Heartwarming drama about foster teens and their two moms.

Kid, 11 years old November 21, 2013

Great show!

I think The Fosters is one of the most awesomest shows I've ever watched. It may have violence, but it always leaves me hanging for more in a good way. I really think that the characters are realistic. And I think people could relate to them, even though they have major problems. I love the show a lot and would recommend it to mature kids. It's a great family show and really moving.
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2013

Great realistic tween and teen drama

I think this is a great show that showcases many realistic outcomes in life. People are lesbian and gay and people are adopted its a part of life but deal with it. I think this show is really good at putting attention on different cultures. All in all great show thumbs up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStaceytheNerd September 28, 2014

Absolutely Fantastic

There isn't much I need to say about The Fosters - watch it and it speaks for itself. While the Adams-Foster family consists of biological, adoptive and foster children it shows that love is the most important thing of all in a family. When times get tough - the Fosters harden up and have some concrete because they see that their family is worth fighting for - setting a great example for families in real life. The young characters are far from perfect - which is as real as it gets, but their mums/mentors always help them out and teach some valuable life lessons. The Fosters is full of take-aways you never realised it was giving you. Both entertaining and inspiring. And Maia Mitchell and Jordan Rodrigues are Australain so what's not to love?!?! I'd also like to rebut some of the reviews here which have said "the parents' relationship is too confusing for kids under 17" well, no not really I say. If a kid can understand a loving heterosexual relationship they can understand two mums who love each other. I'm a devout Catholic so get over yourselves. I agree that negative messages should be censored - not love.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybelleofthesea April 3, 2014

Best Show I Have Ever Watched!

I am a mature seventeen year old, and in this society today, kids are growing up rather fast, so by age 13, many are already showing signs of the same maturity I see in myself. Moving on from that, this show is hands down the best one I have ever seen in my entire life, and trust me, I would venture to say that I like this show even more than my favorite show on ABC, Revenge. Every single episode so far has never failed to make me cry, as the Callie-Jude relationship reminds me of my undying love for my younger brother. The characters are all very well-developed and relatable, the plot line never fails to keep you interested, and aside from those facts, this show is rather educational as well. I come from a very sheltered and conservative family that is against many of the topics addressed in this show (homosexuality, drugs, sex, violence), but nevertheless, this show is in no way a negative influence like many of these so-called "parents" state. Newsflash, if you actually watched more than the first episode, although I don't see why you wouldn't, seeing as how it was very engaging, you would actually be able to realize how wonderfully made this show is, and develop a deep understanding and appreciation for it. For all those undecided readers out there looking for a new show to get hooked on, or those who have doubts about this one, take a second look. Focus on the values conveyed throughout the series. I can guarantee it will not disappoint. :)
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2014

Way less inappropriate than everyone says

My little brother watches this with me and he just turned 10. I don't see how parents think it's inappropriate to watch a show about a family. This situation happens a lot in the real world and I think kids should watch it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjennariley January 18, 2014

beautiful show!

I can not say enough great things about this show. It is a mix if love,family, and of course drama. I think if kids are mature I would definitely encourage watching it! It will change your view on love for the better and proves that no matter what your family is like, if you have love and compassion, it does not matter what kind of family you have. It teaches kids and adults alike that it's important for family time and that communication is key. I would give this show 100 stars if I could!
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2014

Don't bother with the show

This is the first show of this type that I watched. It certainly mentioned sex a lot and had images not appropriate for kids. I watched the first 4 episode and I can say that this is not for kids. The first episode was relatively calm but don't be fooled the show sends negative messages.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byfalling_dawn October 25, 2013

Good values, very enjoyable

I think this show is excellent, it shows the values I want to teach my child, it also shows that children and adults make mistakes but it is how we deal with those mistakes that is important. it does not shy away from hard issues facing most teens in high school and life but it is not over the top or graphic in any way - we really enjoy watching it , I would only recommend with a younger audience ( 10-14/15) watching it with them as they will have questions or will need more complex issues explained and talked about
Teen, 15 years old Written byi rate things August 17, 2013

Struggles of Foster systems, illegal immigrants, divorce, and MORE!

I love this show because it portrays the foster kid system well as well as the drama. It gives the viewer perspective and positive role models. There is drug dealing but is done in a way that is shunned upon by the mothers. It shows the struggles of being a foster kid, divorce, illegal immigrants, and much more.
Educator Written byBigchris June 27, 2013

Except for a couple of problems really sweet show

I really. Liked this show when I watched it I don't. Support gay marige myself but I was able to kinda forget about that once I started watching and also I don't think the two moms fit each other very well wat I mean is one is a total hard ass and the other seems. Sweet calm and melow it's just awkward. But The show its self is really good with heart humor and real family values if u can just ignore the gay coupel u might find a new family show and ps the show is true on one thing it's not how bad of a background u have its not where u cone from its where someone loves u and where u belong please atleast consider adopting this family in to your homes and hearts it really is worth it
Teen, 13 years old Written byMaddieb729 December 10, 2013

Positive message

I found this show because Disney channel had a commercial for it. It's definitely not for anyone under 12 but an amazing show. There are few offensive words and some violence. There are many positive messages. It honestly changed the way I look at life. I love this show!
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2014

Awesome show!

I think this is an appropriate show for kids 12 and older. There are some inappropriate parts like teen partying, teen sex, drinking , and things like that. Most kids learn about things like this around the age of 11. There isn't one kid in my grade that doesn't know about that stuff. By the time kids are 12 they probably know a lot more about that stuff and talk about things like that with their friends. Parents should also let kids watch this show because it values family. Callie and Jude love each other very much. Stef and Lina also love each other to pieces. The whole family ( Callie, Jude, Mariana, Jesus, Stefan, and Lina) all love each other. The show sends a message that family does matter. This family helps each other through tough times. Most kids and teens start to hate their family. This shows that family is great. Yes, there are many inappropriate parts in this show but the overall message is good. Plus, the show is just interesting
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byjessica4eva November 18, 2013

best t-v show outta my select few suspence is killing me to watch episode 11 :p

I think this T-v series is and excellent show for the family to watch to give an insight on the real thing of how most foster family's are. I love it due to it being what I not expected it to be it was more realistic and down to what most foster family's are like basically the real deal and I would recommend for the family with teens of just anyone to sit and watch it. it gets me to the point where I want to watch the next episode due the to suspense of having to wait kills me......... over all 100% love the show and would watch it over and over... my kids love and as do the friends and some of them and in the foster care system............ so good luck on my review and hope you enjoy the show as much as I do.....
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 July 24, 2013

AWESOME!

There are many positive messages and role.models. There is some violence throughout the season, there many talks of sex and many scenes of kissing and making out but its nothing a teen doesnt do or talk about. Best show i have ever seen.
Adult Written byDeLosReyes June 12, 2015

READ THIS

I caught onto this show a year after it had been on the air and it was so good I had to go back and binge watch on Netflix in time to see the new season. This show is great for people of all ages. It gives everybody something to talk about and gives people a chance to see different family dynamics. This show is great at showing all sides of a situation instead of just agreeing with the most popular answer. It is also good especially for children becausr it follows a more realistic timeliness than other shows. Not every problem is solved in the hour that the show is on. It touches on all subjects from children being bullied at school, children not making the right decision, parents fighting, children being embarrassed of their parents, lying, stealing to forgiveness, family, coming together in times of need, self acceptance, and love. This show can make you laugh and cry. I think everybody should watch it and they can find a little of themselves in these characters. Just remember to watch more than one episode because they really rely on continuity.
Adult Written byLizzie Hunter May 31, 2014

Great show!

This show has great role models for kids. I think a lot of reviews over exaggerate on what's inappropriate. I read one review that said a boyfriend was sending nudes to his girlfriend when all he did was send her a picture with his shirt off. I do understand how so people can think its a little inappropriate but by the age of 12 kids already know about sex from school and social media. Also I think it's great that they show a lesbian couple because you rarely see this on television. There is a little bit of drinking and drugs but nothing that a kid doesn't know about. I really think parents should let their 12 year old daughters/sons watch this show is sends across a great message.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLovelyRose June 6, 2013

The Fosters. Review

This new ABC Family show is sure to be a big summer hit. But, parents should know that in just the first episode there is two woman married,drug use, and a bit of violence. In one scene, Callie gets beat up in juvy. But, nothing other than fist fights. If your child mature often, sure go ahead. I let my 11 year old cousin watch it with me. It's also in turn for one my summer favorites!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCoquis January 2, 2014

Inspiring

I'm 13 years old, and let me just say, most inspirational show I have ever seen. The acting is amazing, and you will fell like you are a part of the family. It sends a positive message, but I would not recommend for 12 and under. It contains references to sex, drugs, alcohol, and even examples. Though it contains that, I have to say I fell in love with this show and the family, especially Jude.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLibroScholar March 6, 2016

This is the greatest show in the history of the universe!

Now it is true that the show deals with mature themes, but these issues are affecting today's kids, and shutting them out is only hurting them. The show is about acceptance and the meaning of what it is to be a family. It pushes boundaries that need to be pushed in our society. It is also great with providing both sides of the issue and letting the viewer make up their own mind. And where do I start with the relationships. They are phenomenal. The chemistry is so palpable and emotion-filled from episode 1 that you forget sometimes that you're watching a TV show. The pilot starts right off the bat with this family that, unbelievably to some, is becoming commonplace in our society. Fostered, adopted and biological children, all under one roof. You feel so much for the struggles of these people that can make you hurt. But when they triumph, you will be one of the first to cheer. People of use the word ground-breaking to describe this show. Really though, they're simply portraying life as it is. Nothing is truly sugar coated or dolled up for Hollywood. It has great and heart and is intensely human. If there isn't a single story that will make your heart break, you have not lived. Please ignore those people who would say that this show is inappropriate or not suitable for children. This show in exposing the truth about our world, and those who cannot see it for what it is, voice for change, are are just afraid of that which is different from their beliefs. Prepare to be challenged and to have your thoughts provoked. To be left wondering about where you stand on various topics that say, 8 years ago, would have been unthinkable to bring up on television, let alone discuss. This show has a place in my heart but I do not know what to fill with if it ever goes off the air. Probably reruns.
Adult Written byarajlynn July 24, 2016

Progressive

This show is progressive and bold and shows a positive and supportive lesbian couple raising their children. The show takes a look at many different complicated issues such a equality, the foster care system, parenting, and he complexities of growing up. The show would of course be a complex show for young teenagers and children, but honestly it's about time that we take a look at what is different without assuming it's wrong. These mothers are loving and they are offering a view into a lesbian family system when so many are still clinging to old ideas of inequality. This show makes clear that times are hanging for the better. Love does not look the same for everyone. And it's nice to see a progressive show that is actually telling a story with watching.