All member reviews for Supernatural

Terrifying guilty pleasure is iffy for sensitive teens.

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byCody Patterson MJO October 11, 2015

Depends on the kid

Yeah, I love the show, but I wouldn't ever turn it on until after my kids are in bed. Some eleven or twelve year olds will be just fine watching the show, especially if they watch with their parents, but most kids should probably wait until they are a year or two older, as the official rating (PG-13 / TV-14) suggests.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysupernatural_lover13 September 13, 2015

Best show ever!

I'm 1 3 and I wouldn't recommend anyone under the age of 12 watch it because it can get quite intense, if you are mature enough and won't get frightened I think it is a pretty awesome show. It's my favourite.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylilliethequeen September 10, 2015

VERY good but not for sensitive people

supernatural is one of my fave tv shows EVER and i'm so in love with it, but it's very violent and has many sexual jokes and references ( and a few sex scenes but nothing too bad ) i think if you are OK with blood, sex scenes, drinking and a few cuss words then you can watch supernatural at most ages ( about 13 and up but if you ask your parents you may be able to watch as 12) P.S i watched the season 10 trailer and dean is with a half naked dancer and he is also later in the clip in bed with a woman and there may be more stuff like this in season ten so i think season ten should be 14 + its the best supernatural ( pun intended ) show out there right now, so if you can deal with everything then you should TOTALLY WATCH! p.s.s i would not watch season ten with family cause of dean and stuff
Teen, 14 years old Written byIsabelle Bryant September 4, 2015

There are positive aspects to this show.

There is a great family aspect in this, brother's sticking together with the normal amount of sibling rivalry and banter. The older brother, Dean, is a protective of his younger brother, and cares about everyone in his life, if a little too much. This show teaches kids that family doesn't end with blood, and that you can't give up on everyone quickly.
Adult Written bySelena3517 September 1, 2015

BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION!

This show is great for a teen who loves the Supernatural world. If you don't think your 13 year old is mature to watch it, then watch it with him\her. Swearing is frequent but its apart of the character that the brothers have. Even though some of the killing and bloody scenes can be gruesome, the show is about two brothers killing monsters basically. If your kid is sensitive to scary monsters and gruesome scenes, then you might not need to let him/her watch it. This show is the best!
Teen, 13 years old Written byScaryTvShowsRULE August 27, 2015

Scary For Some, The Bomb For ME!

I honestly love this television series on the CW, if you are fans of TWD, TVD, Grimm, Hannibal, AHS, Once Upon A Time, Reaper, The Whispers etc... Then you should definitely watch this show, I am 14 in 1 week, and I have watched and re-watched this show since I was 12! I am not that mature for my age but then again I am not a bit squeamish and love the horror aspects of shows, especially the violence! yes there is a lot of swearing mostly by Dean but I love how they still put some lovey dovey parts included.. I started to stop watching the series at about the start of season 8 because it got boring, I don't know why but I enjoy it when Sam is kidnapped or in trouble, not because its funny because of the brotherly love when Dean ALWAYS rescue's him, especially in the season 2 episode where he meets that girl with the same demon powers as him, and the other hunters tries to kill him about 5 times, TRIES to though. My favourite season though this will sound mean and weird but I love the season when Sam comes back from Lucifer's Cage and when he gets his soul back after Castiel removes the wall when Sam starts remembering The Cage and keeps seeing Lucifer! But I HATED it when Dean went to Hell in Season 4!
Adult Written byjacquelinem1 August 26, 2015
I think this actually does have some great messages. There is a lot of violence, but otherwise 11+ is good.
Adult Written byLarnm85@yahoo.com August 21, 2015

Great show

This is my favorite tv show it makes me laugh sometimes cry and keeps me in suspense I hope the show has more years to come.
Teen, 15 years old Written bynetflixaddiction August 18, 2015

A Great Show, Depends on Viewer

Supernatural is a fantastic show! Some episodes can have violence, swearing (Dean mostly), and creepy plot lines about the creature it is focusing on but it depends on the person watching the show. Younger children maybe shouldn't be watching it because of the result of nightmares and being scared. And people that don't like violence and swearing should maybe consider not watching it. Otherwise, it is really what the viewer likes and if they like it, they should watch it!
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2015

Great Plot

I, personally, feel that 'Supernatural' isn't exactly scary. I mean, it's got horror scenes in it, but the worst that there is is jump scares. The first season is probably the worst for the horror, the others are more about the storyline. Speaking of that, the plot is absolutely flawless. I'm currently starting season five for the first time and the plot has grown and grown and grown into something so amazing. Also, the episodes come in varieties. You get, roughly, three episodes in each season which are humorous and the others are meaningful. Dean does mention some sexual things and I've come across three scenes which are explicit in that way. But, honestly, nobody's stopping you from skipping it. That's what I do, I never miss anything important. But, I'm dubious that the plot - along with many other things - will become slightly tedious by the time the tenth season rolls around. I mean, you've got to have a very talented writer to pull that off. Also, I forgot to mention, that there is lots of violence such as shooting, stabbing, assaulting, swearing, etc. Which is basically expected in a TV series which is labelled as, 'Supernatural'. Overall, I think it's great for everyone over the age of thirteen - even adults! Also, I know that I'm twelve. But, hey, I'm not bothered with that stuff and I watch it under parental guidance. Rated for mature twelve year olds.
Adult Written byAlyCat96 August 11, 2015

Amazing show with important messages

I'm gonna start by saying that I adore this show. My little sister got me hooked and in a matter of 2 months I had watched 9 seasons, just in time for the season 10 premier. This show is probably not meant for young children but I definitely don't think it should be limited to kids over 16, I know 9 year olds who are just as big a fan as I am. It's a show where once you're hooked it's gonna break your heart and make you cry but it's also gonna make you laugh and smile. It's definitely a show that i think everyone should try out because the characters will pull you in and you'll never want to leave they're world. Saving People, Hunting Things, The Family Business. Side Note: Now I've seen a lot of reviews pointing out the violence, the alcohol consumption, the sex and the twisting of christian beliefs as reasons to not watch the show but honestly those aren't the things that are most important to this show. They're not what defines these characters or this show at all. I've also notice a lot of reviews stating that this show has no positive messages or good role models which i think is a complete misunderstanding of the entire plot. Sam and Dean, while incredibly flawed, really are role models in the sense that they sacrifice everything to keep others, and each other, safe. They aren't perfect, but then again no one is.
Teen, 13 years old Written byManyuTheReviewer August 9, 2015

A Scray Show With Lots of Violence, But Good Messages At Its Heart

I would disagree with Common Sense on positive messages. I would give it a 1/5 maybe even a 2/5. The heroes are loyal to each other. Despite the many problems they face, they refuse to give up on each other. However, the series is pretty intense and is scary at moments. The audience is also shown some graphic images such as: headless bodies, a beating heart ripped out, blood spraying everywhere, and gory torture. There are too many sexual themes in this TV series, Dean is always "hooking up" with a beautiful women every episode or two. Most of the time it is just implied, but other times it is shown.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjean27596 July 8, 2015

good for non-squeamish viewers. maybe.

there are three requirements you should meet to watch this show. the first, you should be strong in your faith. i have a cousin i would never let watch this because he is not a very strong christian at all. they hold many meetings with ghosts, and pretty much go against many beliefs of all religions. none of the stuff they do is actually true. the second requirement, is, even if you are an adult, you have to be incredibly non-squeamish. it even makes me cringe and i am non-squeamish to the point my parents let me watch patriot when i was eight and i never blinked an eye. the third, is it's not for any younger viewers. even the non-squeamish sort. there is too much sex and beer to make it healthy for any under-thirteen viewers.
Adult Written byaliinwonderland 430 July 2, 2015

Awesome

OMG rofl iffy for 16-17!!! I just recently started watching this show with my older sister (she's 16) and I saw my first episode at age 10. At that age it was to much for me and I didn't watch it again until later this month(now I'm 12) and I love it so much. It really depends on your kid but most 12 year olds can handle it. Sure Dean says some sexual stuff but that's his character. One or two sex scenes come on but they are never intense and you don't see them having sex. Yes there's drinking but they are the right age. There is A LOT of violence but it's just how the show is. And it's all fake.
Parent Written bySuzannejames01 June 30, 2015

10/10 series! Use your judgement

There's no kidding this isn't a frightening show, and some kids older than 13 will not be able to watch it. But at the same time some 12 year olds know that there's no such thing as a wendigo, or a vampire and won't be frightened by it! A lot of the reviews say there's no good messages, but what's wrong with family doesn't end in blood?
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustReallyHomestuck June 23, 2015

Amazing series for older kids.

Supernatural is such a good show. The one thing I'd be concerned about are the creatures/monsters/demons in this show because some are a little scary, but now really. The most freaked out I've gotten from this show was the little jumpscare opening. Another thing is Winchesters. They do drink, cuss and get lucky a few times, but not enough to be concerning. Overall, would watch with older kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjuliapng June 17, 2015

Good show, very violent

I'm thirteen, and although I love the plot, I found this show really scary. I tried so hard to become a Superwholockian, but alas, I couldn't do it. This show is very suspenseful and very violent, with loads of blood, monsters, and dead people, but that comes with the territory. I would say you need to know your kid, if they're sensitive to gore and horror like I am, I would not recommend this show. Watch Doctor Who instead.
Adult Written byHeathah June 13, 2015

Great show, there honestly isn't much iffy content

Supernatural is my favorite show and I've personally been watching it since I was 15. I don't really see how it is rated the way CSM rated it. Yes, characters consume alcohol and sometimes get drunk, but it isn't nearly as bad as other shows or even the real world for that matter. The worse it gets is one episode in which there was a monster that you could only see if you were drunk, but it is an episode that can be skipped. There is minor swearing, but the show is on prime-time on the CW so it never has any of the major swears not allowed on television. Violence is a given considering what kind of show it is, but nothing is terribly off-putting. There are mentions of sex, but there are no real sex scenes that go beyond heavily making-out on screen to imply sex. Never any nudity shown. I think 14+ is definitely okay, and for younger than 14, I just suggest that a parent watches the episode first because most episodes should be fine for younger teens.
Adult Written bythekeywolf June 6, 2015

Not recomended for young teens, tweens or children

Its a show that has many curse words and does talk about sex so younger children and young teens shouldn't watch this without the permission of a parent or guardian who know the show well. This show also has a lot of blood and violence too, so the weak stomached or those sensitive to heads being cut off, Demons torturing and anything related should stay away from this show. I would mostly recommend this to young adults and adults.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykkhoppers June 5, 2015
I grew up watching Supernatural, at night I would watch the newest episode with my dad. That said, I was exposed to much more violence and swearing when I was younger. I didn't start watching the show on my own until I was about eleven, I was never scared or scarred by it. This is a funny show that has much to learn from.