All member reviews for Survivor

Plotting and scheming in paradise for $1,000,000.

Age

Adult Written bysusanrogers April 9, 2008

Good Lessons Here *IF* Parents Also Watch and Discuss

Survivor is one of the very few non-PBS programs our family watches. Before I ever saw it, I would ridicule and make fun of those who did watch it. Now we are hooked. My son is 12. I think kids starting around 11-12 can watch this program, but that's ONLY if parents are watching with them and discussing a lot of what goes on. Even teens should have parents watching and discussing with them. The show provides many opportunities to talk about values, ethics and morals -- is it ever OK to lie? If so, when? What personality qualities make a person likable? What behaviors show us that someone is a jerk, or immature, or very self-centered, and that we wouldn't want to be that person's friend if they lived in our town? Survivor also gives a family a rare chance to observe and discuss group dynamics -- how people function together when they don't know each other well, and when no one is appointed the leader. Why do the best leaders -- the most likable and competent people -- never win the million dollars? How do the people who last the longest manage to do it? (Answer: they either lie and manipulate people, or they never initiate anything -- they stay quiet, work hard and go along with others rather than leading anything on their own.) What can we tell about a person's basic, true personality by the way they function in the group, especially during the first few days? Sometimes people swear and that's bleeped out. Sometimes a swimsuit will fall down or a person might otherwise be exposed -- this is digitized over with a "blurring" effect. Occasionally they get some wine -- that provides an opportunity to discuss what happens to you when you drink -- you lose judgement and say things you otherwise would never want to say. One episode had a situation where a woman wrongly accused a man of improper sexual advances. The entire camp witnessed the high drama and confrontations that spanned more than one week of the show. At first I was dismayed, but then used it as a great opportunity to talk about the potential for real misunderstanding between a man and a woman, and how honest communication is much better than accusations and hysteria. It's also important to discuss Survivor as a media production. It is NOT a reality show -- in reality, 16 people plus cameramen would not be plunked down in the middle of nowhere. There are frequent opportunities to discuss how the producers make us (the viewers) think something is going to happen because of what video they show, but then by the end (or next week) you are surprised by what happens, and then you know that the editors and producers simply chose not to show the conversations and situations that would have clued you in. This provides lessons about "what is TV, really?" and "why do they do it that way?". You'll see great cinematography in the outdoor setttings -- landscapes, ocean and animal shots. The Reward and Immunity "challenges" are imaginative and clever. In the end, it's only TV and we could live without this show, but it's easy to see why Survivor has survived so much longer than any of the other so-called reality shows.
Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2011

The Best Show Ever!!!

I love this show, but there are some iffy parts
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byBuckyD December 8, 2010

We watch as a family, with lots and lots of discussion.

I always hate people that give advice that covers every kid. Certainly the advice, generally given, is that no kid under the age of 10-12 should watch Survivor because of the dysfunctional behavior and social interactions that are portrayed on-screen. I mean, really, I'm a trained Psychologist, so what am I doing exposing my preschooler to this kind of role model, right? Well, it really depends on the nature/temperment of the kid and whether or not you can be there during the show to explain why these social shenanigans are occurring, and how the game is set up to make people behave in that way. While my daughter still can't sit through the perilous scenes of an animated Disney movie at 5 (think: Ursula in Little Mermaid or the Shark scene in Nemo), she can so totally grasp the intentions of the "contestants" on Survivor and understands how to see things from each player's view. In that way, she can provide a narrative of the driving force behind what each person says, and dare I say has some empathy for their plight -- even if they end up lying. We have ample opportunity to discuss bad words, bad motives, and bad friendships. We try to predict who was the most persuasive prior to Tribal Councils and who will do better at the challenge games (because of strength, smarts, eating, or motivation). We discuss how people must feel when they aren't able to eat good food, how leaders rise to their positions -- and can be dropped from those positions if they become too bossy, and how even liars wrestle with their decisions to lie (with a few exceptions, that is). If you think that similar sorts of "social games" don't occur in school, think again. I'd like to think that exposing my kids, with lots of explicit instruction about what they're seeing, to small doses of this behavior allows them to not be caught off-guard or devastated when the group dynamic at preschool/elementary school shifts out of their favor. It happens.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysourcecoderocks September 18, 2011

Fun to watch

I love this show!! The challenges and scheming and survival aspect of it make it even more fun to watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCogreboy5079 July 20, 2014
Kid, 12 years old July 5, 2013

Awesome show!!

This is a really good show for teens! There is however a lot of swearing. There is a lot of product placement mainly involving Sprint. Players sometimes drink as a reward. Rarely do they smoke, but it has happened. Overall, a good show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKINGBABE July 21, 2011

Survivor Shal Survive!

I love this show so much! it is amazing! there is a little bit of swearing, but nothing terrible. I think its a great show.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycraftygirl202 July 19, 2011

Family Night

Survivor is a really great show! Me and my whole family watch it and have a great time laughing and watching this on family night. Keep it up Survivor!
Kid, 11 years old May 29, 2011

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

Its a AWESOME show but sometimes there are iffy moments.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylauren_morris21 June 6, 2015

Great Show

Yes, people are in bikinis. Yes, a top might fall off. CBS makes sure to blur these things out. There is minimal cussing and just a great, all around show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTimothyD May 25, 2015

Not the most complex, and compliacated plot, but this is by far the best Reality show on TV

Outstanding concept for a show! Every Wednesday my family and myself sit down, maybe munch on some popcorn, and watch together. That alone honestly makes this a phenomenal show, but I will most certainly rate this based upon all viewers, and my beliefs. Just be aware that I am a Catholic. I believe that language is not an issue for kids of any age either way in this show language is usually only during certain times, and not too bad. There have been some naked people on the show but they blur everything out, and rarely any sexual talk. Violence is not too bad unless your child is so sensitive he/she cannot see people pushing others in the water. Drinking is stupid for someone to take offense by, that I am not going to judge . The biggest thing that I could see people not liking is the constant backstabbing, but it is just like the game Monopoly in essence therefor it can be viewed in positive ways, but it just depends on the person, and if this is an issue then please still let your kids at least watch it, because that's more personal than a no-no for a show. Overall the epicness of this show depends on the season and it's cast, but even so you're bound to get hooked! I highly recommend this for familIies as long as your kids are at least a few years into elementary school. WATCH IT!
Written byAnonymous April 29, 2015

My Survivor Review

This has to be the most stupid and insulting form of television ANYONE could watch. I don't care how old you are,, or what background you come from,, this program is just plain dumb. And to allow a child to watch it is just wrong. When this comes on,, parents,, take your children outside and play with them,, that is true reality, not this poor excuse for wasting someones time.
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2015

Survivor Review

It is an amazing show... just amazing. If you are knew to watching the show you will love it, but watching it for 5 years it can get boring, but that's what other people say, but i disagree. Because each season there is a new twist and new people. I recommend it for sure for people that like reality shows and stuff about survival.
Parent Written byLuvJMB September 30, 2014

I absolutely LOVE this show!!!

I Am looking forward to watching it from the beginning of Season 1. I never thought I would get the chance to rewatch them knowing who one. My favorite season I think is the All-Star one and the one in Pearl Islands. I really loved Rupert. He was so big that you couldn't help but think that he might be the first one to go. Way to go Rupert!
Kid, 12 years old August 24, 2014

Gross food

In certain challenges,contestants have to live maggots,live spiders,cow brains and other stuff like that.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywinston2470 November 20, 2013

AWESOME!

This is a GREAT show that I think anyone would enjoy! The competitors are never that violent but wrestle each other in challenges sometimes. They share a bottle of wine occasionally. They also swear sometimes. But, a great show!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySevares99 May 5, 2013

I love this show

Survivor is absolutely my favorite show, it is very intriguing, and due to the ever changing cast of characters that change each season, the show is always different. To play this you you cannot have a strong moral code, as lying and backstabbing are common, happening every episode, so there are virtually no positive messages, save for the occasional "holier than thou" contestants who attempt to ply a straight game. Overall I would defiantly recommend this to anyone who is not bother by b\people being nasty to each other.
Written byAnonymous February 20, 2013

Off for 12 & Under and why I didn't see it when it's First on.

I will Update to tell you what it's happening on this show. In Survivor Season 1 Richard Won it Plus he got Nude in it you won't see any Nudity on CBS. The Ratings are TV-PG or TV-14 so what happens on Survivor gets seen on TV Later on. In Season 8 Richard get bitten by a Shark that Violence here. Also on the same season Rob & Amber are having Sex but the camera is not in there for that. In Season 6 Jenna gets Nude and She also Wins it. This is a Reality Show with Challenges. The Sex % is About 60% but that just me. Update+ They Swapped Tribes in Season 26 and they started this in Season 3. Rudy from Season 1 was in his 70's. The Range is more like 20's- 70's in Season 18 the age was lowered to 18+ to be on this show. 5 States are higher still. 2 States are 19+ & 3 States are 21+ Still. I can't believe this show is still going and it will keep going. I will keep Updating this review.
Parent Written byMr. Mario December 7, 2012

Survivor

You Know What I Think.
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2012

Surivor is the best!!!

Ive been watching Surivor since I was born. The show has alot of avertising, alochol, and language. They somtimes pixelize the cast.