All member reviews for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Teen, 14 years old Written byAwesome_O September 25, 2010

Awesome, but dark.

This show is pretty awesome in a teen's opinion, but the show may be too dark for what Common Sense Media is saying it is targeted for. I'd say a tween audience would be good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPintail April 27, 2011

Reality Ain't All Smiles and Rainbows, Folks

This show definitely has it's dark undertones. There is no denying it, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad, does it? Some of you may remember "Aaah Real Monsters!", "Courage the Cowardly Dog", and "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy". If you can recall, they all had their fair share of creepy, scary moments, but as far as I know, they didn't do any harm. Why should "Flapjack"? I realize, the characters are not the best role models in the world, but that's what's so great about this show--it's a good dose of reality. The characters aren't the typical "bad role model characters". They actually have a great deal of depth for a children's cartoon. Bubby, Flapjack's adoptive mother, while being an eavesdropper and frequently hypocritical, she just wants the best for her son and will go to great lengths to ensure his safety and always has his best-interest at heart, even though she may poorly express this. The relationship between Bubby and Flapjack proves that you do not have to be related to be family. K'Nuckles is another story. He's a drunkard, a liar, a theif, a bum, and a failure who often sweeps young Flapjack away in his highly-exaggerated (or completely made-up) tales of adventure, which blinds Flapjack from seeing his true character. Despite being a bit of a jerk and quite the anti-role model, he does express great love for Flapjack, even if he doesn't want to admit to it or if his methods of expressing his feelings for Flapjack are highly obscure. There are multiple references to his alcoholism through-out the series. I think his relationship with Flapjack proves that even less than perfect people can still be loving people. And of course, Flapjack is a painfully-naive wanna-be-adventurer. He's very dedicated and tries his best at everything he does. He's often swayed in the wrong direction by the ole captain, but isn't necessarily a bad kid. There are a few minor characters peppered in--there's the bartender, Peppermint Larry and his (possibly fictional) manipulative, controlling wife, 'Candy Wife', and Doctor Barber, the surgery-obsessed local doctor/barber. Many characters are illiterate. The show puts heavy-importance on creativity and adventure, which is always a good message for the children. The main trio have all shown dedication and hardwork and have promoted to "do the right thing" such as when a group of children make fun of Bubby and K'Nuckles, instead of going along with them for the popularity, Flapjack stands up for his friends, even after being called names. Characters have gotten "high" and "drunk" are more than one occasion. All in all, I think it's a good show with good messages and role-models, by they are often obscured by character flaws or reality itself.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarksouls444 September 6, 2014

Dark but has humor.

This show is really good in my opinion its dark and has its scary moments like the cats episode and others but its a pirates life more likely and there's the candy store it replaces the bar but the same it just sells candy captain knuckles and flapjack get really sick of the candy and it has the same affect as drunkness but the little kids wont get it and its funny aswell!
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2014

Strange cartoon is too edgy for very young ones, but still entertains

Dark images, weird plots, and strange background characters- the whole thing seems like a college kid's flash animation. But it's much more than just that. This TV cartoon is actually more for adults than for kids, but that's not an issue, considering kids can still laugh at the slapstick cartoon violence. Sure, it's dark, but not dark enough for the youngest of children to be scared. It's not perfect(keep that in mind), so it isn't quite five-star material, but anyone who can find humor in edgy darkness will laugh.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLunarWolfe September 23, 2013

Not bad!

Mm... Not bad, a little disturbing in some episodes, but not bad.
Teen, 17 years old Written byILoveTacoBell September 20, 2013

What the heck did I just watch?

Flapjack is CRAPPY and OVERRATED. The animation is horrible and the characters are annoying. The acting is horrible as well. Go watch Gravity Falls, not this piece of garbage.
Kid, 8 years old August 30, 2013

it's funny but a little crazy

the amazing cartoon they are working on the episode charcter are flapjack,keptenkenels,bubby
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 26, 2013

...

I like this show, but unfortunetly, it has gotten bad reviews saying it's stupid, gross, creepy and scary. I don't know, I KIND OF agree with some of the hate, but that's not the shows main focus. It's about a kid named Flapjack and a Captain named K'nuckles who go on adventures to get to candied island. While sometimes weird, it has a good amount of depth for a children's show, the character's are funny and the show itself will sure keep kid's entertained. It has plenty of good messages for kid's about the importance of creativity and adventure. Bubbie cares for Flapjack and will do anything for him no matter what. The mains character's do occasionally act drunk off syurp and drink candy out of beer glass, but it's funny. Good cartoon.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMitchell Charleston July 1, 2013

The title of this show is so misleading.

Why do people like this stupid excuse for a cartoon? The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack is about a stupid kid who goes on crappy adventures with some idiot named Captain K'Nuckles. I really hate the characters. They are annoying and stupid. The animation makes me want to puke. It is so gloomy and ugly. Oh yeah, it gets WORSE. This show is so boring. Just like someone else on here said, it's boring as math. This show is a disgrace. A major disgrace to Television. It is also one of the WORST pieces of trash in Cartoon Network history. Regular Show and Adventure Time are 100% better than this crap. I've seen shows that are so bad that I'm surprised they are making it off the drawing board. There is only one good thing about this show: Brian Dole Murray voices Captain K'Nuckles. The reason why that is the only good thing about this is because BDM plays The Flying Dutchman in SpongeBob SquarePants (which beats this crap by a LONG SHOT). I'm glad this is no longer on the air. Because it was one of CN's worst mistakes.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTripFoot January 11, 2013

Unadmirable characters and bizarre plotlines mar weird cartoon

I am not easily creeped out. This is coming from a girl who enjoyed Courage the Cowardly Dog, an extremely weird show. when she was seven, who loved grotesque books such as Abarat, and watched the sci-fi/horror movie Alien, and thought it was funny, when she was in 2nd grade. That said, I have to admit that one or two episodes of Flapjack have totaly creeped me out. Here I will provide a basic overview of the show. Animation: One word - ugly. Flapjack's world has a sailor/docks/small seaside city atmosphere. The atmosphere and feel of sea adventure isn't necessarily bad - except that the animation is overly ugly. Most of the adult characters are extremely ugly, especially Captain K'Nuckles; he looks bad enough from far away, but sometimes when you see him up close, you see all his nose-warts and facial hair, which doesn't seem to belong in a cartoon aimed at ages 7-10. Is it OK in Ren & Stimpy? Sure. Does it add anything to Flapjack? No. Characters: The only relatable major characters are the naive Flapjack and the fiercely loving whale, Bubbie. All of the other characters, such as K'Nuckles, are selfish, greedy, mean, etc. The worst part is that the only child main character admires Captain K'Nuckles. Storylines: The storylines totaly creeped me out sometimes. For example, in one episode there were these read heart-shaped things that were coming from flapjack's head. (Or something, I can't really remember.) They discover that the weird hearts taste good, so they sell them at the bar. Meanwhile, flapjack is feeling faint. They start wondering, what are these hearts? Then, the hearts come alive (with creepy bug faces and all!) revealing that the hearts were actually some sort of monster tick and the ticks tries to kill everyone. I was totally freaked out by this plot (maybe because it was a cartoon rather than book? Maybe because I have a fear of finding bugs in my food?) so I don't reccomend this show to more sensitive people. Who I recommend this to: Not to kids. While we shouldn't bombard kids with learning stuff, this show has little or no positive messages whatsoever. I have no idea what idiot was in charge of the script, but the "adventures at sea" atmosphere (while well-done) was ruined by bizzare plotlines and unadmirable characters. Sure, have a naive protaganist, but at least have him grow as a character to learn not to trust everybody. This show is an opportunity missed. However, I do recommend this show to those who might be interested in watching part of one show because the animation, while purpously yet unnecesarily ugly at times, is quite nice.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMr. King December 19, 2012

AHHHHHHH! SOMEBODY HELP ME! SOMEBODY HELP ME!

THIS IS SO GROSS! It is very overrated too! I can't stand more than 5 minutes of this horrible trash!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLu Bu November 21, 2012

Chowder was clever, but THIS, no way!

you dare call this a show, I saw episodes that were disgusting, I saw one where a fat and ugly lady made k'nuckles kiss her toe(CHANGE THE CHANNEL!) and I saw other disgusting episodes that I do not ever ever ever ever ever want to mention! Go see a doctor if you like this show, he will help you so you will not be GROSS!
Teen, 17 years old Written byBigbillyboy August 31, 2012

THIS IS CRAP!

Flapjack is a terrible show.The humor is lame,the show is boring,ect.I'd rather do homework all night than watch this garbage!
Teen, 15 years old Written byAwesome_Dude July 9, 2012

Can't stand it!

I can TOTALLY see why this has 2 stars.I agree with Emily Ashby.This show is really overrated and boring.The title of the show has it all wrong! This show is not "marvelous" at all! It is really stupid and pathetic! Plz respect my my opinion Flapjack fans!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTheGreatNoOne August 18, 2011

The nightmare fuel level... IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!

Creepy show. It's like the only reason it existed was to spread nightmares over little girls' heads at bedtime. Great for people who enjoy dark themes and gross-up close-ups. Bad for people who get disturbed easily.
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2011

Don't Bother Watching

Terrible show. It's not really funny, just weird. I like the guy who created it, but this show was a fail. It is a very creepy show about a weird wanna-be pirate blonde kid and some kind of captain-monster-thing who go on "ADVENTURE!"s
Kid, 11 years old June 4, 2011

I made a huge mistake watching this show!

I used to like this show but now I realize I made a huge mistake when I watched cartoon network, This show is dumb! There was a reason it was canceled. So happy that Mr. Annoying/Flapjack is out of my life forever! Why does everybody like this show? Its so gross, boring and theres too much language kids can't use, I heard potty humor plenty of times in this crappy TV show! Glad it was cancelled because it was horrible!!! So horrible I wanted to murder myself in the living room.
Kid, 12 years old April 12, 2011

Sucky for everyone with brain

I hate flapjack this show is sooooo stupid and gross and pointless, its not even funny and their mouths and face expressions are disgusting, creepy drawings and ugly characters
Teen, 16 years old Written byjfreighgiuhg March 23, 2011

The pancake was over cooked, a while ago.

Worst Show ever! You can't live in a whale, drink candy, and what kind of a name is Flapjack? A three year old can come up with abetter name then that. Also, why does Knuckles get in trouble for what Flapjack does? Besides Flapjack's laugh makes me want to go listen to Rebecca Black!! If you want your kids to watch this, just have them watch paint dry instead. Trust me, that has more depth then this excuse for a cartoon.
Kid, 12 years old March 19, 2011

Stupid and unentertaining

Flapjack is extremely stupid and boring and has no plot whatsoever. This show is not good for anyone.