All member reviews for Super WHY!

Young heroes' adventures build reading skills.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byJennrleigh April 16, 2011

Very Educational

Great role models- kids who love to learn, teach others & work together to solve problems! Very educational & interactive- viewers are asked to find & identify letters, spell words, etc. Both of my kids love to watch SuperWhy. My younger one is learning her alphabet while my older one is learning to spell & read and they really encourage each other!
Kid, 10 years old August 24, 2011

Hero?

Super Why is a nice show, really: encouraging kids to read and write, but compared to the Backyardagins, this show is about as good as Barny (which I hate and give 1 star). The other thing about this show that is not a highlight is how 1 of the Superreaders is always the person who has the problem, and the little kids might be confused: the hero is now the one who needs to be saved?
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjanetgdc January 30, 2010

great for a kid who wants to read

Parent of a 5 year old Written byBPBury1970 January 21, 2011

For small kids only

There are some shows my son watches that I will enjoy and get into, to. He gets more out of them, but I can honestly say that I find them entertaining. Charlie and Lola and The Backyardigans are good examples. But Super Why! is all him. There is so much that I don't like about the show that has nothing to do with its suitability for my son. I think the characters are poorly drawn (they seem to be both bow-legged and bow-armed), they show little personality, and they are voiced with a dull monotone. Finally, I think the morals are overly simplistic. They go through a whole episode to come up with "Take turns." I know it's supposed to be for small children, but my 5 year old son could have come up with that in less than a minute. The whole thing just seems like a lifeless, stale concept that was overproduced by a committee of adults who don't know what fun is.
Parent Written bytigerfork July 27, 2011

Positive early childhood television

My daughter is 20 month and has learned some words and shows excitement while watching. We try to limit TV for just waking up time or when she's sick and this keeps her entertained in a positive way.
Parent of a 2, 8, and 8 year old Written byjakeandjonathansmom July 1, 2010

Awesome show for preschoolers

When asked what he wants to watch, my 2 year old says "Super Why" and even knows the names of the episodes he likes to watch. It has done a great job of helping to educate him on his letters, letter sounds and letter recognition. I would and have highly recommended this program to anyone who will listen.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bylutheranmommy November 2, 2010

Totally great - watch it and your kid will be picking awesome reading skills in no time

Love it- teaches alphabet and reading skills right at the age when it needs to start. Totally holds my 3 year olds attention. Will not get on your nerves - fun to watch as an adult. I would have to say that the "mild peril" isn't really an issue because they are explaining either why not to be scared or why a child should not do that - its hard to explain that to children without having an example so I think its unfair that someone gave them that rating.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bySunnye June 5, 2010

Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written byMamaNikkiP August 17, 2010

Great show

Cute little super heros teaching letters, reading and sounds in each story. Very cute. My 3 and 6 yr old girls enjoy this show.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bymeandmygirl March 8, 2010

Super why

My daughter repeats many of their reading lessons when we read together.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byeyoungmom September 5, 2010

Only one complaint...

Great show! My 3 year old LOVES it and learns a lot from it! The only problem I have is that now, when asked to do something she doesn't want to do the responce is often "I can't, see it's in my story it says "she doesn't go to bed" " That has been annoying, but other then that we LOVE super why!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byCharleyMarie December 12, 2009

Reading skills are built

I think this is a great show for kids. This is a show that can easily build writing snd reading skills.Each character has a talent and the differences between words, sentances, the alphabet and reading are discusssed each show. The only thing I don't like is that one girl wants to grow up to be a princess. I am over fairy tales.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bymomboys2 March 23, 2010

Great for preschoolers

My son loves this show. I watch it with him and we talk about the letters that he sees. He is just learning his letters so this is perfect.
Parent Written byElektra61306 July 9, 2011

Wonderful and educational!

This show is fantastic! It encourages learning and mastering of the alphabet and a love of reading! The characters are bright and colorful and my children (now 2 and 4) have been watching this show since they were babies and both have a strong love of books and learning! It's refreshing to have such an academically focused show in the midst of all the nonsense that's on for young ones.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDzsnew May 18, 2010

Perfect for Preschoolers

This show is great! It encourages an interest in letters and reading. My son doesn't have interest in many TV shows, but he completely tunes in to this show. I've used it to get through dinners, plane trips, and car rides. It is an excellent show!
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byrlm10706 October 1, 2010

Love it!

My 3 year old loves this show! It's educational, fun, we have no complaints. :)
Educator and Parent Written byjohncb81 July 24, 2013

Super Why - Promotes whining and other inappropriate/undesirable behaviors

Are parent's actually watching this show? I'm dumbfounded by the amount of reviews that praise Super Why for providing positive role models to children. Because my 2 year old loves this show, I've been unfortunate enough to be able to watch every episode aired on Kids Sprout at least 2 times. The show is simple (which it should be) and follows the same plot formula for each episode. The show can be broken down as follows: one of the main characters has a simple problem (e.g. not wanting to share a large basket full of apples with another friend; getting yelled at by mom for running a pot of boiling water and not knowing why - which has nothing to do with the fact that it's not really safe for a small child to boil water in the first place). The main character with the simple problem typically whines about it (poor role modelling) before telling the rest of the super readers - seeking their help. Princess Pea uses her nifty wand and finds a book that holds the "super story answer". When the super readers take a look in the book, they discover a character that has a somewhat related problem that they are whining about (again, poor role modelling). Once the problem in the book is discovered, Super Why himself uses his magical pen to change the actual story around so that the whiny character can get what they want - oh and reinforcing their whiny behavior. So let's see what my child has learned up to this point of the show: If you have a simple problem then whine or cry about it and then someone will fix it for you. Let's break this down in very simple behavioral terms: If a child engages X behavior and that behavior is reinforced then X behavior is more likely to occur in the future. In this case, it's whining that is reinforced. I honestly think this show has great educational value to it. For instance, my daughter has started to ID some of the letters for the super story answers. She has also been able to label some letters based on the sound that they make. The show helps to generalize skills that my wife and I have been teaching her. Unfortunately, it has also been teaching her how to whine as evidenced by her behavior while watching a DVR'd episode earlier today. During the scene when one of the super readers whines, she began to whine. She ran back and forth whining away. She immediately stopped whining when the super reader character stopped. It's very unfortunate because Super Why provides educational value for my child but at the same time it promotes whining behavior by modeling it in almost every episode.
Parent Written bybeachlife July 16, 2012

Good spelling, dangerous lessons

Great for teaching the alphabet, but teaches children that life revolves around them; if they don't "like" a situation, story or moral truth, they can change it with magic. In "The Boy Who Cried Wolf," the problem is that the parents were insensitive jerks because they wouldn't believe everything their son told them without question. This ultimately undermines teaching. The shows reinforces children's pre-existing belief that they already know everything; parents & teachers are idiots who "just don't understand" anything.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byadb November 5, 2009

super why is a terrible show

this show is stupid. The plot cosists of deconstructing common stories till they make no sense. for instance they might make hupty dumpty easy to put back togrether again, or change the big bad wolf into a teacher or librarian. Alpha pig's symbol is the greek letter delta. They never go t o a library, they go to a "book club" thank you barnes and noble!
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bysgm12345 October 31, 2009

Not recommended for kids of any age under 8

My two year old daughter cried the first time she saw Super Why because they were ruining all of her favorite stories. I for one do not think it is teaching the children nothing but if something isn't going the way you want, you can change it even if it's messing things up for other people. I do not recommend Super Why.