All member reviews for The Backyardigans

Animal friends find melodious, kid-friendly adventures.

Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2009

Perfect For Young Children, Not A Thing Wrong.

I give this all thumbs up. First of all, it's very educational, and teaches young children to use their imagination, which can lead to better writing skills, better reading, etc. And second of all, it sends a very positive message: be whatever you'd like, and what I mean by that is that it shows kids they can be astronauts, explorers, etc. It really teaches them to follow their dreams. And the role models are really great, and they all have very different personalities that young children can really relate to. Overall, the Backyardigans are just the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread, in my opinion.

ITS FINE (A.K.A. I LIKE IT)

THE PIRATE EPISODE CLAMS ME DOWN.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMerlinFan February 5, 2012

They've got the whole wide world in their yard to explore.

I'm a teen, and I really enjoy this show. :) I myself have learned things from it, and sing the songs out loud in high school. The characters are so cute and imaginative. I love how every time they're on an adventure, they never have a problem and things they need are always conveniently there. Great show!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bykalgon7 March 9, 2010

great show

Kid, 9 years old September 1, 2009

borrrring

im with kcoateston anyays who reccomended this for nine year olds? we nine yr olds arent semi three yr olds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sheesh

I LOVE THE BACKYARDIGANS AND I AM 12!!!

The Backyardigans ROCKK !!! I have all of their songs on my iPod!! I lovee them !!!!! Yes i am 12!!!
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bymadamesacre November 16, 2009

backyardigans rock all ages!

I love this show and my daughter loves it! She's been a fan since she was 20 months. Loves the international/cross-genre music and dances along with the characters. Not only does she know most of the lyrics to the songs of the episodes we own, but she uses the language in day-to-day conversation. Whenever she comes out with something totally cute and precocious, I ask, 'where did you hear that?' invariably the answer is Tyrone, or Pablo. Did i mention that I too enjoy this show? We even went to see them live. Good, educational, musical fun.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 14 year old Written byKako January 18, 2015

Not a Kiddie Show, But Funny & Interesting

The first season of this show was similar to other Nicktoons, but its second-fourth seasons got edgy. Hard to believe, but they were actually really intense for Nickelodeon. In "Scared Of You," the main character, Uniqua, and her two friends were transformed into monsters and had to escape a collapsing staircase that would otherwise lead to their doom. Uniqua, holding onto a ledge for her life, was not helped by the other two (Austin and Tyrone) and had to get up herself. When a supporting character named Pablo is comedically hurt, the others laugh and do not care for his safety. The "bossy" Tasha is more of a controlling and rude bully if you ask me. I would recommend the show for appropriate audiences 7+, as another thing about the show I dislike is the frequent use of "What the heck."
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 December 16, 2014

I love how adventurous this show is.

I love watching this show, because, I love all the adventures they go on and I really enjoy when they go into outer space and prehistoric times. The Backyardigans and Mike the Knight are the only two shows not on PBS that I gave 5 stars, that's how good they are. They're great role models, because, they encourage children to use their imagination. I really love the fun, catchy songs they sing. I wish nickelodeon's preschool block would still play The Backyardigans everyday, I would watch it everyday if it was still on.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytheauthorside November 22, 2014

Not a typical show

Backyardigans may have aired on Nickelodeon often during weekday mornings, but it doesn't encompass any educational value or teach viewers anything that monotonous, slow-paced, fact-reciting Disney Junior shows do. It solely entertains, and I have found that its value is appreciated more by pre-teens and teenagers who enjoy the characters and songs.
Kid, 11 years old October 6, 2014

Great but not a preschooler show

It is really funny, but occasionally Pablo gets physically hurt and they don't mention anything like Are you okay? Too much violence and scary scenes for little tots.
Kid, 8 years old July 19, 2013

THE. BEST. SHOW. EVER. TO. EXIST.

The Backyardigans is an awesome show that teaches kids to use their imagination. Unlike all the people that say this show is pathetic, it is probably because they are not seeing the true episode. Most just watch it and go do something else. But this is a lovely show. I would do anything to keep the production of it going on ever since they discontinued it.
Kid, 9 years old April 28, 2012

$&@?-!-("""""?!%+=><|}#%#%%%%

Urgggggggggggg!I'm sick of seeing my sister watch this garbage!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old April 28, 2012

Not Cool

This Sucks TV-CL(Conturl Losers)
Teen, 16 years old Written bynajjahanderson April 27, 2012

one of the best

Its a good show for young kids.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byBelashan April 11, 2010

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byBoyzdeGit February 21, 2010

My 3 and 6 year old boys love this show. One of the few that they will watch together and not fight about it. Most times when the music comes on the the 3yo will be on his feet dancing along. I like the exposure to different styles of music and dance. I think the characters are nice and I have never had a problem with any of the story lines. It definitely encourages imagination and pretend play, both things I think are very important part of growth and development. My boys have even acted out the show later on in the day--with their own take on it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bySharon M December 8, 2009

fun for the patient and music/dance-obsessed preschooler

The vast majority of pop-cultural references that pop up in these "kids'" imaginations fly right over my son's head. That's fine for segment-based shows like Sesame Street that invite adult interaction and have to keep those adults involved, but in this show, those details are needed to support the complex story-lines and consequently, the show just doesn't hold my son's interest for long, despite the clever musical themes and well-choreographed dance numbers. I suspect that by the time his attention span has grown long enough to sit through the elaborate plots, he'll consider himself too big to watch the cutesy little-kid characters. The fact that the dance numbers are done by real people before getting mapped onto the animated characters makes it possible for a real kid to emulate them and actually learn some real dance skills in the process. Definitely the coolest thing about the show. Worth giving it a try on that basis, alone, if your kid's a mover and shaker in the literal sense.
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 November 28, 2009

Parent of a 4 year old Written bymrakins November 14, 2009

Perfect for preschoolers and their parents

My son has loved this since he was 3. Nice mix of music that's never monotonous, which is huge for the adults that watch. He loves to recreate the stories later on. Personally, I like how imaginative the stories are. Also, while there may be some sort of conflict/race/teams element to the story, there are never bad guys.