All member reviews for Supernatural

Terrifying guilty pleasure is iffy for sensitive teens.

Adult Written bythekeywolf June 6, 2015

Not recomended for young teens, tweens or children

Its a show that has many curse words and does talk about sex so younger children and young teens shouldn't watch this without the permission of a parent or guardian who know the show well. This show also has a lot of blood and violence too, so the weak stomached or those sensitive to heads being cut off, Demons torturing and anything related should stay away from this show. I would mostly recommend this to young adults and adults.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykkhoppers June 5, 2015

I grew up watching Supernatural, at night I would watch the newest episode with my dad. That said, I was exposed to much more violence and swearing when I was younger. I didn't start watching the show on my own until I was about eleven, I was never scared or scarred by it. This is a funny show that has much to learn from.
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2015

Really good show, perfect for kids 10 and up.

Supernatural is a very good horror show for ages 10 and up. I am 10 and I know a lot of friends who watch this. Not much cursing to be honest, only sometimes they say things like "Bitch" or "Hell" (when they say "Hell" they mean the actual "Hell"). Don't worry about the Sexual stuff, theres not much in it but intentions of it. They don't even say it! Also most kids 10 and up know about "It" so it shouldn't be a big deal. But the messages of Family bonds are all in it!!
Written byAnonymous May 24, 2015

My Soul Has Been Sold- Supernatural Wrapped

Personally, I love this show. The acting is superb, and it's easy to fall into the character's personal lives and backstories. The positive messages far outweigh the negative ones. Of course, there's drinking, violence, the occasional sex scene, but it's competing with strong family bonds, close friendships, love and loss and hope. The first couple of seasons are truly splat-tastic- Season One brings back visions of old bars, one-lane highways, warbling, dark rock, smoke, guns, sleazy motels, blood, guts, gore, and some rather horrific exorcism scenes. The brother's attitudes towards women- especially Dean's -were almost degrading. 'Bitch' is an insult that tends to be tossed around a lot, as well as damn, hell, etc. Nothing too bad. The drinking, violence, and otherwise negative themes are the base for the first two seasons. Around Season Four, things become less 'let's-go-kill-some-nasties-get-drunk-pick-up-a-chick-and-drive-off-the-next-morning' and more 'I-need-you-so-much-more-than-you-could-ever-realize'. There's heart-plucking death scenes, emotional bonds that are shattered painfully, betrayal, hatred, and circumstance. In the end, I really do think it's about two brothers who just want to do good. They were forced into this because of an accident cruelly executed late at night, because of a father who really just wanted the best for them and who was so crazy with rage and grief that he ended up getting killed himself. It's hilarious, sob-inducing, wild, cold, angry, elated. It's about being brave and standing up for what you believe in. It's finding forgiveness and light in the iciest, dankest places. It's about finding your family and weaving tight friendships that nothing will be able to unravel. It's about humanity, and how not even the Devil was born evil. I think it's about the secrets of the stars.
Teen, 13 years old Written byroaringriptide May 12, 2015

Obsessed!!

I first started watching this show last year (season 1) when I was 12, and it kind of scared me because I wasn't prepared for the content in the show and after a few episodes I quit watching it... But recently I decided to give it another shot and once you get over the kind of scary suspense moments, it's a really interesting show. There's always a mystery about some mythological creature, funny jokes and Dean's obsession with pie. I'm already on season 4!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byncfenton April 29, 2015

FAVORITE

this is my favorite show of all time. yes it does include some inappropriate parts, but you could skip the inappropriate episodes if you'd like. there is a lot of violence, so if you are thinking about watching the show and can't stand seeing blood in every episode, then i would suggest not watching it. fun fact: episode 10.17 "inside man" is the only episode to not have an on-screen kill out of about 215 episodes. it has great characters and, as you see throughout the seasons, will do anything for the other brother. to add on to that, it talks a lot about heaven and hell and has angels and even lucifer in the show so if this is not to your liking than this is another reason why you might not want to watch it. otherwise, this is my favorite show and have recommended to so many people who have also loved the show.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLukeMoriarty April 15, 2015

Way to much violence

Around season 6 is where I stopped watching there was to much violence and gore its not that is scary its just you get kind of grossed out watching it.
Adult Written byvinnyc1 April 14, 2015

This Is For Kids Ten And Up Read Why

Ok First there is no nudity in the show. Second if your child doesn't like blood or gore this is not the show for them. The characters are good role models because they will literally do anything for one another please take this in consideration
Teen, 13 years old Written byspnfan987 April 13, 2015

Supernatural

Supernatural is my favourite TV show. I'm really, really obsessed with it at the moment. Defiantly consider watching it if you're 13 and up, I have no idea what they mean by it being 'iffy for 16-17 year olds'. It's not that violent, but when it is you can tell that isn't real. I don't find it at all scary. There isn't that bad swearing but they do use words like 'Bitch' and 'Ass' and other swear words but not really any worse than that, and I don't consider them as horrendously bad. It's not that sexual, I mean there's only like one sex scene once a season if that and little to no nudity. Dean especially does talk about sex etc quite a bit but you can just ignore that. I also don't know what they mean by no positive messages or role models. It's all about family, and what's bad about that???!!! Sam and Dean are really strong characters and Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are really good actors, like they were made for the role. The best character is Castiel (Misha Collins) though! He is really great and it is worth the wait until season 4. All the seasons are equally good but season 7 does have its problems. I HIGHLY recommend Supernatural. WATCH IT!
Teen, 13 years old Written byokie.doki.loki April 10, 2015

Not good for younger children

I love this show, I really do. But sometimes, they go a little over the top. Parents need to know that there are frequent sexual references, and huge amounts of gore in each episode. Amazing show, but defiantly not for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBellatrix-Lestrange March 22, 2015

This is one of my favorite shows

Appropriate for mature 13 year old and above. The first season is one of the darkest, and the scariest. After that, it has a lot of comedy. There is violence, but their special effects are not the best. There is a minimal amount of sexual content, and nothing explicit.
Kid, 11 years old March 18, 2015

Entertaining with a Good Message!

I love Supernatural! Although it can get slightly scary for some kids/teens/adults and can sometimes be innapropriate, there is a great overall message and is just fantastic!
Teen, 16 years old Written bydevinq March 18, 2015

Not for those who get scared easily

Supernatural is a FANTASTIC show. The seamless blend of comedy, suspense, action and great plot is superb. I started watching the show aged 15, and I would say around 14/15 is usually an appropriate age to watch. It completely depends on the maturity of your children, though - the show does get scary, and some may find it TOO scary. Usually it's just a few jump scares, but it's not the kind of show you'd watch alone at night. There are a lot of sexual references in the show, and some scenes of sexual nature. However, there is no nudity, so I don't think it's anything a teen couldn't handle. Again, it all depends on their maturity. The violence isn't as graphic as some shows I've seen, but there is a little bit of gore - nothing that makes you look away, but I repeat - it depends on how mature your kids are. The language isn't terrible, nothing too taboo, just the occasional "bitch, hell, ass" etc. The show itself has some pretty good messages, and a nice demonstration of good vs. evil. Overall, if your child is over 13 and responsible enough, they should enjoy the show.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycarmenr March 11, 2015

Amazing show

Supernatural is a great show to watch- unlike a lot of other shows, it manages to smoothly incorporate tons of humor and great lines in with the darker, more serious parts. It also has amazing character depth and the main characters are all funny in their own way and likable- keep in mind that this show has managed to keep going for 10 seasons now, but still has a developing, growing, and intriguing plot throughout its seasons. As a fantasy show, its world is mainly built around mythology, and it consistently introduces new creatures and information, building and adding new layers of mythology. Some of its episodes are a monster-of-the-week format type, while others continue the plot. What's really amazing is how unlimited this show is- it's had episodes where they travel to a dimension and meet actors of their own show shooting an episode of Supernatural, one with an evil clown, a LARPing episode, one where they're stuck in TV land. There's even a saying, sort of, that Supernatural has a gif for everything- basically, think of any situation, object, or cultural reference and Supernatural will have a gif for it. Google it. Some downsides of this show is that it's mostly white male centered- every female important to the plot has been killed off so far but for two or three, and there are only really two main cast members (recently two more were added, but they don't appear every episode). So there's not a wide variety of main characters, and dying/violence is obviously an issue, but in general they don't go into much detail- most people should be okay with it. There's also some swearing, and maybe three sex scenes (but no actual nudity) in the entire show, nothing too bad. I would definitely recommend this show. It's one of the few that manage to balance a great plot, likable characters, spot on humor, as well as tear-jerking scenes- often all in one episode.
Teen, 13 years old Written bychawitte March 1, 2015

I'm 13 and I started watching this show about a year ago. I think it really depends on the kid, but I loved it. There are a few sex references, and a lot of violence, but I still love it. PS the show gets better as the seasons progress.
Kid, 11 years old February 21, 2015

An excellent TV series

Just a FEW sexual scenes but I skip it so who cares. It may be a bit creepy and violent but if you are okay with it, it's fine. SPN is AWESOME because it tells us that family doesn't end with blood. ANYWAY, JUST WATCH IT (if you aren't really bothered about crazy demons, monsters, hot-angels-in-trench-coats). IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. NOT. JOKING.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBooklover1231 February 21, 2015

Commonsense has it wrong

Honestly, this show is perfection. I don't think it's iffy for ages 16 and under. That's just plain stupid. There is some sexual content, but it isn't graphic at all. No nudity, just kissing. There is violence, but kids these days are used to violent things. NOT A BIG DEAL!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylilypadawan February 21, 2015

Somewhat Problematic But a Great Watch

Okay so the review up top says that kids and tweens are out. Honestly, if you are mature and can handle a little swearing and a some sexual references you're fine. There is a lot of violence and some particularly gross sequences but most can tolerate it. In terms of quality, the first two seasons weren't the best but by season three I was really into it. If you're just starting to watch it, I suggest watching only the necessary episodes of seasons one and two (the pilot, season finales etc.) and then going right ahead to season three. Season four is where it really picks up and after that it's great until season seven (at least in my opinion). In terms of the female characters, there aren't many which is extremely annoying and unfortunate. Also, there are some filler/ monster of the week episodes due to the fact that there are 22 episodes per season. If that's not your jam then you will probably not enjoy at the least the first couple of seasons of the show. Dean and Sam (and eventually Cas) each have their issues (addiction, parental issues etc.) which ultimately make you heavily invested in their wellbeing. There are a lot of problems with this show (and its subsequent fandom if you're into that sort of thing) but once you're invested in the characters there is no going back. It'll be interesting to see if the lack of prominent female characters is remedied in the eleventh season (my guess is no).
Teen, 14 years old Written bymysticroyals February 14, 2015

My favorite show

I dont get how this show could in any way be inappropriate for teens over 12. I've been watching this show since I was 10. It is not scary, (well not anymore at least) There's some drinking, and a couple sex scenes, but those are mostly in early seasons and are not graphic. I think its a great show, and its also really funny, so it deserves a chance.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMoonlight10198 February 8, 2015

Amazing show, but CAUTION

For those kids and parents who've only watched a little bit and say there isn't any sexual content other than some things the boys say, IT DOES HAVE SOME VERY EXPLICIT SEX. Bad enough that I, a 16 year old, would skip scenes because of it. While I don't know exactly where it starts, Dean, and later Sam, are in some very inappropriate situations. I would definitely NOT LET A CHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 15 WATCH (and only at 15 if you KNOW YOUR CHILD VERY WELL and they understand what is ok and what is not, especially if you're Christian, as the show revolves around the existence of demons and only in the fourth season does the existence of God ever really come to light - though we find out earlier that Sam believes in God already while Dean is a pretty adamant atheist. In this, questions such as "how can a loving God let all this happen" come up, so you may want to talk to your child about this beforehand). As for violence, it's pretty much the basis of the show. Some creatures are really scary, and while I'm not squeamish some of the images and violent parts are really disturbing. Ex) At one point someone gets their heart ripped from their chest while they're still alive (it's very painstaking and he's completely conscious the entire time), and at many points people get their head sawed/ripped/sliced off, a lot of gruesome deaths, decaying corpses, decayed skeletons, horrible crimes humans commit (rape, murder, hiding bodies)... so in all know your child very well. If you still want to let them watch the show (and it's an amazing show to be sure), it might be better if you WATCH IT WITH THEM (with a black towel handy) or WATCH IT BEFORE THEM (in episodes would probably be easier, as there are 10 seasons and by the time you'd finish they'd probably be young adults anyway). As for language, it's nothing more than you might hear walking down the hallway in high school (though in saying this I'm admitting that it can be pretty bad, although I'm pretty sure they've never dropped an F-bomb). As role models, Sam is a pretty good one (in the beginning, at least), not wanting to kill innocents if possible, and not as sexually casual as Dean, though the first episode shows him living with a girl in college. Dean is less of a good role model, but if you can get past him being an explicit player and violent monster hunter, you can see that he has a lot of problems and has a hard time talking to Sam about his feelings. As for drugs and alcohol, THEY DRINK QUITE A BIT (casually, usually, though sometimes they might actually get drunk for certain reasons). The only drug reference I can think of is when they use it as a cover for having to fight a possessed bus driver. Also, the boys usually do some other illegal things, such as using many fake identities and badges and credit cards. They pickpocket and break into houses and burn corpses in cemeteries (to destroy vengeful spirits). So be careful with this show, and know your kid. Otherwise it's a very action packed show with thrilling horror and an awesome (though very dark) plot.