All member reviews for The Originals

Vampire spin-off is as steamy, bloody as the original.

Teen, 15 years old Written byGirlyGirlwithDocs October 12, 2013

Possibly Worth Continuing If You Have Seen The Vampire Diaries

I have been thoroughly disappointed with this TV series so far. Only onto two episodes, and the random characters popping up and not-so dramatic plot twists are irritating. Rebekah is constantly reminding us that she is British and despite the fact she is trying to 'help' the vampire has just thrown a wrench in Klaus' plans. The only decent characters on the show are Ellijah and (surprisingly) Haley. Her character development has actually been fairly good despite the fact that I am a major Klaroine shipper. Marcel's role in the plot has just annoyed me in general and I do not understand why Pec had to do this spin-off. It also recaps nothing for anyone who hasn't watched the Vampire Diaries and only true fans will care for the show. Then in that group of fans will slowly diminish to nothing as (only on the 2nd episode) this show has already started dragging and being a disappointment. For appropriateness, this show is for mostly teens and some tweens. If they can handle a bit of gore, of course. And when Pec does throw out gore, it is not done tastefully. Anything sexual is minimal, but if it does follow the pattern of the Vampire Diaries their may be some sexual content that does not really show anything.
Teen, 14 years old Written by5saltydog November 3, 2013

The Originals > The Vampire Diaries

Even better then "The Vampire Diaries", if i'm being honest. "The Originals" is a spin-off that revolves around, well, The Originals. We follow Klaus, Rebecca, Elijah, and Hayley as they move to New Orleans; Hayley in search of her biological family, and the rest trying to take back their position as the somewhat "founders" of the city from a vampire named Marcel who has taken all the credit. What I particularly think makes this better then it's counter part is that it is not all about love triangles, there is more then that. This show revolves around family and about protecting them, and the willingness to do anything for them if in danger. All of the women on this show are strong, and independent. Even pregnant Hayley is no damsel in distress. Overall I think this is a much more interesting show then The Vampire Diaries, and if you already aren't watching you should!
Teen, 16 years old Written byMormont November 24, 2013

The Original

Adult Written byJ-Yo December 17, 2014

Captivating Show

I understand why Common Sense gave the show 3 stars, but this review is just for the first season. I am writing this after the midseason finale of 2– which has been OUTSTANDING. Season 1 was decent, but the writers really upped their game this time around. It adds intrigue and the most compelling family drama I've ever seen (family drama us usually banal, but these characters are over 1000 years old and they're all smart, manipulative, and still really care about each other). The sex is minimal; all that's seen on screen is some heavy kissing and maybe some shirtless-ness. It does have great messages about what the word "family" entails, what loyalty you owe them, and why sticking together is always a good thing. The Vampire Diaries is about romance, but The Originals is very much about sibling relationships. The women also gain in power, becoming a force to be reckoned with.
Adult Written byEsther Marker December 16, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written bymahnoorh October 15, 2014

Teen, 16 years old Written byizzybelle August 22, 2014

brilliant

this is a brillaint tv programme that from the first episode i was hooked on, i never watched the vampire diaries before and still havnt yet i have found it easy to undertstand what is going on in the plot. it lost a star because sometimes it is slightly repetitive however the plot line is brilliant and original and i would defonatly advise it for anyone over 14 years of age.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byJillanjake2 April 4, 2014

A very violent film betral and violence is the main concern klaus try's to kill his younger sister who could not put up a fight
Teen, 14 years old Written bygwhitney March 5, 2014

LOVE THIS SHOW!

I started watching Vampire Diaries which is how I found out about The Originals. I love this spin-off and would recommend it to everyone but I think that you have to be 13 to 14 and above. There is a lot of drinking and violence because they are well... vampires. One of the latest episodes though included one of the main girls being controlled by a witch that was making her see zombie like victims of a fever. I think that you just have to make sure your kids will not be disturbed by the violence in the film.