All member reviews for The Backyardigans

Animal friends find melodious, kid-friendly adventures.

Teen, 16 years old Written byteamjacobgirl2.0 March 21, 2011

My little sister loves this show, so that's the reason for the 4 stars :D

my little sister loves this show but, I've got one quesion, What is the pink thing supposed to be? Anyone have an idea beacuse I'm lost and I think its some kind of bug. :)
Parent of a 2 year old Written byLilybugsMom February 6, 2011

Fits a great big world into a little backyard!

We love The Backyardigans! These characters remind us that kids don't need an elaborate toy or play set in order to have a great time...in fact, they are probably much better off without them! Using nothing but their imaginations and (naturally) the backyard, the Backyardigans surf Tiki beach, travel the Nile, battle robots and swamp monsters, and much more. The songs have nice melodies and don't grate on adult ears. The variety of scenarios is likely to hold the most appeal for older kids. I think it could be an easy springboard for cultivating your child's more unique interests - a little one particularly fascinated by the pirate episode, for example, might have a great time learning about real life pirates or designing treasure maps. One caveat, the show can occasionally be scary for the under 4 crowd (though my 2 year old daughter doesn't seem to mind).
Parent of a 2 year old Written bytbinney January 28, 2011

Great show, but still a SHOW

This is a great show in a lot of ways. The music is great, themes are fine, et cetera. But it is a show. Shows do not teach kids how to use their imagination. That is a fallacy. Imagination and creativity are nurtured only by using creativity and imagination, and shows, toys that light up and make noise, et al only constrain the creative process.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byBPBury1970 January 21, 2011

Absolutely recommend

My son loves it, but @ 5 years old he's starting to prefer more action-oriented fare, like The Transformers cartoon. Still, we love the songs and have all of the music on our ipod. The songs are really catchy. The stories are well-crafted and have lots of humor. There is a real intelligence at work here that you don't get in other shows. Overall, I think it's heads and shoulders above most kids TV out there.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byshyviolet24 January 12, 2011

The Music is Fantastic

Love it, love it, love it! I fell in love with this program before I became a mom. My young cousins watched it when I would babysit, then we would go outside and act out the episodes. It was the first program my daughter watched. Even my husband enjoys the show and will sit down and watch it. We love the music and dancing, even own a couple of the music CDs. I love that my daughter has been introduced to so many different musical genres. Every episode has a new imaginative adventure and a different style of music to go along with it. They are always playing a new role that is appealing to children; astronauts, pirates, aliens, pilots, castaways, ghosts, detectives, trash collectors, mailmen, etc. My three year old loves to pretend and sing along. We LOVE the Backyardigans.
Parent Written bymcole December 21, 2010

Good Themes, Great Music

Five friends imagine (child appropriate) adventures together in their shared back yard. Each episode features a different musical style.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byThomasMommy October 7, 2010

Great tunes, dancing and just FUN to watch!

My son loves it and has since he was 2, and it doesn't torture us parents to watch it. My son loves music and the Backyardigans are always singing and dancing. It is not particularly educational, but it's great fun for my son.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byeyoungmom September 5, 2010

entertaining.

Not really educational, but entertaining. I think my husband enjoys it more then our daughter!
Kid, 10 years old August 15, 2010

perfect for all ages

i rate this for todders,kids, and for parents
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byceilidog May 30, 2010

a family favourite with great music and songs

my youngest (2) loves the music, while my five year old still loves the music, characters and adventures the backyardigans get up to each episode. and as parents, this is one of the least annoying show out there... impressive music for a kids show, that will have you humming along with the songs too!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byBelashan April 11, 2010

Parent of a 2 year old Written bykalgon7 March 9, 2010

great show

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byBoyzdeGit February 21, 2010

My 3 and 6 year old boys love this show. One of the few that they will watch together and not fight about it. Most times when the music comes on the the 3yo will be on his feet dancing along. I like the exposure to different styles of music and dance. I think the characters are nice and I have never had a problem with any of the story lines. It definitely encourages imagination and pretend play, both things I think are very important part of growth and development. My boys have even acted out the show later on in the day--with their own take on it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bySharon M December 8, 2009

fun for the patient and music/dance-obsessed preschooler

The vast majority of pop-cultural references that pop up in these "kids'" imaginations fly right over my son's head. That's fine for segment-based shows like Sesame Street that invite adult interaction and have to keep those adults involved, but in this show, those details are needed to support the complex story-lines and consequently, the show just doesn't hold my son's interest for long, despite the clever musical themes and well-choreographed dance numbers. I suspect that by the time his attention span has grown long enough to sit through the elaborate plots, he'll consider himself too big to watch the cutesy little-kid characters. The fact that the dance numbers are done by real people before getting mapped onto the animated characters makes it possible for a real kid to emulate them and actually learn some real dance skills in the process. Definitely the coolest thing about the show. Worth giving it a try on that basis, alone, if your kid's a mover and shaker in the literal sense.
Parent of a 1, 3, 8, and 10 year old Written byJacobyShaddix32 November 28, 2009

Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2009

Perfect For Young Children, Not A Thing Wrong.

I give this all thumbs up. First of all, it's very educational, and teaches young children to use their imagination, which can lead to better writing skills, better reading, etc. And second of all, it sends a very positive message: be whatever you'd like, and what I mean by that is that it shows kids they can be astronauts, explorers, etc. It really teaches them to follow their dreams. And the role models are really great, and they all have very different personalities that young children can really relate to. Overall, the Backyardigans are just the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread, in my opinion.
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bymadamesacre November 16, 2009

backyardigans rock all ages!

I love this show and my daughter loves it! She's been a fan since she was 20 months. Loves the international/cross-genre music and dances along with the characters. Not only does she know most of the lyrics to the songs of the episodes we own, but she uses the language in day-to-day conversation. Whenever she comes out with something totally cute and precocious, I ask, 'where did you hear that?' invariably the answer is Tyrone, or Pablo. Did i mention that I too enjoy this show? We even went to see them live. Good, educational, musical fun.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bymrakins November 14, 2009

Perfect for preschoolers and their parents

My son has loved this since he was 3. Nice mix of music that's never monotonous, which is huge for the adults that watch. He loves to recreate the stories later on. Personally, I like how imaginative the stories are. Also, while there may be some sort of conflict/race/teams element to the story, there are never bad guys.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byhannahrose October 21, 2009

My favorite kids show on TV right now.

I love how you can tell they are using their imaginations. I hate shows that spin themselves as educational (Dora) and then have episodes like "Dora Saves the Mermaids." I am big on clear lines between real and imaginary.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byFormer Teacher October 15, 2009

My daughter LOVES this. Music and dancing is sophisticated and entertaining. Children of 2-4 are learning so much so fast that a little escapist entertainment that enters their dream life is healthy. Sometimes you have to let children just relax.