All member reviews for Supernatural

Terrifying guilty pleasure is iffy for sensitive teens.

Adult Written byAlyCat96 August 11, 2015

Amazing show with important messages

I'm gonna start by saying that I adore this show. My little sister got me hooked and in a matter of 2 months I had watched 9 seasons, just in time for the season 10 premier. This show is probably not meant for young children but I definitely don't think it should be limited to kids over 16, I know 9 year olds who are just as big a fan as I am. It's a show where once you're hooked it's gonna break your heart and make you cry but it's also gonna make you laugh and smile. It's definitely a show that i think everyone should try out because the characters will pull you in and you'll never want to leave they're world. Saving People, Hunting Things, The Family Business. Side Note: Now I've seen a lot of reviews pointing out the violence, the alcohol consumption, the sex and the twisting of christian beliefs as reasons to not watch the show but honestly those aren't the things that are most important to this show. They're not what defines these characters or this show at all. I've also notice a lot of reviews stating that this show has no positive messages or good role models which i think is a complete misunderstanding of the entire plot. Sam and Dean, while incredibly flawed, really are role models in the sense that they sacrifice everything to keep others, and each other, safe. They aren't perfect, but then again no one is.
Teen, 13 years old Written byManyuTheReviewer August 9, 2015

A Scray Show With Lots of Violence, But Good Messages At Its Heart

I would disagree with Common Sense on positive messages. I would give it a 1/5 maybe even a 2/5. The heroes are loyal to each other. Despite the many problems they face, they refuse to give up on each other. However, the series is pretty intense and is scary at moments. The audience is also shown some graphic images such as: headless bodies, a beating heart ripped out, blood spraying everywhere, and gory torture. There are too many sexual themes in this TV series, Dean is always "hooking up" with a beautiful women every episode or two. Most of the time it is just implied, but other times it is shown.
Adult Written byboomboom July 27, 2015

To Roseywater

*In your FREE TIME please explain to me why it objectifies women, because I would really like to understand why*. If you think it objectifies women, guess what: you don't have to watch it. 3. you are defeating the purpose of the show, it's for entertainment it is not a revised documentary.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjean27596 July 8, 2015

good for non-squeamish viewers. maybe.

there are three requirements you should meet to watch this show. the first, you should be strong in your faith. i have a cousin i would never let watch this because he is not a very strong christian at all. they hold many meetings with ghosts, and pretty much go against many beliefs of all religions. none of the stuff they do is actually true. the second requirement, is, even if you are an adult, you have to be incredibly non-squeamish. it even makes me cringe and i am non-squeamish to the point my parents let me watch patriot when i was eight and i never blinked an eye. the third, is it's not for any younger viewers. even the non-squeamish sort. there is too much sex and beer to make it healthy for any under-thirteen viewers.
Adult Written byaliinwonderland 430 July 2, 2015

Awesome

OMG rofl iffy for 16-17!!! I just recently started watching this show with my older sister (she's 16) and I saw my first episode at age 10. At that age it was to much for me and I didn't watch it again until later this month(now I'm 12) and I love it so much. It really depends on your kid but most 12 year olds can handle it. Sure Dean says some sexual stuff but that's his character. One or two sex scenes come on but they are never intense and you don't see them having sex. Yes there's drinking but they are the right age. There is A LOT of violence but it's just how the show is. And it's all fake.
Parent Written bySuzannejames01 June 30, 2015

10/10 series! Use your judgement

There's no kidding this isn't a frightening show, and some kids older than 13 will not be able to watch it. But at the same time some 12 year olds know that there's no such thing as a wendigo, or a vampire and won't be frightened by it! A lot of the reviews say there's no good messages, but what's wrong with family doesn't end in blood?
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustReallyHomestuck June 23, 2015

Amazing series for older kids.

Supernatural is such a good show. The one thing I'd be concerned about are the creatures/monsters/demons in this show because some are a little scary, but now really. The most freaked out I've gotten from this show was the little jumpscare opening. Another thing is Winchesters. They do drink, cuss and get lucky a few times, but not enough to be concerning. Overall, would watch with older kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjuliapng June 17, 2015

Good show, very violent

I'm thirteen, and although I love the plot, I found this show really scary. I tried so hard to become a Superwholockian, but alas, I couldn't do it. This show is very suspenseful and very violent, with loads of blood, monsters, and dead people, but that comes with the territory. I would say you need to know your kid, if they're sensitive to gore and horror like I am, I would not recommend this show. Watch Doctor Who instead.
Adult Written byHeathah June 13, 2015

Great show, there honestly isn't much iffy content

Supernatural is my favorite show and I've personally been watching it since I was 15. I don't really see how it is rated the way CSM rated it. Yes, characters consume alcohol and sometimes get drunk, but it isn't nearly as bad as other shows or even the real world for that matter. The worse it gets is one episode in which there was a monster that you could only see if you were drunk, but it is an episode that can be skipped. There is minor swearing, but the show is on prime-time on the CW so it never has any of the major swears not allowed on television. Violence is a given considering what kind of show it is, but nothing is terribly off-putting. There are mentions of sex, but there are no real sex scenes that go beyond heavily making-out on screen to imply sex. Never any nudity shown. I think 14+ is definitely okay, and for younger than 14, I just suggest that a parent watches the episode first because most episodes should be fine for younger teens.
Adult Written bythekeywolf June 6, 2015

Not recomended for young teens, tweens or children

Its a show that has many curse words and does talk about sex so younger children and young teens shouldn't watch this without the permission of a parent or guardian who know the show well. This show also has a lot of blood and violence too, so the weak stomached or those sensitive to heads being cut off, Demons torturing and anything related should stay away from this show. I would mostly recommend this to young adults and adults.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykkhoppers June 5, 2015

I grew up watching Supernatural, at night I would watch the newest episode with my dad. That said, I was exposed to much more violence and swearing when I was younger. I didn't start watching the show on my own until I was about eleven, I was never scared or scarred by it. This is a funny show that has much to learn from.
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2015

Really good show, perfect for kids 10 and up.

Supernatural is a very good horror show for ages 10 and up. I am 10 and I know a lot of friends who watch this. Not much cursing to be honest, only sometimes they say things like "Bitch" or "Hell" (when they say "Hell" they mean the actual "Hell"). Don't worry about the Sexual stuff, theres not much in it but intentions of it. They don't even say it! Also most kids 10 and up know about "It" so it shouldn't be a big deal. But the messages of Family bonds are all in it!!
Written byAnonymous May 24, 2015

My Soul Has Been Sold- Supernatural Wrapped

Personally, I love this show. The acting is superb, and it's easy to fall into the character's personal lives and backstories. The positive messages far outweigh the negative ones. Of course, there's drinking, violence, the occasional sex scene, but it's competing with strong family bonds, close friendships, love and loss and hope. The first couple of seasons are truly splat-tastic- Season One brings back visions of old bars, one-lane highways, warbling, dark rock, smoke, guns, sleazy motels, blood, guts, gore, and some rather horrific exorcism scenes. The brother's attitudes towards women- especially Dean's -were almost degrading. 'Bitch' is an insult that tends to be tossed around a lot, as well as damn, hell, etc. Nothing too bad. The drinking, violence, and otherwise negative themes are the base for the first two seasons. Around Season Four, things become less 'let's-go-kill-some-nasties-get-drunk-pick-up-a-chick-and-drive-off-the-next-morning' and more 'I-need-you-so-much-more-than-you-could-ever-realize'. There's heart-plucking death scenes, emotional bonds that are shattered painfully, betrayal, hatred, and circumstance. In the end, I really do think it's about two brothers who just want to do good. They were forced into this because of an accident cruelly executed late at night, because of a father who really just wanted the best for them and who was so crazy with rage and grief that he ended up getting killed himself. It's hilarious, sob-inducing, wild, cold, angry, elated. It's about being brave and standing up for what you believe in. It's finding forgiveness and light in the iciest, dankest places. It's about finding your family and weaving tight friendships that nothing will be able to unravel. It's about humanity, and how not even the Devil was born evil. I think it's about the secrets of the stars.
Teen, 13 years old Written byroaringriptide May 12, 2015

Obsessed!!

I first started watching this show last year (season 1) when I was 12, and it kind of scared me because I wasn't prepared for the content in the show and after a few episodes I quit watching it... But recently I decided to give it another shot and once you get over the kind of scary suspense moments, it's a really interesting show. There's always a mystery about some mythological creature, funny jokes and Dean's obsession with pie. I'm already on season 4!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byncfenton April 29, 2015

FAVORITE

this is my favorite show of all time. yes it does include some inappropriate parts, but you could skip the inappropriate episodes if you'd like. there is a lot of violence, so if you are thinking about watching the show and can't stand seeing blood in every episode, then i would suggest not watching it. fun fact: episode 10.17 "inside man" is the only episode to not have an on-screen kill out of about 215 episodes. it has great characters and, as you see throughout the seasons, will do anything for the other brother. to add on to that, it talks a lot about heaven and hell and has angels and even lucifer in the show so if this is not to your liking than this is another reason why you might not want to watch it. otherwise, this is my favorite show and have recommended to so many people who have also loved the show.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLukeMoriarty April 15, 2015

Way to much violence

Around season 6 is where I stopped watching there was to much violence and gore its not that is scary its just you get kind of grossed out watching it.
Adult Written byvinnyc1 April 14, 2015

This Is For Kids Ten And Up Read Why

Ok First there is no nudity in the show. Second if your child doesn't like blood or gore this is not the show for them. The characters are good role models because they will literally do anything for one another please take this in consideration
Teen, 13 years old Written byspnfan987 April 13, 2015

Supernatural

Supernatural is my favourite TV show. I'm really, really obsessed with it at the moment. Defiantly consider watching it if you're 13 and up, I have no idea what they mean by it being 'iffy for 16-17 year olds'. It's not that violent, but when it is you can tell that isn't real. I don't find it at all scary. There isn't that bad swearing but they do use words like 'Bitch' and 'Ass' and other swear words but not really any worse than that, and I don't consider them as horrendously bad. It's not that sexual, I mean there's only like one sex scene once a season if that and little to no nudity. Dean especially does talk about sex etc quite a bit but you can just ignore that. I also don't know what they mean by no positive messages or role models. It's all about family, and what's bad about that???!!! Sam and Dean are really strong characters and Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are really good actors, like they were made for the role. The best character is Castiel (Misha Collins) though! He is really great and it is worth the wait until season 4. All the seasons are equally good but season 7 does have its problems. I HIGHLY recommend Supernatural. WATCH IT!
Teen, 13 years old Written byokie.doki.loki April 10, 2015

Not good for younger children

I love this show, I really do. But sometimes, they go a little over the top. Parents need to know that there are frequent sexual references, and huge amounts of gore in each episode. Amazing show, but defiantly not for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBellatrix-Lestrange March 22, 2015

This is one of my favorite shows

Appropriate for mature 13 year old and above. The first season is one of the darkest, and the scariest. After that, it has a lot of comedy. There is violence, but their special effects are not the best. There is a minimal amount of sexual content, and nothing explicit.