All member reviews for Strangers with Candy

After school-special spoof is an acquired taste.

Parent Written byTwainSlimWriter April 29, 2012

HYPOCRITE! THIS SHOW ROCKS!

PLEASE! These after school specials of my childhood created more monsters than they ever solved. I remember so many specials about childhood sexual abuse which had sex scenes between adults and kids. In and of itself, how was that not a form of childhood sexual abuse? It is what it is-and many kids were talked into believing things happened in those specials that really did not in their own lives. I'm tired of adults feeling they have the right to tell kids not to do everything they do and 10 times worse.
Adult Written byJeffRC March 4, 2012

Hilarious show, but not for younger kids

I love the show, but it first began to air when I was 17, and I feel like it is appropriate for that age, or maybe just a year or two younger. There is lots of sexual innuendo, but nothing terribly explicit. It pokes fun at after school specials, but in the end, Jerri always ends up learning the wrong lesson (drugs are bad unless they help you win, sexually transmitted infections are something to be proud of, promiscuity is a badge of honor, and such). If a child is old enough to understand that this is all satire and that these lessons are the exact opposite of what is really right, then its not a bad show for teens, but younger kids might get the wrong message. There is lots of talk of previous drug use, the the only drug use that occurs on screen is smoking pot a couple times. I love it, and it's one of my all time favorite shows, but it takes the right type of person to appreciate the dark humor, and it certainly isn't appropriate for younger kids.
Teen, 17 years old Written bythisSisPOSSESSED January 16, 2011

Brilliant for a certain sense of humor.

Oh, this show. It's absolutely hilarious. Jerri Blank's over-the-top innapropriate humor is something to be laughed at rather than cringed at. (if you're of the right age, of course.) My father loved it and my sister loved it and so do I, although my mom doesn't. It all depends on what kind of humor you find funny. She has a diary that she calls her "Dirty, dirty jew diary" and I remember at one point she pointed out that she was "moist as a snack cake down there." There is also a blantant gay relationship between her english teacher and her art teacher. But, as I've said, if you like that kinda humor then you'll love it. I wouldn't suggest showing it to kids though until they're at least 15/16, or older if they are the kind that would take a negative influence to heart.
Adult Written byoogamama May 3, 2010

Adult Written byangelascats March 25, 2010

Hahaha, there are no reviews. This show is definitely not a kids' show. Jerri, the main character, is an ex-junkie ex-prostitute who goes back to high school at the age of 42 (or somewhere around there). She makes all the same mistakes, but "for the right reason." It's ridiculous and there are some parts that definitely gross me out even now (like when she flashes a boy in high school and there is a bell attached to her...privates) A lot of drug/alcohol use/references, sex/masturbation references, not the best language. The messages are terrible if you take it seriously--which I don't think most kids would. But the content is probably not appropriate for kids under 13 or so. Anyway, it's a funny show, just not for kids.