All member reviews for Supernatural

Teen, 15 years old Written byIWatchTooMuchTv October 8, 2013

LOVE this show.

This is a show that really just depends on the person. If you have a week stomach, I wouldn't recommend it ( as there are beheadings, plenty of blood splatters, sometimes gruesome bodies, and the likes.) However, horror wise, its often toned down by several comical moments throughout the episode. I get frightened easily with ghost movies, but this show doesn't scare me at all. Besides the violence there is an occasional sex scene, but often times they're not very graphic. There are quite a few references though, usually for a comical reason. But they aren't very crude, and could possibly go over younger teens heads. There's controversy over how bad of role models the Winchesters are. True, the boys (especially Dean), have a very casual attitude towards sex, enjoy a beer, and dont feel very remorseful towards killing (though they kill things to save people). But personally, I think that's what makes them such great characters.They aren't almighty heroes. They seem real. And when it comes down to it, they do what they do to save lives. And the boys would do ANYTHING for each other, which offers up some very strong messages about the importance of family. As for drinking and drugs, the Winchesters enjoy a beer about every episode, but are rarely shown getting drunk. Demon's blood is acted as a drug, but its not glorified and is shown to overall have gruesome effects. To sum it all up, if you can stomach it, I highly recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old September 19, 2013

Fantastic!

Supernatural is a great show for people who love a good scare. Parents and children alike enjoy this show, but if you don't take scary movies well, Supernatural is not for you. I first saw it when I was 10 or 11 and found it scary but fantastic. It contains A LOT of violence eg. Chopping off heads, burning bodies e.t.c. It contains some swearing... Mostly 'son of a b*****'. The protagonist, Dean, is often seen at a pub getting drunk or drinking a lot. Some episodes contain sex but it is very easy to predict by telling your child to close their eyes. Not much is seen in the sex scenes.
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2012

THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!

I love the show, i watch it all the time with my parents and they love it too. Kids that cant handle violence maybe shouldnt be watching it but kids that are more mature should definatley watch it. I know the show isnt real. There are no sex parts and they dont smoke. Parents that think it shouldnt be for 12 year olds, you should really back off. You obviously havent watched it.... they only kill monsters so i know its not real. I LOVE THE SHOW! And i think 12 year olds should watch it too. If your child wants to watch it let them because it would be stupid if they didnt!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bybethroxy January 13, 2011

Love this show. "Guilty pleasure"? No, it's just a good show. My parents used to let me watch this when I was 11. It scared me pretty badly back then, but now it doesn't scare me at all, and it's my favourite show. Don't let kids under 13 watch this TV show. It can get pretty brutal, and it is a question of age aswell as maturity as to whether you should let your child watch this show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjhae September 4, 2010

Good for the mature teen.

Kid, 12 years old April 6, 2010

What is it with reviewers?

Scary? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Most of the episodes are absolutely laughable, yet still enjoyable. I only have 2 bad points: women are talked up all the time by 'Dean', and there are not enough topless scenes with Jensen Ackles (Dean). :D
Kid, 10 years old January 12, 2010

Not for young kids.

If you can handle it, you can watch it. Very gory in some scenes, violent scariness. I watch a few episodes sometimes but my parents watch it first.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjean27596 July 8, 2015

good for non-squeamish viewers. maybe.

there are three requirements you should meet to watch this show. the first, you should be strong in your faith. i have a cousin i would never let watch this because he is not a very strong christian at all. they hold many meetings with ghosts, and pretty much go against many beliefs of all religions. none of the stuff they do is actually true. the second requirement, is, even if you are an adult, you have to be incredibly non-squeamish. it even makes me cringe and i am non-squeamish to the point my parents let me watch patriot when i was eight and i never blinked an eye. the third, is it's not for any younger viewers. even the non-squeamish sort. there is too much sex and beer to make it healthy for any under-thirteen viewers.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustReallyHomestuck June 23, 2015

Amazing series for older kids.

Supernatural is such a good show. The one thing I'd be concerned about are the creatures/monsters/demons in this show because some are a little scary, but now really. The most freaked out I've gotten from this show was the little jumpscare opening. Another thing is Winchesters. They do drink, cuss and get lucky a few times, but not enough to be concerning. Overall, would watch with older kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjuliapng June 17, 2015

Good show, very violent

I'm thirteen, and although I love the plot, I found this show really scary. I tried so hard to become a Superwholockian, but alas, I couldn't do it. This show is very suspenseful and very violent, with loads of blood, monsters, and dead people, but that comes with the territory. I would say you need to know your kid, if they're sensitive to gore and horror like I am, I would not recommend this show. Watch Doctor Who instead.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykkhoppers June 5, 2015

I grew up watching Supernatural, at night I would watch the newest episode with my dad. That said, I was exposed to much more violence and swearing when I was younger. I didn't start watching the show on my own until I was about eleven, I was never scared or scarred by it. This is a funny show that has much to learn from.
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2015

Really good show, perfect for kids 10 and up.

Supernatural is a very good horror show for ages 10 and up. I am 10 and I know a lot of friends who watch this. Not much cursing to be honest, only sometimes they say things like "Bitch" or "Hell" (when they say "Hell" they mean the actual "Hell"). Don't worry about the Sexual stuff, theres not much in it but intentions of it. They don't even say it! Also most kids 10 and up know about "It" so it shouldn't be a big deal. But the messages of Family bonds are all in it!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byroaringriptide May 12, 2015

Obsessed!!

I first started watching this show last year (season 1) when I was 12, and it kind of scared me because I wasn't prepared for the content in the show and after a few episodes I quit watching it... But recently I decided to give it another shot and once you get over the kind of scary suspense moments, it's a really interesting show. There's always a mystery about some mythological creature, funny jokes and Dean's obsession with pie. I'm already on season 4!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byncfenton April 29, 2015

FAVORITE

this is my favorite show of all time. yes it does include some inappropriate parts, but you could skip the inappropriate episodes if you'd like. there is a lot of violence, so if you are thinking about watching the show and can't stand seeing blood in every episode, then i would suggest not watching it. fun fact: episode 10.17 "inside man" is the only episode to not have an on-screen kill out of about 215 episodes. it has great characters and, as you see throughout the seasons, will do anything for the other brother. to add on to that, it talks a lot about heaven and hell and has angels and even lucifer in the show so if this is not to your liking than this is another reason why you might not want to watch it. otherwise, this is my favorite show and have recommended to so many people who have also loved the show.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLukeMoriarty April 15, 2015

Way to much violence

Around season 6 is where I stopped watching there was to much violence and gore its not that is scary its just you get kind of grossed out watching it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspnfan987 April 13, 2015

Supernatural

Supernatural is my favourite TV show. I'm really, really obsessed with it at the moment. Defiantly consider watching it if you're 13 and up, I have no idea what they mean by it being 'iffy for 16-17 year olds'. It's not that violent, but when it is you can tell that isn't real. I don't find it at all scary. There isn't that bad swearing but they do use words like 'Bitch' and 'Ass' and other swear words but not really any worse than that, and I don't consider them as horrendously bad. It's not that sexual, I mean there's only like one sex scene once a season if that and little to no nudity. Dean especially does talk about sex etc quite a bit but you can just ignore that. I also don't know what they mean by no positive messages or role models. It's all about family, and what's bad about that???!!! Sam and Dean are really strong characters and Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are really good actors, like they were made for the role. The best character is Castiel (Misha Collins) though! He is really great and it is worth the wait until season 4. All the seasons are equally good but season 7 does have its problems. I HIGHLY recommend Supernatural. WATCH IT!
Teen, 13 years old Written byokie.doki.loki April 10, 2015

Not good for younger children

I love this show, I really do. But sometimes, they go a little over the top. Parents need to know that there are frequent sexual references, and huge amounts of gore in each episode. Amazing show, but defiantly not for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBellatrix-Lestrange March 22, 2015

This is one of my favorite shows

Appropriate for mature 13 year old and above. The first season is one of the darkest, and the scariest. After that, it has a lot of comedy. There is violence, but their special effects are not the best. There is a minimal amount of sexual content, and nothing explicit.
Kid, 11 years old March 18, 2015

Entertaining with a Good Message!

I love Supernatural! Although it can get slightly scary for some kids/teens/adults and can sometimes be innapropriate, there is a great overall message and is just fantastic!
Teen, 16 years old Written bydevinq March 18, 2015

Not for those who get scared easily

Supernatural is a FANTASTIC show. The seamless blend of comedy, suspense, action and great plot is superb. I started watching the show aged 15, and I would say around 14/15 is usually an appropriate age to watch. It completely depends on the maturity of your children, though - the show does get scary, and some may find it TOO scary. Usually it's just a few jump scares, but it's not the kind of show you'd watch alone at night. There are a lot of sexual references in the show, and some scenes of sexual nature. However, there is no nudity, so I don't think it's anything a teen couldn't handle. Again, it all depends on their maturity. The violence isn't as graphic as some shows I've seen, but there is a little bit of gore - nothing that makes you look away, but I repeat - it depends on how mature your kids are. The language isn't terrible, nothing too taboo, just the occasional "bitch, hell, ass" etc. The show itself has some pretty good messages, and a nice demonstration of good vs. evil. Overall, if your child is over 13 and responsible enough, they should enjoy the show.