Animal friends find melodious, kid-friendly adventures.

Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2009

Perfect For Young Children, Not A Thing Wrong.

I give this all thumbs up. First of all, it's very educational, and teaches young children to use their imagination, which can lead to better writing skills, better reading, etc. And second of all, it sends a very positive message: be whatever you'd like, and what I mean by that is that it shows kids they can be astronauts, explorers, etc. It really teaches them to follow their dreams. And the role models are really great, and they all have very different personalities that young children can really relate to. Overall, the Backyardigans are just the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread, in my opinion.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bymrakins November 14, 2009

Perfect for preschoolers and their parents

My son has loved this since he was 3. Nice mix of music that's never monotonous, which is huge for the adults that watch. He loves to recreate the stories later on. Personally, I like how imaginative the stories are. Also, while there may be some sort of conflict/race/teams element to the story, there are never bad guys.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byhannahrose October 21, 2009

My favorite kids show on TV right now.

I love how you can tell they are using their imaginations. I hate shows that spin themselves as educational (Dora) and then have episodes like "Dora Saves the Mermaids." I am big on clear lines between real and imaginary.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byFormer Teacher October 15, 2009
My daughter LOVES this. Music and dancing is sophisticated and entertaining. Children of 2-4 are learning so much so fast that a little escapist entertainment that enters their dream life is healthy. Sometimes you have to let children just relax.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bythelioness51 October 7, 2009
I am 17+ at least twice, and I LOVE this cartoon! I long for more episodes, and want to be able to walk into a store and purchase the dvds! There is a sweet innocence reflected in this cartoon, that takes me back to my childhood days long gone by, that I want my great nieces and great nephews to experience. Our parents were struggling and often, could not afford the latest games and toys; this created a need for us to expand the reach of our imaginations, and boy, did mine ever expand! Recently, my cousin invited me to join her multi-level marketing, home-based business. My response was: "I'm not creative enough to market something like that effectively!" Her recall of the many games that I'd invented for the kids in our neighborhood, brought tears to my eyes. "You are the mother of imagination" she said. The Backyardigans remind me of that time when money and things were scarce, but childhood was carefree, simple and wonderful! I love The Backyardigans. And I pray God's richest blessings upon its creators!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 October 1, 2009

this show is lame....

this show is lame. the only thing that is iffy in this show is that the backyardigains go on adventure that may very very slightly scare children 2 and under.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byRossieRed September 15, 2009

Singing, dancing and imagination...

I am very surprised reviewers don't see the educational value of this show! It teaches all different types of music and dancing and how to use your imagination to transport your simple yard, patio, stoop...into what ever you want it to be. We love it and think it has been great for our daughter!
Adult Written byBaliMom April 23, 2009

We love it!

My three 1/2 year old daughter and I love this show. Although from America, we actually live overseas and don't have access to all the new episodes. We have exactly 4 of them on DVD, and have watched these 4 over and over. "Mission to Mars" is our favorite. My daughter loves to sing and dance with the Backyardigans...and usually insists on singing the theme song outside our house whenever we come home from somewhere before going inside. :) No, the Backyardigans don't teach ABC's or 123's, but I don't think that EVERYTHING has to be about academics. I think that encouraging imagination is a worthwhile goal all by itself. The music is very catchy. Both music and choreography well-done. I was especially impressed with the child who sang Tyrone's part on "Samurai Pie". That kid can really sing!
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byTop Wifey March 23, 2009

Long on entertainment, but short on education...Great show, though!

My kids (ages 3 and 15 mos), my hubby, and I LOVE this show. It's one of the very, VERY few shows Hubby and I can tolerate watching with the kids (a certain purple dino makes us nuts). I love that they have so much music (that's what hooks my kids), and I REALLY love that they use their imaginations. Also, I love that actual KIDS voice the characters--not adults. They must be VERY talented! My favorite episode is Mission to Mars. We all--hubby included--love that song ("We're Going to Mars")! The only thing I would change is the lack of any educational premise. I do wish it was as entertaining AND taught the kids their numbers or letters or something. That's my only complaint--otherwise this show is perfect. Very cute show!
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byonemusingmama February 19, 2009

A mixed bag

My 3-year old daughter is mostly indifferent to this show while it is the favorite of my 5-year old nephew. My daughter likes the characters and the theme song; however, she rarely sits through an entire episode. I think she often has a hard time understanding the singing, making it difficult to follow the plot. The idea of "pretending" to the extent they show is hard for her too - though she pretends all the time, her world doesn't change like that. I do like the music variations and the lessons that the show tries to teach, but this is mostly a passive watching experience, not an educational show.
Adult Written byouarda April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bykcoateston April 9, 2008

I fill sorry for those poor kids who have to watch this!!!!!

I was babysitting a 3-year old the other day and she wanted to watch tv. So i turned it on the backyardians. She yelled no not this show i hate it. I watch a little of it and i almost fell asleep. I have one word BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byfreakgirl6869 April 9, 2008

i love the backyardigans!

The Backyardigans is one of the best shows for toddlers I have ever seen! It's extremely cute! Their stories are filled with imagination! And it's great how you can tell that these 5 diffrent animal characters are the best of friends! Me and my 2 little kids age 2 and 4 just stare at the tv when its on they love it! Oh and also the colors of the show are beautiful!
Adult Written byabaluma April 9, 2008

I love it more than my kids!

My kids and I ALL love this show! (They are 5 and 6-1/2) We love the songs and usually sing them through the rest of the day - even printed the song sheets off The adventures are fun, and similar to what we often play in our own back yard. I don't know what kind of shows the CSM reviewer is used to watching, but he/she missed the mark on this one. Watch for yourself and decide - I often find myself watching this show even when my kids aren't. It sure beats spongebob and the like!!
Adult Written byanf143637 April 9, 2008

the characters are so cute

Adult Written bywagkjd April 9, 2008

How FUN!

I teach pre-school 4 year olds and was delighted to find the Backyardigans and begin showing 30 minutes of a show each week to my class. It teaches social skills, movement, creativity and culture. Well put together show. Better than any other sing/dance cartoons I've seen.
Adult Written bybc April 9, 2008

Reminding Kids They Only Need Each Other and Imagination

Fabulous program. Good for kids once they can follow a linear storyline. Usually involves a series of tasks not always predetermined (sometimes there is a map, sometimes they seem to make it up as they go). The kids imagine themsleves to be vikings, spies, ghosts, explorers, and many of the other non-comercial characters we pretended to be as kids. Shows kids playing together creatively and includes a lot of singing.
Adult Written bynatdar April 9, 2008

Great show

This is a wonderful show for any child. My 5 year old just loves it.
Adult Written byshera129 April 9, 2008

Best show ever!!!

This is one of the best kids shows I have seen in a long time. The songs are fabulous, especially since each episode has a music theme (reggae, tango etc). My daughter and my niece both love this show, and I love the songs as well. Something I recommend for any kid under 5.
Adult Written bymomof3 April 9, 2008

Our new favorite

I love the Backyardigans, and so do my kids! Even my 10 yr old daughter enjoys watching it along with her 6 and almost 4 year old sisters. I love the idea that they create their own play worlds in their backyards. It has even encouraged my kids to engage in more imaginative play. I also enjoy the music. There is never any arguing about what to watch if the Backyardigans is on, they all want to watch it. My only complaint is we need some more new episodes, but I think that is true with all kids shows... too many repeat episodes. Try the Backyardigans, I think you and your kids will enjoy it.