Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Stranger Things

Dark "strange invader" drama will appeal to sci-fi fans.

Adult Written byCosmin K. February 18, 2018

Great show, but just some things to keep in mind… 13-14 up (depending on maturity)

The name of the TV show has popped up and been mentioned, quite frequently by my friends and other parents, in the past half year or so, so we (my 14y old and I) thought we'd give it a go. And I must say that its quite alluring and compelling with the plot and the different, relatable characters. Although the consumerism and sex is quite minimal, I'd have to disagree with the 12+ overall rating given by parents on this site as the graphics and swearing at times can be quite intense. As a mother of four, I would not want my 11 or 9yo to be exposed to the language and some of the more graphic scenes shown in this tv show. I am able to watch this show with my 14y old and they understand swearing at this age so the language used in this show isn't alarming or triggering in anyway, and in some scenes has even been amusing. However if you are uncomfortable with your teen listening or being exposed to these words, I suggest you watch over the episode before letting them watch it. Theres been a couple of reviews from parents mentioning and being slightly alarmed by the party and some of the 'sexier' scenes in this tv show. However in all honesty it's really quite minimal and I'd think that teens by the age of 13 or so would have probably been exposed to worse, and they know and understand by this age that parties and stuff do go on and they are well aware of that stuff. Pretty much all teen TV shows these days include these kinds of scenes, and I have seen a lot worse from other 'teen' shows. There are a lot of cigars consumed by the characters in this show, however this is because of the era it is plotted in (the 80's), so there's nothing to be worried about by this, so long as your kid understands the effects of consuming them and you are certain that they won't go on and do the same. The violence in the show was the one thing I was worried most about, as I don't want my kids to be witnessing any overly violent acts and to be influenced by them in anyway. And there are a couple of gory death scenes, however most of the time (especially cause my daughter hates blood and all sorts of gory stuff) they look and cringe away anyways, so i'd say that kids (over 14) can responsibly make their decision to look away if it gets a too much for them. Most kids by this age are old enough not to be under the influence of this violence and most of the violence in this tv show is unrealistic, being done so my unrealistic living creatures. There are some great kid actor/actresses in this TV show that have a good image, and I myself am a fan of some of them and think that they're great role models for my kids, unlike some young actors/actresses that sometimes portray unrealistic standards and images for young teens. Overall i'd be fine and would feel comfortable with my daughter watching this on her own.

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byiatoolman July 18, 2016

Good tween sci-fi

It is really good, first of all. It isn't a cheesy 80's throwback film; it is more like an 80s noir, an homage. Great sci-fi/adventure story. The kids depicted are like 12/13 and 17/18. It is scary at times, but that is a matter of experience. Some ten-year olds wouldn't mind and it might terrify some adults. Ignore the reviewer about the blasphemy. Keep your Jesus out of my sci-fi. I can't believe the kissing scene in the bedroom wasn't mentioned. It would be pretty heavy for a 13 year old. No nudity, but tops off and heavy kissing. I know my eight-year old would be embarrassed. My opinion is learning to not trust the government is a good thing. There is no reason why I should trust them when it comes to unearthly creatures, even in the real world. Enjoy it with a mature tween.

Adult Written bykittenofdeath676 August 8, 2016

I think it's just awesome!!

I like it. There is some swearing. And the characters don't exactly keep there clothes on all the time. But other than that i have nothing negative to say about it.

Adult Written byTaylor F. September 6, 2016

Stranger Thing... strangely captivating.

I went into this series without any expectation of it being something I would appreciate. I am not a fan of "scary" films or monster shows. "Stranger Things" was surprised me. The acting is solid. The plot keeps you guessing. Every episode deepened my interest. In my opinion, the final episode is the one of the most powerful that I have seen of any show in a long time. I watched it twice. The show does have some rough edges and doesn't sugar coat its characters. The children characters use language fit for adults (but do not use the f-word). One female character loses her virginity and is seen removing her shirt. The violence in the film can be more mental than what is seen, save one scene in the 7th episode where El sees the body of a friend. What shines through these rough elements is the journey of the characters. The characters mature. They make sacrifices that are commendable. The "questionable" characters prove themselves in the end and the "good" characters reveal their flaws and weaknesses. Love is seen through the relationships. I feel like parents should do a watch through and be mindful of the maturity of their children. (I suggest watching beyond the 2nd episode where the female character loses her virginity as this element of the story is not a common event or theme in the series.) I feel like families would have much to talk about after watching the series. The spiritual parallels are numerous and I felt like Stranger Things provided me a powerful new image of Christ's victory over death. Worth a watch for those who are mature.

Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 16 year old Written byHayley K. August 2, 2016

Great eighties set science fiction show!

I binge watched this with my husband and three oldest children! It had some language, violence, and sex. But is very compelling and well written! Very similar to Polergist, Stand By Me, and Goonies!

Parent Written byLawrence T. October 29, 2017

Inappropriate Things

I can't believe all the parents that think this show is appropriate for any Kidd under at least 14. I stupidly started watching this with my wife and 13 yo daughter because everyone said she was the right age for it. The show, in addition to being terrifying, had high school kids making out in the bathroom in the first 10 minutes and the town sheriff joking about "how bad someone's mother looked when he had finished having sex with her" ... Unbelievable! I was so annoyed with myself. Everyone seems to love this show, and it did seem entertaining for adults and older teens. I just can't believe how many parents let their tweens watch this kind of stuff.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byjuan c. September 10, 2016

Great show

Great episodes. Bravo! Bravo! I watched it with my eleven year old son and now we watch 2 episodes a week. Great show.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byCheese and Bread October 31, 2017

Best show on Netflix!

Great show for teens and up! Amazing plot!

Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byLily B. December 27, 2016

This is the best sci-fi show in Netflix! There is some language but is fine for middle schoolers. I would recommend it for middle schoolers but mostly 7th graders. It's a great 80s theme show with great role models. It is a MUST WATCH!

Adult Written byBrooklynn R. Vi... September 1, 2016

Great Show For Teens!!

I really like this show. Sometimes their is alcohol,drugs,and swearing. If you can deal with that,I think you will very much enjoy Stranger Things. Although I am not quite 13 yet, I am mature enough to handle what I see on this show. So you should show this show to your kids or your friends!!!

Parent of a 15 year old Written byjsnowhite August 18, 2016

Know Thy Kid!

We're 2 episodes into this, watching with our film-savvy 15 year old, and after episode 2 (unfortunately watched RIGHT before bed) I (the 54 year old mom!) had seriously stressful dreams, followed by a screaming 15 year old showing up in our room at 4 a.m. It's well done and fun scare, but this is definitely the last time we'll watch before bed! As far as the sex scenes go, as I parent I appreciated that our daughter was yelling at the TV-- "BAD DECISION!! NEVER LEAVE YOUR BUDDY!". lol... it showed bad decision-making on the part of the "smart girl", (she also "shoots" a beer before the heavy making out) which opens LOTS of room for discussion.
Adult Written bymick f. August 9, 2016

Too Dark

Too dark and too tragic. Not what I'd consider family entertainment. As a Christian and a parent, I don't want this program in my home or in my mind. Definitely not a good influence on kids. Themes of demonic activity and communication, government experiments on children (whom they have kidnapped for the purpose of experimentation), child death, depression, drug use, teenagers drinking alcohol, teenage sex... the list goes on. And I've only watched three episodes. If this were on a major tv network, it would have a mature rating rather than 14+.

Adult Written bycrhj July 16, 2016

Rats! Typical "Original" Netflix fare.

My husband and I watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things. The Common Sense Media was correct about all the items listed to be prepared for if you are concerned about for example, language, except I noted they left out the fact that a number of characters said "Jesus" and none of them were praying- this is a sensitive issue for many folks and why it was ignored is curious to say the very least. The facts also ignore the abundant drinking and smoking done by teens and adults. So... typical "Original" Netflix fare, it would seem. These folks seem to cater to the seamy, gritty side of life but if that's what floats your boat... Just thought others should get the whole picture.

Adult Written byJean L. October 28, 2017

Had to make a stand with my own child on this one.

I didn't even make it past the first 20 minutes. My 17-year old daughter wanted to try this show so while everyone else was in bed (thank goodness), I agreed to watch it with her. What bothered me the most was the bad language coming out of children's mouths. I can tolerate some swearing in movies when adults are the culprits because I know they know better and are choosing to say those lines, but any director/screen writer who thinks it's o.k. and encourages kids to use that kind of language obviously does not have any scruples and I don't trust what other messages will come from that kind of director/writer. I know one reviewer felt this show displayed some Christian messages but I don't think Christ would be able to stand the language or the befouling of our youth any more than I could. Unfortunately, my daughter didn't see things my way and she was pretty miffed with me for not wanting myself or her to continue watching it. Hopefully she'll eventually see my turning it off as a good example of even adults choosing what they watch carefully.

Adult Written byOpie J. July 29, 2016

Fantastic Show -- Difficult to Age Appropriately

I loved this show. The language is, at times, unnecessarily bad for young kids, but altogether it's a great show dripping with nostalgia. I think it's appropriate for 15 and up, maybe 14s. Really enjoyed it.

Adult Written byDwright9 May 24, 2019

I am 9 years old and I love this show so much!!

Awesome!!!!!!! I can not wait until season 3!!!!

Adult Written byChow250907 May 23, 2019

Awesome 80s Si-Fi Horror not too scary but might be for younger viewers.

Strong threat, language. Moderate sex, and language. The violence is infrequent but intense when it happens. Dark. Quite dark indeed. At 12 you should be able to handle it. The adventure spirit dies down the threat. There is some discriminatory language like midnight, toothless. Pussy is used once.

Adult Written byNadawn April 29, 2019

I LOVE MILLIE BOBBY BROWN

Millie Bobby Brown is an outstanding actress with an amazing sense of style. I'm gonna shave my hair like her. She is such a motivational speaker. -Noah Schnapp

Adult Written byCaseymcmillon April 29, 2019
Adult Written byAce_1442 April 9, 2019

If you do fine with scares and language must watch