All member reviews for Supernatural

Terrifying guilty pleasure is iffy for sensitive teens.

Parent Written byFelicity1983 January 2, 2016

Know-Your-Child entertainment

My children are 5, 7, and 15. We often watch this show together and love it. But, like the description states, it is a know-your-kid thing. We explain to our younger children that it is a show and that it does not depict any true circumstances or events.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPopfun123 December 25, 2015

Depends on how scared you get

I think that this tv show should be based on how you personally think you can handle it. The show is scary and has jump scares and scary topics but not as much as a horror movie. If you get scared easily don't watch it but if you don't go right ahead. The show is also pretty gory but not that inappropriate.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysydneyhowell December 23, 2015

This show is so good!

I let my little sister watch this show and she loves it because she loves the action and adventure! Disney channel shows are lame now a days. This has some real action! Dean is a good role model!
Teen, 14 years old Written byAnangryreviewer December 14, 2015

The insider look.

Okay, I'll be honest. Yes, Supernatural does contain drinking, swearing, mind sex scenes, and intense violence. But, and that's a very strong but, it also contains good role models and messages. It annoys me when people say that women are just objects in this show. Yes, it does portray prostitutes, but it has so much more for girls to look up to. Ellen & Jo Harvelle, who never let a man tell them what to do or boss them around. Charlie Bradbury, who stood up to one of the most terrifying creatures in existence to save others. Lisa Braedon, who had the courage to confront her boyfriend about yelling at her child, something many women wouldn't have the nerve to do. I could go on with side characters. But if you're looking for a wonderful show that portrays two loving brothers who, however many mistakes they make, will always accept each other back with open arms? Not to mention expert plotlines, wonderful actors, and kick-butt ladies? This is it.
Parent of a 7, 11, 14, and 17 year old Written byMooseGirl4234 October 29, 2015

Let me say somethan

Yes Supernatural has sex, excessive alcohol, violence, crude humor, and bad language. But, saying that there are no positive messages or role models is crap. Supernatural is about two brothers who have went through hell together. Sam and Dean grew up with a crappy life but they keep on keepin on. They risk their lives day after day after day for people who don't know or care about them. And they do it selflessly. They have to deal with situations where there is no hope and still have the strength to find the hope to continue doing what they do. They have lost family and friends and they hate themselves for it. But it doesn't stop them. They always keep fighting, And I don't know about you, but I want my kids to keep on keepin on even when their life gets rough. I want my kids to be able to find hope and courage when there isn't any left. Supernatural is a wonderful show with a strong message about hope, courage, bravery, sacrifice, and family. It teaches so many positive messages with the best of characters. Dean, for example. Dean grew up a soldier. His father trained him to be a killer and to protect Sammy. Dean raised his younger brother Sammy to be a good man, he protected him. Dean does have his issues, everyone has issues. Yes Dean does objectify women more than he should. But that doesn't mean he doesn't respect them. Dean Winchester has had his ass handed to him time after time after time from other women. Yes, Dean is an alcoholic, but again everyone has issues. Plus he is recovering now. Dean has also killed many people and sometimes has lost himself to the darkness, but he has saved so many people. So many children and families are alive today because of Dean Winchester. He doesn't ask for thanks. He doesn't even pride himself on his accomplishments. Because he can't. Dean thinks he is worth less than the mud on the bottom of his shoes. He hates himself because of the ones he couldn't save. Again, he's working on recovering from that. Sam. Sam is an intelligent, kind, and independent character. He protects his brother and has sacrificed himself and his sanity for the fate of the world. Twice. Sammy has faults too though. Sometimes his judgement is clouded and he does all the wrong things for all the right reasons. But he is working on that. The Winchesters are not perfect, but they are good. And if my kids were to grow up and be half the men that they are, I'd be proud. So maybe if people would stop looking at their mistakes, they could see the good in them and what they have to offer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarkHax10 October 25, 2015

Definitely not for kids under 13

First off, it's not for kids under 13 years old; there's just to much nudity, violence and drugs. 13-14 years old is okay, just as long as you talk with them before hand and straighten everything out about what's going to be in the show. 15+ is perfectly fine, just with the occasional talk or so. On to the actual show, there's a lot of violence. This show is basically about hunting monsters and killing them, so there's obviously going to be a lot of violence. There's also quite a bit of nudity, as the one of the protagonists, Dean, is quite lustful towards woman and therefore, a bunch of sex scenes. Dean and his brother Sam (and basically most other hunters) are quite the drinkers in terms of alcohol. With this being a mature show, there's going to be a lot of swearing, so be ready for that. That aside, the actual show is really, really good. It's a fun, funny, and enigmatic show, leaving you to guess what's going to happen next. It explores a lot of different mythologies, but it mainly focuses on the christian faith, so if you're of faith, you should consider that, because you're mainly going to become the butt of the joke. Overall it's a fun and awesome show to watch, but watch out for the faith part.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytheroadsofar October 20, 2015

My favourite

First of all, I want to say that I started watching this show when I was twelve and I was not bothered by it in any way. Then again, I'm not easily bothered by anything anyways which is why I think 13 would be a good age to start with. Like many people have said, it really is a know-your-kid/self situation. The show is beautifully made and there are a lot of great points about family. However, the violence is the only and main concern here. There are frequent beheadings, stabbings, and shootings, almost all are on screen. While it can be pretty graphic, unless you or your child are a bit squeamish then it will be okay. Language really isn't that bad, "whore", "bitch", and "damn" is all you're going to find. Sexual themes are sometimes present, but actual sex scenes? Two, maybe three times every couple of seasons. Passionate kissing and bare backs is all that's shown. The show has its flaws like every other show, but that's what makes it realistic for its genre. It's a horror show, you have to remember that. But it is between this and another show that are my favorites. It's a fantastic show about the bond between two brothers. Yes, they sometimes put themselves before the rest of the world, but who doesn't? The thing I love so much about this show is that it is so realistic about human emotion. Most shows have their characters make too perfect choices that aren't what regular people would make. The brothers value life not only amongst human kind but in the monsters they hunt. They only kill when they have to, and even if it's a vampire, they don't kill it unless it's killing people (yes there is a way around it). They care about everyone, regardless of who they are. They sacrifice a normal life and their own lives to save others and have died for humanity before. They might not be a good example in that yes, they do drink and swear a lot, and yes Dean does sexualize women at times, but in the end they are a great example in that they do put the well being of others before themselves most of the time. If everyone in the world would judge someone based off of that persons actions instead of what/who they are, there wouldn't be as much violence. The show has a lot to say about family too. There is a famous quote from a character, "family don't end in blood, boy". The show displays the truth that your family are the people who choose to trust and reply on rather than the people you were born with. It's a great show that will make you laugh hysterically or bawl your eyes out, I highly recommend it to anyone that will be able to stand the violence. Fantastic show.
Adult Written byjimmypage October 18, 2015

One of the best!

I don't understand the 16+ rating since I've been watching this show since I was 8, although obviously that depends on one's maturity. But definitely I don't think it's only for 16+! Funny at most moments, but also violent, but nothing a teenager can't handle. Although I think the latest seasons aren't as superb as its earlier seasons like 4 and 5 (best seasons I've ever seen!), it's still worth the watch.
Adult Written bylmtrav October 11, 2015

Fantastic..much beyond the horror

I love, love, love this show, and I normally am not someone who is that into the horror and sci-fi genre. I think the reason it is so great is the relationship between the two main brothers, Sam and Dean Winchester. It is very authentic and real. As someone who is very close to their siblings, I have never seen sibling relationships so well portrayed. Jared Padlecki and Jansen Ackles, who play the two brothers, have amazing chemistry, and this show is also just so funny, which I think many people do not expect. It can be pretty gory, but like I said, I love this show and normally do not like horror. My younger sister, who is 15, actually introduced me to this show. She never has had a problem with it, and I know a great number of her friends also watch it. I'd say high school age kids are fine, but if you are worried, watch it with your kids before you are sure. It is one where you just have to use your best judgement.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byCody Patterson MJO October 11, 2015

Depends on the kid

Yeah, I love the show, but I wouldn't ever turn it on until after my kids are in bed. Some eleven or twelve year olds will be just fine watching the show, especially if they watch with their parents, but most kids should probably wait until they are a year or two older, as the official rating (PG-13 / TV-14) suggests.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysupernatural_lover13 September 13, 2015

Best show ever!

I'm 1 3 and I wouldn't recommend anyone under the age of 12 watch it because it can get quite intense, if you are mature enough and won't get frightened I think it is a pretty awesome show. It's my favourite.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylilliethequeen September 10, 2015

VERY good but not for sensitive people

supernatural is one of my fave tv shows EVER and i'm so in love with it, but it's very violent and has many sexual jokes and references ( and a few sex scenes but nothing too bad ) i think if you are OK with blood, sex scenes, drinking and a few cuss words then you can watch supernatural at most ages ( about 13 and up but if you ask your parents you may be able to watch as 12) P.S i watched the season 10 trailer and dean is with a half naked dancer and he is also later in the clip in bed with a woman and there may be more stuff like this in season ten so i think season ten should be 14 + its the best supernatural ( pun intended ) show out there right now, so if you can deal with everything then you should TOTALLY WATCH! p.s.s i would not watch season ten with family cause of dean and stuff
Adult Written byTheArguingYouth September 7, 2015

To the ones who say that it's too much.

Well, first of all... it does not say women are merely tools. Where does it say that? Because the women they "use" are not doing it against their own will. I do agree with the goriness, it really depends if your child can handle gory things. If not, I would not reccomend the show, because it does contain a good amount of it. The characters, from what I have watched so far, are not good or bad role models. But, they're like in the gray of black and white, and that's how humans are. Angels and demons are a different story I guess. The characters drink, yes, but they're also hunting demons and monsters, so... yeah. I would reccomend this if your child is mature. -TheArguingYouth
Teen, 14 years old Written byIsabelle Bryant September 4, 2015

There are positive aspects to this show.

There is a great family aspect in this, brother's sticking together with the normal amount of sibling rivalry and banter. The older brother, Dean, is a protective of his younger brother, and cares about everyone in his life, if a little too much. This show teaches kids that family doesn't end with blood, and that you can't give up on everyone quickly.
Adult Written bySelena3517 September 1, 2015

BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION!

This show is great for a teen who loves the Supernatural world. If you don't think your 13 year old is mature to watch it, then watch it with him\her. Swearing is frequent but its apart of the character that the brothers have. Even though some of the killing and bloody scenes can be gruesome, the show is about two brothers killing monsters basically. If your kid is sensitive to scary monsters and gruesome scenes, then you might not need to let him/her watch it. This show is the best!
Teen, 13 years old Written byScaryTvShowsRULE August 27, 2015

Scary For Some, The Bomb For ME!

I honestly love this television series on the CW, if you are fans of TWD, TVD, Grimm, Hannibal, AHS, Once Upon A Time, Reaper, The Whispers etc... Then you should definitely watch this show, I am 14 in 1 week, and I have watched and re-watched this show since I was 12! I am not that mature for my age but then again I am not a bit squeamish and love the horror aspects of shows, especially the violence! yes there is a lot of swearing mostly by Dean but I love how they still put some lovey dovey parts included.. I started to stop watching the series at about the start of season 8 because it got boring, I don't know why but I enjoy it when Sam is kidnapped or in trouble, not because its funny because of the brotherly love when Dean ALWAYS rescue's him, especially in the season 2 episode where he meets that girl with the same demon powers as him, and the other hunters tries to kill him about 5 times, TRIES to though. My favourite season though this will sound mean and weird but I love the season when Sam comes back from Lucifer's Cage and when he gets his soul back after Castiel removes the wall when Sam starts remembering The Cage and keeps seeing Lucifer! But I HATED it when Dean went to Hell in Season 4!
Adult Written byjacquelinem1 August 26, 2015
I think this actually does have some great messages. There is a lot of violence, but otherwise 11+ is good.
Adult Written byLarnm85@yahoo.com August 21, 2015

Great show

This is my favorite tv show it makes me laugh sometimes cry and keeps me in suspense I hope the show has more years to come.
Teen, 15 years old Written bynetflixaddiction August 18, 2015

A Great Show, Depends on Viewer

Supernatural is a fantastic show! Some episodes can have violence, swearing (Dean mostly), and creepy plot lines about the creature it is focusing on but it depends on the person watching the show. Younger children maybe shouldn't be watching it because of the result of nightmares and being scared. And people that don't like violence and swearing should maybe consider not watching it. Otherwise, it is really what the viewer likes and if they like it, they should watch it!
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2015

Great Plot

I, personally, feel that 'Supernatural' isn't exactly scary. I mean, it's got horror scenes in it, but the worst that there is is jump scares. The first season is probably the worst for the horror, the others are more about the storyline. Speaking of that, the plot is absolutely flawless. I'm currently starting season five for the first time and the plot has grown and grown and grown into something so amazing. Also, the episodes come in varieties. You get, roughly, three episodes in each season which are humorous and the others are meaningful. Dean does mention some sexual things and I've come across three scenes which are explicit in that way. But, honestly, nobody's stopping you from skipping it. That's what I do, I never miss anything important. But, I'm dubious that the plot - along with many other things - will become slightly tedious by the time the tenth season rolls around. I mean, you've got to have a very talented writer to pull that off. Also, I forgot to mention, that there is lots of violence such as shooting, stabbing, assaulting, swearing, etc. Which is basically expected in a TV series which is labelled as, 'Supernatural'. Overall, I think it's great for everyone over the age of thirteen - even adults! Also, I know that I'm twelve. But, hey, I'm not bothered with that stuff and I watch it under parental guidance. Rated for mature twelve year olds.