All parent member reviews for Supernatural

Adult Written byParranormalHour February 5, 2012

You've got to be kidding me

Honestly I started laughing when I read this, iffy for 16 and 17. They only have a year or two before they can do whatever they want! Anyway, yes there is sex, and unless you become a nun or priest you will probably have it. Next yes they drink but they over 21 it's legal and is a part of their lifestyle. Also they fight supernatural things which in all honesty aren't pretty and are creepy but there is so much make up on these actors it is laughable (Just watch the first episode). And the language I don't consider an issue unless your kid starts saying thinks like "assbutt". Okay moving on from all that there is a strange positive message and its — "fight, no matter what the odds" that seems pretty positive to me. And finally the gore, yes there is gore if you can't take it don't watch but just because you can't take don't tell your kid they can't watch it, the gore isn't that bad.
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byAerynS December 31, 2011

Good for teens and a great disscusion starter

Supernatural is a show that can often be found on our TV at home. My 15 year old daughter loves this show and watches it when ever she can. My 12 year old also enjoys this show. I do not allow him to watch episodes however until either my husband or myself have watched it. Most of the time we will allow him to watch the entire episode but there have been a couple of times that we have decided to skip a scene or two. Though many parents have issues with Supernatural I personally find it to be a very good discussion starter with my kids, especially with my 12 year old. It allows us to discuss what is not appropriate and why. I believe that what is appropriate for a child to watch is completely up to the parents but I personally believe that this is a great show for teenagers who love the supernatural.
Parent Written byRoseywater August 7, 2012

Adult Only

Do not let your children watch this! Promotes sex,violence, using and blatantly shows extremely graphic content. Women are merely objects.....need I say more?
Parent of a 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, and 13 year old Written bymisskristin August 20, 2010

I think its ok for teens

I love this show and my kids also loved watching it until we were told it was not appropriate for them. The violence is not realistic and deals with monsters and ghosts primarily, so with proper parental supervision and discussion teens can understand it is make believe.
Adult Written byplexfrew February 7, 2010

Fine for Teens and Tweens

I thoroughly enjoy this show. While it can be occasionally violent and sexual, it isn't terribly graphic, considering modern standards. I especially like the way this show address the theme of family and loyalty. While Sam and Dean are morally fallible, they try to be good people, which ultimately seems more important and certainly more interesting. Also, by season 4, it addresses theological issues in an eschatological sense - not necessarily accurately, but definitely provocatively. I would recommend this show to kids who can handle scary situations and follow a mildly convoluted plot.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byKarenScott December 23, 2012

Definitely some good role models and positive messages here

First of all, this is insane. No positive role models or messages? No. The entire first season is about two brothers looking for their father and bonding. Throughout the entire show you learn how important family is. Sam and Dean, the main characters, risk their own lives to save other people. Defiantly lots of good role models. On the other hand, there is mild cursing and violence. There are also lots of episodes that will keep kids checking under their beds for monsters at night, and there is occasional sex. I would say 13 and up is a good age.
Parent Written byDark_Princess May 14, 2012

Adult Written bytvgirl June 30, 2009

This Show Will be Remembered for Years to Come

This show is a classic in the making. Brothers Sam and Dean Winchester go on the road across America to fight demons, ghouls, ghosts, creatures, and other bizarre monsters that go bump in the night. It is exceptionally violent. Lots of guts, blood, and gore shown from episode to episode depending on the type of monster they are hunting. A running gag is that there is one sex scene per season because one of the brothers "gets laid". The brothers drink a lot, especially Dean. Language is frequent and sometimes strong, but sometimes (for humor's sake) they have been bleeped. The only bad role model image of the show is that the brothers steal credit cards and commit identity theft to survive, by doing so they must lie to people left and right about who they are. Highlights is that even past the whole action-drama-horror image the show has strong family vaules showing that family is the most important thing in life. Bottom line: The show is normally rated TV-14 DLV. Ages 15+. 5/5 stars. Enjoy.
Adult Written byINMH March 24, 2012

Five Stars :D

I absolutely love this show, but I am sometimes shocked at the stuff they manage to get away with at primetime on the CW. I do think that the show spins a lot of positive messages about family, love, loyalty and selflessness, it also has the kind of humor and situations where your kid should have a certain maturity level before watching it (if you don't want them repeating certain words that are thrown around on the show)
Adult Written byThatKrazyGuy March 29, 2010

Better Than "The X-Files"!

Supernatural is rated TV-14 for occult themes, strong violence, gore, mild language, and occasional strong sexual content.
Parent Written byAren_seaweed August 24, 2013

Game of Thrones MUCH better cousin

While this certainly isn't the show for a teen who wants only rainbows and unicorns, the positive messages in Supernatural make it perfect for the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter lover. Just as with the incredibly popular Game of Thrones, Supernatural features flawed, incredibly human, challenging characters. However, its lack of gratuitous sex, and use of stylized rather than realistic violence make it a better choice. It sends the valuable message that family is more important than the fleeting personal issues that may plague it and that "family doesn't end with blood." The complex show mythology is enough to engage even the most intelligent viewer, but clear enough that extensive religious and mythological knowledge isn't necessary (but it's sure helpful). Side warning: I've yet to meet someone who watches this who isn't a little obsessed. It's a total time waster.
Adult Written byAriadne January 1, 2011
Adult Written byoogamama May 3, 2010

Best Show in Existance

Inappropriate content: The earlier seasons aren't too bad, but a few scenes in season 3, and more in season 4/5 can be a little disturbing, violence-wise. Some scary images. Swearing, but nothing too bad. There are a few sex scenes that are pretty explicit, but have no real nudity...if that makes any sense. Lots of drinking. Season 4-5, if you're a religious nut then you may have some issues with it. Other than that, it's a fantastic show. The messages mainly revolve around the importance of family.
Adult Written byLianny92 April 9, 2008

My favorite show...

This is one of my favorite shows, but its definately not for anyone under the age of 16. I'm 15, but I think I'm pretty mature for my age so my parent's think it's o.k. It's a really good show, it's action packed every episode with sudden twists and turns. It always has you on the edge of your seat, which I love! So, I think anyone 16 or older would really enjoy this movie.
Parent Written bykvturner July 12, 2013

Depends on how you've raised your child, how mature they are.

There are some seriously intense scenes, some extremely violent/graphic, some extremely sexual, (even going so far to show implied sex scenes), and some extremely deep emotional moments and choices. I have watched some children that might be able to handle this at a younger age, (14-15), but the influences are too strong, in my opinion, for anyone younger than 16-17, (really, 18) to watch by themselves. Several characters are alcohol dependant, and there are many religious themes running through the later seasons. This is important, especially if you are trying to raise your child in faith. There are moments in the show that may cause them to question or doubt, and should only be watched if you are prepared to have conversation with them about the subjects.
Parent of a 3, 7, 13, and 15 year old Written byAleksei Krushnic March 30, 2011

I have all the DVDs and I NEVER miss an episode, but if you think I'm going to let my kids watch it, not. a. chance.
Adult Written byMBSN13 April 5, 2009

depends on episode

overall, i would suggest older teens and adults mostly because of the violence, which has gotten much worse over the past season (season 4 is especially brutal). There's also lots of suggestive content in pretty much every episode. But there are some episodes that are fine for younger teens. Would NOT show to kids at all (under 11?)
Parent Written byBentii May 14, 2013

I think this show is good for teens, 12+, as longs as you know them.

Violence and some language but is hilarious and awesome!
Parent of a 10, 12, and 14 year old Written bymichele michele January 30, 2013

Not for children under 15.

Parent Written byjhowse May 16, 2012

Good show but lots of violence and language