All member reviews for The L Word

This word should only be in an adult's vocabulary.

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 16 years old Written by32flavors April 9, 2008

Gets a bad rap

Yes, this show is inappropriate for kids under 14. And yes, there is sex, cursing, and occasional alcohol and drug use. However, this show often carries a positive message that gets overlooked. Not only does it teach tolerance and acceptance, most of the characters on the show are essentially good people, and if they are not, there are negative consequences. One thing that I could really get behind is the underlying message of loyalty and friendship. The "L" girls are friends first, and they support and help each other in times of need. There is a very touching storyline in season 3 about former best friends who are also former lovers - who put their differences and pasts aside when one of them is diagnosed with agressive breast cancer. Overall, although this show is raunchy, I don't think it quite deserves the bad rap it gets.
Parent of a 4, 8, 10, 12, and 16 year old Written byMonkeymuffin2098 June 2, 2010

Not for under double digets

My 12 year loves the show. I know she's fine with the "Adult Content" in it lol. It's ok for her to watch it. I wish people would let their kids watch whatever they want, God.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydeliaX713 December 31, 2010

Good Show To Show That Not Everyone Is The Same

This TV show is good for mature teens and adults. Yes, there is lesbian sex, yes there is bad language, infidelity and drinking and drugs but this show has good messages for older teens to understand. It shows that it is okay to be gay, and that people are people. The characters are diverse in age, race and sexuality (butch/femme lesbians, bisexuals, transexuals etc). It shows that not everyone is the same and once you get passed the sometimes eplicit sex scenes it is a good show. It is over dramatized and doesn't completely portray lesbian life accurately but compared to other shows out there, this is as good as it gets.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjenniedd October 25, 2010

this show is so funny..ive only watched a few but i think its ok.....not very good for people under 16..
Adult Written byApexPredator24 March 29, 2014

Just Great - Nearing Perfection!

I first watched this when I was 17, and this show blew my mind. It was one of the first I ever watched that fully represented, even if not very accurately, the LGBT community. I personally like it because, with me being a young lesbian just coming out of the closet, it kind of taught me about diversity and that everyone can be a good person, straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans, whatever! (actually, I can't really confirm the last one, everyone's transphobia towards the character Max really pissed me off, but that's about the only bad thing. Oh, and about Dana... no I won't spoil it, but it shouldn't have happened that way... just a humble fan's opinion, producer Ilene Chaiken really made a mistake)