All member reviews for Switched at Birth

Family drama's responsible messages are good for teens.

Parent of a 16 year old Written bygolfvilla July 19, 2013

Very Discouraging: The main charcter (a minor) decides to have sex with her older boyfriend.

My daughter and I loved this show mainly because I am losing my hearing and it helped us learn ASL together while being entertained. We were both very disappointed at the last episode and decided not to watch the show any more. It has gone the way of most shows on the ABC Family channel which seems to take pride in showing minors experimenting with sex. In the last episode, Bay (a minor) decides to go ahead and pursue her encounter in the bedroom of her new boyfriend who just returned from Afghanistan. Legally, he would be charged as a sexual predator. Very sad! This was a great show. Bay had even asked advise from her half sister (also a minor) who told Bay how great her first encounter was and advised her to pursue her first sexual encounter.
Parent of a 13 and 17 year old Written byLightOfTruth June 2, 2014

Not Wholesome Entertainment - Christians Beware!

ASL and Deaf Culture being a huge part of the show were the bait that intrigued me enough to begin watching "Switched at Birth." The acting was decent and it generally had a compelling story line. However, I was appalled by the frequency of sexual promiscuity and other immoral behavior being touted as normal and appropriate. In fact, traditional Christian values were presented as outdated and even unhealthy! Besides the adult characters having lots of sex outside of marriage and committing adultery, the teenaged characters fornicate frequently. At 15 years old, Bay attempts to have sex with a 19 year-old because she feels the need to get rid of her virginity as she is made to feel ashamed that she is still a virgin. Toby's AND Nikki's parents encourage them to have sex instead of waiting until they are married even though Nikki is a Christian and has pledged to save herself until after she is married. As the only Christian character on the show, Nikki is portrayed in a very negative light. Sadly, all the "voices of reason" persuade Nikki to fornicate with Toby before they are married and when they decide to marry, their marriage is regarded as a huge mistake because they are 19 years old. This show made me sick with all the immoral behavior it promoted. I would never want my children to watch this show - at ANY age! Children are very impressionable and are looking for role models in their favorite shows to emulate. I would be heartbroken if my children patterned their lives after ANY of the main characters in "Switched at Birth."
Parent Written byJanieDough September 8, 2014

I enjoyed watching it myself during the first season. However I quit watching in season 3. Too much teen sex and it seems to condone teen sex as normal and unavoidable behavior. Sorry but I would like to teach my kids to wait. It shows under age drinking and a lot of lying and rebellious behavior. The made the Christian girl, who claimed to believe with her whole heart, date and even marry an unbeliever which is unbiblical. Then she turns from her faith just because her dad sold drugs. She has sex before marriage when she only had one day to go? What kind of message is that? She is made fun of by main characters who call her "churchy" as if it' makes her a freak. No longer a fan of this at all.
Parent Written byskylivmom September 6, 2011

Great show for 12 and up with parent discussion

I love many aspects of this show for my 12 year-old daughter. The teens (and parents for that matter) aren't perfect and don't always get along or make the best decisions, but it usually ends up with a great message about tolerance (for the deaf, each others imperfections, or differing parenting philosophies). This is the most mature show my daughter has watched, and it has given us a lot to discuss about decision making. One place where I think the review is a bit off is in regards to the sexual content - it shows one of the moms in bed with a man she is recently dating and one scene involves the 15 year-old main character trying to get her new crush to sleep with her. They don't, but it's because he stops her by saying he "doesn't have anything". Kind of too bad for the middle school set that the main character is willing to impulsively decide to have sex, even though it doesn't actually happen.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 29, 2012

ok

Expect some rebellious teen behavior (some of which is criminal and goes unchecked), references to drinking and pot, and language ("h-ll" and "d-mn," mostly).
Parent Written byMewmewfancycakes January 30, 2012

Good show.

Great show. Some actions are questionable but otherwise good. Deals with life situations. This show poses a positive message and has a good role model. I would not let anyone under 12 watch this unless a mature 11 year old. Although it says TV-14 I let my 12 year old watch it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymngirl June 29, 2011

Great Show!

The first episodes were better on Switched At Birth, now its almost become too much about jealously. However, its still a good show and has positive messages and role models. It's good for mature eleven-year-olds. I'm thirteen and I watch it with my mom, younger sister, and sometimes my cousin every time its on. It's overall a good show, but if your under eleven I would recommend watching it with an adult. It's TV-14, but its just good to know your kid before letting them watch it. It's a fun show to watch Tuesday nights at 8/7 central and I would highly recommend this show! The show does get you sucked in and you really want to know what happens. Bay drinks underage, but Regina is trying to always get her out of it. Daphne, and Daphne's real brother, Toby, Bay, and even Wilky at times are my four favorite characters!!! I wish they'd bring Liam back into it. And now I really want to know what is going to happen!
Kid, 11 years old July 12, 2011

Great Show!

I love this show! It has positive messages and when ever a character does something bad they are punished and they learn a lesson. In one episode, there was a lot of talk about sex because Bay (the girl with dark hair) came home at three am after making out with her boyfriend. It is also a great way to learn about deaf culture since some of the characters are deaf.
Parent of an infant, infant, and 8 year old Written by24yroldmommyof3 June 21, 2011

I personally like the show

I think this show is entertaining. My daughter likes and im fine with her watching it. Some cuss words but nothing too major. Minor flirting and kissing. I dont think there is anything wrong with this show. Alot of drama within the family and with legal stuff.
Kid, 11 years old August 19, 2011

The Best

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooo luv this show i watch it every monday best show ever i love it so much. i cant wait for season 2. awesome shoe
Educator and Parent Written bycolleenm March 3, 2015

Good drama but too much sex

I'm disappointed with the review given by Common Sense Media on this one. Usually you are spot on. The sexual content is clearly more than just some flirting and kissing, as is shown on the Netflix description. The adults are jumping in and out of bed (and some of this is clearly shown on screen), and the teens are in situations that imply they may or may not be sexually active. SPOILER ALERT: after several episodes it is finally revealed that Bay is a virgin, but you'd never know it the way she "almost" has sex with her many boyfriends in the story. And the reason she is still a virgin doesn't seem to be conscience, but missed opportunity. It's too bad that we can't have a good drama that also puts forth good morals.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydaizythacker March 23, 2013

cool

i love it
Teen, 13 years old Written bycalmdownandwrite January 15, 2013

Awesome show! :D

Switched at Birth is appropriate for some mature 12 year olds but should be fine for any teen over 13. It depends on the kid and the family. Personally, I think this is an awesome show. But I recommend parents watch it with younger teens. There are a few sexual references/scenes that could possibly make them uncomfortable or just bring up conversation. Other than that, there are some positive messages and role models especially when it comes to the fact that Daphne is deaf. All of the main characters do make mistakes but, unlike some other shows aimed towards teenagers, they learn from them in the end. I think this could bring parents closer to their teens and give them something to talk about and connect with them. Highly recommended. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byStoddert December 26, 2011

Great Show!

I love this show. There is so much to learn about the deaf community. It portrays deaf and hard of hearing people like real people. Switched at Birth begins it's winter season Tuesday January 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Adult Written byperfectsense December 4, 2011

Teen, 14 years old Written bylillian1997 August 10, 2011

Boring...

First few episodes were okay. Now they are boring. The Nine Lives of Chloe King on Tuesdays 9/8c are way better and I recommed watching The Nine Lives of Chloe King before Switched at Birth.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylalaland503 June 20, 2011

AWESOME SHOW!

I LOVE this show and it is awesome it talks about real life situations and how it is hard dealing with money.It has good role models and i really love it and you should to.
Kid, 10 years old June 17, 2011

understand.

i love this show its so exciting and it tells a story nothing bad about it except bay does things like get a piercing and try to smoke but her mom stops her and it shows smoking is bad i highly love the show and i think ten year olds can see it if they understand.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMissE1000 June 15, 2011

Highly recomend this show

I really like this show. I never usually watch ABC family, but I liked this show. I think that my only concern would be the amount of drugs. None of the teens use drugs, but Bay had a fake ID and her biological mother is a recovering alcoholic. The way it is handled is very good, because of how Regina tells Bay she never wants her to end up like one and no matter what, she is an alcoholic, it was a mistake, and she can recover from it. On the positive side, Daphne is deaf, and it does open eyes as to what deaf people are really like. Good show .
Teen, 14 years old Written bySoftballlover June 11, 2011

Switched at Birth is a great show!

I thought this show was going to be really bad. But it ended up being a really wonderful show to watch! I love it!!!