All member reviews for The New Normal

Edgy, salty family comedy pushes boundaries, has heart.

Teen, 16 years old Written byxaltrockgirlx September 19, 2012

Definitely gets better

I'll admit, for the first episode, I agreed wholeheartedly with dHi. This seems to be a problem for Ryan Murphy's shows, they always have kind of a rocky start before they settle into things. But I had to give it another try, because I love the actor who plays Bryan (Andrew Rannells was amazing during his Tony Award performance last year for the Book of Mormon). So I watched the second episode, and I thought that they smoothed it out a bit, so I figured if it kept going at this pace, it'll be up to par in no time. I just finished the third episode on Hulu, and I honestly believe that it has improved substantially from the first episode. The overall tone is a lot smoother, and characters are more sympathetic aren't screaming as much, "if you don't love me, you're a bunch of bigots!" Granted, it still does this a little bit, but it is kind of the point, seeing as how it's trying to change our view of intolerance. I understand that not everyone's going to agree with me, because they'll point out the stereotypes and all. However, (again, please hear me out) stereotypes in themselves... are not all that bad. They have their place in media. It's when they're expected that "this is how [certain group] always acts," then it's a problem. Like the CSM review mentioned, there is hardly ever this many extremes put in the same room, so it would hardly be expected of a person with reasonable logic to think that people always act the way they do in this show. Sorry I've gone off on a couple tangents, but I had to get that out of the way. The characters displayed here are stereotypes, so they aren't necessarily the *best* of role models, but tolerance is a huge issue that is discuss, which I applaud them for. Sex is a lot more talk than action, and as for that one sort-of sex scene in the first episode, I have not seen any more of. But there is talk, kissing, etc., all very minor in my opinion. Language, so far, is suprisingly relatively clear of four-letter words (not completely clean, but cleaner than a lot of sitcoms on now) and the most of concern is some semi-raunchy jokes. One of the characters is a shopaholic, and some brands are mentioned, but it's not constant. Yes, there is drinking, but all by characters over 21 (and as far as I could see, the pregnant woman was not involved). I think this show deserves a shot beyond the first, or even second episode. I just hope eventually that I'll get to hear Rannells sing!
Educator and Parent of a 12 year old Written bysouzakh September 16, 2012

Great collection of characters that gives your family plenty to talk about.

Teen, 13 years old Written byjowzers April 27, 2013

Amazing Show

This is one of my favorite shows. Aside from Ellen Barkin all of the characters are very good rolemodels teaching kids the importance of embracing who you are and accepting others. There is talk about sex, but all in all it is a great show with true heart.
Parent of a 7 and 15 year old Written byParentReviewz January 23, 2013

Occasional Pushing-The-Boundaries Jokes along with Heart and Good Messages.

"The New Normal" is one of TV's Freshest and Funniest Sitcoms Currently Airing. However, expect sexual references including some occasional jokes that push the boundaries and irreverent humor such as jokes about Racism, Special See-Through "Lotion" and more. Characters also drink often and curse in context. Overall, this is a good, funny show that has positive role models and messages (Except for Ellen Barkin's Character who is the only one negatively portrayed on the show) and is appropriate for kids 13+
Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2012

The New Awesome

Positive Messages: This show teaches everyone to be thereselves. Sex: Inappropriote seens are shown frequently. But can easily be skipped through if you don't want your child to see it. It's not like it is an important plot line. Language:S***, h***, d**m and other words like that. Consumerism: In one episode they mention ringpops. Alcohol: There are frequent drinks but they are so casually hidden that younger kids wouldn't he even know that they were alcoholic drinks.
Parent Written by1st-Pebbles-the-cat October 9, 2012

I feel good after watching this show...

I LOVE this show! The dialog is surprisingly intelligent for TV, *and* actually funny. I love how 'regular' people whom we might come across in our lives are portrayed for who they are, without apology, and their differences which might normally serve as the punch line or judged harshly, are spotlighted for their positives and celebrated. I love to listen to Ellen Barkin's character (I know a few people who think like she does - but use a much more limited vocabulary than she does, unfortunately for me, the things she says can be horrifying if she were real), but what I love best, is by the end of the show, a light is shined on how very similar those who appear so different from 'us' actually are. 'They' are actually much more similar to 'us' than we might think. This show celebrates positive difference and thereby promoting tolerance - in an intelligent way. FINALLY! A worthwhile message on TV. I think this show is a must watch for anyone who tends to think a little or a lot like the grandmother. Well done! I didn't think broadcast TV was capable of producing anything worth watching anymore. What a breath of fresh air! Kudos to those who make this show who end up treating all those who are deserving, with respect and intelligence. Not for my young children though, at least not before sex ed classes.
Parent Written bydHi September 13, 2012

Disappointing start, but has potential.

Based entirely on the first 2 episodes, I was extremely disappointed in the laziness of the show's writers. A shocking beginning was cringe-worthy causing me to regret not dvr-ing the show to preview for my 14 year old. There was a lengthy and inappropriate sex scene where a woman was bouncing on top of a clearly naked man with her breasts nearly popping out of her skimpy lingerie. The writers could have very easily kept the sex off screen and still lead the viewers to know what was happening. It is done all the time. If it wasn't for this scene, I would have rated the show 3 stars. There are some positive elements. The young actress/character is wonderful. She is learning to just be herself and not change to make others like her. Her mother shows compassion and a non-judegemental acceptance of others. The grandmother is a bigot and is constantly being called out. So there are some pluses. Unfortunately, these first 2 episodes showed lack of understanding of their target audience. Normal, you missed the mark!
Adult Written bychrisfan September 10, 2012

just not for us

well we are a stict about content but after watching a few episodes of abcs modern family and enjoying it we thought this looked cute and would give it a look and are so sorry we did it turnd out to be very rude and inapropreate for our family but the kid was adorable and cute so mabey give it one look mabey if nothing eles looks good u might like it i dont know