Terrifying guilty pleasure is iffy for sensitive teens.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymisfits1013 March 16, 2013

Depends on the viewer...

I love this show! Great characters, great writing, and creepy. This is the perfect show for anyone who is a horror fan. Now to the content...I personally think the iffy for 16 rating is a little extreme. Some episodes are may be okay for kids 13 and up. But as the series goes on, the more gory it gets. I have been very surprised at some of the more disturbing episodes later on in the show ("Family Remains" is one to watch out for). I've seen up to season 8, but there have been a couple torture scenes so far (nothing is really shown in great detail, but is still very dark and disturbing). To name a few of the gorier stuff that occurs in most episodes: people get teeth pulled, nails ripped out, a guy starts peeling his face away, lots of beheading, necks and wrists getting slit, any episode involving witchcraft is gruesome, disturbing shots of dismembered or eaten corpses, a surplus of blood and plenty more. Expect to see some things you'd normally see in a R rated horror film. And the beginning of every episode usually features something scary or gory. Not to mention the language gradually gets more noticeable as well: b***h (which is used all the time in every episode), ass, d**k, some uses of s**t and f**k but they are either implied or bleeped. Dean occasionally uses the word, mofo (which stands for motherf***er). As for sexual content, nothing too bad. Sometimes the dialog can be explicit. It's mostly Dean's references. Occasionally the characters go to a strip club on a case. There is usually one or two sex scenes every season, but they are not overly explicit. Last but not least, drinking. The characters drink in most episodes. Dean and Sam occasionally get drunk. Bobby is always drinking and referred to as a drunk by characters. Overall, I'm giving this a 15 and up. The first two seasons are probably okay for 14, 13, and maybe 12. Season 4 is particularly violent and seasons 4-5 will most likely offend people who are very religious. Overall, the main concern is the violence (I know some adults who can't even handle it). It depends on the episode as well. Some of the story lines can be disturbing enough without the added gore. Know your kid and watch out for most of the episodes in later seasons. Hope I've helped. :)
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2012

THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!

I love the show, i watch it all the time with my parents and they love it too. Kids that cant handle violence maybe shouldnt be watching it but kids that are more mature should definatley watch it. I know the show isnt real. There are no sex parts and they dont smoke. Parents that think it shouldnt be for 12 year olds, you should really back off. You obviously havent watched it.... they only kill monsters so i know its not real. I LOVE THE SHOW! And i think 12 year olds should watch it too. If your child wants to watch it let them because it would be stupid if they didnt!!
Parent Written byjhowse May 16, 2012

Good show but lots of violence and language

Teen, 17 years old Written bythefalconater June 23, 2011

hot guys from where I'm from?!? I think....YES

Dude...this show rocks. I love Jared, Jensen and Misha. Probably one of the best shows ever. No joke. If you aren't sure about watching it, go watch the supernatural bloopers on youtube and from that you can decide. The only funny thing about this show is that all these really fat and ugly lonely people watch it (not everyone, but a lot are), so that means we have to start getting people who are the opposite of that to watch it so the supernatural people don't feel like losers at the conventions. J2 + collins = osum
Teen, 16 years old Written bybethroxy January 13, 2011
Love this show. "Guilty pleasure"? No, it's just a good show. My parents used to let me watch this when I was 11. It scared me pretty badly back then, but now it doesn't scare me at all, and it's my favourite show. Don't let kids under 13 watch this TV show. It can get pretty brutal, and it is a question of age aswell as maturity as to whether you should let your child watch this show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjhae September 4, 2010

Good for the mature teen.

Kid, 10 years old January 12, 2010

Not for young kids.

If you can handle it, you can watch it. Very gory in some scenes, violent scariness. I watch a few episodes sometimes but my parents watch it first.
Adult Written byact5221 April 9, 2008

Good for adults, HORRIBLE for kids/teens

This is a good horror/sci-fi show that gets too gory quite often. I like the brothers and love Jensen Ackles (that's why I started watching the show) but this is definately a show that kids/teens should NOT watch. We are a very desensitized nation and this only furthers that. So while I like the show, I do think that the tension is better than the flat-out gore.
Adult Written byAriaIsabella December 4, 2016

I've been watching this for a whole decade

Back in 2006, I was just an 11 year-old girl, and my younger sister was nine years old. But we loved drama and mystery stories, so, while it was marketed towards older teens and adults, our mom let us watch it... actually she was the one that told us that we would like it. And we did like it. We basically grew up with this series. Sure, most kids at that age (tweens) are immature and should not watch this, but for mature kids (that understand how most of the world works, notice the differences between real and fantasy, and that know this is just a series), I believe it's ok. Yes, Dean is a "womanizer". Yes, there is blood, killings and gore everywhere. Also, there are demons, angels, things that question Christian religion, witches, spells, and the like, but if you know who you are, there's nothing wrong. I actually tolerate zero violence in real life, I'm the girl that fights even for a dog or a cat in distress. But well, I was also the 7 year old reading Time, Newsweek and other "adult" stuff while other kids were too sheltered and scared of the real world.
Kid, 11 years old November 20, 2016

Really great show!

Sometimes there are a few sex scenes, but you can always skip those. There are also some inappropriate things said by Dean, however, they can easily be ignored. Plenty of gore is in the show, but it's never very realistic, though if you have a weak stomach you might want to avoid this show. I really liked how Sam and Dean are good friends/brothers, and they act like how me and my siblings are sometimes! I love the show so much and I hope that your age doesn't restrict you from watching it if you are mature mentally.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythered_alpaca November 12, 2016

Good For most kids

This is by far one of my favorite shows ever. Definitely OK for teens for tweens it is more of a know your kid basis.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNancy L November 4, 2016

Wonderful plot, easy to handle show with some darker themes in later seasons

I think that while I agree with what others are saying about having good values, I don't know if I necessarily believe we're thinking about the same values. This show does promote good family values, but probably in a different form than they're thinking of. It shows that 1. You choose your family. Bobby and Cas are not related by blood to Sam and Dean in any way, shape or form, yet they are still family to them. 2. Abuse has many forms. For example, while people joke about John Winchester's A+ parenting, no one really talks about the fact that he was canonically emotionally and probably physically abusive to at least Dean, and probably would've been to Sam if he'd spent enough time around him. I take that back, it seems that after Sam and Dean got old enough to go on hunts, John spent more time with them because then they were useful. And with that time, this is when he becomes abusive to not only Dean, but Sam. 3. You can have unhealthy relationships of any kind. It is mentioned multiple times throughout the show that Sam and Dean's willingness to sacrifice their own lives many times over for each other is unhealthy to the utmost extreme. There's being willing to die for someone else, and then there's being so codependent on each other that you decide you can't live without the other, taking your life completely for granted, and risking it to stop something that has already happened. Sam and Dean don't have a romantic relationship, but that doesn't mean that their relationship can't be healthy, and I think that is something that needs to be known. 4. Drinking and bottling up your problems never works. Dean Winchester has his own patented method of dealing with feelings: Don't talk about them, don't acknowledge them, and drink your liver to death (honestly that guy probably would've been dead in real life by about season 5 for the drinking alone). The thing is, this has never worked for Dean. He builds the thickest wall that he can, and then tries to repair the cracks with chewing gum and duct tape (aka alcohol and sex). When the dam lets loose, he makes the stupidest decisions possible, which he wouldn't have made if he had talked to Bobby, Cas, or Sam about these things. He might not even have to talk about them, he would do so much better if he just acknowledged the fact that he does, in fact, have emotions. And for the people hounding it about cursing: it's not being vulgar, it's being as realistic as a tv-14 show can be. Whenever I've watched Stargate, or Stargate Atlantis, I was struck by not the fact they didn't use very strong curse words (I knew that it was a tv show with limited language), but how little they cursed. These people are being thrust into a world you wouldn't survive a minute in, they can curse if they want. If you wanted a show about two gary sues living by the law and having no mental repercussions inflicted on them by their job then you've come to the wrong place. The show is as realistic as a show about two people hunting demons can be. Though I would like to tell you that the show can be very creepy at times, and during a select few scenes, there may be scenes of injury or death that make you uncomfortable (a hand getting ground up in the garbage disposal(not shown) or a razor that gets stuck in the roof of someone's mouth). I would not say that Sam and Dean are people to model yourselves after, both having either an an alcohol problem, or addiction, or various other issues that while round the character out more, are not good characteristics.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusiclover282lr November 4, 2016

Really good show for young teens and adults alike

I think that they exaggerate the rating. As long as the person watching this can handle some violence and paranormal activity and mild swearing I think they should be okay to watch this. The first 2/3 seasons are very mild and is just a little more violent and less cheesy version of Ghost Whisperer. Dean is a lady's man and will make some occasional remarks about a woman's outfit or appearance. Very occasional swearing with words such as the b word or s word. Occasional glimpses of monsters or paranormal creatures. Overall I would rate this 13/14 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySashaKrazz October 30, 2016

The age depend on the sensitivity of the person.

Supernatural is a great show. The first few season are the scariest, but as the show goes on, the episodes focus more on the plot and the bond between brothers that scaring the audience. This show does have mild sexuality, and language, but, it is a good, stimulating and informational show to watch. The plot line can get confusing, but it is very interesting and will surprise at every turn. There is gore, so if you are blood sensitive, do no watch. The age limit depends on your sensitivity, and how much violence, scares and physiological messages you can handle.
Kid, 6 years old October 18, 2016
Teen, 14 years old Written bytvd.spn October 14, 2016
Kid, 12 years old October 6, 2016

Don't listen to the age rating

The age rating is so off, there is a lot of violence but it's nothing really gory and the plot is really good. You should watch this show.
Teen, 16 years old Written byThatSmuttyFangirl October 3, 2016

Really watch Supernatural its efing brilliant

I watched this on Netflix when I was 11 and totally fine with it but there were parts that freaked me out like S03 E15 time is on my side with the organ swapping doctor but if you are into stuff like arrow, Sherlock, American horror story etc you will love it
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlli200 October 1, 2016

Favorite TV Show

I love supernatural tv shows like The Haunting Hour and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so its no surprise that i love this show. In its core its a show about loving family. I don't see any reason why a teen shouldn't be allowed to watch this show. It can be a bit disturbing for some more squeamish viewers at times. and there is some language and sex but nothing most teens can't handle. Overall a great show!
Teen, 13 years old Written byflashcoolv October 1, 2016