All member reviews for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Teen, 13 years old Written byPintail April 27, 2011

Reality Ain't All Smiles and Rainbows, Folks

This show definitely has it's dark undertones. There is no denying it, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad, does it? Some of you may remember "Aaah Real Monsters!", "Courage the Cowardly Dog", and "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy". If you can recall, they all had their fair share of creepy, scary moments, but as far as I know, they didn't do any harm. Why should "Flapjack"? I realize, the characters are not the best role models in the world, but that's what's so great about this show--it's a good dose of reality. The characters aren't the typical "bad role model characters". They actually have a great deal of depth for a children's cartoon. Bubby, Flapjack's adoptive mother, while being an eavesdropper and frequently hypocritical, she just wants the best for her son and will go to great lengths to ensure his safety and always has his best-interest at heart, even though she may poorly express this. The relationship between Bubby and Flapjack proves that you do not have to be related to be family. K'Nuckles is another story. He's a drunkard, a liar, a theif, a bum, and a failure who often sweeps young Flapjack away in his highly-exaggerated (or completely made-up) tales of adventure, which blinds Flapjack from seeing his true character. Despite being a bit of a jerk and quite the anti-role model, he does express great love for Flapjack, even if he doesn't want to admit to it or if his methods of expressing his feelings for Flapjack are highly obscure. There are multiple references to his alcoholism through-out the series. I think his relationship with Flapjack proves that even less than perfect people can still be loving people. And of course, Flapjack is a painfully-naive wanna-be-adventurer. He's very dedicated and tries his best at everything he does. He's often swayed in the wrong direction by the ole captain, but isn't necessarily a bad kid. There are a few minor characters peppered in--there's the bartender, Peppermint Larry and his (possibly fictional) manipulative, controlling wife, 'Candy Wife', and Doctor Barber, the surgery-obsessed local doctor/barber. Many characters are illiterate. The show puts heavy-importance on creativity and adventure, which is always a good message for the children. The main trio have all shown dedication and hardwork and have promoted to "do the right thing" such as when a group of children make fun of Bubby and K'Nuckles, instead of going along with them for the popularity, Flapjack stands up for his friends, even after being called names. Characters have gotten "high" and "drunk" are more than one occasion. All in all, I think it's a good show with good messages and role-models, by they are often obscured by character flaws or reality itself.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjfreighgiuhg March 23, 2011

The pancake was over cooked, a while ago.

Worst Show ever! You can't live in a whale, drink candy, and what kind of a name is Flapjack? A three year old can come up with abetter name then that. Also, why does Knuckles get in trouble for what Flapjack does? Besides Flapjack's laugh makes me want to go listen to Rebecca Black!! If you want your kids to watch this, just have them watch paint dry instead. Trust me, that has more depth then this excuse for a cartoon.
Kid, 12 years old March 19, 2011

Stupid and unentertaining

Flapjack is extremely stupid and boring and has no plot whatsoever. This show is not good for anyone.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAwesome_O September 25, 2010

Awesome, but dark.

This show is pretty awesome in a teen's opinion, but the show may be too dark for what Common Sense Media is saying it is targeted for. I'd say a tween audience would be good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byharryandjimmy January 11, 2011

Scary and a waste of time.

This show is creepy, disgusting, and scary. If I had kids I woul never let them watch this. There is absolutley no point to this show and it's disgusting. The show is graphic, like when it has close ups of characters faces. I would suggest not letting your kids melt their brains by watching this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLadyKitKat11 December 21, 2010

FLAPJACK FTW!

Love it! Flapjack is so cute! Funny show, Thourop, you rock!
Kid, 12 years old April 12, 2011

Sucky for everyone with brain

I hate flapjack this show is sooooo stupid and gross and pointless, its not even funny and their mouths and face expressions are disgusting, creepy drawings and ugly characters
Kid, 11 years old June 4, 2011

I made a huge mistake watching this show!

I used to like this show but now I realize I made a huge mistake when I watched cartoon network, This show is dumb! There was a reason it was canceled. So happy that Mr. Annoying/Flapjack is out of my life forever! Why does everybody like this show? Its so gross, boring and theres too much language kids can't use, I heard potty humor plenty of times in this crappy TV show! Glad it was cancelled because it was horrible!!! So horrible I wanted to murder myself in the living room.
Kid, 10 years old March 19, 2011

Funny but some potty jokes

I like it but they say words like "poop" and "stupid" and alot of drinking candy out of beer glass
Teen, 14 years old Written byLydia D. May 11, 2009

One of The Best Cartoons I've Seen

This show is extremely clever and witty. The main character, Flapjack, is extremely cute and innocent, as is his guardian, the whale, Bubby. Pretty much everyone else on the show is disturbed in some hilarious way or another. Like, the grumpy, maple syrup drinking Captain Knuckles, pronounced "K" Nuckles, or the somewhat sadistic "Dr. Barber". And, n this show, if you're not Flapjack, Bubby, or mentally disturbed, then you're grotesque and/or deformed. The odd thing about the show is, while it is not outright inappropriate for young children, it almost feels like a show intended for adults. Not that young children won't get a barrel of laughs out of it, but it's just not always a childs humor. But, it's still a great show, perfect even, and deserves a five!
Teen, 13 years old Written byOmiwako April 6, 2010

"Marvelous"

Captures the innocence of childhood, bullies and over-protective parents included. A must-watch in my book.
Teen, 15 years old Written by211472 November 23, 2009

OK. Really? Maple syrup, not beer. Do you thing a 5 year old knows what beer is? And if they are older, they know better! Gosh!
Kid, 10 years old January 7, 2010

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE THIS SHOW
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2011

Don't Bother Watching

Terrible show. It's not really funny, just weird. I like the guy who created it, but this show was a fail. It is a very creepy show about a weird wanna-be pirate blonde kid and some kind of captain-monster-thing who go on "ADVENTURE!"s
Kid, 12 years old February 21, 2011

Some Fantasy Violence (as intended in the rating), but a fun (some dark moments), entertaining show for children.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTheGreatNoOne August 18, 2011

The nightmare fuel level... IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!

Creepy show. It's like the only reason it existed was to spread nightmares over little girls' heads at bedtime. Great for people who enjoy dark themes and gross-up close-ups. Bad for people who get disturbed easily.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoshata February 7, 2011

I think it's quite dandy!

For those of you saying this show was dark and disturbing,.... doesn't anyone remember "Courage the Cowardly Dog", "Aaahh! Real Monsters!!!", or disturbing "Ren & Stimpy"? In Aaahh! Real Monsters!!, a show created by members of the RUGRATS crew, there is a monster named Oblina who pulls her organs out of her mouth to scare people. Her brain, intestine, heart(s), ect. Yep. a show. about how monsters. attend a school. to learn to scare people. And I loved it! I remember staying up 'till twelve AM just to turn on my Tv, and whether I stayed awake or not, kept it on so it would get that +1 view! Back to MMOF, his was just creepy moments in the show, and my 4-year-old brother watches it, ALONG with me and my mum. It's really not that bad at all. Honestly, kids need a little dark and creepy in their cartoons. They need to know, that even in the cartoons they escape to, bad stuff and scary things can happen, and it's beyong their control, like life. As wierd as that sounds, it's yeah kinda true. Sorry, adults. Kids can handle a lot more than they are given, I'll tell you that much. But a couple negative points were a shaky plot, lack of interest, ect. the obvious, of course.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiwillbefamous November 13, 2010

Sorry Kids, this show is horrible

Im sorry this review annoys me. This site gives codename: kids next door a review saying how terrible it is, but this show, which is truly creepy and freaky a review like it's nothing! I watch horror movies, even go to halloween horror nights every yeah, and THIS show truly freaks me out! it has a sinister tone and it creepy. it has kids sick and dying, no parents and the only role models are k'nuckles who is a lying, stealing, alcoholic old man and a whale who ease drops on everyones. this show is stright up scary and i would NEVER let my child watch it.
Kid, 9 years old September 14, 2010

im crying

cn why why why. you actly put something liike this on? not happy-__-
Teen, 13 years old Written byFrylock September 10, 2010