All teen and kid member reviews for The New Normal

Teen, 16 years old Written byxaltrockgirlx September 19, 2012

Definitely gets better

I'll admit, for the first episode, I agreed wholeheartedly with dHi. This seems to be a problem for Ryan Murphy's shows, they always have kind of a rocky start before they settle into things. But I had to give it another try, because I love the actor who plays Bryan (Andrew Rannells was amazing during his Tony Award performance last year for the Book of Mormon). So I watched the second episode, and I thought that they smoothed it out a bit, so I figured if it kept going at this pace, it'll be up to par in no time. I just finished the third episode on Hulu, and I honestly believe that it has improved substantially from the first episode. The overall tone is a lot smoother, and characters are more sympathetic aren't screaming as much, "if you don't love me, you're a bunch of bigots!" Granted, it still does this a little bit, but it is kind of the point, seeing as how it's trying to change our view of intolerance. I understand that not everyone's going to agree with me, because they'll point out the stereotypes and all. However, (again, please hear me out) stereotypes in themselves... are not all that bad. They have their place in media. It's when they're expected that "this is how [certain group] always acts," then it's a problem. Like the CSM review mentioned, there is hardly ever this many extremes put in the same room, so it would hardly be expected of a person with reasonable logic to think that people always act the way they do in this show. Sorry I've gone off on a couple tangents, but I had to get that out of the way. The characters displayed here are stereotypes, so they aren't necessarily the *best* of role models, but tolerance is a huge issue that is discuss, which I applaud them for. Sex is a lot more talk than action, and as for that one sort-of sex scene in the first episode, I have not seen any more of. But there is talk, kissing, etc., all very minor in my opinion. Language, so far, is suprisingly relatively clear of four-letter words (not completely clean, but cleaner than a lot of sitcoms on now) and the most of concern is some semi-raunchy jokes. One of the characters is a shopaholic, and some brands are mentioned, but it's not constant. Yes, there is drinking, but all by characters over 21 (and as far as I could see, the pregnant woman was not involved). I think this show deserves a shot beyond the first, or even second episode. I just hope eventually that I'll get to hear Rannells sing!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjowzers April 27, 2013

Amazing Show

This is one of my favorite shows. Aside from Ellen Barkin all of the characters are very good rolemodels teaching kids the importance of embracing who you are and accepting others. There is talk about sex, but all in all it is a great show with true heart.
Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2012

The New Awesome

Positive Messages: This show teaches everyone to be thereselves. Sex: Inappropriote seens are shown frequently. But can easily be skipped through if you don't want your child to see it. It's not like it is an important plot line. Language:S***, h***, d**m and other words like that. Consumerism: In one episode they mention ringpops. Alcohol: There are frequent drinks but they are so casually hidden that younger kids wouldn't he even know that they were alcoholic drinks.