Terrifying guilty pleasure is iffy for sensitive teens.

Teen, 17 years old Written byLukeMoriarty April 15, 2015

Way to much violence

Around season 6 is where I stopped watching there was to much violence and gore its not that is scary its just you get kind of grossed out watching it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLeilabeth October 20, 2013

Love it!

Ok so I personally adore this show. It's definitely my all time favorite. I started watching it when I was 13 and I mean I was a fairly mature 13 year old and I didn't have any issues with blood, gore or sexual themes. But if you do (especially with gore as there's a LOT of stabbing and beheading and pretty much anything you can think of) then I do not suggest you watch this. However if you don't then go for it! And don't watch it if you scare easily... The first few seasons are the scariest but all the seasons are crucial to watch. It's currently in the ninth season (the third episode is airing this coming Tuesday) and the other eight are on Netflix.
Teen, 15 years old Written byIWatchTooMuchTv October 8, 2013

LOVE this show.

This is a show that really just depends on the person. If you have a week stomach, I wouldn't recommend it ( as there are beheadings, plenty of blood splatters, sometimes gruesome bodies, and the likes.) However, horror wise, its often toned down by several comical moments throughout the episode. I get frightened easily with ghost movies, but this show doesn't scare me at all. Besides the violence there is an occasional sex scene, but often times they're not very graphic. There are quite a few references though, usually for a comical reason. But they aren't very crude, and could possibly go over younger teens heads. There's controversy over how bad of role models the Winchesters are. True, the boys (especially Dean), have a very casual attitude towards sex, enjoy a beer, and dont feel very remorseful towards killing (though they kill things to save people). But personally, I think that's what makes them such great characters.They aren't almighty heroes. They seem real. And when it comes down to it, they do what they do to save lives. And the boys would do ANYTHING for each other, which offers up some very strong messages about the importance of family. As for drinking and drugs, the Winchesters enjoy a beer about every episode, but are rarely shown getting drunk. Demon's blood is acted as a drug, but its not glorified and is shown to overall have gruesome effects. To sum it all up, if you can stomach it, I highly recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old September 19, 2013

Fantastic!

Supernatural is a great show for people who love a good scare. Parents and children alike enjoy this show, but if you don't take scary movies well, Supernatural is not for you. I first saw it when I was 10 or 11 and found it scary but fantastic. It contains A LOT of violence eg. Chopping off heads, burning bodies e.t.c. It contains some swearing... Mostly 'son of a b*****'. The protagonist, Dean, is often seen at a pub getting drunk or drinking a lot. Some episodes contain sex but it is very easy to predict by telling your child to close their eyes. Not much is seen in the sex scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymisfits1013 March 16, 2013

Depends on the viewer...

I love this show! Great characters, great writing, and creepy. This is the perfect show for anyone who is a horror fan. Now to the content...I personally think the iffy for 16 rating is a little extreme. Some episodes are may be okay for kids 13 and up. But as the series goes on, the more gory it gets. I have been very surprised at some of the more disturbing episodes later on in the show ("Family Remains" is one to watch out for). I've seen up to season 8, but there have been a couple torture scenes so far (nothing is really shown in great detail, but is still very dark and disturbing). To name a few of the gorier stuff that occurs in most episodes: people get teeth pulled, nails ripped out, a guy starts peeling his face away, lots of beheading, necks and wrists getting slit, any episode involving witchcraft is gruesome, disturbing shots of dismembered or eaten corpses, a surplus of blood and plenty more. Expect to see some things you'd normally see in a R rated horror film. And the beginning of every episode usually features something scary or gory. Not to mention the language gradually gets more noticeable as well: b***h (which is used all the time in every episode), ass, d**k, some uses of s**t and f**k but they are either implied or bleeped. Dean occasionally uses the word, mofo (which stands for motherf***er). As for sexual content, nothing too bad. Sometimes the dialog can be explicit. It's mostly Dean's references. Occasionally the characters go to a strip club on a case. There is usually one or two sex scenes every season, but they are not overly explicit. Last but not least, drinking. The characters drink in most episodes. Dean and Sam occasionally get drunk. Bobby is always drinking and referred to as a drunk by characters. Overall, I'm giving this a 15 and up. The first two seasons are probably okay for 14, 13, and maybe 12. Season 4 is particularly violent and seasons 4-5 will most likely offend people who are very religious. Overall, the main concern is the violence (I know some adults who can't even handle it). It depends on the episode as well. Some of the story lines can be disturbing enough without the added gore. Know your kid and watch out for most of the episodes in later seasons. Hope I've helped. :)
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2012

THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!

I love the show, i watch it all the time with my parents and they love it too. Kids that cant handle violence maybe shouldnt be watching it but kids that are more mature should definatley watch it. I know the show isnt real. There are no sex parts and they dont smoke. Parents that think it shouldnt be for 12 year olds, you should really back off. You obviously havent watched it.... they only kill monsters so i know its not real. I LOVE THE SHOW! And i think 12 year olds should watch it too. If your child wants to watch it let them because it would be stupid if they didnt!!
Parent Written byjhowse May 16, 2012

Good show but lots of violence and language

Teen, 17 years old Written bythefalconater June 23, 2011

hot guys from where I'm from?!? I think....YES

Dude...this show rocks. I love Jared, Jensen and Misha. Probably one of the best shows ever. No joke. If you aren't sure about watching it, go watch the supernatural bloopers on youtube and from that you can decide. The only funny thing about this show is that all these really fat and ugly lonely people watch it (not everyone, but a lot are), so that means we have to start getting people who are the opposite of that to watch it so the supernatural people don't feel like losers at the conventions. J2 + collins = osum
Teen, 16 years old Written bybethroxy January 13, 2011
Love this show. "Guilty pleasure"? No, it's just a good show. My parents used to let me watch this when I was 11. It scared me pretty badly back then, but now it doesn't scare me at all, and it's my favourite show. Don't let kids under 13 watch this TV show. It can get pretty brutal, and it is a question of age aswell as maturity as to whether you should let your child watch this show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjhae September 4, 2010

Good for the mature teen.

Kid, 10 years old January 12, 2010

Not for young kids.

If you can handle it, you can watch it. Very gory in some scenes, violent scariness. I watch a few episodes sometimes but my parents watch it first.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A Great Plot, Keeps you wondering what will happen next

Adult Written byact5221 April 9, 2008

Good for adults, HORRIBLE for kids/teens

This is a good horror/sci-fi show that gets too gory quite often. I like the brothers and love Jensen Ackles (that's why I started watching the show) but this is definately a show that kids/teens should NOT watch. We are a very desensitized nation and this only furthers that. So while I like the show, I do think that the tension is better than the flat-out gore.
Kid, 12 years old March 18, 2017

BEST SHOW EVER

I love supernatural. there is sex scenes but only partial nudity. Swear words are used but it makes the characters themselves. lots of violence but what do you expect when they're killing monsters. Dean does drink... a lot. If you're really religious dont watch because lucifer is adorable. dean is very bad ass and sam is a nerd. Castiel is a amazing angel that is in love with dean ( destiel is realzz ). yeah... thats it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMamerrill March 11, 2017

I love this show.

This show has gotten me through a lot, and the fanbase is truly supportive and wonderful. The cast is hilarious, kind and all the fans are really family like. The show itself has it's scary moments but it also has some funny and emotional parts as well. I really recommend.
Teen, 15 years old Written byzoeolsen March 4, 2017

I literly love this TV series!

Although the behaviour of Dean can get a little out of hand with the objectification of woman and the swearing but it's no worse than real life. It's not right but it's just a television show and if your not mature enough to know it's not right don't watch it. Though me personally I cannot get enough of the tv show and I recommend it to anyone's who MATURE enough to watch it.
Adult Written bySyd D. February 19, 2017
Teen, 15 years old Written bywinchestersalvatore4 February 14, 2017

One of my favorite shows of all time

Supernatural is a really great show with an interesting plot and fun characters. You really get to know and love the characters, good and bad. There are some sex scenes that I would not suggest for younger audiences as well as cursing in every episode. This really is an awesome show and I suggest it to audiences 13 or 14+ that enjoy drama, action, humor, a bit of romance, and a bit of sci-fi/mythology.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygeke2001 February 1, 2017

The best

Supernatural is the best, yes i know, there's violence and scary moments but a teen of 13 could easily whatch it without beeing totaly scared. There are scary moments but there is almost always a good end. My sister (13) also find it totally amazing although my other sister (10) find it a bit scary. I, I love it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byIMF Member January 31, 2017

Oh come on! 16 and up, really?

I've been watching this show from season one on Netflix and I'm 13. I've been watching it since I was 12 and I'll let you know, no mental scaring! I have friends who have been watching it since they where 10-11. Now my sister watches it and shes 10. This show has been a life changer, for the better. I think 12 and up is good. It just depends on if your mature or not. If so 10-11.