All member reviews for Supernatural

Terrifying guilty pleasure is iffy for sensitive teens.

Adult Written byact5221 April 9, 2008

Good for adults, HORRIBLE for kids/teens

This is a good horror/sci-fi show that gets too gory quite often. I like the brothers and love Jensen Ackles (that's why I started watching the show) but this is definately a show that kids/teens should NOT watch. We are a very desensitized nation and this only furthers that. So while I like the show, I do think that the tension is better than the flat-out gore.
Teen, 15 years old Written byQueenPotato August 26, 2016

Quite a vivid show

In terms of how suitable the show is for younger audiences, I think 13 and up is a relatively suitable age for a person to be watching Supernatural unsupervised. It doesn't really have many great messages and role models as at times, the Winchesters and other major characters can be deeply flawed in their characters and decisions e,g. there will be times where the Winchester brothers are willing to put the lives of other people's at risk as a result of their undying loyalty for one another. Supernatural can be quite dark on violence, showing stabbings, beheadings and gruesome murders that would be frightening and therefore not suitable for a young audience. The themes are quite suggestive at times and nudity doesn't go as far as bare backs of men and women. Sam and Dean, however drink way way too much beer. I'm surprised that Dean isn't dead yet. If the demons, angels and other supernatural creatures haven't killed him yet, then his poor diet that consists of purely beer, pie and takeaway food will have a toll on him in Season 20. Sam is fine, he just has demon blood.
Adult Written byA. Wing August 20, 2016

Great show for teens and mature tweens

This show is extremely gripping and addictive (definitely worth your while). As of August 2016, there 241 episodes, with no end in sight! For a show that's been on air since 2005, it has to be doing something right. Though I wouldn't exactly call Dean Winchester the best role model, Supernatural's positive theme of family is reoccurring and stable (Dean is always looking after his younger brother Sam.) Sam is more mature than Dean, and originally was going to go to Stanford before being dragged into 'hunting' demons (he values education more, and I feel is more cultured in general.) Dean and Sam alike drink, swear (not too mature-...the worst is b*tch and the like), and there is sex (nothing explicit is shown). Plus, Dean is a huge womanizer, and in my opinion a little misogynistic. Female demons are often shown with a big bust and talk very suggestively as well. The violence in this show isn't too bad, but is quite constant. Be prepared to witness all different kinds of death, with blood and gore very present, although sometimes laughable. In my opinion, supernatural violence is easier to watch than human vs. human. In the earlier seasons, Supernatural was a little bit scary, but for a show about hunting down supernatural forces, as the seasons progress, the horror value is lowered significantly. It may sound like I'm being too critical, and the truth is, it's not as inappropriate as it sounds, and is an extremely hilarious show. No comedy on television has ever gotten me laughing like Supernatural can! Definitely one of my favorite shows. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byabbie.hallc August 17, 2016

Perfect For You if You Love the Supernatural!

I'll start by saying this-- this is such a binge-worthy show! I, for one, am in love with the concept of the supernatural. This show includes a huge range of cultures and religions, from Christian concepts of angels and demons, to Hindu Rakshasas. Many episodes include some level of truth, including learning about certain parts of history, with a twist such as a serial killer coming back as a vengeful ghost. You learn about plenty of myths from around the globe, and certainly get your fill of the supernatural! There's a huge family element in this, what with Sam and Dean (the main characters) having all sorts of things come between them, and then trying to fix issues between them. Occasionally in between fighting evil, there is some fantastic comedy which will make the viewer laugh (I certainly did). Some moments are heart-wrenching, others a downright freaky, but overall, this is my favorite, and the best. show. ever! 10/10!
Teen, 17 years old Written byKy13445 August 14, 2016

Depends

Well I think it depends on the maturity level. If they are mature then they should be able to watch the show. Some episodes might need to be viewed by parents such as 21, 11 and 34. I really however enjoyed the show. I personally think the youngest should be 11. As long as language isn't a problem I think it would be just fine. There is a small bit of sexual scenes and a good amount of swearing but over all it is fine.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybirdy062 August 13, 2016

Amazing

great show. there is nothing really bad, it can just be a bit scary at times. i started watching it when i was 10 and it was fine for me. if you're still unsure season 1 is totally fine and you just see if they like it. it also sends a great message about family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHarleyandJoker487 August 12, 2016

The rating what it says is perfect

This has tons of violence!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not recommend if you are scared of scary things or do not like super scary things this is not meant for kids under 13
Teen, 14 years old Written byhattiebaker834 August 6, 2016
it's amazing but there is some dirty bits but it is ok. The messeges and people are extreamly inspiring.
Teen, 16 years old Written byIntrovert EC July 21, 2016

An oveviewer from a long-time viewer of all 11 seasons..

While I agree with the primary warnings presented in the site's overview, there are multiple points I find are misleading. I started watching Supernatural when I was 11, although I've always been a tough kid when it comes to fiction. This, as the above states, is a know your kid situation. As an 11 year old, I could tolerate the violence in the show because I knew it was a basic demonstration of good and evil. 90% of the gore/violence on Supernatural comes from 'hunters' killing monsters, demons, etc, which as a mature kid, I knew were things that were bad and deserved the treatment they received. When there is violence towards innocent, positive characters, it is heavily stated how wrong such an act is. As for the sex aspect of the show, I would recommend that even if you deny it, your kids will probably be aware of sexual activity by the time they enter middle school. In the rare instance of an outright sex scene in the show, it can be easily skipped by the viewer. I will warn you that, yes, there is a fair amount of sexual humor and undertone in Supernatural, but most kids that can handle the violence are mature enough to know what is appropriate. There is a lot of drinking in Supernatural, but as far as I know alcohol is only shown being consumed by of-age adults, and again, requires the viewer to know the line in between right and wrong. My major issue with the above synopsis is the lack of any points for either positive messages and role models. As I said, I watched Supernatural beginning when I was 11, and I'm still a sensitive, loving person. I doubt the show is desensitizing when, whilst being an avid viewer of the show, sobbed while dissecting a frog, slept with stuffed animals, and had a rescue dog for a best friend and companion. I remember getting bullied and thinking 'What would Sam do?' and when I acted on the response, I was praised immensely by my 6th Grade English teacher. If that doesn't show some level of positive role models in the show, I don't know what will. Supernatural among other media also helped me regain my relationship with my elder sister, which I value to this day. The show challenges kids to think about things that would rarely be discussed in classes or casual conversation, and affirms the importance of loyalty and family in everyday life. Overall, I think a 16-17 age range is a disgraceful choice for the show, and is appropriate for anyone 10 and above who is mature enough to handle the content.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySchiede July 21, 2016

It's really about personal preference

Supernatural, from a technical perspective, is an amazing show. It has a complex storyline and characters, realistic special effects, and an incredibly accurate view into the human soul. Now, talking about morality, you need to use your own judgement as to whether or not you can handle the show. Some adults would need to leave the room at violence a twelve-year-old would barely flinch at. Most of the gory scenes are censored, the most disturbing one I recall seeing on camera being a guy coughing up razor blades. As for sexual content there are a few vanilla sex scenes with plenty warning to skip through. One of the characters, Dean, who alludes to sexual content the most, does it to hide how much he's effected by emotional trauma (one example being when he knew he was going to die soon he engaged in more questionable activities. The main characters have fairly good core ethics and any religious content is clearly separated from real religions (like their portrayal of angels, demons, and Satan himself)
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2016

Great show

I'm sure not many parents are going to think much of a review by a kid, but I hope this helps convince you anyway. Supernatural is a very good show. It revolves around the brotherly love Sam and Dean have for each other and the belief that you can make your own destiny. There is violence, but it is not promoted or idolized in the show. Sam and Dean are always making an effort to protect the innocent civilians and are always fighting against the forces of evil that come into play in our every day lives. There is not an excessive amount of drinking or sex, but whenever it does come up, it is not promoted and the characters are of age. I think that the good messages, funny exchanges, and dramatic scenes are good enough to trump the violence and drinking. There isn't much swearing, the worse being "hell", "ass", "bitch", and "s--t". If your child is mature enough to handle fantasy violence then this show is not a bad choice.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfiore.ragazza July 11, 2016

What age is appropriate to start watching Supernatural?

Yes, there is a lot of violence. Some words of profane are used (in relation to God) Words, such as: Ass, Dick, Bitch, Hell, Slut, Whore are used quite often throughout the series. There are make out sessions , but nothing graphic. Its an amazing show and I highly recommend, that is, if you can deal with blood and violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygravity_dog July 11, 2016
I believe that the show has limits. if your child has problems with violence or anything like that. this really isn't a show for them. it really depends on your child level of muturity
Teen, 13 years old Written byIamJohnlocked July 11, 2016

Awesome

The only thing bad about this show is nothing. Sam is truly an amazing person, while on the other hand Dean is a total bad-ass, but their journey through the "family business" is very exciting.
Teen, 13 years old Written by605863m July 6, 2016

You won't believe my mother

its not even that bad...
Teen, 14 years old Written byTemperanceBrennan July 1, 2016

Sex and Violence v. Love

Okay, Supernatural has more than a few problems. Drinking, sex, urgh. Many people see those and tend to overlook how great the show really is. No one is unredeemable. You have free will, so you have to make your choices count. Don't let depression stop you from living your life. People who are different from you aren't always evil. Everyone needs to be loved. You are not alone, because people care about you and don't want to loose you. Supernatural has deep roots in family and love. The show gets better as it ages for equality. The brothers work alongside women like Jody, Donna, Billie, Jo, Charlie, and Rowena. There are many good LGBT characters. Even though representation of POC, LGBT, and others are debatable, the show has come so far since it began, maturing along with the years. If you want to find one of the best fandoms in the world, look no further. They don't call themselves a fandom anymore, because they're a family. They support each other and have saved so many lives over the years. The show has started many fundraisers, mostly for depression, but also there was just one called 'Wayward AF' for equality of gender. There is no smoking by any main characters, and only parallels to drug use.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygigi1155 June 28, 2016
Teen, 13 years old Written byLJ2020 June 23, 2016

AMAZING AND WILL GET YOU HOOKED!

Ever since I started watching supernatural about a year ago, I have loved it! It is safe to say it is one of my, and many other peoples favorite TV shows. Although it contains lots of gory, and often times freaky material as well as some occasional inappropriate humor that might turn away some audiences, that is never a problem as this show entails helpful and deep life messages that I believe have changed me for the better! The ingenious writers also lighten the mood by posing humor in tense situations. That makes me, and so many others laugh everyday!! And not only Is it funny... it is UNEXPLAINIABLY excellent on so many levels. From all of the situations that the two brothers get themselves into, and the crazy plot-twists, to the vivacious characters who make every episode worth watching, Supernatural really is an awesome must-see!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byreveal June 16, 2016

Supernatural

Teen, 13 years old Written byK128 June 14, 2016

Ages 12 and up will enjoy

It really depends on how scared you get. If you are prone to having nightmares after watching something scary, this is not the show for you. There is nothing too sexual in this show for viewers who are mature enough to handle things like that (5-6th grade are usually mature enough). There aren't too many bad words besides "bitch" , but again, if your child likes to repeat inappropriate words, this is not the show for him/her. Overall this is a very good show.