All member reviews for Survivor

Plotting and scheming in paradise for $1,000,000.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysourcecoderocks September 18, 2011

Fun to watch

I love this show!! The challenges and scheming and survival aspect of it make it even more fun to watch.
Adult Written bysusanrogers April 9, 2008

Good Lessons Here *IF* Parents Also Watch and Discuss

Survivor is one of the very few non-PBS programs our family watches. Before I ever saw it, I would ridicule and make fun of those who did watch it. Now we are hooked. My son is 12. I think kids starting around 11-12 can watch this program, but that's ONLY if parents are watching with them and discussing a lot of what goes on. Even teens should have parents watching and discussing with them. The show provides many opportunities to talk about values, ethics and morals -- is it ever OK to lie? If so, when? What personality qualities make a person likable? What behaviors show us that someone is a jerk, or immature, or very self-centered, and that we wouldn't want to be that person's friend if they lived in our town? Survivor also gives a family a rare chance to observe and discuss group dynamics -- how people function together when they don't know each other well, and when no one is appointed the leader. Why do the best leaders -- the most likable and competent people -- never win the million dollars? How do the people who last the longest manage to do it? (Answer: they either lie and manipulate people, or they never initiate anything -- they stay quiet, work hard and go along with others rather than leading anything on their own.) What can we tell about a person's basic, true personality by the way they function in the group, especially during the first few days? Sometimes people swear and that's bleeped out. Sometimes a swimsuit will fall down or a person might otherwise be exposed -- this is digitized over with a "blurring" effect. Occasionally they get some wine -- that provides an opportunity to discuss what happens to you when you drink -- you lose judgement and say things you otherwise would never want to say. One episode had a situation where a woman wrongly accused a man of improper sexual advances. The entire camp witnessed the high drama and confrontations that spanned more than one week of the show. At first I was dismayed, but then used it as a great opportunity to talk about the potential for real misunderstanding between a man and a woman, and how honest communication is much better than accusations and hysteria. It's also important to discuss Survivor as a media production. It is NOT a reality show -- in reality, 16 people plus cameramen would not be plunked down in the middle of nowhere. There are frequent opportunities to discuss how the producers make us (the viewers) think something is going to happen because of what video they show, but then by the end (or next week) you are surprised by what happens, and then you know that the editors and producers simply chose not to show the conversations and situations that would have clued you in. This provides lessons about "what is TV, really?" and "why do they do it that way?". You'll see great cinematography in the outdoor setttings -- landscapes, ocean and animal shots. The Reward and Immunity "challenges" are imaginative and clever. In the end, it's only TV and we could live without this show, but it's easy to see why Survivor has survived so much longer than any of the other so-called reality shows.
Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2011

The Best Show Ever!!!

I love this show, but there are some iffy parts
Teen, 15 years old Written byEmmaReads April 27, 2011

Great show!

This show really brings out how well people can work and live together. There are fights everyonce in awhile which can lead to cussing but, however, are bleeped out. This show can be watched with most of the family (depending on how much you are willing to let younger children to watch).
Teen, 16 years old Written bycraftygirl202 July 19, 2011

Family Night

Survivor is a really great show! Me and my whole family watch it and have a great time laughing and watching this on family night. Keep it up Survivor!
Teen, 13 years old Written bydelirious April 30, 2010

Great!

A very interesting show, and while a lot of contestants do send bad messages by backstabbing, lying and manipulating, there are also a fair share of those who get through the game and eventually win based on integrity and honesty.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymngirl June 29, 2011

A Great Show

Survivor and Amazing Race are two of my favorite shows, I'm always sad to see when they're not on. I don't agree with it being iffy for members 12+. Though some stuff inappropriate for younger audiences, if they watch it with a parent, they'll be just fine! We started watching it as a family show when my sister was only 8 or 9. However, some years are better than others. Some years can be boring with a terrible cast, but this last year was great! If I'd been rating a season previous to this season I would've given it only two stars, but most seasons its good. But don't judge the show based on one season. It's a fun show to watch Wednesday nights and I'll be watching again next time its on!
Adult Written bymarlajfish@aol.com January 8, 2009

Survivor is our favorite show

We watch Survivor avidly every season. It's our favorite show to view together. We not only enjoy the contests and watching how the people cope, but also we talk about survival skills and what it would actually take to make it in a wilderness like that. We also discuss how the people who have studied up and prepared in advance, for example, learning how to make fire and some basic wilderness survival, do much better than those who did not prepare. We also try to learn a little bit about the country that the show features. My kids are 10 and 12 now and we all love it.
Parent Written byBuckyD December 8, 2010

We watch as a family, with lots and lots of discussion.

I always hate people that give advice that covers every kid. Certainly the advice, generally given, is that no kid under the age of 10-12 should watch Survivor because of the dysfunctional behavior and social interactions that are portrayed on-screen. I mean, really, I'm a trained Psychologist, so what am I doing exposing my preschooler to this kind of role model, right? Well, it really depends on the nature/temperment of the kid and whether or not you can be there during the show to explain why these social shenanigans are occurring, and how the game is set up to make people behave in that way. While my daughter still can't sit through the perilous scenes of an animated Disney movie at 5 (think: Ursula in Little Mermaid or the Shark scene in Nemo), she can so totally grasp the intentions of the "contestants" on Survivor and understands how to see things from each player's view. In that way, she can provide a narrative of the driving force behind what each person says, and dare I say has some empathy for their plight -- even if they end up lying. We have ample opportunity to discuss bad words, bad motives, and bad friendships. We try to predict who was the most persuasive prior to Tribal Councils and who will do better at the challenge games (because of strength, smarts, eating, or motivation). We discuss how people must feel when they aren't able to eat good food, how leaders rise to their positions -- and can be dropped from those positions if they become too bossy, and how even liars wrestle with their decisions to lie (with a few exceptions, that is). If you think that similar sorts of "social games" don't occur in school, think again. I'd like to think that exposing my kids, with lots of explicit instruction about what they're seeing, to small doses of this behavior allows them to not be caught off-guard or devastated when the group dynamic at preschool/elementary school shifts out of their favor. It happens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKINGBABE July 21, 2011

Survivor Shal Survive!

I love this show so much! it is amazing! there is a little bit of swearing, but nothing terrible. I think its a great show.
Teen, 17 years old Written bysdorme February 17, 2009

It's a great show

It's an interesting show. It has contestants you can really connect to. It's different and it's great for betting pools. Every episode a tribe goes to tribal council where they vote out one of their own. I love it and now they're airing the 18th season so i bet there'll be more to come. Watch the show at 8pm every Thursday. Watch next week their starting a new season. P.S. There are 2 every year. This one is Survivor: Tocantins.
Parent of a 11, 11, 11, and 12 year old Written bytripple December 15, 2009

For tweens and above.

This show has raised some good parental discussions. Not ready for my 11 year olds to watch.
Kid, 11 years old June 25, 2011

wow

nudity landuge dirty players game plays too grey!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymaddiecat1221 January 10, 2011

BEST SHOW EVER!

AMAZING SHOW!!!! DEF MY FAVORITE SHOW LIKE, EVER!!!! I HAV NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOU THIS SHOW!!! THE ONLY BAD THING IS THAT ONCE YOU WATCH IT, YOU WILL GET HOOKED!!! I AM RELIGEOUS BOU THIS SHOW. WATCH IT!
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2009

perfect for most ages

It's a great show. Okay for most ages.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybieber998 April 7, 2011

Older elementary school kids will LOVE

I started watching when I was 10, and think it is fine. As long as the child knows not to use the bad words, its fine.
Parent of a 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, and 13 year old Written bymisskristin August 16, 2010

Kid, 11 years old May 29, 2011

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Its a AWESOME show but sometimes there are iffy moments.
Kid, 11 years old August 20, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written byDaisiexoxo December 3, 2010

The show does involve scheming, lying and other bad traits which although is the main entertainment and aim of the show which captures the viewers it can send negative messages to children of a young age if they don't take into consideration the facor that this is only acceptable in the game. It is a fantastic show that is suitable for many ages.