I'm 12 years old (maybe a bit young yes) but Supernatural is my FAVORITE show - and this is a book and TV-aholic writing this.
While I love Books, I do like TV and Films too. I love shows like Doctor Who, Merlin, LOST, Sherlock; and film wise The Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter and almost any Superhero film. While that's just me, the majority of my friends and family who like SPN love the shows/films mentioned too.
SPN has a GREAT sense of humour, a lot better than the Toilet humour popular currently.
- Any adult/s*x/(codeword) 'Frickle-Frackle' scenes aren't graphic, and you can easily skip 1 or 2 minutes ahead to avoid watching them. There aren't that many anyway.
- The show isn't for anyone who doesn't like Blood or Violence. You have to be prepared for that. And prepared for any beloved characters goodbye, so basically be sure to stock up on Kleenex. I'm pretty sure I've been through a few boxes by now; and I'm not a very emotional person.
- There is strong language, but it's not as if you can avoid that in real life. My dad and brother are fine with swearing, as long as I don't repeat it.
- There is drinking, but no characters been drunk (excluding one, but it was a comedic scene, which was priceless xD )
- There are some great messages, the main one being: 'Family doesn't end with blood'.
There are great characters, great humour, amazing plot twists, fantastic character development and cliffhangers that make you want to scream at the TV in denial, or sit there dumbfounded for hours (no exaggeration, I had one SPOILED for me, and I still sat there with my mouth open).
It's a great quality show, and if you're really concerned - watch it with your kids. If not then your missing out.