All member reviews for The Electric Company

Excellent update of '70s classic makes English lessons fun.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymoosejulie September 27, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbo1996 December 21, 2009

Amazing Show!

Yes, I'm 13, but i watch this show with my 6 year old sister all the time and we both really love it. All of the songs are catchy and I sing them all day. The dances are fun and the characters are diverse in ethnicity and age. A fun yet educational show.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byeliette October 23, 2009

Excellent for beginning readers

My son likes the plot element--there's a "mystery" running through each episode interspersed with bits to help teach reading. He seems to be getting a lot out of it--he's just learning to read so he is really ripe for what this show is teaching.
Adult Written byLowe's man February 23, 2014

Too bad the show got cancelled. It is and will be missed.

While this show doesn't match up to the 1970s version, it's still very good. (And, of course, it would've been an outlandishly tall order to get this version to even come close to the original.) And it still educates and entertains. In addition to teaching phonics (which THE ELECTRIC COMPANY also did in the 1970s), the current show also introduces 5 new vocabulary words per episode. Moreover, this show also teaches some basic math concepts, such as the use of graphs. Exposure to this show will give kids a head start in school. The plots are exciting and suspenseful as well, guaranteed to keep kids interested. The only drawback is that some of the animated segments are hideous. In the fall of 2013 new episodes were going to be produced. The only reason why it didn't happen was because the Corporation for Public Broadcasting didn't give Children's Television Workshop (CTW) the funding it promised them. So, unfortunately, the show ultimately ended up being cancelled. Let's write letters and/or emails to CTW and PBS and ask them to bring the show back.
Kid, 12 years old September 23, 2009

best show!!

omg i love this show and watch it with my younger sisters all the time. you can sing and dance while learning!
Kid, 9 years old September 18, 2009

Makes Reading So Much Fun!

Electric Company is one of my favorite shows. I recommend this show to kids ages 6-9.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarksouls444 September 11, 2014

Good show! good show!

its not the best but pretty darn close :D
Teen, 16 years old Written byJedi Annie Scrambler July 2, 2013

Awesome for All ages, even teens!

As a 16 year old I enjoy this show very much. My litter sister and I watch it together and while it is educational for her, I enjoy the plot lines of the Electric Company's battle against the Pranksters. I'm not alone in my teenage love of this show though, I have found an online community of other teen girls who enjoy this show and are greatly fond of the characters. Some fan favorites are Lisa Heffenbacher (Jenni Barber), Annie Scrambler (Sandie Rosa), Hector Ruiz (Josh Segera), and Gilda Flip (Carly Rose Sonenclar of X Factor fame).
Adult Written byDiEx-80 August 10, 2012

A great modern reboot of a great educational show

Being as old as I am, I never thought I'd appreciate a blast from the past that, even though redone for modern times, would be just as good as the original. This show really is good for all ages and can teach young kids how to read and speak. Although I am baffled about why exactly this show does the typical good guys (The Electric Company) vs. bad guys (The Tricksters). It does have a few episodes where both sides work together. Also it shows outtakes at the end showing kids that not only is the show a show but the actors are having fun together.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bySDAKMOM July 13, 2012

Great show for early readers

My 6 year old daughter loves this show. It's entertaining, she learns a lot about letter sounds and reading, and the music is fun. I've found I even enjoy watching it with her. There are some good and not so good characters on the show, but the good guys always win.
Kid, 4 years old January 17, 2012

Good

This is my favorite show because I love Jessica and its so good and my baby sister Anna likes it too and she watches it. My older sister Linea is 9 though and she says it is babysh but its not dont think it is it isnt
Kid, 11 years old November 5, 2011

annoying but beneficial and impressive

A show that I used to worship back when I was 8 or 9 or so, but then I realized that its spelling lessons were starting to get annoying and pestering. But it does a very impressive way of teaching kids things like letters' different sounds, such as making songs out of them, using Big Face Face Offs that use words or sounds, or even doing things like Shock Butcher or Shock Karate with them. A very annoying show, but a very impressive and educational one.
Parent Written bykkin April 7, 2011
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMrs. Padilla March 30, 2011
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byBuckyD February 7, 2011

Betcha didn't know: "Silent-e is a Ninja"!

At first I thought that the Pranksters offered a bit too much of a bad role model for the kids, but each episode makes sure that they don't prevail so it must just be my kid that prefers/looks up to the prankster characters... I should keep an eye on that I guess. Regardless, the "commercials" with the phonics and reading lessons are very catchy and do their job well. As a target watcher of the 70's version, I don't remember it being this cool back then!
Kid, 10 years old February 1, 2011
Great TV show! I really like it. Very educational. It taches kids about phonics, letter sounds, language arts, etc. You should let kids in preschool to second grade watch it because when your older it will start to get boring. And it's funny and it has cartoons!
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written byMaKoski December 30, 2010

My husband and I watch it even if the kids are napping.

Very catchy songs. The baby likes to dance to the music.
Parent Written bymwscdrummer May 7, 2010

Great for my son!

My five year old son is really loves this show! He's really into reading. The way this show teaches phonics really appeals to him and has helped him become a better reader.
Parent Written byCooldee April 23, 2010

Come and watch!

I watched The Electric Company when I was a kid, and I still love it! It teaches letters, patientence, and being a good person.
Kid, 7 years old April 18, 2010