Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Berenstain Bears

Kids are welcome in bear country.

Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written byNature cat 1998 May 10, 2019

Ok but Mama is a whiner

My kids easily picked up "You complain too much" and "You have enough stuff" from the whiny character Mama. We don't watch this show anymore.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byMadison Keela April 25, 2019

Mama Bear complains and whines a lot

In "Count Their Blessings" Mama Bear whines about things that aren't even her business. Who cares if Sister and Brother want more dolls and video games? My kids turned off the TV on their own because they hated Mama Bear so much. She is worse in the 80s series. She says "crap" and "hell" sometimes. Oh and did I mention the Too Much TV episode? She wouldn't let her kids watch a parody of Honey I Shrunk the Kids! Stick with the books.

Adult Written byDonna Malls May 11, 2019

Furball Is Not A Bad Word and Mama Bear Is A Whiner

I recently watched the episode on bad words, and it was horrible! Furball is not a bad word! Yes, I know it's for preschoolers, but they could of done bleeps or something instead of teaching wrong information. Mama Bear is a spoiled brat that whines and complains a lot. This is terrible.
Parent Written byDigiGoggleHeadBoy September 10, 2018
For 2-5 year olds. This show tackles on serious subjects and shows kids how to go through with it.

Their website: http://grownups.pbskids.org/berenstainbears/index.html

Adult Written byTerence H. October 26, 2016

Bad turnout for the bears

I was truly shocked and appalled by what the Berenstain bears have become. I used to know them as funny books with an educational twist. Now they have turned into a sad form or Religious propaganda. The author has chosen to offer his books to a very limited group of people rather than keep them the way they were for every child to enjoy. As soon as I received the collectors 10 book edition and saw the titles, I quickly packed it back up and am sending back for a total refund and refuse to ever consider buying another one of their books. Really sad it had to turn out this way as I was a big fan of the cartoons and the books as a child but refuse to encourage religious B.S.
It is really sad that the parents and original authors have passed cause the new author has completely ruined the Berenstain bears for a large group of people who know better than to believe in fibs and fairy tales about religion.
Adult Written byLowe's man June 25, 2016

Not for fans of the books; for preschoolers only.

You're right. Even though the cubs are 10 and 8, this show will only appeal to preschoolers. While it is possible that kids who've read or listened to the books when they were younger and those who still like the books when they're of school age will like this series, don't count on it. Take the episode at the amusement park. Brother Bear, age 10, wants to ride the roller coaster initially but ultimately decides not to. This is an excellent indication that this show is for preschoolers and will likely not appeal to an older child. If this show would've been meant for all ages Brother Bear would've gotten on that coaster! For preschoolers, however, while the lessons and values are sometimes too black and white, both are nevertheless good and age-appropriate.
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 2, 2015

sounds good but looks like for ages 5-9

im probably gonna wait until my youngest of all my kids is 5 my 8 year old kind of enjoys this but im gonna wait until my kid that just turned 2 is 5
Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byheidis4 February 13, 2015

Mediocre effort

The animation is lame (no polka dots or stripes) and it doesn't bother to update any of the now dated aspects of the books, which are still beloved. It's just a slightly more boring and less enchanting version of the books.
Adult Written byAllie Pierson July 13, 2013

NOTHING like the original.

Educational Value
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 October 3, 2009

great show

i luv this show! it has good rolemodels, positive messages and all of the above!

Educational Value
Parent of a 7 year old Written byResponsibleParent April 9, 2008
Parent of a 9 year old Written bynikilj April 9, 2008

Love 'em!

How could you not love the Berenstain Bears!
Adult Written byemmasmom513 April 9, 2008

Good-hearted fun

My 5-year-old daughter loves to watch this show & I like that it give good messages on how to deal with everyday life.