Heartwarming drama about foster teens and their two moms.

Parent Written byKarrie42 June 13, 2013

A foundation of love and family values

Fabulous show - I didn't expect this high quality of show on ABCfamily - but here it is. In addition to being fun and engaging to watch, the show consistently sends exactly the messages I want my children to hear: be kind to others, love each other, forgive mistakes, listen, laugh with those you love and success is made up of failures - so keep trying. It's been a long time since TV had a smart, funny show portraying a family I can look up to. In addition, the show tackles complicated subjects with poise - and doesn't give easy answers - just shows good people doing the best they can at the moment (step-families and co-parenting, struggles and joys of a bi-racial identity, complication of adolescent relationships, etc.) Will be tuning in all season! On another note, it was difficult to choose the age range for this show. The plot lines are more focused on older children (dating, identity, drugs, relational aggression between peers), yet the majority of the viewtime is on dealing with/solving these problems and not depicting too much on screen. And finally - a large number of negative ratings from parents recently showed up on this website - all focused on warning others of the dangers of watching these two loving woman raise a family. Be warned! Watching this show may shatter images you have of the gay "lifestyle." Here's a secret - it involves a lot of folding laundry and making peanut butter sandwiches.
Educator and Parent Written byKerner June 18, 2013

Fosters not for family

Would not let my children watch this show. Huge number of parents are now boycotting abc family because it isn't showing family friendly shows anymore.
Parent Written byarms August 9, 2013

Really, ABC "Family" . . . What are you thinking!!?!

I watched 20 minutes of this show with my 13 year old daughter. In that time, two 15 year old kids had unprotected sex, paid someone to buy a morning after pill. One of the foster moms happened to intercept the transaction and took the pill away, but later gave it to her boyfriend's girlfriend without consulting her parents. Seriously?!! Normalizing, even glamourizing this type of behavior through the Hollywood spotlight is completely irresponsible. If it was truly a good show, the writers wouldn't have to rely so heavily on controversy to get ratings.
Educator and Parent Written bymom47andmore August 15, 2013

Hands down - best family show on TV - teens and parents should be watching it together!

Our family loves this show. My 12 year old is mature and we have always provided good education about sex, decision making, birth control etc. I do understand that this show might be a little mature for some 12 year olds. Some of the violence has been challenging for her and we have had to talk about it a great deal. Having said that.. this is a family show.. we watch it together and it has become a significant part of our family life. I am so impressed with the issues that the parents work through and how they demonstrate healthy communication even when they don't always get it right the first time. The kids have diverse issues and there are many challenges but everyone's needs get addressed. We love that the lesbian parents are fantastic role models. Also, the writers are attentive to giving multiple perspectives on certain issues. We noted that in the same episode where a girl acknowledges to her friend that her first time having sex was really fun and felt great (also with someone she loves) another girl is grappling with a past experience of unwanted sex/sexual assault by someone she had liked and trusted. These contrasts are subtle but give attentive parents something wonderful to work with in conversations with their kids!
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 July 24, 2013

AWESOME!

There are many positive messages and role.models. There is some violence throughout the season, there many talks of sex and many scenes of kissing and making out but its nothing a teen doesnt do or talk about. Best show i have ever seen.
Parent of a 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15 year old Written bySuburban Mom of Five February 22, 2014

Drugs, drinking, lying, stealing, etc.

My daughter wanted to watch this show, so I read the common sense review a few weeks ago. There weren't too many reviews and it basically said that it was a heartwarming show about foster kids rated 12 and up. My daughter watched a few episodes, but I finally got a chance to sit down with her and watch one last night. There was a party where all the kids except two were drinking. There was a kid smoking pot. There was a kid with a fake ID buying alcohol for others. One of the main characters stole money from his dad, used it to pay off a witness and now might be going into the business of making fake ID's to pay his dad back. The one mom is a police officer and lied under oath. When she came clean, her boss covered it up to protect her. A girl offered her panties to a boy to get her to meet her up in a room. This is NOT a show I want even my high schooler watching!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHugger000 June 19, 2013

Kid, 11 years old November 21, 2013

Great show!

I think The Fosters is one of the most awesomest shows I've ever watched. It may have violence, but it always leaves me hanging for more in a good way. I really think that the characters are realistic. And I think people could relate to them, even though they have major problems. I love the show a lot and would recommend it to mature kids. It's a great family show and really moving.
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2014

Don't bother with the show

This is the first show of this type that I watched. It certainly mentioned sex a lot and had images not appropriate for kids. I watched the first 4 episode and I can say that this is not for kids. The first episode was relatively calm but don't be fooled the show sends negative messages.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddieb729 December 10, 2013

Positive message

I found this show because Disney channel had a commercial for it. It's definitely not for anyone under 12 but an amazing show. There are few offensive words and some violence. There are many positive messages. It honestly changed the way I look at life. I love this show!
Adult Written bycommonsensegal September 25, 2013

The Fosters is the best!

This is a really good quality show! It emphasizes diversity and is a show people can relate to. It is my second favorite show! Maia Mitchell is one of my celebrity crushes! I love Stef Fosters character! I love Lena's character! I love Teri Polo! I love Sherri Saum! The moms are the best! I especially like Callie and Jude's character.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKitKat16 February 17, 2015

Real life problems

I think the Fosters is an amazing show especially for teens or families. A family of diverse foster, biological, and adopted children is raised by a Lesbian couple. This couple sets a very good example for their kids teaching them about real issues like sex, drugs, alcohol, etc. They do not encourage their children to do drugs, drink, or have sex but do tell the that if they do they need to come talk to them maturely so the issue can be handled rather than it continue secretly and dangerously. They also teach their children about safe sex, where they do not want them having it at all they are aware that teenagers do stupid things and want to do it, so rather than not teaching them and the kids having it behind their backs unprotected they teach safe sex. There is some rude language but only minor things and not often. Occasionally there will be violence but not to bad. I would say this show is not for anyone under 13 due to maturity but other wise it is a great show and would encourage it. it has a very positive message and will encourage teens to be open with their families at home.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStaceytheNerd September 28, 2014

Absolutely Fantastic

There isn't much I need to say about The Fosters - watch it and it speaks for itself. While the Adams-Foster family consists of biological, adoptive and foster children it shows that love is the most important thing of all in a family. When times get tough - the Fosters harden up and have some concrete because they see that their family is worth fighting for - setting a great example for families in real life. The young characters are far from perfect - which is as real as it gets, but their mums/mentors always help them out and teach some valuable life lessons. The Fosters is full of take-aways you never realised it was giving you. Both entertaining and inspiring. And Maia Mitchell and Jordan Rodrigues are Australain so what's not to love?!?! I'd also like to rebut some of the reviews here which have said "the parents' relationship is too confusing for kids under 17" well, no not really I say. If a kid can understand a loving heterosexual relationship they can understand two mums who love each other. I'm a devout Catholic so get over yourselves. I agree that negative messages should be censored - not love.
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2014

Way less inappropriate than everyone says

My little brother watches this with me and he just turned 10. I don't see how parents think it's inappropriate to watch a show about a family. This situation happens a lot in the real world and I think kids should watch it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjennariley January 18, 2014

beautiful show!

I can not say enough great things about this show. It is a mix if love,family, and of course drama. I think if kids are mature I would definitely encourage watching it! It will change your view on love for the better and proves that no matter what your family is like, if you have love and compassion, it does not matter what kind of family you have. It teaches kids and adults alike that it's important for family time and that communication is key. I would give this show 100 stars if I could!
Teen, 14 years old Written byruiscamin June 26, 2013

So important; providing a different model of family.

This show is incredible. It shows a realistic, diverse family where the parents have a close and positive relationship with their kids--something that's really rare in TV these days. There are so few shows that feature gay or lesbian couples, adoption, or interracial families, and The Fosters hits every mark. The characters are understandable and complex, the dialogue is only very rarely cheesy (which is pretty impressive for the messages and issues they're discussing), and the storylines are believable. This show does bring up difficult topics; homophobia, new definitions of family, adoption, foster care, and teens & the law, child abuse, racism, divorce, sexism, and drug abuse all been touched on in the first few episodes. But they do so with immense care and purposefulness. Sex, drinking, and mild language are noticeable here, but not so much that children can't handle, and not so much that it takes away from the importance of this program. I would urge parents to watch and discuss The Fosters even with young children.
Teen, 17 years old Written byPrincessOso16 August 15, 2014

Good show

I think the show is mostly ok for middle school aged kids but some parts of it do make me think "Did I really just hear that on ABC Family???" Mostly though it's a good show and one of the few where the adults on the show tend to act like adults instead of constantly been lied to or tricked by their kids.
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2014

The Fosters

I think this show is based on that everyone's family is not the same and that's ok. There are 2 lesbian moms, and 5 tweens-teens in this show that talks about what happens in each situation their in. It does talk about stuff that are not suitable for some kids. At times I have to watch it with my mom on some episodes and I'm fine with that. Although I think this show is nice :)
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2014

Awesome show!

I think this is an appropriate show for kids 12 and older. There are some inappropriate parts like teen partying, teen sex, drinking , and things like that. Most kids learn about things like this around the age of 11. There isn't one kid in my grade that doesn't know about that stuff. By the time kids are 12 they probably know a lot more about that stuff and talk about things like that with their friends. Parents should also let kids watch this show because it values family. Callie and Jude love each other very much. Stef and Lina also love each other to pieces. The whole family ( Callie, Jude, Mariana, Jesus, Stefan, and Lina) all love each other. The show sends a message that family does matter. This family helps each other through tough times. Most kids and teens start to hate their family. This shows that family is great. Yes, there are many inappropriate parts in this show but the overall message is good. Plus, the show is just interesting
Teen, 16 years old Written byNameismyname January 12, 2014

The Fosters

The Fosters is a positive show with many great message and good role models. Definitely a good TEEN drama. It shows its okay to come from a "different" family. I think people might find it controversial because its on ABC Family but if you haven't realized yet there is not really "family" about the channel I think, its more or a teen channel.