Period spy drama blends violence, sex, and '80s nostalgia.

Parent Written byliolio March 25, 2013

Nudity

They have now begun to have nudity on the show...showing both men and women fully nude from the back and women from the side. Please let your readers know this.
Parent Written byBeckyDee January 6, 2016

Not for kids

This show leaves me conflicted as an adult viewer. While it has excellent writing that is fast-paced and intelligent at the same time, it sometimes veers off in randomly explicit directions that make me want to give up on it. It is definitely not for kids. Nudity is just the beginning and frankly isn't the real issue, it's that the agents have to use their sexuality to get ahead, etc. *Stop reading to avoid spoilers, keep reading if your teen tells you this show is fine to watch. It's not* The first or second episode is an example of this, the female spy is clothed, but is performing explicit sexual acts on her target to gain his trust. She is disgusted afterwards. (So am I, the viewer.) The husband and wife team continually use sex as a ploy, there's no getting around or fast forwarding through it. It is very explicit (like Sons of Anarchy was with sex, not as violent as Sons though, to give a comparison). Scenes like, the husband and wife performing sexually explicit acts on each other and their teen daughter walking in ("Ick Factor" off the charts for that scene). Worse, there is husband on wife sexual brutalization that leaves the wife (who has a history of being raped and husband knows this) sobbing and curled up in the fetal position. There's near-miss sex between a 40 something male with a 13 year old target that's avoided by luck, not morality. Several episodes show him grooming her and his own disgust with himself as his daughter is the same age. However, he steels himself to do the deed in the name of Mother Russia, his wife is reluctant, but doesn't object. (As a viewer who appreciates the spy story and twists and turns of it, the scene of sexual abuse of the wife and the storyline with the underage target was gratuitously explicit, I don't need nor want to see that to be entertained.) As I'm writing this I'm liking the show less...however, the spy storylines are intelligent and hold-your-breath exciting, there is a great cast, especially Keri Russell, who is brilliant in this role. If you have an interest in the Cold War or in the spy game, you may enjoy this show....maybe. Told you I was conflicted.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySwimmer5798 July 22, 2013

Ok for 14+

This show definitely has violence in it but nothing too bloody. There is a little bit of swearing (c--k, p---y, s--t) but its rare. Sexual content is quite strong throughout the show and nudity is limited to butts and full rear nudity.
Adult Written bycrusader666 February 24, 2014

Fabulous program, but mostly for adults and mature teens

One of the best new programs on television, but not really suitable for young children or immature teens. Lots of life lessons and history to be learned from this drama, to be sure.
Adult Written byLoao W. January 5, 2017

Morally equivical. Solzhenitsyn would weep

I haven't watched all the episodes and I am not up to date. I just watched the scene where Elizabeth " raped" a Korean scientist to get access to Level 4. However in general I believe this is not a good show for people to be watching, especially at a time where we have a "illiberal autocrat" (dictator) Putin in power and the fairly terrifying truth of Trump supporting him. For a lot of the first episodes we have the familiar feel of moral equivocation. The Russians think that way because they were bought up that way and we think this way because we were bought up this way. Kids learn this in school already....their aren't really any good guys and bad guys, that was something for kindergarten. When you grow up you realize nothing is black and white, we are all nasty and out for ourselves. Gradually though Philip and Elizabeth start murdering innocent citizens so frequently and so nastily that we get the feeling THEY ARE NOT VERY NICE PEOPLE and Elizabeth starts to get headaches after murdering or "raping" someone and Philip starts to look a little troubled. What I hate though is the fact that, as Solzhenitskyn recognized, the fact that the masses are seeking to be entertained, not to think, means that sexy little dramas like this exist and do not make anyone think. The only Soviet dissident turns out to be a spy. There is no guts and true moral fiber to the show, it is just a sort of Bond like spy thriller without the Russians being the badder guys, with a lot of sex and violence thrown in. What would have taken real courage would be to produce a show about Russia and the dissidents fighting the system, standing up as free breathing and thinking individuals. And you know what, that is who the writers in today's Russia are and were, hated, reviled and full of courage.....basically, wait for it, basically good people. But to do this would be to right leaning. After all, communism, living life for the masses not the individual (who lick up this tawdry drama) is something all American TV writers secretly admire.....because they are so liberal. That is why Solzhenitskyn would weep, because we are fed this tawdry morally equivocating stuff. We are afraid to stand up for our beliefs. I would so love to see the writer or writers of these shows really bite the bullet, write something that acknowledges what is wrong with America, the inequalities, but stands up for the individual, that fights back against the authoritarianism of Putin and his admirers. I would love to see our cynical and tarnished age admitting that the Soviet dissidents, the writers and free-thinkers are the heroes. But no, neither side is righter, absolutely not. The dissidents and free thinkers of Russia are crying.