All member reviews for The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack

Over-the-top 'toon OK, but lacks substance.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAwesome_O September 25, 2010

Awesome, but dark.

This show is pretty awesome in a teen's opinion, but the show may be too dark for what Common Sense Media is saying it is targeted for. I'd say a tween audience would be good.
Parent Written byrogdigity June 19, 2011

not for young kids or sissys

On par with a rob zombie music video. Promotes glutinous candy and syrup intoxication. Some images would likely give a kid a good scare. Not exactly educational in the least. This show would be great for adult swim. That being said, I loved the show. Very good if you are of an age old enough to appreciate the show for what II is, watch it. This show is hilarious!
Adult Written byskofabordello December 18, 2008

Best thing ever!!!!!

I love flapjack! My friends love flaplack! my niece and nephews love flapjack. It's not violent., its cute and light hearted! Only Nazi's dont like flapjack and call it Inappropriate!!! FLAPJACK RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLu Bu November 21, 2012

Chowder was clever, but THIS, no way!

you dare call this a show, I saw episodes that were disgusting, I saw one where a fat and ugly lady made k'nuckles kiss her toe(CHANGE THE CHANNEL!) and I saw other disgusting episodes that I do not ever ever ever ever ever want to mention! Go see a doctor if you like this show, he will help you so you will not be GROSS!
Adult Written bythestarynightcritic January 19, 2015

worst show ever

pure utter junk.will slowly kill any kid watching kid watching it.brings nightmares to my mind when I close my eyes.teaches liberal ways and 100 times worse then any other Spongebob episode.never makes any since and you could not pay me any amount of money too watch 5 minutes of this sick,time wasting,dumb show.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTripFoot January 11, 2013

Unadmirable characters and bizarre plotlines mar weird cartoon

I am not easily creeped out. This is coming from a girl who enjoyed Courage the Cowardly Dog, an extremely weird show. when she was seven, who loved grotesque books such as Abarat, and watched the sci-fi/horror movie Alien, and thought it was funny, when she was in 2nd grade. That said, I have to admit that one or two episodes of Flapjack have totaly creeped me out. Here I will provide a basic overview of the show. Animation: One word - ugly. Flapjack's world has a sailor/docks/small seaside city atmosphere. The atmosphere and feel of sea adventure isn't necessarily bad - except that the animation is overly ugly. Most of the adult characters are extremely ugly, especially Captain K'Nuckles; he looks bad enough from far away, but sometimes when you see him up close, you see all his nose-warts and facial hair, which doesn't seem to belong in a cartoon aimed at ages 7-10. Is it OK in Ren & Stimpy? Sure. Does it add anything to Flapjack? No. Characters: The only relatable major characters are the naive Flapjack and the fiercely loving whale, Bubbie. All of the other characters, such as K'Nuckles, are selfish, greedy, mean, etc. The worst part is that the only child main character admires Captain K'Nuckles. Storylines: The storylines totaly creeped me out sometimes. For example, in one episode there were these read heart-shaped things that were coming from flapjack's head. (Or something, I can't really remember.) They discover that the weird hearts taste good, so they sell them at the bar. Meanwhile, flapjack is feeling faint. They start wondering, what are these hearts? Then, the hearts come alive (with creepy bug faces and all!) revealing that the hearts were actually some sort of monster tick and the ticks tries to kill everyone. I was totally freaked out by this plot (maybe because it was a cartoon rather than book? Maybe because I have a fear of finding bugs in my food?) so I don't reccomend this show to more sensitive people. Who I recommend this to: Not to kids. While we shouldn't bombard kids with learning stuff, this show has little or no positive messages whatsoever. I have no idea what idiot was in charge of the script, but the "adventures at sea" atmosphere (while well-done) was ruined by bizzare plotlines and unadmirable characters. Sure, have a naive protaganist, but at least have him grow as a character to learn not to trust everybody. This show is an opportunity missed. However, I do recommend this show to those who might be interested in watching part of one show because the animation, while purpously yet unnecesarily ugly at times, is quite nice.
Adult Written byFelicity1169 September 7, 2012

It's like watching old sea tales that went out of hand.

I love this show. I don't know why but I do. The entire show takes place in some surreal colonial era world where all the old sea tales of monsters and mermaids are real. It's a great show with entertain character. I admit some scenes are really scary though.
Adult Written byShizukaVictoria May 31, 2011

Exceptional :)

I personally admire this show, I'm not the biggest fan but I'd watch it anyday. I agree the graphics are sort of unpleasing to the eye at times but if you can't stomach it theres no reason to internationally state that this is a disgusting show. Flapjack and K'nuckles remind me of the relationship Spongebob and Mr.Krabs have and who doesnt love spongebob?As well for this show having a nautical setting which can relate to spongebob very well. It almost has the same humor, Flapjack randomly singing for like 10 seconds which i find adorable.This show is definitly out of the box although in the show itself it seems to be getting nowhere with its primary goal which is to get to candy island(?). However, I find this show to be alright for a kids 7+ to be able to watch if he's not disturbed by the graphics.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bykells727 April 26, 2010
It is FUNNY! If you are worried about the "wrong message", watch it with your children! You might find yourself laughing along with them and maybe that half hour you spend watching this silly, far-fetched show might be one of the memories your children will cherish- the time Mom or Dad watched Flapjack with me. Worth the 30 minutes, don't you think?
Parent of a 6 year old Written byhealthymum September 25, 2010

Perfect for all ages.

This is a great show for kids. My child loves to watch these quirky characters and I love the messages it gives her. Thanks to Flapjack and K'nuckles, we don't have to eat vegetables anymore, just candy. Thank goodness for that. She also now loves to play in the mouths of large marine animals and hug drunkards that we pass while bar-hopping. The only concern I have is whether or not this show will encourage my daughter to build large minions out of fish heads and hair.. I suppose I just won't take her to any barber shops for a while. Nevertheless, we all love this show!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycatgirl102 September 23, 2010
Just not a good show period
Adult Written byThe JP Show June 5, 2009

Some Suggestive Nonsense

I was watching one episode,and Captain K Knuckles fell in in love with a mirror. The mirror is dressed like a lady and Captain K Knuckles had his shirt up the whole episode. Flapjack hides in the covers of the mirror, and Captain K Knuckles married the mirror(probably Flapjack,too). Flapjack has to act like a mom and raise some kids. There was a naked baby in one episode. Knuckles cursed in episode(We could not hear him and not understand him). Besides that, it should be TV-Y and for age 4.
Adult Written byRecessGymClass2 November 25, 2016

Awful, simply awful!

This was the WORST Cartoon Network show ever. I was 31 the day it came out (i'm 38 now, i was born in 1978). watching this show again in my late 30s, I have to say, it was just as bad as I remembered it in my early 30s. OK lets start reviewing. The animation quality is just gloomy, bland, and flat out ugly. OK, i'm not one to judge a cartoon by it's animation, but, wow, just, wow, this cartoon's animation is so bad, it is just already a waste of a cartoon. The timing was really horrible too. The theme song it the most annoying theme song on TV, I just can't bare listening to it for 3 seconds without wanting to take my TV in my room and throw it out the window. The lyrics are stupid as well. OK, so the characters are unlikable. The captain is annoying and his personality is unbearable. Flapjack is just a complete idiot who is even more annoying. The talking whale is a boring character who just wastes my time, just like this show itself. The humor is just TERRIBLE! OK, so drinking candy out of beer glasses is stupid and just lazy. The other jokes in the show are stupid too (or at least remotely unfunny, like another bad Cartoon Network show, Johnny Test). Like are these writers even trying? This show is super childish. So, if you've read my other reviews on my former account, I watch kids shows VERY frequently, as a local babysitter and Elementary School teacher. However, this show REALLY went out if it's way to be childish, to the point where it is plain stupid. It's no surprise that this show lasted only three years. In my opinion, it should've been cancelled after the first episode, or better yet, never been made in the first place, for me, it was truly an awful show to even STOMACH, and I did not like it ALL.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAcidTrip365 October 22, 2016

ADVENTURE!!!!

Need I say more? This show is just one giant adventure full of crazy situations and mishaps, all while our main characters desperately try to make it to Candied Island. And spoiler alert, they never made it. But hey, at least they tried. Anyway, there's nothing to worry about: No cursing, no sexy fun times, and gimme a break with the violence.(As I said with my lovely Ren and Stimpy review, if you think this show has way too much violence, watch Tom and Jerry.) HOWEVER, there are a few drug and alcohol reference. But hey, a little drug and beer never hurt. I mean come on, ADULTS made this show. Da fuk was you expecting? Anyway, Flapjack is overall a delicious breakfast and a really good show. Oh and I know all the pussy parents are gonna be worried about "all the violent images" and what not, but what's the problem? The imagery is freaking amazing!!(My favorite is from that one cat episode, with the adorably creepy growl...) And in case ya didn't know.... The same people who worked on Flapjack, did Adventure Time, and Regular Show. Just let that sink in your brain for a little bit... One thing I do love a lot in the show is Bubbie. She is the best Black single mother in television history! Well, in my opinion. Go watch the show, specifically the episode "Oh You Animal!" to see what I mean. In conclusion, parents on here suck and Flapjack is one of the best Cartoon Network show ever!! And also, yes I do think Cap'n K'nuckles is a good role model, especially for little kids. Now they can see what NOT to do in life!
Teen, 16 years old Written bydanny 7000 August 14, 2015

the marvelous misadventures of flapjack is not for little kids

i think the marvelous misadventures of flapjack is a amazing show but its not for little kids because its really creepy dark and vilonte theirs one episode where this lady breathes in captain knuckles face and his skin peels off and you see his flesh theirs lots of creepy images in the show flapjack gets sea sickness and goes crazy captain knuckles goes crazy without candy and stares at flapjack with a creepy smile and then he has a creepy hallucination where flapjack pours a bunch of candy down knuckles mouth the docter is seen eating something by the patient on the bed his face looks all red but then it turns out he was just eating a red donut the docters really creepy in one episode flapjacks face was stuck to a peice of paper and he was gonna stab him in the face with a spear and in the same episode it looked like he was gonna stab flapjack and captain knuckles with the same spear santa clause appeared in one episode and made a bunch of bugs crawl on flapjack theirs also some adult jokes like a guy selling crabs yells i got crabs and a box genie asks flapjack to get him more lubricant with that being said i think flapjack is for preteens and teens and i dont reccomend it for anyone under the age of 13
Parent Written byAmityPeaceful1 April 13, 2015

Good

It is really good for kids see flapjack is kinda raised by two people a whale and a very bad person named Knuckles' but besides Knuckles' Flapjack might copy what Knuckles' does but Flapjack takes everything in a good way Like he likes togetherness and friendship Bubby helps out alot she's like his mother what I'm trying to say my kids love this show I even love it. Its Funny.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarksouls444 September 6, 2014

Dark but has humor.

This show is really good in my opinion its dark and has its scary moments like the cats episode and others but its a pirates life more likely and there's the candy store it replaces the bar but the same it just sells candy captain knuckles and flapjack get really sick of the candy and it has the same affect as drunkness but the little kids wont get it and its funny aswell!
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2014

Strange cartoon is too edgy for very young ones, but still entertains

Dark images, weird plots, and strange background characters- the whole thing seems like a college kid's flash animation. But it's much more than just that. This TV cartoon is actually more for adults than for kids, but that's not an issue, considering kids can still laugh at the slapstick cartoon violence. Sure, it's dark, but not dark enough for the youngest of children to be scared. It's not perfect(keep that in mind), so it isn't quite five-star material, but anyone who can find humor in edgy darkness will laugh.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLunarWolfe September 23, 2013

Not bad!

Mm... Not bad, a little disturbing in some episodes, but not bad.
Teen, 17 years old Written byILoveTacoBell September 20, 2013

What the heck did I just watch?

Flapjack is CRAPPY and OVERRATED. The animation is horrible and the characters are annoying. The acting is horrible as well. Go watch Gravity Falls, not this piece of garbage.