Relationships get complicated in entertaining, sexy drama.

Parent of a 4, 8, 10, 12, and 16 year old Written byMonkeymuffin2098 June 2, 2010

Not for under double digets

My 12 year loves the show. I know she's fine with the "Adult Content" in it lol. It's ok for her to watch it. I wish people would let their kids watch whatever they want, God.
Teen, 16 years old Written by32flavors April 9, 2008

Gets a bad rap

Yes, this show is inappropriate for kids under 14. And yes, there is sex, cursing, and occasional alcohol and drug use. However, this show often carries a positive message that gets overlooked. Not only does it teach tolerance and acceptance, most of the characters on the show are essentially good people, and if they are not, there are negative consequences. One thing that I could really get behind is the underlying message of loyalty and friendship. The "L" girls are friends first, and they support and help each other in times of need. There is a very touching storyline in season 3 about former best friends who are also former lovers - who put their differences and pasts aside when one of them is diagnosed with agressive breast cancer. Overall, although this show is raunchy, I don't think it quite deserves the bad rap it gets.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydeliaX713 December 31, 2010

Good Show To Show That Not Everyone Is The Same

This TV show is good for mature teens and adults. Yes, there is lesbian sex, yes there is bad language, infidelity and drinking and drugs but this show has good messages for older teens to understand. It shows that it is okay to be gay, and that people are people. The characters are diverse in age, race and sexuality (butch/femme lesbians, bisexuals, transexuals etc). It shows that not everyone is the same and once you get passed the sometimes eplicit sex scenes it is a good show. It is over dramatized and doesn't completely portray lesbian life accurately but compared to other shows out there, this is as good as it gets.
Teen, 16 years old Written bykalazy March 31, 2016

Hugely Important

Although the show has its flaws, and has been both heavily criticised and praised over the years, especially by the LGBT+ community, it is one of my favourite shows. Of course, there's a sex scene or two in almost every episode but can we really shelter teenagers from that forever? I'm not suggesting I'd watch this show with my mother or anything because I'm pretty certain that would be the most excruciating experience of my life, but I don't think teenagers 16+ should be stopped from watching. The characters on the show were actually groundbreaking examples of representation at the time, with the first deaf lesbian, the first interracial lesbian couple (w/ a child) and the first transgender permanent character, the show attempts to explore these often overlooked groups in a way which gives them an identity further than being deaf, interracial or trans* (or even LGBT) in favour of fully flushing out the character's lives and experiences. This is also one of the first and only shows with an entirely female recurring cast, the importance of which cannot be overlooked. Some of my favourite scenes and episodes are the ones focusing on the friendship dynamic of the group, what I believe to be the core of the show. I think it is unfair to say that this show does not provide positive messages as there are a huge number of examples of the group offering support to each other, the consequences of characters wrongdoings are often shown, and there are just a huge number of examples of the group being good friends to each other and stopping their destructive habits. I can also think of numerous examples of characters being good role models, a lot of the characters are ivy league educated, incredibly powerful women who step up when they need to and stand up with conviction for what they believe in. There are, of course, negative aspects of the show. Season 6 is one big mess, some characters do seem to become stereotypes such as Shane, the comparitively masculine lothario, although she was provided with slightly more diverse story lines later on. Their attempt to explore transgender issues also seemed to be inconsistant and there are often times when characters seem to change entirely and inconceivably episode to episode. Overall, I would thoroughly recommend this show to anyone 16+ who is interested in watching and is able to overlook the flaws in favour of appreciating the feats of this show which are yet to be matched to this day.
Adult Written byApexPredator24 March 29, 2014

Just Great - Nearing Perfection!

I first watched this when I was 17, and this show blew my mind. It was one of the first I ever watched that fully represented, even if not very accurately, the LGBT community. I personally like it because, with me being a young lesbian just coming out of the closet, it kind of taught me about diversity and that everyone can be a good person, straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans, whatever! (actually, I can't really confirm the last one, everyone's transphobia towards the character Max really pissed me off, but that's about the only bad thing. Oh, and about Dana... no I won't spoil it, but it shouldn't have happened that way... just a humble fan's opinion, producer Ilene Chaiken really made a mistake)
Parent of a 2, 4, 12, and 17 year old Written byUnmenow2003 May 17, 2016

GAY

These girls are every gay stereotype in the book. So, it's not funny. Gays aren't like what stereotypes indicate.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjenniedd October 25, 2010
this show is so funny..ive only watched a few but i think its ok.....not very good for people under 16..