All member reviews for The Amazing World of Gumball

Colorful cartoon is full of silly laughs and scrapes.

Parent Written byrendarsmith November 1, 2011

Needs positive male role model, none to be found here

This show is repulsive! The father figure in this show is a complete joke! He treated more like a pet, looks like a buffoon, and serves no purpose in the family whatsoever. Why this is in a children's cartoon is beyond me. I don't know how kids can grow up to respect their fathers or how boys can grow up to take the father's role seriously when they are seeing stuff like this on TV. I have forbidden my son from watching this show for this reason. This has to stop!
Adult Written byItsClarissa May 16, 2011

:)!

Adult Written byteenreviews(17yrs) October 16, 2011

great mix of cuteness, messages, slapstick awesomeness and Gumball x Penny for Romance

This Is the truest, most incredible show on CN, Gumball and Darwin are also great role models, it teaches life lessons and is rated TV-Y7-FV, it has some romancy stuff, but that's normal for pre-teens because Gumball is 12, but i can see a mild sex issue, due to the blurred gentails, etc. but Nothing Major GREAT SHOW :) :) :)
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 10, 2012

The Amazing Show of Gumball.

I enjoy this show a lot! Funny humor,great animation,nice acting,perfect storyline,ect.I LOVE the episode ideas,I LOVE the characters,and I LOVE the jokes!
Teen, 13 years old Written byT.V. Review Cri... May 19, 2011

educational

Actually, I resent that it is not educational. For example, I learned how to put out electrical fires properly (to never use water) but most importantly, to call the fire department. I also learned what can happen when you scrub with the wrong side of a sponge.
Educator and Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written by5peasinapod May 27, 2011

A bit of real-world relatability.

The thing that saves this show from being a "no go" for my kids are the parental characters. Okay, so they seem to be absent through out most of the show except when the kids are trying to sneak around them or when they find their kids up to no good but to me it shows that the parents do care enough to reinforce rules. The dad comes off as a bit too laid back and the mom is super charged rule enforcer. This dynamic mimics my family in a way that allows me to connect the kids' misbehavior, the parents reaction, and the consequences that follow to some of the antics my own kids try to pull. Kids will be kids and try to out fox their parents or try to get away with something. While this show does display this behavior it also follows it up with a light moral connection. I have seen far too many shows lately that provide the misbehavior without a consequence. A weak moral story is better than promoting blatantly inappropriate behavior.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN May 20, 2011

Cute new show with cute characters and extremely cute voices makes for a good watch.

Oh my gosh!! This show is my new little-kid-guilty-pleasure show! Recently I've found that a lot of Cartoon Network shows aren't that good at all except for a select few... But I would LOVE to live in the Amazing World of Gumball! All the characters are so cute and have even cuter voices. Especially Alan the Balloon and Banana Joe. The reason my highlight for this show is positive messages is because Gumball, though he doesn't realize it, learns valuable lessons through his mistakes in each episode. This is something I haven't seen from Cartoon Network in a long time. True he may make poor decisions at times, many involving cartoon violence (it isn't too bad), but he still learns from it in the end. If you're not sure about this one, which I can't find a reason as to why you shouldn't be, watch it with them the first time... who knows, you may like it too...
Parent Written byGlass-Cheshire May 27, 2011

SHOWS WITH LESSONS HAVE RETURNED!

Right off the bat, I've noticed that at some point in every episode, the moral is pointed out. I've missed that. Aside from some f Gumball and Darwin's...."moments". (ie, The underwater kissing (which is actually justified in the situation of Darwin being a fish, and Gumball being...not a fish and their both underwater, and the) and the entirety of the episode "The Dress" which involved Gumball's nightmare of Darwin demanding kids of him...and there actually being kids to show for already) the show is incredibly positive, and fun to look at. Gumball serves as a bad role model in a lot of cases (such as "the DVD") and Darwin seems to be a positive role model. Gumball, however has his own redeeming quality's and seems t be the one learning the lessons. There are strong female leads also, which is always a plus.
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2011

A replacement for Chowder winds up as a great idea!

To me this is sort of a replacement for Chowder. The show is awesome! There is some mild cartoon violence which is not really a problem. In one episode, there is frequent discussions about having a boyfriend or a girlfriend. At the end two friends (boys) kiss by accident when trying to kiss a girl. There is also an episode where the main character is nude, but it is blurred. The main character's friend is in love with the main character because she is dressed like a girl because he lost his clothes. This show will make you laugh big time. Well if you are like a tween or something. Although it is not really educational, I did learn something about fires! When there is an electrical fire, you should not use water. You use the fire extinguisher and call the fire department. Other than that, it is just a silly laughs for all cartoon meant for entertaining kids!
Parent of an infant, 3, 9, 10, and 17 year old Written byMyNameIsBeaver April 18, 2013

What do parents think of this selection?

As an overprotective parent, I saw most bads, but actually some goods into this "show"! Goods: Comcial humor attracts audiences, loads of jokes, lots of action, never bland and boring, kids say it's a good time passer. Bads: Some sexuality (characters naked, but pixel out private parts) Unrealistic and cannot relate to anything to help in real life, lots of violence here and there that often yields blood, mixing the different animations together make it look horrible and very odd to look at, characters are usually bad role models (Darwin and the blue cat are usually lazy and just want to play video games and get in trouble) Barely any parental supervision they makes the parents look like fools (Dad is very lazy and somewhat stupid, Mom is crazy and does a lot of "chopping") Barely or some light morals, Light cursing. Overall it's comical boy (sometimes girl) humor meant for the laughs and to pass time, not meant for anything else. Basically random!
Kid, 11 years old April 16, 2013

I think it good but series in what Gumball nake it bad!
Adult Written bygkdavis August 20, 2011

Not Too Bad

I'm 17 and I actually enjoy this show it's humorous and tends to squeeze in a moral lesson.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byeelee June 18, 2011

Educational and funny!

This show is funny, has good jokes, does educate some, and overall not too inappropriate.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byconnielove93 June 6, 2011

Gumball pops!

Funny show for all ages! Gumball is a positive role model for children, he takes responsibility for his actions and is always kind!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byIceFlamer14 May 18, 2011

Great Show.

This show is great, but here are some things to watch out for: There is violence, but not too much to freak your kids out. There is also humor, and good role models & messages, and the mom always teaches Gumball and Darwin the rights and wrongs, so there is plenty of good messages. Note: In one episode, Gumball was naked, but it was blurred out, don't worry, its not that bad. Personally, I think this show is great!
Teen, 13 years old Written bystarsong4 May 18, 2011

infjh ky65jkgnmg

good, i like the episode when they farted
Kid, 12 years old August 10, 2014

Great colorful show!

I love The Amazing World of Gumball! It's awesome. It's very unique. There are many different characters and places which make each episode a colorful, creative mix, although there world is very similar to ours! 12 year old Gumball is a blue cat who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so he always get into bad situations with his 10 year old brother, Darwin the goldfish. This show is very interesting and hooked me the second I saw it. Honestly, it makes me laugh out loud as much as Regular Show and Adventure Time and Clarence, too. There is not any hard-core inappropriate stuff, but stuff inappropriate enough to make a kid laugh. This show rocks.
Parent Written bywasclywabbit February 14, 2012

Off the wall funny!

I'm a lucky dad with an 11 year old daughter. She watches a lot (probably too “a lot”) of cartoons in the afternoon. Most of them hit me as either stupid (frenetic teens), bizarre (“Adventure land”) or both. When I first watched Gumball I thought :”Oh no. Just another mindless creation.” But the more I watched, it grew on me. Gumball is just drop dead funny. The only other cartoons that can send me rolling off the couch are my old Loony Toons . Gumball’s world is an immensely clever creation of cartoon and 3D characters against real backdrops inhabited by a wonderfully charming and goofy cast of characters. Gumball’s friend Darwin is his goldfish that grew legs. His girlfriend is a peanut with antlers. Another is a Muppet with AB/CD (AC/DC ?) T shirt (Something only an older generation might pick up on). It's off-the-wall but somehow holds together. There’s just enough humor to hit an adult's funny bone. The best show to watch with your kid is one you can both laugh at. And not get hung up on “educational’ or “appropriate.” Gumball sets a high bar for afterschool and “afterwork” entertainment.
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovecookiez July 12, 2011

Unlikable.

Honestly, I hate this show. It's stupid, annoying, and a bit of a rip-off. I might be wrong, but have you noticed how this show is kind of a rip-off of Regular Show? I've seen a couple episodes where they seem a lot a like the episodes of Regular Show, except this show fails at actually being funny. I'll admit that at first, I enjoyed this show. I thought it was cute and funny. Then as I kept watching the episodes, I realized how annoying Gumball's voice was, and how this show wasn't very funny. Maybe I would like this show if it was COMPLETELY animated, instead of having objects that are real... I mean, it's just weird...also if someone else voiced as Gumball, and a few other characters, and if they had original episodes. If you like this show, fine waste your time with this crap, just don't insult my opinion (Looking at you fangbite91)
Teen, 16 years old Written byPenguinFan July 11, 2011

It's alright, but I have the feeling it won't get much better

This show is weird. Just plain weird. I mean, even by kids show standards this is weird. It's like someone combined the animation effects of Chowder, The Muppets, Gumby and added a few random shot of real world buildings and scenery and threw it into a blender. It seems really surreal, which is alright, but sometimes it gets so strange I have trouble watching. I'm not really sure what they were going for with the animation,but whatever it is, it really is not like any other cartoon. A strange contrast to this is that the story and characters are very standard, not at all like the weird animation. As main characters, we have our typical dysfunctional toon family; a crazy tween boy, a young child prodigy, a lazy father who does nothing and an overworked mom, although we also have this weird orange...thing named Darwin...I'm not really sure what he is or how he is related to any of them, but they treat him like a member of the family so I guess I'll go with it. Now its on to the last and biggest flaw of the series: the story. While they have attempted to add little twists here and there, we have seen most of these stories a million times before in other cartoons, and the lack of originality really does suprise me. It's like the creators are too afraid to step out of their comfort zone, take a risk and try something different, and what we get is a bunch of fairly forgettable episodes. So this show is pretty much a mixed bag. I like what they attempted to do with the animation even though it is weird, sometimes it's funny, and I like a few of the characters. On the not-so-good side, we have the lack of originality when it comes to a lot of the stories and characters, and often it just feels like older TV shows being repeated but with different characters and graphics. It's not bad for kids though, and you might want to check it out.