to have a genius IQ, and absolutley love this show. The endings are heartfelt, it has good role models, it has awesome story lines. If you want to be spiteful, go to the Uncle Grandpa page!
Kid, 12 years old November 10, 2013

Not what i expected

When i saw the commercial i honestly thought it'd be a lot like regular show, adventure time, etc. Then when i saw it my reaction was like "WOW. Well this isn't what I thought It'd be." I was really surprised thinking that the show would probably be for people around my age then after I see it I say it should be like Y-7 unless it already is that but I don't know I never checked the rating.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypurplelion August 9, 2014

One of the new greats in American cartoons

Okay, for starters, the CSM review here seems extremely biased, and I'll happily debunk any lies that it told in just a bit. Secondly, this show is, well, amazing. I'm not just saying that because I enjoy the show's quirky, fun sense of humor, but because it has a charming innocence to it, amazing characters [who are very diverse and unique], and a creative, engaging plot that knows when to be funny and when to be serious. The premise is that a boy named Steven lives with three girls dubbed the 'Crystal Gems' who solve problems and battle monsters and other malicious entities in what seem to be other worlds. Steven is half crystal gem, as his mother married a human, and travels along with the three while also dealing with his own problems in his hometown of Beach City. Let's start off with the characters. No, they aren't stereotyped. There's a difference between having character traits and being stereotyped. They are very diverse and distinctive in both race and body type - all of their designs, though heavily stylized, seem very realistic and true to the real world. For example, Pearl is a skinny character, but she's not thin and beautiful. She's just plain skinny - an average body type. Same goes for Amethyst, a fuller-figured character. It's nice to see a show that finally acknowledges that not all people are idealistic models. But I'm not here to rave about that character designs. The characters themselves are great! Pearl, while I expected just the opposite, is a very strong, loving, and somewhat awkward mother figure, especially for Steven whose mother is apparently deceased. She tries her hardest to be mature and level-headed, but does loose her temper at times - but she is never mean-spirited and always carries good intentions. Amethyst is a snarky, fun-loving and slightly immature girl, and is very realistic in that she can be kinda selfish at times but always learns her lesson, and is really just joking around most of the time. She is a great friend to Steven and their interactions seem very real. Garnet is a stoic, though she does have quite the sense of deadpan humor to her, making for a very unique character. She remains calm and composed for the most part, but isn't emotionless, and it's very clear she cares about the other characters. And then there's Steven himself, who I'd say is one of the most realistic child characters I've seen for a long while. He's loud, overdramatic, and very innocent and accepting. He's always looking on the bright side of things. Overall, all of this shows character's are very believable, and the three crystal gems are extremely strong and unique female leads. The overall message of the story is a highlight, too. The message of the show is that imperfections are okay, as they're what make us unique. The show focuses on Steven messing things up, but in the end everybody is okay with it and very accepting of his actions, as they realize it's only human to make mistakes. I think this is an amazing moral for kids and even adults, because many of us live in fear of making mistakes and miss out on big opportunities because of it. I must take a minute to talk about the animation and sound here. It's absolutely stunning from every angle. The art direction is gorgeous, with very brightly-colored characters and watercolor-like pastel backgrounds, all of which are beautifully executed and really help set up the fun, wimsical mood this show sets up. The animation itself is very fluid and expressive and very fun to watch. The music is gorgeous, and puts up a surreal air to the show with it's soft hums and whirs. It can be bright and peppy, though, if it needs to. The voice acting is also superb, with each voice actor obviously getting into their role. It doesn't seem like somebody voicing the characters, it seems like those would be their actual voices because the acting is just so believable. I especially praise Connie's actor for being able to express emotions with a life-like intensity and realism. The only problem you may have with the show is the violence and scary scenes; while violence is not frequent it can get pretty intense, but is always pulled off very seriously and is never a joke [except in milder cases where no injuries are suffered]. For example, *spoiler* in one episode, Pearl is stabbed through the stomach with a sword. There is no blood, but it is clearly shown and we get a few prolonged shots of her while impaled, and is very intense because of how sudden it is. This is played very seriously and with a lot of emotion, and is the main plot point of the episode. *spoiler end* The violence is nothing more mature kids shouldn't be able to handle, though. There are some more intense, though non-violent, scenes, including more than a few scenarios where it genuinely seems like a character is going to die soon [See the episode 'So Many Birthdays' for an example]. Sometimes these are sad, others suspenseful, but the characters always pull through by the end. I higly recommend this show to anybody who has cartoon network on their television, and it is one of the channel's true greats.
Teen, 16 years old Written byexplosivewasabi January 20, 2014

This show is a gem!

Anyone who is criticizing this show based off of misrepresentation is clearly missing the purpose of the show. The show makes the best attempt of any cartoon yet, to represent everyone. The differences in body type, so called "stereotypes", are not as they seem. By representing a slender woman, a curvy woman and strongly built woman, the show is representing the children that are in the audience! The protagonist, Steven, is by no means slender, and yet that does not draw away any of his heroic qualities! Amethyst's loudness is not at all meant to be seen as a flaw it is meant to be admired by those girls who are too afraid to speak. Garnet's afro is not meant to be a stereotype, and this coming from a POC who lacks natural hair, it is meant to represent those women in this new day in age who are proud of their natural hair. It is no coincidence that Garnet's gem is in her fist because she is strong and meant to represent the silent strength and beauty. Pearl's intelligence is not masked because of her gender, nor is her beauty taken away by her short hair. This show, is a GEM in itself. Three women working together to guide a young boy. Teaching boys that they can admire strong, intelligent, outspoken women is something I hope all cartoons strive for.
Teen, 17 years old Written byS.D.Reviewer9 March 13, 2014

A breath of fresh air

I was extremely disappointed by the official review for this series, as I feel it misinterprets all of the positive messages that should've been fairly obvious and gives an unfair impression of the show as a whole. Every single character is unique in body type and personality, most noticeable with the three female "Gems". The varying body shapes strike me instead as a message of diversity, defying the standard of typical cookie-cutter character designs, presenting their differences as a completely natural reality. No one comments about how fat or thin the characters are, or if their hips are wide, or if their lips are plump. It isn't pointed out, it's simply allowed to be, and everyone coexists peacefully despite obvious physical differences, just like they should. There's no stereotyping so much as there is merely a diversity in physical appearance, which if anything is a positive message to spread for children. To deny the existence of plump lips or portly body figures is, if anything, the most insulting thing possible for those who have them. Go tell someone in real life how you feel bad for them having plump lips and say that they should've been made differently. See how they react. Now that I've offered my two cents on the "exaggerated stereotypical markers", this show is definitely so far a shining example of everything a cartoon should be. It's appealing to children but can also be enjoyed by adults. Kids should have a lot of fun with Steven's misadventures and parents, along with older viewers, will find that despite the seemingly simplistic nature of the series, there's actually a lot of very subtle touches that make it so much more interesting than at face value. It's clear that a huge amount of effort is put into each episode. It hits all the highs and lows of an emotional rollercoaster, which is crucial for making the audience not only enjoy the show, but feel for the show. If there's nothing but sunshine and humour, the happiness feels flat. If there is nothing but unhappiness and jerks for characters, viewers feel nothing but apathy. A perfect example of this cartoon's astonishing emotional depth is the recent episode "So Many Birthdays". It's one that adults will understand better than kids, but contains so many moments of humour, heartwarming, and soul-crushing sadness that it is definitely worth an open-minded watch. What definitely sells the show for me is the characters. They are all fantastically written. Definitely the crown jewel in this regard are the three female Gems, Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl. As mentioned above, they have completely different designs and personalities, but a huge part of the fun comes from seeing them play off one another and Steven himself. All of them play different roles in the life of their young ward, helping him in different ways and guiding him with their personally distinct methods. They're a team of fantasy-like warriors that protect humanity from perils, usually Gem monsters. Garnet is the stoic leader, a figure of calm stability and silent wisdom, yet the very rare occasion she shows emotional vulnerability adds another layer of depth to her character. Amethyst is wild and carefree, acting as an irresponsible yet fun-loving sister figure for Steven. She's rude, coarse, and a bit portly, but she doesn't care what others think of her and doesn't feel the need to conform to anyone's standards to feel accepted. Pearl is uptight and strict, but also very motherly and gentle to Steven and seems to act as a stand-in for his own deceased mother, Rose Quartz. She's the intellectual, often coming with plans against enemies, but isn't always above it all, especially when dealing with her polar opposite Amethyst. What I found very interesting about Pearl in particular was her ability to be stuck-up, yet be completely justified for it anyways. She'll freak out and get overprotective of Steven, but its always when there's a genuine risk to his safety, and she isn't a killjoy just for the sake of being one. Steven himself is definitely also a very refreshing character in recent cartoon history. He's a young boy that is by no means perfect, is plump without being self-conscious, and tends to screw things up for his sister-figures with his childishness, but by all means always has his heart in the right place. More remarkable is the fact that he's a young boy who idolizes and strives to be like three older female role models, who despite being very powerful and beat up monsters daily, are unquestionably feminine. I can't immediately think of any cartoon premise that has a young boy looking up to women, but can think of plenty examples where a young girl will look up to a male role model. While not wrong, it's definitely reassuring to finally see a reverse of the common scenario. The reason why I can't consider any of these characters stereotypes is because, taken from the Oxford dictionary, stereotyping is "A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing". All the characters clearly have tons of depth to them and cannot be defined by a mere few attributes, which is remarkable considering that the time of writing, this series has only had fourteen episodes thus far. The setting of the series takes place in a small town by the beach side, appropriately named "Beach City", but occasionally we get reminded of the fantastical locations that also exist when the Gems go off on their missions. So far, it only adds more mystery to the story universe and can breed some very interesting theories. The Gems themselves are certainly quite mysterious in their backstories. There are still many questions waiting to be answered, such as what are the Gems exactly and are they the only ones left? If they are, where did all the others go? This can definitely be intriguing for older viewers to consider, and the mystery builds suspense while small bits of info are dropped casually across the episodes. As for violence, it's definitely there, but I find it relatively tame, especially compared to super hero cartoons. The first episode consists of some combat against a hoard of over-sized centipedes, but the battle is bloodless and the creature disappear into smoke upon defeat. "Teen Titans" is another example of a well done cartoon, but it had far more violence, yet I remember both myself and my friends being unfazed by it when I was in second grade. In short, there is violence, but hardly anything too excessive, unless you have issue with your child seeing even the slightest hint of physical combat. Steven Universe, from what has been seen so far, is a stellar example of a well-done show. It's definitely a jewel among the disappointing wrecks for cartoons that have emerged in recent years and harkens back to a period of time to cartoons that were almost universally considered to be fantastic. It's deep, emotional, bright, subtle, humorous, colourful, well-animated, well-realized, and a perfect example of a cartoon that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. I strongly suggest looking past its colourful and silly exterior and to give it an open-minded watch right next to your kids. You might be surprised at how much you'll enjoy it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMrMovieBuff January 18, 2014

What crudity? I don't see any!

This show is great. When I saw the promo for it, it seemed pretty cool. The night it aired, I went to Wendy's for dinner. I enjoyed my baconator, fries, and Coke. When I got home, I watched the first 2 episodes, and they were excellent! The animation was so colorful I couldn't take my eyes off it. The acting was also pretty good. The theme song was nice as well. The plot is nice and creative. The characters are cool and the humor is hysterical! Good job Cartoon Network.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJeff_ZombieHunter September 21, 2014

GREATEST THING SINCE SPONGEBOB!

Ever since I started watching Steven Universe I can't stop watching it. With Rebecca Sugar being the creator along with an amazing cast this show has lovely artwork, beautiful scenery, great songs and music, creative characters, and a astonishing story. I would rather the children of today to watch this rather than "Jessie" or "Pac-Man and The Ghostly Adventures" . Although many may state that some subtle couples ( Pearl+Garnet ) are lesbians, they are incorrect, Rebecca Sugar herself said that Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst are gender-less. Although adults claim that it has stereotypical characters, the show really contains weird and rare character. Many Disney and Nickelodeon shows these days contain perfect, beautiful characters these days, Steven Universe shows children that the real beauty is on the inside. I highly recommend it! :)
Teen, 15 years old Written bypseudonym46231 February 23, 2014

The show that cements the revival of Cartoon Network

Adventure Time is great, Regular Show is nice, Gumball is rad, but Steven Universe is darn near perfect. The characters all have their strengths and weaknesses, and each one is likable in their own way. The plot is strong, and bound to be explored for quite a long time. If that's not enough, the show also has some of the best animation of any cartoon I have ever seen. The music is varied, and delightful to listen to. The voice actors and actresses are just fantastic at what they do; the characters all sound just like you would expect them to, and more. It's got lots of action, lots of comedy, and some good messages about teamwork, effort, and being yourself. Whoever wrote the official Common Sense Media review completely missed the point of the series. The characters are not stereotypes, and they are hardly archetypes. Also, Garnet is not African-American, that's just her voice actress. The three female characters are there to make the show as diverse as possible. They have different body types and possibly ethnicities, yet they are all strong, highly-motivated women. On top of that, there's a possible interracial relationship involving the main character. You hardly EVER see that in children's cartoons. This cartoon, along with Gravity Falls, is the cartoon that proved to me that we are in a new golden age of animation. I highly recommend it.
Kid, 9 years old November 5, 2013

Heck Yeah!

This show has a dab of cool a hole LOT of awesome but DON'T ADD ANY LAME! This show is one of the BEST shows on CN so far. But CS that stuff was harsh! This was a very cute show with many humor (make a video game to). Its like Ultimate Spider man met adventure time and spongebob! This is clearly the best CN show.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylucamations November 13, 2013

pretty good show!

Teen, 17 years old Written byTrombono November 10, 2013

A promising new adventure series

This cartoon displays a great cast of characters, all with strong and engaging personalities. The crystal gems star as defenders of the town, protecting the people from strange and bizarre alien invaders. The show is bright, colorful, and displays cool retro and modern themes. Garnet is the tall, wise, and powerful figure in the group, Pearl is the motherly figure, and Amethyst is a more rambunctious younger troublemaker. All three of the crystal gems take care of Steven, a young boy who is trying to find out how to use the power left to him by his late mother. The cast of the show is diverse both racially and with body types, but doesn't accentuate or differentiate characters because of these qualities. The show seems to display themes such as responsibility, friendship, and family. I don't think it's quite right for younger kids because some of the monster battling scenes can be unsettling, but younger tweens will love this show. It's cute art style, great music, and more serious undertones can make it interesting for older teens as well. This series is only at one episode, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Any accusations of things like the promotion of unhealthy snacks and stereotyping is the jumping to conclusions of a sensitive parent. I recommend this comic to both boys of girls around 12-15.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTheJediPikachu August 18, 2014

If every porkchop was perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!

Steven Universe is one of my favorite shows on television. When I saw the commercial back in October of 2013, I wasn't sure if I would watch the show. But, then I heard how Rebecca Sugar came up with the show. So, I gave it a shot and watched the Pilot. The characters have good messages like "Nobody is perfect" and "there is always a way to fix every problem". Steven is a very wise kid but he's also very silly. That's what I like about the show. The kid is being a kid while giving advice at the same time. Meanwhile, the show's plot is very complex. They have yet to tell the audience about Steven's parents and how they came to be. Or, how did the crystal gems (Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl) met each other. This show has potential. It also has some very necessary sad moments. I call them "Feels". The music in the show is very retro. They create 8 bit and 16 bit music as well as really catchy ukulele songs. The music gives me the tingly happiness you get when you hear your favorite song. Overall the show is great and people should watch it. The actual review for this show disappoints me. The review is so off. It's like the person who wrote it never saw the show or has no respect for good cartoons.
Teen, 16 years old Written byX-Agent December 27, 2013

Cute and funny show

This show is awesome and adorable. Sure, the first episode wasn't very good but it still qualifies as the premiere to an amazing hilarious show. Pearl is a great role model. Amethyst is you're ordinary teenage instigator, who kinda acts like me. Garnet is considered as the leader of the group and has a british accent. And last but not least, there's Steven. The protagionist. Steven is a great character regardless of being a big eater. Another thing to note about him is that he is somewhat adorable. Overall, this show is a great show nad so far I have seen every episode and will catch up with newer episodes.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLunariLongCat April 8, 2015

Lovely

It has great morals, characters, style and stories. Children at 5 years old can watch it but I don't think they will fully understand the idea of Steven Universe. They might enjoy it anyways!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycanned coelacanth March 13, 2015

Steven Universe is my hero

One of my favorite tropes is the "people from diverse and sometimes conflicting backgrounds become family" trope, and I think the heart of Steven Universe is just that: family. A family that is battered, bruised, and damaged in ways invisible to the naked eye (or invisible to a inexperienced child like Steven,) but never broken. You can tell the show was made with plenty of love, and while it is a comedy, the characters are never treated like one-dimensional stereotypes. The titular protagonist, Steven (voiced by the incredible Zach Callison,) is a young half-human half-gem boy. He's enthusiastic, unabashedly emotional, sees the best in people (in his own words "I like everyone!") and has a very loving relationship with his father and his adopted sisters/mothers - the Crystal Gems. SPOILERS (I have seen the entirety of season 1): The Crystal Gems are anthropomorphic gemstones from an alien planet. The Gems have been referred to as "women" in various reviews, but the creators of the show have said they are "non-binary" which means they don't subscribe to any gender (which makes a ton of sense, as they are literally living gemstones, not humans. Anyway, yay for non-binary representation!) Though they still use she/her pronouns. Of the Gems, there is Garnet - the tall, mysterious, stoic, afro-sporting de facto leader, Pearl - the worry-prone, brainy, surprisingly emotional ballerina looking one, and Amethyst - the short, impulsive, scrappy purple one with long hair. All the voice acting is top notch, and a recent episode delving in to the relationship between Steven's mother - Rose Quartz - and Pearl allowed Deedee Magno (Pearl's voice actress) to display an awe inspiring amount of nuance and pathos. I'd give her an award if I could. Anyway, the show revolves around Steven learning about his gem powers, and the adventures he goes on. It's quirky, fun, and has plenty to offer for everyone (my mom and nephew watch the show with me!) Steven Universe starts off light, but gets progressively heavy as Steven learns about his mother (who gave up her corporeal form to give birth to him), how his family members have been dealing with his mother's "death", and the checkered history of the Gems, who have been alive for THOUSANDS of years. The interactions between all the characters are great. There are misunderstandings, fights, and frequent conflicts, but always always love. Steven doesn't always understand what's going on, and the Gems don't always give the best guidance, but real relationships are flawed like that, you know? Throughout the series, we learn along with Steven about the world and about himself. His innate goodness, his love, never ceases to inspire me and those around him. TL, DR: It's easy to be jaded and cynical, it's much harder to hope and love. And while altruism and friendship are values frequently extolled in children's shows, Steven's inextinguishable optimism never feels trite or patronizing. It feels radical. It feels necessary. It feels universal. My hero.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfamemonster8 February 6, 2015

Here's the real truth in my opinion...

As a 13 year old boy, I disagreed with the review. Now, I think the review does make some good points, but I really believe that Emily got the wrong idea about the characters. Remember, this review is trying to be as unbiased as possible. Steven Universe is a show that features some wackball characters. It's really Adventure Time-esque, but in a way, it surpasses Adventure Time. Adventure Time's first seasons were not just interesting, they had guts and spirit that not many shows had at the time-something I can definitely relate to Steven Universe. The characters aren't quite cliche as Emily describes. While they do show elements that could be portrayed as stereotyping, I think that these are quite different than is usually thought of. I've never seen these kinds of stereotypes on Cartoon Network before. These kinds are promoting different character models. If you want to see originality, this is really the show for you. Garnet, Pearl, Amethyst, Steven, and if you really want to go there, Greg, aren't trying to show the stereotypes that we know today-it's just that they're so...human. They all have their own stories and problems, and they all show weakness at times. Connie has very little friends and somewhat controlling parents. Steven is enthusiastic very often, but beyond that there's that sense that he doesn't understand his powers and why he can't do what is expected of him or what other people can do. Amethyst seemed to have little redeeming qualities at first, but a recent episode titled "On The Run" showed a different side to her-a more insecure side. Pearl's an excellent role model. For that matter, so is Garnet and Amethyst, in their own ways. It's pretty much just that Pearl has most of her traits revolve around Steven and his happiness. They all really care about Steven and want to help him through the issues he deals with every single day. The violence is...well, if you've ever visited the TVTropes page, you could compare it to Bloodless Carnage. The only problem I would have is if you were a follower of the show-if you're over twelve years old you know there's an actual plot and that the storyline is really starting to move-then you could know (Spoilers ahead) that the monsters they fight are actually corrupted gems. That's pretty deep for a kid's show, but then again, I do believe this show isn't a kid show at heart. It's for tweens and preteens and teens who understand the show and why it's so awesome! There are a lot of shows that are like Steven Universe, mostly Adventure Time, Chowder, and Gumball. But I think that the shows that really portray what Steven Universe is about are Bee and Puppycat and Over the Garden Wall. They all show weakness and issues that many shows are too busy drawing laughs to really tackle. I think that the review was correct about many things, but if you're over 12 years old, and you don't find any appeal in this show, then I kind of feel bad for you-not because you don't like the show, but because you can't see anything heartwarming about it. I hope this sort of changes parent's minds about what the show's truly about and what it is at heart. :)