All member reviews for The Backyardigans

Animal friends find melodious, kid-friendly adventures.

Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written bytwinzdad August 9, 2010
Let me start by saying I'm not a prude, nor some high and mighty know-it-all. Just a concerned parent. Backyardigans show has some good merits regarding friends and imagination play. They reinforce teamwork and helping one another...BUT, there is so much disrespectful talk and negative behavior that we are starting to cut our kids off from watching the program anymore. I have to screen shows before letting them watch. A song called "I Quit" teaches bad attitudes and my kids use it regularly during tantrums, and the Volcano Sisters are bossy and mean - also a common theme in their playtimes. There seems to be a lot of mean type of play in the show that my kids admit is usually centered around Uniqua. Admittedly it is not present in all episodes, but enough that it concerns me as a parent of young kids. After a recent to Canada I'm reminded why good kids programming is so important to the positive development of children's young and impressionable minds. My children loved Treehouse and all the interactive shows, and how all the characters worked together to help learn and reinforce positive behavior. I would happily let my kids watch this without concern. Kids story lines (especially in American programming) has become more sophisticated than their minds can comprehend and tend to allow poor attitudes and "mean-kid" ideas be introduced because the character "sees the light" their actions in the end. Negative behavior has still been taught and reinforced by these cartoon role-models instead of introducing positive actions to reinforce working together in the first place. It seems that commercialized dribble wins out down here instead of a more conventional positive means of teaching. Maybe this is why we have all forgotten how to help and take care of each other, and why we thrive on programming like "Housewives of...", and "Jersey Shores", etc. as adults. Where have the days of Fraggal Rock, Mr. Dress Up, and the old Hercules cartoons gone? Just good old fashioned positive programming!
Parent of a 3 year old Written bymb1000 January 25, 2011

obnoxious behavior and language you don't want your child imitating.

while my 3 1/2 year old likes this show, I have to screen them and there are only a few that I let her watch, due to there is almost always a "mean" character who treats the others badly as well as obnoxious language that my kid immediately uses, which results in more parenting battles for me. Despite the mean person always seeing the error of their ways - that part is lost on my child, the bad behavior is the only thing reinforced. The different music genres are the only redeeming quality. She also finds it scary at times.
Parent of a 2, 4, 10, and 11 year old Written bybpm01 December 11, 2010

Great show!

This is a cute, fun, and educational show. It really shows kids how to use their imagination. The music is decent too. I really like it and so do my kids. It is one of the better cartoons on these days.
Parent Written bytigerfork July 27, 2011

Fun, imaginative show for little ones

Teen, 13 years old Written byF-Zero studios August 30, 2010

awesome it's also perfect for my sister to watch

now this a very cute show
Parent of a 2, 4, and 14 year old Written bycydsmom April 20, 2010

Cutest, brightest, most engaging cartoon on TV

My kids love this show. We have every DVD and even my teenager is prone to picking one of these DVDs for her young siblings to watch over anything else. The characters are cute, imaginitive, and the music is good. My teenager makes fun of almost every preschool show on television, but admits to liking The Backyardigans. Notice that I keep mentioning DVDs; that's because Nick Jr has removed this show from their daily lineup. Big mistake. This is why we watch Disney Channel now.
Kid, 9 years old September 1, 2009

borrrring

im with kcoateston anyays who reccomended this for nine year olds? we nine yr olds arent semi three yr olds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sheesh
Adult Written byLivCrayola4Ever May 20, 2011

From an Older Sister's Perspective: THE BEST!!!

I like the fact that the characters poke fun at stuff. It is mostly music. And, whaddya mean "older kids and adults are not likely to be as enthralled"? Me, my 16-year-old brother, my parents, and my little bro LOVE this show!!! (and the pink thing is NOT an alien. It is a Uniqua, a made-up species of animal. It's just like a spork weisel.)
Parent of a 3 year old Written byzippy07 October 28, 2010
My three year old loves the show but when he started having a fear of the ocean after an episode involving sharks and started using aggressive, sassy language used by the characters I've decided it's probably not appropriate for him anymore.
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byceilidog May 30, 2010

a family favourite with great music and songs

my youngest (2) loves the music, while my five year old still loves the music, characters and adventures the backyardigans get up to each episode. and as parents, this is one of the least annoying show out there... impressive music for a kids show, that will have you humming along with the songs too!
Adult Written byowlaboard January 16, 2016

Surprisingly high amount of rudeness/peril.

Although there's nothing over the top, the Backyardigans' adventures almost always include some kind of peril (characters running through a maze of fire and dragons, nearly falling to their doom in a vampire's castle) and rudeness (especially from the hippo Tasha). When playing as villains, the characters can act like real jerks. It's a high-quality program otherwise (the animation is beautiful and the stories are well-done). My nine-year-old loves it, but I don't like letting my youngest watch this.
Kid, 12 years old January 11, 2016

This show scares me

The characters are weird, and it's creepy how they teleport to random places. I still have the bad memories.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 14 year old Written byKako January 18, 2015

Not a Kiddie Show, But Funny & Interesting

The first season of this show was similar to other Nicktoons, but its second-fourth seasons got edgy. Hard to believe, but they were actually really intense for Nickelodeon. In "Scared Of You," the main character, Uniqua, and her two friends were transformed into monsters and had to escape a collapsing staircase that would otherwise lead to their doom. Uniqua, holding onto a ledge for her life, was not helped by the other two (Austin and Tyrone) and had to get up herself. When a supporting character named Pablo is comedically hurt, the others laugh and do not care for his safety. The "bossy" Tasha is more of a controlling and rude bully if you ask me. I would recommend the show for appropriate audiences 7+, as another thing about the show I dislike is the frequent use of "What the heck."
Teen, 13 years old Written bytheauthorside November 22, 2014

Not a typical show

Backyardigans may have aired on Nickelodeon often during weekday mornings, but it doesn't encompass any educational value or teach viewers anything that monotonous, slow-paced, fact-reciting Disney Junior shows do. It solely entertains, and I have found that its value is appreciated more by pre-teens and teenagers who enjoy the characters and songs.
Kid, 11 years old October 6, 2014

Great but not a preschooler show

It is really funny, but occasionally Pablo gets physically hurt and they don't mention anything like Are you okay? Too much violence and scary scenes for little tots.
Kid, 8 years old July 19, 2013

THE. BEST. SHOW. EVER. TO. EXIST.

The Backyardigans is an awesome show that teaches kids to use their imagination. Unlike all the people that say this show is pathetic, it is probably because they are not seeing the true episode. Most just watch it and go do something else. But this is a lovely show. I would do anything to keep the production of it going on ever since they discontinued it.
Kid, 9 years old April 28, 2012

$&@?-!-("""""?!%+=>

Urgggggggggggg!I'm sick of seeing my sister watch this garbage!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old April 28, 2012

Not Cool

This Sucks TV-CL(Conturl Losers)
Teen, 16 years old Written bynajjahanderson April 27, 2012

one of the best

Its a good show for young kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMerlinFan February 5, 2012

They've got the whole wide world in their yard to explore.

I'm a teen, and I really enjoy this show. :) I myself have learned things from it, and sing the songs out loud in high school. The characters are so cute and imaginative. I love how every time they're on an adventure, they never have a problem and things they need are always conveniently there. Great show!